Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,757 members, 7,875,900 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1659) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12001525 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1656) (1657) (1658) (1659) (1660) (1661) (1662) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2017
Tru. But that's the kinda comments you get from a typical woman, even from the so called avid soccer fans, when you ask their views on a hot topic like, "Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who is better?"

You'll always hear stuffs like "Ronaldo for me because he's hot".

And I'll like 'woman, this isn't a beauty contest'.

O pari

soetanoreoluwa:

New madam in the house...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2017
MizMyColi:

Oh lawd.
*facepalm* @macauley

This my moniker don hear weehn.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I will first observe how it's being done here.
Lol

I actually have vested interest in football.
It's just not something I talk about on here.

One of the companies I work for handles Stadium branding for the NPFL and NFF.
Like official thing..

So I manage most of the people who do the pitch branding before the main game.

Hopefully from next season, I will be visiting Stadiums regularly as well.

Some of the monikers are familiar, others aren't.

To everyone, I say..
Good Evening.

Lol...

That's cool... And I'm Happy to know that..

At the bold one... You will be useful for us next season then.. grin You can give us update n share some pictures... grin

Through that you are gonna learn more... Just take your time.. Okay?

It's good to observe... And is good to have you here...

Enjoy the rest of the evening!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:37pm On Oct 02, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The truth is that you deliberately pulled a fast one to hide the reviews Keane got for his ability as a brilliant passer. I am just going through the first page of the forum and mostly positives.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-good-was-roy-keane-particularly-his-passing-revisited.404381/

You made it look like they disagreed with Rooney when lots agreed.

You goofed. Let it go because deceit is new low here.

cc: Mujtahida

It is a Man Utd forum anyway. You expect to see people exaggerate things. I picked comments by those who were unbiased.

[b] From my memory, his passing was good. I do think some people are being overly poetic about it though, perhaps to counter the other extreme. If we are constantly saying 'he obviously wasn't a Scholes though' - that is kind of the point. He wasn't a brilliant passer. That's what it means to be a central midfielder who is 'obviously not a Scholes'. I can't think of other midfielders who are not in the Scholes, Pirlo, Alonso etc bracket of passing being remembered for their passing. Doesn't mean they had two left feet, but it wasn't good enough to be called great.
All that 'he didn't play Hollywood passes but was a master at passing it 5 yards so the receiver didn't break stride' - again, just sounds like poetry to me. I believe there are many midfielders not known for their passing who could have the same said about them. They should not be called poor passers but we shouldn't get carried away either. Of course, if Keane was more expansive in his Forest days then fair enough, I don't really recall.[/b]

He wasn't a fantastic/excellent passer by any means, if he was, then what words would we then use to describe Scholes, redondo, pirlo, zidane?

To find people in a Man Utd forum who say he was a rich man's Lee Catermole is an indication to what he truly was all about.

I saw Zidane, Nedved, Scholes, Reycoba, Okocha, Valderama, Riquelme, Rivaldo amongst others, I can't associate Roy Keane being in the same technical level like these guys. I'm sorry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2017
But why didn't the NFF protest this Botswana ref thing sef? Botswana has a affinity with Zambia. It's like asking a Ghanaian ref to officiate in a game between Nigeria and Egypt.

O pari

daveP:
Botswana ref to officiate. Zambia to arrive on thursday 4rm Accra.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:39pm On Oct 02, 2017
Icon79:
Tru. But that's the kinda comments you get from a typical woman, even from the so called avid soccer fans, when you ask their views on a hot topic like, "Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who is better?"

You'll always hear stuffs like "Ronaldo for me because he's hot".

And I'll like 'woman, this isn't a beauty contest'.

O pari

Lol.. I tell you... That's why most ladies love arsenal football Club... Theo Walcott is the man... Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:42pm On Oct 02, 2017
Cybertext in the house...

You are welcome o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:42pm On Oct 02, 2017
Icon79:
But we didn't the NFF protest this Botswana ref thing sef? Botswana has a affinity with Zambia. It's like asking a Ghanaian ref to officiate in a game between Nigeria and Egypt.

O pari

Toh, i thought as much, a kenyan ref as alternative however would kill the game as times past when se was involved. Hope we dont have any bookings on key players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:42pm On Oct 02, 2017
daveP:
the famous nairaland pageants chief judge and co-cord!!

who?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:43pm On Oct 02, 2017
OPPONENTS WATCH:

[Photos] Inside The Marcel Dessailly-Owned Facility Where Zambia Are Training For Super Eagles Clash
October 2, 2017 4:15 pm

By Kayode Ogundare in Accra:

The Chipolopolo of Zambia may have missed a chance to go to Europe to prepare ahead of the World Cup qualifying game against Nigeria but settled for the next best thing when they choose to camp and train in neighbouring Ghana and at a facility owned by former France captain Marcel Dessailly.

