Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,340 members, 7,943,843 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 06:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16624) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12395733 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16621) (16622) (16623) (16624) (16625) (16626) (16627) ... (16632) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:29pm On Sep 08
charlesemeka85:
I stand with you in your last paragraph. I love ekong as a person but never rated him as a player, even my love for him made me ignore some of his mistakes since debuting for the national team but it’s a thing of joy to see how far he has grown and matured as a player

Our current defensive set up is porous without Ekong’s presence. He is now that colossal figure that is needed in every team’s defense line. Seeing him in our defense of late brings some level of confidence that I can’t even explain. The older he grows the better he gets

I think it will be ideal for the national team handlers to start grooming a young CB to take over from him and the sooner the better. His wealth of experience and exposure will be a great learning tool to any young CB he takes under his wings.

It’s high time the national team handlers look beyond Awaziem and co and try out younger defensive talents like Ogbu,Okoli,Fredricks,Vince etc as under study to legendary Ekong
You are not in leadership of our football but you can reason something as basic as this. One day Ekong will retire. Fiam the place will be empty not because someone will not be there to play as CB but the calmness, the organization, the sense and awareness may not be there unless that person has been groomed to take up that role.

I'm looking forward to Ekong being a coach. He has it in him.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:35pm On Sep 08
Dele Bashiru is a very huge addition to our group. Funnily, I never really rated him because I preferred his elder brother, Tom.

Once again, Onyedika was great.

Next year, the likes of Uche and Ojediran will also join and it is gonna be a mad battle for a place in that midfield. The most creative will be favoured.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:37pm On Sep 08
My full respect to Frank the Tank. That guy is an untamed horse.

Why do I say this? See ehn, you guys saw Ndidi panting yesterday calling to be subbed but this was the role and burden Frank carried stoutly throughout AFCON without gassing out.

I hail Ndidi but shout out to Frank the armoured Tank.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 1:37pm On Sep 08
TheSuperNerd:
FunFacts

- Gernot Rohr gave Victor Osimhen his first official/competitive Super Eagles appearance in Uyo back in 2017 vs South Africa in an Afcon Qualifiers.
Osimhen featured for 5mins off the bench as an 18yrs old rookie.

Nigeria lost that game 2-0.

- 7yrs later and Victor Osimhen Scores his 22nd International Goal vs Gernot Rohr's Benin Republic in UYO to go third in the Super Eagles All time Top Scorers chart.

Nigeria wins 3-0.

Thank you Rohr and also, Get Out!!! 😁

@Supernerd , you get it ... he should GET OUT! grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:40pm On Sep 08
Mujtahida:

Why do I say this? See ehn, you guys saw Ndidi panting yesterday calling to be subbed but this was the role and burden Frank carried stoutly throughout AFCON without gassing out.

He’s not called the tank for nothing, person wey paseiro wan sub for Afcon but insisted to continue to play, that guy na jet engine

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:41pm On Sep 08
Mujtahida:

Ndidi should be coming on as a sub to steady the ship.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:41pm On Sep 08
The irony of Eguavoen. When we enter hole, we call him to rescue us. When he enters hole, we sack him. 😂😂

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:43pm On Sep 08
Goke7:

He’s not called the tank for nothing, person wey paseiro wan sub for Afcon but insisted to continue to play, that guy na jet engine
That guy na beast.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 1:43pm On Sep 08
Goke7:

But Ndidi plays that role effortlessly before now , i think age is beginning to tell .or the influence of championship telling on him ,,,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 9JAMac10: 1:44pm On Sep 08
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:45pm On Sep 08
ChrisKels:

Ndidi should be coming on as a sub to steady the ship.
It's either that or we play a double pivot to shield the defence but that would mean we'd have to play 4 at the back and dispense with the wing backs. I think the best option to playing Ndidi as a starter is to start Dele Bashiru with him instead of Iwobi. Iwobi can come in as a sub.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:45pm On Sep 08
lexyman:

But Ndidi plays that role effortlessly before now , i think age is beginning to tell .or the influence of championship telling on him ,,,
I think it's age.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:49pm On Sep 08
Mujtahida:

In this life what is key is potential. Eguaveon has shown us too many times that he has it in him but once he enters pot hole, we start shouting for him to be relieved of the job but whenever we are in a jam, it is him we call to rescue us.

Why don't we give this man time, give him training, give him all the technical support and resources he needs to enter into that place where even his failure will not make us sack him but allow him to go on until this flashes of brilliance becomes steady light?

You see this is why I'm not hard on Boniface. He showed flashes. He got into position. Let us give him time.

