Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,246 members, 7,894,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 10:56 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16237) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12105405 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16234) (16235) (16236) (16237) (16238) (16239) (16240) ... (16445) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Truidstarr: 1:39am On May 31
elunico:

Of all our players that made the AFCON team of the tournament, Ekong, Aina, & Lookman, none of them were Home bred.

So, what's your point?
Them don come back. Better to ignore.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 4:06am On May 31
charlesemeka85:
Laliga club Sevilla among clubs interested in super eagles midfielder Wilfred Ndidi

I think he has rejected their offer

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 4:46am On May 31
Marjoribanks:
Finidi should play 4-3-3.

Osayi-----------Awaziem-------Ajayi---------------Bassey

........--------Onyeka/Onyedika ----Ndidi

-----------------------------Iwobi

-----Lookman-------------------------------------Boniface

---------------------------Iheanacho

Iheanacho as false 9 in an Havertz role will bring the best out of Mola and Boni! Iheanacho passing and striking technique will bring needed fluidity to our attack.
I think Awaziem and Ajayi are not fast enough and the Southies usually attack with pace.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 5:14am On May 31
I have the same fear but no other choice! We can't start a home-based player in such an important match!
I still think Awaziem will be able to match their pace than Ekong did! Ndidi and Onyeka combo will slow them down too!
AndSunGorilla:

I think Awaziem and Ajayi are not fast enough and the Southies usually attack with pace.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 6:22am On May 31
Meliforme:

For the following words in quotes "Finidi wants to teach the players his philosophy of attacking (which is deep) and defending (which is also deep)"

How did you know that those are Finidi's philosophy?

Even if they are, those words stem from confusion, because you saying it can't even explain it.

I just want to know if Finidi in any way made those insinuations.
Does Finidi even have a philosophy? 🙄 And we never saw it in Enyimba after 2yrs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:10am On May 31
yinkeys:

Ajayi will struggle in that position
Best to switch with Tiaminu
Is Tiaminu not a left footer ?
They will bully Yusuf off the ball
Onyeka should preferably play the box to box roll
With Onyeka and Ndidi pairing in the middle
I see us crushing teams lol

Agreed 💯 with the bold , Dude huffs and puffs but doesn't blow anybody away he also very light weight and very little invention.

A midfield of Onyeka and Ndidi will lack invention and creativity. Play one not both .

Don't know anything about Tiaminu so is he better than Ajayi ,just trust that Finidi is very familiar with the NPFL.

I don't see us crushing teams see us struggling but winning.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:13am On May 31
Marjoribanks:
I have the same fear but no other choice! We can't start a home-based player in such an important match!
I still think Awaziem will be able to match their pace than Ekong did! Ndidi and Onyeka combo will slow them down too!

Awaziem the slowest player in the team, should not be in the team.

We are recycling again instead of looking for new and improved players 😔
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 8:15am On May 31
komekn:

Agreed 💯 with the bold , Dude huffs and puffs but doesn't blow anybody away he also very light weight and very little invention.

A midfield of Onyeka and Ndidi will lack invention and creativity. Play one not both .

Don't know anything about Tiaminu so is he better than Ajayi ,just trust that Finidi is very familiar with the NPFL.

I don't see us crushing teams see us struggling but winning.
If we play 3-4-3
You do réalisé that Frank Onyeka’s true position is box to box and not DM like he’s regularly used in Nigeria
And that position is critical to driving the ball up front as well as making the numbers when we defend or attack. He’s got energy for it and should be made to play where he prefers to play
We shouldn’t make the mistake of pairing a DM with a creative midfielder in that formation because it hindered Alex Iwobi at AFCON
Double pivot pairing would favour a b2b and a dm rather than a dm and a cm/am
I meant Ajayi should be played where he was used at Afcon and not the left defensive side

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:21am On May 31
EEGA:
Replace Ndidi with Rapheal Onyedika if you want more of building from the rear, as he is the only midfielder who can comfortably drop to the defence(functioning as a DLP).

Yusuf starts as the perfect box2box midfielder, since Onyeka isn't available.He has the work rate.

This is a crucial WC qualifier game.You don't
just have to attack and attack.You must keep it tight at the back.

Sodiq Ismail is the only player in my starting line-up who have not played with the team before.

