Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,961 members, 7,876,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 11:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16231) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12007779 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16228) (16229) (16230) (16231) (16232) (16233) (16234) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:05am On May 29
isan:
The expansion take effect next year , from next year the u17 world cup will also be played annually for the next 4 years
Is there an U17 WC this year? I just want to know for which AFCON the current tourney is being used as qualification format.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 7:28am On May 29
Like CAF, like NFF.

Let's assume Ivory coast crashed out in the semifinals, does that mean they wouldn't qualify for AFCON since only the two finalists are picked?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aicon4s: 7:59am On May 29
Danielnino00:
undecided

This your formation get Q-Leg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aicon4s: 8:11am On May 29
mostob:
Like CAF, like NFF.

Let's assume Ivory coast crashed out in the semifinals, does that mean they wouldn't qualify for AFCON since only the two finalists are picked?

Africans are always architects of their own down fall. So CAF wants to maintain the same 12 team format and 10 out of the 12 will qualify. Then the tournament is no longer competitive. We should expect to see likes of Ethiopia, Kenya, South-Sudan and co to play at the WC while some West African giants with huge talent rot away.
How can Africa present 10 representatives and neither Nigeria nor Ghana will be there. It means something is wrong with the qualifying series. Why should WAFU even agree to this satanic zoning thing in the first place, putting Nigeria, CIV, Ghana and Burkina Faso into one box to battle for initially one then later two slots. For any U17 Tourney two of these four nations have the potentials to play in the Semis or Final. It has happened several times. These four are among the most successful U17 Teams in Africa. The other two teams are Mali and Guinea who are still WAFU nations.

So if CIV had lost out in the Semis, only the winner of Zone B could have qualified for the CAF U17? Now, this is when we will know if we truly have NFF leadership and also if the WAFU Leaders are worth anything.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 8:46am On May 29
komekn:

VO is aggressively direct using pace as his main weapon not technical ability as well as aerial prowess.

Boniface is the opposite he is deceptive and unpredictable that is his unique selling point but not so direct.

I think it's question of who you are playing and what strategy you adopt.

I don't think they can play together, VO needs a pyramid structure with him as the point man. Where as Boniface can play a more intricate passing game and play more in.

💯💯💯

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:47am On May 29
aicon4s:

Africans are always architects of their own down fall. So CAF wants to maintain the same 12 team format and 10 out of the 12 will qualify. Then the tournament is no longer competitive. We should expect to see likes of Ethiopia, Kenya, South-Sudan and co to play at the WC while some West African giants with huge talent rot away.
How can Africa present 10 representatives and neither Nigeria nor Ghana will be there. It means something is wrong with the qualifying series. Why should WAFU even agree to this satanic zoning thing in the first place, putting Nigeria, CIV, Ghana and Burkina Faso into one box to battle for initially one then later two slots. For any U17 Tourney two of these four nations have the potentials to play in the Semis or Final. It has happened several times. These four are among the most successful U17 Teams in Africa. The other two teams are Mali and Guinea who are still WAFU nations.

So if CIV had lost out in the Semis, only the winner of Zone B could have qualified for the CAF U17? Now, this is when we will know if we truly have NFF leadership and also if the WAFU Leaders are worth anything.

The simple solution is to start a nations league kind of certain. It will help serious and early preparation and earlier congregation of players. Or start a pot A and Pot B format. Let teams with better history have chances to qualify.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 9:41am On May 29
WAFU needs to start pulling it's weight in CAF. No one is dragging Rugby, cricket or hockey with these guys.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 9:45am On May 29
Why is everyone going after Pep Gardiola's assistants. First was Arsenal Arteta, now Chelsea going after Enzo, then Bayern after Kompany. cool

My country had similar opportunity but threw it in the bin and went for a man who said formation is not important in soccer. grin

I really hope banana banana and Rohr will not stop Nigerians from seeing their favorite players at the world cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Alfryd: 9:48am On May 29
🎙 Formations, those are just jagons - Manu Garba U17 coach 🤣🤣

🎙Certainly, the post raises a pertinent question regarding the prevalence of formation deficiencies among Nigerian coaches. It is crucial for coaches to establish a formation and clearly define their team's strategic approach. Execution without a comprehensive understanding of the necessary tactics to counter opponents' strategies is insufficient.

Formation goes beyond merely positioning players; it serves as the foundation for providing instructions on how players should approach matches and respond to various situations. Football encompasses more than simply placing players on the field; it demands a coach with a profound understanding of the game, tactical proficiency, and effective in-game management skills to address unforeseen circumstances.

