Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,025 members, 7,976,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 03:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14003) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12594774 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14000) (14001) (14002) (14003) (14004) (14005) (14006) ... (16815) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 9:43pm On Dec 13, 2022
Brazil would've performed better than this. They should've sealed it in extra time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:43pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

No one made that insinuation. It takes bits to build a team. One thing we lack is coordinates midfield play. We can improve, (not final solution) by selecting better natural passers of the ball. Kelechi Nwakali is one of our best. Unless you have a better suggestion.
How come this our best was ignored by Rohr throughout his more than 5 years stint? With Eguavoen, he was in the fringes. Now with Peseiro, no show yet.

Toh me I've settled with the guy being invited because the argument is tiring.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 9:44pm On Dec 13, 2022
You too like wahala. cheesy grin
TheGoodJoe:

I guess all the brilliant passing combinations Argentina has delivered today, stringing intelligent passes, you did not see one.

When Manchester City won the league four times in five seasons, you did not see their passing.

Na wa.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 9:45pm On Dec 13, 2022
Messi my man grin grin

Odogwu

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 9:53pm On Dec 13, 2022
mostob:
Football Live TV is not working bro
Sorry man, it works for me though. I think those streaming guys are being hacked. But I had downloaded live football tv a while back and it is still working.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:56pm On Dec 13, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Match don end?
match don end? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:58pm On Dec 13, 2022
benji93:
You too like wahala. cheesy grin

Read what you are quoting. I am saying when Argentina held he ball, they did so brilliantly. They transitioned the ball in a nice fashion. They were not making poor passes.

That has nothing to do with stats. I said passing combinations. Not high possession.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:58pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

We are talking football, not Spain. Losing a game does not make a system bad. It is what happened in the long run. Spain getting knocked off does not make the system bad, just like City losing games.

In the long run, the good results add up.

Spain has been too successful. This is just a blip. Most teams are not as successful and consistent as them.
My lecturer in the University used to say if the reason for a thing ceases to exist, the thing ceases to exist.

The system Spain uses is meant to win games. It's not giving them that result. The system might have gotten them result ten years ago, the system might still be getting results for Man City but not for Spain anymore. I trust Oyinbo. They always evaluate and re-evaluate. They will not remain with this system just they way it is. They won't. They will abandon it or tweak it. Spain was not made for tiki taka but tiki taka for Spain.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:00pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

How come this our best was ignored by Rohr throughout his more than 5 years stint? With Eguavoen, he was in the fringes. Now with Peseiro, no show yet.

Toh me I've settled with the guy being invited because the argument is tiring.

The answer lies in that for years, we still can't string passes. Our midfield play is terrible. Why? Poor midfield selection and playing pattern.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:00pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

The answer lies in that for years now, we still can't string passes. Our midfield play is terrible. Why? Poor midfield selection and playing pattern.
stop capping and go to bed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:01pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

My lecturer in the University used to say if the reason for a thing ceases to exist, the thing ceases to exist.

The system Spain uses is meant to win games. It's not giving them that result. The system might have gotten them result ten years ago, the system might still be getting results for Man City but not for Spain anymore. I trust Oyinbo. They always evaluate and re-evaluate. They will not remain with this system just they way it is. They won't. They will abandon it or tweak it. Spain was not made for tiki taka but tiki taka for Spain.

Spain reached the Semi finals of the Euros and came second in the Nations League. They did so winning games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:02pm On Dec 13, 2022
charlesemeka85:
stop capping and go to bed

Is that all you got?

You still have not proposition to help the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:04pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

3 wins since 2010 at the WC is miles away not even from the top nations but from their own levels.

Semi in the Euros is a blip. You are the lone discordant voice in a choir that sings about the woeful performance of Spain.

Semi in Euros and second in the Nations League. You can call doing that in Europe a blip. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:10pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Spain reached the Semi finals of the Euros and came second in the Nations League. They did so winning games.
Big picture. If the entire picture is black, Small patch of white does not change the color.

In 10 years ooo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:13pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

They want to win tournaments not reach semi once in ten years
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:13pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

Big picture. If the entire picture is black, Small patch of white does not change the color.

In 10 years ooo.

Semi in the last Euros and Second Nations League.