Aribo shouldn't be starting a game of this magnitude since he is yet to recover his form.

Raphael Onyedika and Ndidi should not start as a midfied pair.From our friendly against Mali, there seem to be no clear definition of roles.One should start ahead of the other.

Aribo has been one of the most outstanding players for Southampton and pivotal in getting them promoted back 🔙 to the EPL.

He is an offensive player that has creativity and invention.

You just said he is yet to recover form.🤔🤔

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Truidstarr: 8:24am On May 31
zicky:
Does Finidi even have a philosophy? 🙄 And we never saw it in Enyimba after 2yrs.
We no need philosophy… we need 6 points any which way. Una fit do philosophy during tournament situation.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:29am On May 31
Marjoribanks:
Finidi should play 4-3-3.

Osayi-----------Awaziem-------Ajayi---------------Bassey

........--------Onyeka/Onyedika ----Ndidi

-----------------------------Iwobi

-----Lookman-------------------------------------Boniface

---------------------------Iheanacho

Iheanacho as false 9 in an Havertz role will bring the best out of Mola and Boni! Iheanacho passing and striking technique will bring needed fluidity to our attack.

KC has just had a season to forget he was supposed to tear the championship apart but rather he got torn apart and whipped in the Championship.

He is not in form should not even be in the team.

Striking technique and has scored 5 goals from 23 games in the Championship.

They should find a NPFL player to come in, it seems Aribo is not in the team so where is the creativity and invention in midfield going to come from. It seems all creativity and invention will rest on Iwobi 😳

SA forget the players are a very good team with outstanding cohesion and team understanding they are technically good if we underestimate them we will cry 😭

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:33am On May 31
yinkeys:

If we play 3-4-3
You do réalisé that Frank Onyeka’s true position is box to box and not DM like he’s regularly used in Nigeria
And that position is critical to driving the ball up front as well as making the numbers when we defend or attack. He’s got energy for it and should be made to play where he prefers to play
We shouldn’t make the mistake of pairing a DM with a creative midfielder in that formation because it hindered Alex Iwobi at AFCON
Double pivot pairing would favour a b2b and a dm rather than a dm and a cm/am
I meant Ajayi should be played where he was used at Afcon and not the left defensive side

Onyeka is a water 💦 carries and diesel ⛽ engine, he is non stop running breaking up play , interceptions, tackles physicality. However, he is not technically astute, skilfully superior, creative or inventive and is not a goal scorer.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:35am On May 31
Oasis007:
grin

Honestly I like what Finidi is doing, cos Aina ain't on the List, some fans were quick calling for his head without making inquiry why he didn't make the List.

Shebi una happy to see your faves on the list, now they are getting replaced one by one by players on standby List.

That Ranger LB is a great player, coz he is playing in the NPFL shouldn't disqualify him from repping GWG.

Sanni is a fine dribbler, very good player with Akwa United. If he gets a nod, I expect fans to be blown off with his.skills.

Olawoyin, an outstanding AM for his club. A product of NPFL who also had repped GWG at CHAN level.

Finidi ride on, we stand by you.

Why is Aina not on the list ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:50am On May 31
lbrichman2:

I don't just think so.. I know so
You think Mourinho wouldn't have jumped at any of the big jobs that were opened if they wanted him?

He would definitely get a job but now he's being linked with clubs in Saudi and Turkey

So maybe yes, he would take those jobs if offered
But the big time?
Everyone seems to have moved past him..

I will however not rule out the fact that he can make a come back to the big leagues
But as we speak today, no big club is considering him and that says a lot..

Painful for me as a huge Mourinho fan
I have followed him everywhere since Chelsea
Now I never know where we dey go
Lol

Sorry to say6you are not a True JM fan,

lemme ask you, who was supposed to be the new Chelsea Coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:01am On May 31
Subzerooo:

No 1. No club is putting money in to buy him because he costs $0

No 2. The only thing it reflects are that clubs want to get a decent defender and it reflects zero money spent in their books

No3. The fact that you are relying on the Sun who you would have dismissed as gossip if it's any locally born player shows how desperate you are

Why are you degrading the discourse with misrepresentation and disinformation.

First of we are talking about bids and offers to Tosin Adarabayo by Manchester United, Newcastle, Chelsea, and others all waiting on the sidelines.