It is essential to clarify that not all Nigerian coaches share the same shortcomings.

✍️ David Doherty
Football Administrator

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zxddwX: 11:24am On May 29
Explore the wonders of Indonesia with Top Indonesia Tours by "Go Find Orient." From Bali’s pristine beaches to Yogyakarta’s cultural treasures and Komodo’s unique wildlife, our expertly curated tours offer authentic experiences and seamless travel arrangements. Enjoy personalized service tailored to your interests for an unforgettable adventure. Visit Go Find Orient to start planning your dream Indonesian getaway today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:39am On May 29
Alfryd:
🎙 Formations, those are just jagons - Manu Garba U17 coach 🤣🤣

🎙Certainly, the post raises a pertinent question regarding the prevalence of formation deficiencies among Nigerian coaches. It is crucial for coaches to establish a formation and clearly define their team's strategic approach. Execution without a comprehensive understanding of the necessary tactics to counter opponents' strategies is insufficient.

Formation goes beyond merely positioning players; it serves as the foundation for providing instructions on how players should approach matches and respond to various situations. Football encompasses more than simply placing players on the field; it demands a coach with a profound understanding of the game, tactical proficiency, and effective in-game management skills to address unforeseen circumstances.

It is essential to clarify that not all Nigerian coaches share the same shortcomings.

✍️ David Doherty
Football Administrator

Won't be surprised that he said this if this is true.

Somehow, Finidi now Manu, who else will follow?

These guys are getting worse and repping in terrible ways for even those that don't have such school of thought.

Formation is crap yet they'll do 4 defenders at the back in all their games. Why not kukuma do 2 defenders and play 235 or 226?

Another thing that pisses me off about Nigerian coaches is how they speak at post match press conferences. It Is archaic and shows low level of intelligence most of the time. Someone pls get them a PR expert so they can at least be chased after outside the boundaries of Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 12:43pm On May 29
daveP:

Won't be surprised that he said this if this is true.

Somehow, Finidi now Manu, who else will follow?

These guys are getting worse and repping in terrible ways for even those that don't have such school of thought.

Formation is crap yet they'll do 4 defenders at the back in all their games. Why not kukuma do 2 defenders and play 235 or 226?

Another thing that pisses me off about Nigerian coaches is how they speak at post match press conferences. It Is archaic and shows low level of intelligence most of the time. Someone pls get them a PR expert so they can at least be chased after outside the boundaries of Nigeria.

He said it, seen the video. This is probably the 3rd Nigerian coach saying this the last 1 year. First Ladan Bosso, then Finidi George now Manu Garba. It begs the question, is this systemic? Does this reflect the philosophical bedrock of the NIS?

Very concerning
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:50pm On May 29
lovewins:

He said it, seen the video. This is probably the 3rd Nigerian coach saying this the last 1 year. First Ladan Bosso, then Finidi George now Manu Garba. It begs the question, is this systemic? Does this reflect the philosophical bedrock of the NIS?

Very concerning

Finidi george didn’t say formations are not important na…where una Dey c dis infos sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:16pm On May 29
Odunayaw:
I hear you. Ability is the problem not age. If anyone cut his age to 8yrs old and has no ability it is a waste of time. So NPFL's problem is not age.

I wonder when people will get the point you raised above. Na to dey tell us about modern game as if no be the same round leather game again. But sha... agenda must agend...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:41pm On May 29
komekn:

Dude 😎 be reasonable stop this.

It's like saying it's because I went to village school 🎒 and others went to Lekki British school.

That's why I don't know book 📚

Just to buttress the allegation you are making now.... isn't that what you normally do when it comes to Nwakali? Just saying ni O... I don press ur mumu button, whine you join... Oya begin dey perform

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:55pm On May 29
TheGoodJoe:

Nice video and well laced.

For the team, the elements of play is there. There are promising signs. However, I have really not seen a standout talent yet. Someone that tickles my mind. The kind of feeling I got watching Musa Yahaya when he played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkGaZ0IXWZQ

Still early. Let us see how the team develops but I feel there is need for injection of more talents.