The facility, located in the East Legon area of the capital on a large expanse of land has adequate facilities of international standard which could aid in preparing any team for a major championship.

Named the Lizzy Sports Complex, after Dessaily’s mother, the complex boasts of one 11-aside football pitch and three 5-aside astroturf pitches which are all in perfect conditions for playing football.

It also has a semi- olympic sized swimming pool and another one for children. There are also a multi-purpose court for a standard basketball and volleyball court as well as five changing rooms.

--CompleteSportsNigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2017
Daniece1 ...you are welcome... Expecting your input on our upcoming match against Zambia...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Lol.. I tell you... That's why most ladies love arsenal football Club... Theo Walcott is the man... Lol
hehehehehehehehehehehe. bro you nailed it big time.(rethinks the thought and burst into lafta again)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:44pm On Oct 02, 2017
goldfish80:

It is a Man Utd forum anyway. You expect to see people exaggerate things. I picked comments by those who were unbiased.

[b] From my memory, his passing was good. I do think some people are being overly poetic about it though, perhaps to counter the other extreme. If we are constantly saying 'he obviously wasn't a Scholes though' - that is kind of the point. He wasn't a brilliant passer. That's what it means to be a central midfielder who is 'obviously not a Scholes'. I can't think of other midfielders who are not in the Scholes, Pirlo, Alonso etc bracket of passing being remembered for their passing. Doesn't mean they had two left feet, but it wasn't good enough to be called great.
All that 'he didn't play Hollywood passes but was a master at passing it 5 yards so the receiver didn't break stride' - again, just sounds like poetry to me. I believe there are many midfielders not known for their passing who could have the same said about them. They should not be called poor passers but we shouldn't get carried away either. Of course, if Keane was more expansive in his Forest days then fair enough, I don't really recall.[/b]

He wasn't a fantastic/excellent passer by any means, if he was, then what words would we then use to describe Scholes, redondo, pirlo, zidane?

To find people in a Man Utd forum who say he was a rich man's Lee Catermole is an indication to what he truly was all about.

I saw Zidane, Nedved, Scholes, Reycoba, Okocha, Valderama, Riquelme, Rivaldo amongst others, I can't associate Roy Keane being in the same technical level like these guys. I'm sorry

What do you think made Mikel an enigma in 2005 WYC? Do you think he was spraying acrobatic passes allover the field? No it was the metronome passes that made the team tick. Simple but strictly intelligent passes, making the right decisions always.

I watched Mikel and exclaimed. I hope Maradona has seen how to play the ten role. That was the genius of Scholes.

How can you learn when you avoid the multitude of good reviews and hang to a few negative reviews as a balanced report.

The concensus of the thread is Keane was a fantastic passer. It is very clear to even you. The point is exhausted. You have learnt with vast amount of points.

It is up to you to learn or not. The point is clearly made. I will leave you with another quote.

I've never seen a player who dominated games like Keane. Not even Scholes. His excellent passing was integral to that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The truth is that you deliberately pulled a fast one to hide the reviews Keane got for his ability as a brilliant passer. I am just going through the first page of the forum and mostly positives.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-good-was-roy-keane-particularly-his-passing-revisited.404381/

You made it look like they disagreed with Rooney when lots agreed.

You goofed. Let it go because deceit is new low here.

cc: Mujtahida

Another unbiased quote

Roy Keane had 3 abilities that in my opinion made him stand out.

1) He made everyone work close to 100% - everyone was afraid of him, and knew they would get it if they didn't perform.
2) He never lost the ball. You could play the ball to him - almost regardless of where he was, and he would keep the ball. This probably had a lot to do with a lot of players being afraid of Keane, so they wouldn't pressure him the same way they will di Maria.
3) He made the right choices - his passes weren't necessarily brilliant or hard to do - they just were right. He never made it harder than it had to be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2017
Hmmm. And who do they like at Chelsea?

O pari

soetanoreoluwa:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:46pm On Oct 02, 2017
yea, they could've find someone from North Africa - Egypt or Morocco would've been better.

O pari

daveP:
Toh, i thought as much, a kenyan ref as alternative however would kill the game as times past when se was involved. Hope we dont have any bookings on key players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cybertext(m): 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

You are welcome o!

Lol... Busted!

I was really enjoying the Legendary arguments from a ghost mode

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2017
MizMyColi:

Oh lawd. *facepalm* @macauley
I will first observe how it's being done here. Lol
I actually have vested interest in football. It's just not something I talk about on here.
One of the companies I work for handles Stadium branding for the NPFL and NFF. Like official thing..
Thanks for the warm welcome. Some of the monikers are familiar, others aren't.
To everyone, I say.. Good Evening.
(Twale-ing).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2017
goldfish80:

Keep deluding yourself. You should be thanking me for enlightening you about Roy Keane.