I quoted just three different media reference points not just the SUN , why would you denigrate matters with UNTRUTHS.

But let me dispense your intended misinformation with several other references point's from the media.

Mbappe is a free agent it doesn't mean he is going to to be cheap. You can still negotiate a signing fee and salary that can get up to £50 million. So Tosin being free 🆓 agent is not 🚫 going to be cheap. It mean it will not be reflected as out and out purchase and expenditure will be recurrent for wages.

He is attractive because he is one of the best CB in the EPL.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:06am On May 31
mancoconut:
The Suleiman Sani kid is an exciting player, saw him up close for Akwa utd and was mesmerized at his jaw-dropping skill, intelligence and decision making, kid won't be in the NPFL for long...I'm sorry to say this but Chukwueze won't be missed (quote me anywhere). I've learned not to be swayed by shiny toys simply because a player is in Europe.

Ibrahim Olawoyin is a breath of fresh air, can play as a natural AMF and also from the wing, with Fisayo dele-bashiru and Ibrahim Olawoyin, Iwobi's creative responsibilities and burdens should be more or less over now. Smart replacements by Finidi.

I sincerely hope what you are saying is true ❤️, that will usher in a whole new era of players going directly from the NPFL to clubs in Europe.

Finidi is very familiar with the league and I expect he should pick out the outstanding players who can really add value.

That if it comes to pass, will be a HUGE BREATH of FRESH AIR.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 9:38am On May 31
komekn:

KC has just had a season to forget he was supposed to tear the championship apart but rather he got torn apart and whipped in the Championship.

They should find a NPFL player to come in, it seems Aribo is not in the team so where is the creativity and invention in midfield going to come from. It seems all creativity and invention will rest on Iwobi 😳

SA forget the players are a very good team with outstanding cohesion and team understanding they are technically good if we underestimate them we will cry 😭
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Ibrahim Olawoyin are both creative midfielders for Antalyaspor and Rizespor respectively.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 9:42am On May 31
komekn:

Why is Aina not on the list ❓
I think he is injured.

Aina doesn't offer defensive solidity on the right. He has more attacking attributes.

If we must play him, we must be sure, we have a solid Central defender on the right to cover for his defensive lapses as was evident in the final game of the AFCON.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:55am On May 31
EEGA:
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Ibrahim Olawoyin are both creative midfielders for Antalyaspor and Rizespor respectively.
Fisayo plays for Hatayaspor
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:10am On May 31
ChrisKels:
I'm of the opinion that our number 10 shirt be given to Ademola Lookman.

In terms of performance, dude looks like he is finally being that replacement for Victor Moses that we have always wanted him to be. Though VicMo never wore the number 10 shirt, but it will look good on Lookman since Iwobi does not seem interested in it. It is an eyesore seeing our most revered jersey number on Aribo with his pedigree and constant below par performance.
Giving the number 10 to Aribo was a mistake right from time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:10am On May 31
komekn:

[/b]KC has just had a season to forget he was supposed to tear the championship apart but rather he got torn apart and whipped in the Championship.[b]

You got me crying with your statement 😂

Kc get luck say no be me be coach he would have gotten the rashford treatment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dijon: 10:17am On May 31
THE RETURN OF THE ERA OF CALCULATOR IN SE QUALIFICATION MATCHES.

I observe from a distance the shenanigans adopted by the NFF after reclaiming our position as a very top country in Afcon.

Firstly, it took the NFF rocket science to appoint a substantive manager to manage the SE after the debacle of plethora of seasoned applicants applications received.

Secondly, the preparation towards the crucial and very important two world cup qualifying matches to take place in June is pathetic, disturbing and demoralising. All manners of quick fix and emergency call ups flying about.
New fresh legs (debutant) invited to play a Bafana Bafana team that has been on the rise for two years now and playing together like a team and dangerous unit not to talk of a Benin republic team that has about 4 Nigerian players and a technical bench full of vengeance.

Observation: Bafana Bafana has always been a tough juggernaut for the SE of recent. It has always been either they beat us at home or we barely escape with very slim margin/victory in competitions played out of Nigeria (Afcon).
Coupled with this abysmal preparation( inexperienced gaffer, withdrawals and debutant call ups) and playing a prepared, tested and refined SA team,its going to be a very long night for SE in UYO.