See as you let me go sleep for YouTube with this highlights, had gone and watched our glory days there including Atlanta 96,

if ma Data finish you go reimburse me ooo 😁😁

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 2:00pm On May 29
elyte89:

Finidi george didn’t say formations are not important na…where una Dey c dis infos sef

At the very least be sure you're right before disputing. There is literally a video of him saying this. This is is exact words in quote

"My philosophy is to win, for me formation is not that important because if players interpret when to attack and when to defend, and they do it well there will not be any problems".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:01pm On May 29
do4luv14:

See as you let me go sleep for YouTube with this highlights, had gone and watched our glory days there including Atlanta 96,

if ma Data finish you go reimburse me ooo 😁😁

😂
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:05pm On May 29
TheGoodJoe:

😂

Osimhen scoring with his head no Start from Naples, the guy na confirm headmaster

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:05pm On May 29
joelsteron:
Why is everyone going after Pep Gardiola's assistants. First was Arsenal Arteta, now Chelsea going after Enzo, then Bayern after Kompany. cool

My country had similar opportunity but threw it in the bin and went for a man who said formation is not important in soccer. grin

I really hope banana banana and Rohr will not stop Nigerians from seeing their favorite players at the world cup.

For years I cried, begged and wailed, but many refused to listen. "SOAK KNOWLEDGE".

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 2:14pm On May 29
TheGoodJoe:
A tear drop almost left my eyes watching this video. Nigeria was robbed of a gem with the way Mikel Obi was handled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9F3ABqFxI

Handled by who?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:23pm On May 29
kennysville:

Handled by who?

Mourinho/Chelsea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 2:34pm On May 29
Yet we have won the most under 17! The truth remains no country does open trail in this day and age! It is simply a waste of time and valuable resources! If you know a country that does you can post it!
TheGoodJoe:

Most countries have good investment and structure to assimilate and build talents. We don't. We can't abandon what works for us to adopt a system that will not work for us because of being like most countries.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 2:37pm On May 29
Why are you guys so ignorant? Are they coaching National teams?
joelsteron:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 2:39pm On May 29
Refused to listen as in how? Are they coaching National teams? They have not achieved anything tangible yet! Relax!
TheGoodJoe:

For years I cried, begged and wailed, but many refused to listen. "SOAK KNOWLEDGE".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 2:40pm On May 29
lovewins:

The biggest blunder any Super Eagles coach will make us forcing Boniface into a lineup that includes Osimhen. Osimhen/Boniface or Osimhen/Awoniyi doesn't work, previous trials have proven that.

Maybe it could work in the future with the right coach, but right now, one of them has to come in from the bench.

It would ultimately depend on the formation and the complement of players. That's why these players are professionals. If we have the right tactical setup, we can get what we want. Mind you I am not saying you are incorrect. Sometimes we speak from a perspective of preferences and not tactics. I remember the Nigeria/Ghana nations cup match where Tijani Babangida was deployed to the left wing against South Africa because Bonfrere noticed that Neil Tovey was injured and was slow. That was a tactical deployment which paid off.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:42pm On May 29
TheGoodJoe:

Only to get get whooped by a disjointed Manchester United team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 2:44pm On May 29
caprikon:
I just hope Chuks can rediscover his AFCON 2019 form....the attacking Trident should look more like.

Lookman......Osimhen/Boni/Awo....Chuks

Chuks is highly inconsistent without being sentimental. This has been the case for the last 2 afcons. Inverted wingers that cannot cross but think they can go solo dribbling 5 people. He needs to redefine what his role as a winger is and appropriate accordingly.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:58pm On May 29
Marjoribanks:
Osimhen out injured! Our strikers are either out of form or injured! Hmmm!
Only Lookman is fit! Wahala!

What about Boniface, Moffi,etc and I think Elijah Adebayo should have been in the mix

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:01pm On May 29
chrisooblog:
Boniface scored in his last league game same with Onuachu. There's still fire power but Osimhen will be missed for his X factor

Agreed 💯 without question ⁉️

But many a striker has been born out of desperate circumstances, let's see what Boniface can do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:03pm On May 29
TheGoodJoe:

Yaya Toure has never played as a striker. Like never. Instinctively and training, he will be behind Onuachu.

Dude 😎 he doesn't have to he is that good if he did he would have been a definite possibility for the golden boot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 3:06pm On May 29
kennysville:

Chuks is highly inconsistent without being sentimental. This has been the case for the last 2 afcons. Inverted wingers that cannot cross but think they can go solo dribbling 5 people. He needs to redefine what his role as a winger is and appropriate accordingly.

The inconsistency part for Chuks is pretty obvious.
There can be a fluid front three with crosses supplied by the full/wing backs depending on the formation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16228) (16229) (16230) (16231) (16232) (16233) (16234) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mank1234(m), Christinu2 and 28 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.