When you people post, you think Spain never won a game. In the last World Cup, Spain lost their coach just before the tournament. They had to go with a reserve coach. Your 10 years does not tell the true story.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:14pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

That is how good Spain is. How many top teams state that?

Yet you are critiquing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:15pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

By the way, why are you so eager to avoid that they came second in the Nations League. Does it defeat your theory of them being poor?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:16pm On Dec 13, 2022
cheesy
Mujtahida:

In 10 years ooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 10:24pm On Dec 13, 2022
Bro, ah calm down, person no fit follow you play again? They came alive after the penalty. They were quite scrappy until then. Nothing like brilliant passing anywhere. Look at the opportunity that led to the penalty for example. It was from nowhere. The Croatian backline went to sleep. After a third goal, you are certainly allowed to string passes.
TheGoodJoe:

Read what you are quoting. I am saying when Argentina held he ball, they did so brilliantly. They transitioned the ball in a nice fashion. They were not making poor passes.

That has nothing to do with stats. I said passing combinations. Not high possession.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:26pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

That is how good Spain is. How many top teams state that?

Yet you are critiquing.
A beggar once approached Alexander the great and begged for a piece of coin. Alexander the great ordered that so much should be given to him. The man was overwhelmed and said he was satisfied with the one piece of coin. Alexander the great insisted and told him: you beg like the beggar you are, I give like the king I am.

The Spaniards having tasted the glories of international football do not reason at the pedestrian level where a semi final is a clutch amidst a generally abysmal performance. They have gone past that level.

For a poor student, C is good enough. For an A student, C is a failure. It is such thinking that makes them A students.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:30pm On Dec 13, 2022
Mujtahida:

A beggar once approached Alexander the great and begged for a piece of coin. Alexander the great ordered that so much should be given to him. The man was overwhelmed and said he was satisfied with the one piece of coin. Alexander the great insisted and told him: you beg like the beggar you are, I give like the king I am.

The Spaniards having tasted the glories of international football do not reason at the pedestrian level where a semi final is a clutch amidst a generally abysmal performance. They have gone past that level.

For a poor student, C is good enough. For an A student, C is a failure. It is such thinking that makes them A students.

There is no point in what you are saying here.

You were driving a false narrative that Spain is now poor and the excerpt you posted made it look like Spain were "miles-away" from top teams.

Now you are telling us that Spain doing well is like a beggar and they can do more.

It defeats your idea that Spain is doing badly and tiki taka is dying.

Finito.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 10:30pm On Dec 13, 2022
The point is to win, not to be 'not bad'. Quite mediocre a standard you are setting. In 5 years if your system eventually works we'll revisit the subject, and i'll give you your flowers. Until then if you lose hold your L. Winning is the ultimate test of a system(short and long term). Besides you cannot be comparing Spain getting knocked out to City losing games. Not comparable. Maybe consistently hitting a roadblock in the champions league would be a fair comparison.
TheGoodJoe:

We are talking football, not Spain. Losing a game does not make a system bad. It is what happened in the long run. Spain getting knocked off does not make the system bad, just like City losing games.

In the long run, the good results add up.

Spain has been too successful. This is just a blip. Most teams are not as successful and consistent as them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:31pm On Dec 13, 2022
charlesemeka85:
ziyech was literally begged to rep Holland in international football from the FA and his then club ajax but he turned the offer down maintaining that he wants to play for Morocco

Even one of Dutch ex players called him stupid for choosing Morocco instead of Holland

Hakimi turned the Spanish youth team advances down to rep Morocco too

Moroccans in diaspora has strong link to their heritage and home land and this is carried on to their kids. Also the Moroccan FA employs scouts to monitor the progress of kids with Moroccan ancestry in europe where the bright ones are approached to be integrated to their national teams (u17,20,23 and the snr national team

Also I heard sometime ago that the fa also lure this players with massive incentives which I don’t know how true the claim is
no need to pass fake info, nobody from holland or Ajax begged Ziyech, he wasn’t even an Ajax player when he made his debut for Morocco. He also played a handful of games for the Netherlands youth teams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:34pm On Dec 13, 2022
charlesemeka85:
cheesy
What he does is to hold on to the slightest hem of the garment to press home his point forgetting that matters ought to be evaluated on a scale of preponderance.