This is what I found on reddit forum

" Everything Roy Keane achieved in football wasn't because he was the most talented or the most creative it's because he wanted it more than anyone else. I probably wouldn't like him as a friend but I'd love if he was on my team.
Now he was talented and he was creative but what singled him out was drive. I hate United but his performance against Juventus in the '99 semi-final, especially after he was carded and knew he'd miss the final, was ridiculous.
6"
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/4nrhkc/how_good_was_roy_keane_in_his_prime/.

The first sentence should guide you to know what Roy Keane brought to the table.

Talent and will to win are two different things. Having a huge drive can never take away from ur talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2017
do4luv14:

who?
Her now. she's the one!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2017
Daejoyoung:

I don't think Akpeyi has the confidence of Ezenwa, but it seems to me that Ezenwa could be reckless sometimes.

On two occasions, Ezenwa showed his recklessness while Akpeyi is not trustable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2017
OPPONENTS WATCH:

Zambia Train, Strategize At Marcel Desailly Sports Complex Accra Ahead Nigeria Clash
October 2, 2017 5:23 pm

By Kayode Ogundare in Accra:

The Chipolopolo of Zambia got down to serious business Monday morning with their first training session in Ghana at the Marcel Dessaily Sports Complex in East Legon, Accra under the watchful eyes of coach Wedson Nyirenda and his backroom staff, Completesportsnigeria.com reports. ‎
A total of 16 players trained, with the overseas-based players still expected to join the group later on Monday evening.

The training complex, better known as Lizzy Sports Complex and named after the former World Cup winner’s mother, is located in the East Legon area of the capital and has first rate facilities for football and other sports like basketball and swimming.

--CompleteSportsNigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2017
MizMyColi:

Oh lawd.
*facepalm* @macauley

I will first observe how it's being done here.
Lol

I actually have vested interest in football.
It's just not something I talk about on here.

One of the companies I work for handles Stadium branding for the NPFL and NFF.
Like official thing..

Some of the monikers are familiar, others aren't.

To everyone, I say..
Good Evening.

see as ah jst dey look you since ehn??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2017
goldfish80:

Another unbiased quote

Roy Keane had 3 abilities that in my opinion made him stand out.

1) He made everyone work close to 100% - everyone was afraid of him, and knew they would get it if they didn't perform.
2) He never lost the ball. You could play the ball to him - almost regardless of where he was, and he would keep the ball. This probably had a lot to do with a lot of players being afraid of Keane, so they wouldn't pressure him the same way they will di Maria.
3) He made the right choices - his passes weren't necessarily brilliant or hard to do - they just were right. He never made it harder than it had to be.

Little known fact: van Gaal named Roy Keane as the best player in the world in his WPOTY vote in 2001 - and he was the only person to do so. Given how obsessed van Gaal is with technique, intelligence and possession, you'd have to think Keane was just a little bit better on the ball than some people are making out here. He saw that first hand home and away against his Netherlands side and anyone who saw that game will tell you he controlled the tempo in both games.

The same player you tried to make poor. No matter how you try to dribble, the point is very clear. Keane was a good footballer. A very good one and you were wrong. Learn or Argue. It is up to you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:50pm On Oct 02, 2017
daveP:
Her now. she's the one!

tell me say ah miss road
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:51pm On Oct 02, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What do you think made Mikel an enigma in 2005 WYC? Do you think he was spraying acrobatic passes allover the field? No it was the metronome passes that made the team tick. Simple but strictly intelligent passes, making the right decisions always.

I watched Mikel and exclaimed. I hope Maradona has seen how to play the ten role. That was the genius of Scholes.

How can you learn when you avoid the multitude of good reviews and hang to a few negative reviews as a balanced report.

The concensus of the thread is Keane was a fantastic passer. It is very clear to even you. The point is exhausted. You have learnt with vast amount of points.

It is up to you to learn or not. The point is clearly made. I will leave you with another quote.

Man Utd fanatics will always belive their players were better than they naturally are. Alot of people on the thread had fun exaggerating his abilities.
Even Keane himself will feel flattered if he read some of those comments.

You could see some of those who tried to give an unbiased view of his game were lambasted for not being real Utd fans.
This is one of those unbiased views.

Another unbiased quote

[b] Roy Keane had 3 abilities that in my opinion made him stand out.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2017
Icon79:
yea, they could've find someone from North Africa - Egypt or Morocco would've been better.