My verdict: This two matches came too early for the gaffer and there is nothing he will add to the playing style of the SE but only a disjointed, chaotic display and SE will only take one point from six maximum point in the June matches and this will be the albatross not qualifying for the World Cup.

NOTE: Please this is my personal opinion from a mindset free from emotional sentiment after I have carefully listened to the NFF and study what transpired right from the end of the Afcon in mid February to May 31st 2024 in relation to the NFF,appointment of a new manager, selection of players, withdrawals and emergency call ups.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 10:26am On May 31
komekn:

Aribo cannot create anything from midfield. He is at best a forward. He is just there. It's either he plays as a forward or he is dropped from the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:34am On May 31
Marjoribanks:
I think the real issue is his cost, fitness and character. Even the club president complained about it! Guirassy, Jackson, Salah, Kudus etc were even worse at AFCON yet clubs want them!
He can't just stay fit for a long period of time. No team will spend such amount on such a player with this FFP crap!

He should have left last season when a lot of teams were looking for strikers.

My advise for him would be to remain at Napoli and remain fit! They would come for him next summer! All those average strikers would flop again!

Man United, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, PSG, Liverpool, Bayern etc will be back in the market for strikers!
I dunno if the ffp issue is part problem. His evaluation was followed by some new adjustments and that alone will make his topmost suitors to be cautious than normal. Annoying situation. Also, as you said, this injury issue. I want to see a scenario by next year where the physio of the new team works on that and everyone wonders why he doesn't get injured as before. It will shut naysayers up. I really want him to leave Napoli. Play is feeling somehow to me already. Up to him sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:37am On May 31
lbrichman2:

He should stay in Napoli, score 20+ goals next season and they will be back for him..
He's in a very strong position contract wise, he doesn't need to rush or try to force a move
Having no european football the next season after winning Apoty doesn't boil down well with me. It's counterproductive from my POV.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:45am On May 31
EEGA:
I think he is injured.

Aina doesn't offer defensive solidity on the right. He has more attacking attributes.

If we must play him, we must be sure, we have a solid Central defender on the right to cover for his defensive lapses as was evident in the final game of the AFCON.
Aina was superb defensively and offensively. Everyone could see Aina was not fit in the final, it is little wonder that he returned to his club injured.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:48am On May 31
solonnachi:

I think he has rejected their offer
ook
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:52am On May 31
cool

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:55am On May 31
Komekn …this is aw u knw when a player is ready to commit himself to a nation.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7oJ-YdNNS0/?igsh=YWMzcmdiZWl4a3d4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 11:24am On May 31
Marjoribanks:
Finidi is making some bold decisions with having Taminu and the Rangers LB on the team, it had better not backfire!!!! Otherwise he might leave faster than he came.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06pm On May 31
Meliforme:

For the following words in quotes "Finidi wants to teach the players his philosophy of attacking (which is deep) and defending (which is also deep)"

How did you know that those are Finidi's philosophy?

Even if they are, those words stem from confusion, because you saying it can't even explain it.

I just want to know if Finidi in any way made those insinuations.

My philosophy is to win. For me, formation is not that important, because if players interpret when to attack and when to defend and do it well, there won’t be problems...Finidi George

This is Finidi George's coaching philosophy and when he coached, this is what he intense to pass to players. So I wonder what else he needs to say to highlight what he intense to coach players on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 12:29pm On May 31
lbrichman2:

I don't just think so.. I know so
You think Mourinho wouldn't have jumped at any of the big jobs that were opened if they wanted him?

He would definitely get a job but now he's being linked with clubs in Saudi and Turkey

So maybe yes, he would take those jobs if offered
But the big time?
Everyone seems to have moved past him..

I will however not rule out the fact that he can make a come back to the big leagues
But as we speak today, no big club is considering him and that says a lot..

Painful for me as a huge Mourinho fan
I have followed him everywhere since Chelsea
Now I never know where we dey go
Lol

We going to Fenerbache baby!
Officially a Fenerbache fan from today!!
Let's go create history!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16234) (16235) (16236) (16237) (16238) (16239) (16240) ... (16445) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: opes, Philosopher1979, Samueldodo781(m), elyte89, BankyGee(m), lbrichman2 and 22 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.