As far as the argument regarding Spain's performance is concerned where does the scale tilt if we weigh the evidence of their performance over a period of 10 years?

He's even using nations league to argue. Like make person use Chan argue. Before argument ensue that Chan and nations league are not the same, the point is that these are tournaments with low pedigree. Nations League is just burgeoning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:35pm On Dec 13, 2022
benji93:
The point is to win, not to be 'not bad'. Quite mediocre a standard you are setting. In 5 years if your system eventually works we'll revisit the subject, and i'll give you your flowers. Until then if you lose hold your L. Winning is the ultimate test of a system(short and long term). Besides you cannot be comparing Spain getting knocked out to City losing games. Not comparable. Maybe consistently hitting a roadblock in the champions league would be a fair comparison.

I do not think of football in a shallow manner. I watched Spain lose to Nigeria in France 98, and while our players were dancing and celebrating, I said to myself, "Why did Nigeria not play the ball like them?"

That is why when people were clapping for Rhor, I was shaking my head and saying, we will go nowhere with this. With time, Nigeria climbed down the ladder and Spain dominated world football.

I have said it repeatedly here. I am not a result kind of person. I am more concerned with growth. With time, results favor growth.

So you can wait for five years and then celebrate Spain for winning the World Cup in 2010. I admired them in 1998.

Finito.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:38pm On Dec 13, 2022
benji93:
Bro, ah calm down, person no fit follow you play again? They came alive after the penalty. They were quite scrappy until then. Nothing like brilliant passing anywhere. Look at the opportunity that led to the penalty for example. It was from nowhere. The Croatian backline went to sleep. After a third goal, you are certainly allowed to string passes.

From the onset, Argentina played brilliant passing combinations. Many of them with players in close proximity. Way before the penalty.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43pm On Dec 13, 2022
I am mentally built differently. I do not think short-term. Argentina might be celebrating today but Croatia won my heart. Zlatco Dalic impressed me today. I believe in the system and it brings results in the long term.

I see potential and I am interested in seeing how the team develops.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:46pm On Dec 13, 2022
jihday:
no need to pass fake info, nobody from holland or Ajax begged Ziyech, he wasn’t even an Ajax player when he made his debut for Morocco. He also played a handful of games for the Netherlands youth teams.
oga no need to sound aggressive like say I dey drag ur babe/wife with you

Ziyech dumping the Dutch for Morocco caused major outcry within Dutch football circles because he was already rated as a top talent for the future

Make ur findings

https://www.besoccer.com/new/they-called-him-stupid-for-choosing-morocco-but-time-has-proved-him-right-328922

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:46pm On Dec 13, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

There is no point in what you are saying here.

You were driving a false narrative that Spain is now poor and the excerpt you posted made it look like Spain were "miles-away" from top teams.

Now you are telling us that Spain doing well is like a beggar and they can do more.

It defeats your idea that Spain is doing badly and tiki taka is dying.

Finito.
You missed the central and only point of the anecdote. The story is not about rich or poor. Beggar or king. Let us penetrate beyond forms and grasp meanings. The story is about standards and judgment. Every man is judged according to certain standards. Judging Spain's performance according to Spain's standards, the conclusion by Spaniards and international media (not goodjoe) is that their performance in 10 years is poor and that tiki taka is boring.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:46pm On Dec 13, 2022
Please house, I need answers to a particular question.

Do referees stay till tournament end or leave for home before the final.

Like, can they just go home after the group stage (for example) or all of them must stay till the final match has been played?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:47pm On Dec 13, 2022
I still remember the first day I saw Arteta playing for PSG. I was in awe. I watched him like I was studying a textbook. He made it look so simple. He cut down his thinking time with fast actions.

What will be of this young man in the future? Today, he is a sound football tactician.

That is why when Mancini became coach of Manchester City, I stopped supporting Manchester United.

Manchester United had the results but I saw a long-term success in City.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14000) (14001) (14002) (14003) (14004) (14005) (14006) ... (16815) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joebie, minfelix(m), enlady(f), bennie1980(m), robosky02(m), kingphilip(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.