O pari

thank goodness we're not in the calculator zone, else we would be permutating the influence of ref on our qualification. Glad our guys are fired up for this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2017
Kog45:
AVB took Chelsea to quarter final?

My man Di Matteo took Chelsea to quarter final after turned d 1st leg 3-1 lost to Napoli in d 2nd leg by winning 4-1.

My man anything to say again

Pls stop ridicule d big boss

Stephen Okechuckwu Keshi made his debut for Eagles in 1981 at d age of 19 and made d team to Libyan 82,later bench Chairman Christian Chuckwu during d tourney.

Keshi remain d youngest player to captain Eagles at age of 22 in 1984 afcon

The big boss left d country in frustration after Group Captain Tony Ikhazoboh ban him from national team just coz he represent NNB in WAFU cup final and couldn't make Lagos camp d same day

As God we have it Stade fc in Abidjan safe his career by signed him up,after 6 months,Lokeren in Belgium came calling and signed for Lokeren.

Keshi moved to Belgian giants Anderlecht after a season with Lokeren and paved way for so many Nigerian players namely Austin Eguavoen,Samson Siasia, Etim Esin,Ademola Adeshina,Chidi Nwanu,Peter Rufai,even a Ghanian Nii Odartey Lamptey,just to mention a few.

Big boss was d first Nigerian to ever played in final of any UEFA competition (Anderlecht vs Sampdoria)which Anderlecht lost by 2 goals to nil courtesy of famous Italian Legend Vialli.

Keshi moved from Anderlecht to Strasbourg in French league,singlehandedly took Strasbourg from 2nd division to division 1 and paved way for young Nigerian players like Victor Ikpeba, Godwin Okpara who was signed by Strasbourg through Keshi's recommendation.

Big boss was d first Super Eagles captain to qualified Nigeria for world cup,despite a terrible knee injury that sidelined him for months, Keshi returned and captain d team against Algeria in Algiers,a very tense match that we need a draw,thank to Findi goal.

Till today he remain d highest goal scoring defender in Nigeria,his goal ratio better than King KANU.

Also only player in Nigeria to lead Super Eagles to 2nd round in d world cup as a player and coach.

Keshi remain d only player in Nigeria to lift sfcon as a player and coach,so respect to a great Legend that comes out of Africa.

The first African to coach three Africa national team,namely Togo,Mali,Nigeria.

Keshi w be remembered for qualified tiny Togo for biggest football event in d world(world cup)

Truly he failed to qualify Nigeria to 2015 afcon,but his pedigree as a player and coach cannot be debated or ridicule.

Respect to d big boss Stephen Okechuckwu Keshi.

Of course, I respect him as a player but as a coach? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2017
In 2005 WYC finals between Nigeria and Argentina, watching John Mikel Obi play opened my eyes to a new dimension of the game. He changed my view and understanding. After that game, my view of football was never the same again.

I throway Salute to John Mikel Obi. A true football Odogwu.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

You are welcome o!

even mummysboy sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2017
OPPONENTS WATCH:

Sakala, Sunzu join Zambia camp
By Kelvin Musako
onOctober 2, 2017

Zambia’s preparations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Nigeria have hit top gear in Accra Ghana with the arrival of two foreign based players.

Russian duo of Fashion Sakala and Stoppilla Sunzu have joined the Chipolopolo squad and were part of the afternoon training session at the Marcel Desailly Sports Complex, according to the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ).

Sakala, Sunzu, Justin Shonga and Roderick Kabwe are the foreign based players that have beefed up the contingent of local based players.

Coach Wedson Nyirenda was forced to make last minute adjustments to his squad after in form striker Brian Mwila and midfielder Emmanuel Banda Jnr withdrew due to injury.

Alex Ngonga and John Chingandu were brought in to replace the Injured duo.

The match will be played on Saturday 7 October 2017 at the God’s Will Akpabio Stadium and could decide who goes to Russia.

Nigeria lead the Group with 10 points with the Zambians lurking in second position on 7 points.

Cameroon and Algeria who are out of the running follow in third and fourth place respectively.

--SOKA25east

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2017
Icon79:
But we didn't the NFF protest this Botswana ref thing sef? Botswana has a affinity with Zambia. It's like asking a Ghanaian ref to officiate in a game between Nigeria and Egypt.

O pari

The Ghanaian ref will blow in favour of Egypt. Gba bee.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:56pm On Oct 02, 2017
edi287:

You mean getting fired for winning a game?? How does that account to failure? Keshi started off well while Siasia and Oliseh messed everything up. Our failure to qualify has absolutely nothing to do with Keshi. Blame Siasia and Oliseh for that if you may.

Ok. I no gree. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1656) (1657) (1658) (1659) (1660) (1661) (1662) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AndSunGorilla and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.