Am still wondering the sin boniface committed yesterday apart from not scoring I hope Eguavoen does not read some analysis here and drop him from the starting lineup for next game, na im sabi o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:53pm On Sep 08
lexyman:

The good thing is that we already have a replacement, ndidi absence at Afcon was a blessing in disguise. Ndidi experience still relevant in our game

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:55pm On Sep 08
potland:
can someone tell why iwobi still gets call ups despite all his shambolic displays

Iwobi has been impressive post Afcon he’s still relevant in our set up. He’s also been consistent at club level no national team coach can ignore such a player

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:55pm On Sep 08
jihday:
his in-game management is subpar
exactly. IMO I'll admit the influence of the assistants in a way. We are in the age where quality assistants that are tactically sound is the template but nff...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08
jihday:
as for the female, we had Akide but when she was winding down Perpetual came up, when she was about to retire Oshoala took over. Right now I can’t even see anybody both in the main team and the cadet teams. Scouting for our NT have been poor in recent years
The Ajakaye and Flourish i was thinking are now hibernating unless something happens. But for now, no similarities

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08
Football in Africa is colourful. I was not really invested prior to the match yesterday until the game started.
I think the fans really contribute to this ambience. The drummers, the singers, and the colourful outfits. Just look at the spectators.
In EPL eh, everywhere go just black.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 1:59pm On Sep 08
Goke7:

Iwobi has been impressive post Afcon he’s still relevant in our set up. He’s also been consistent at club level no national team coach can ignore such a player
You really have time bro. Ignore that troll.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:00pm On Sep 08
Balogun! Sad that injuries and age have taken a toll on big Leon.

I hope Fredrick at Bretford can get good run of games. He's another I see as a potential defensive stalwart for the SE.

Kog45:
Yes legendary,winning Afcon best player no be small thing o,hope to see him breaking Keshi’s record……oh another CB who would have done better is Leon Balogun but he came late to the party ,age not on his side

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:03pm On Sep 08
Mujtahida:

I disagree please. You tend to expend less energy when you're sitting deep. Yesterday, Bashiru ventured forward too often (especially to the RW) leaving Ndidi to hold the middle on his own. Something Iwobi rarely do.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 2:03pm On Sep 08
Mujtahida:
The irony of Eguavoen. When we enter hole, we call him to rescue us. When he enters hole, we sack him. 😂😂

Eguavoen too needs to go all out when it matters most and it will be difficult to sack him. The game is all about results especially the crucial ones, yesterday match was crucial and he won. The next game he should try not to lose at worst get a draw many will not raise eyebrows but if loses then the cycle starts all over again. It’s all about results, even if it’s haram soccer get the damn results and keep your job.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:06pm On Sep 08
I agree to with you on the bold.

Looks like someone who will make a solid manager.

Plus the way he acts and talks like a national team captain just dey swell my head with pride.

Mujtahida:

You are not in leadership of our football but you can reason something as basic as this. One day Ekong will retire. Fiam the place will be empty not because someone will not be there to play as CB but the calmness, the organization, the sense and awareness may not be there unless that person has been groomed to take up that role.

I'm looking forward to Ekong being a coach. He has it in him.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by villagereporter(m): 2:08pm On Sep 08
potland:
They are not your mate and you fail to beat them twice this year. Keep speaking in tongues

I am forced to ask, are you devotedly clapping back at fellow forumites or you are been sarcastic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 2:10pm On Sep 08
Goke7:

Yes, Iwobi is playing well. He is the most capped present super Eagles player.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 2:10pm On Sep 08
Nigerians on Napoli page....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:15pm On Sep 08
Sometimes good managers are made by excellent/quality assistants. AE I believe understands his strengths and weaknesses which I believe his assistants will help him cover.

To Eguavoen's credit I think he has the respect and trust of his players so he just has to improve more on his in-match reading of the game especially when plan B doesn't work out.

daveP:
exactly. IMO I'll admit the influence of the assistants in a way. We are in the age where quality assistants that are tactically sound is the template but nff...

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:19pm On Sep 08
potland:
can someone tell why iwobi still gets call ups despite all his shambolic displays
iwobi shambolic display? 😳

Sometimes I wonder how una tk Dey watch una own ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:21pm On Sep 08
joelsteron:

That guy grin

Please if possible bench Iwobi.
Play Onyedika
Ndidi (since man wants advance role lately) and
Dele Bashiru as AM (can support defense unlike okocha's nephew)
kuku tell us u re envious of Alex cus he’s related to great jay jay

All of a sudden na Bashiru be the real deal Abi? Na here we all dey sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 2:27pm On Sep 08
chrisooblog:
Sometimes good managers are made by excellent/quality assistants. AE I believe understands his strengths and weaknesses which I believe his assistants will help him cover.

To Eguavoen's credit I think he has the respect and trust of his players so he just has to improve more on his in-match reading of the game especially when plan B doesn't work out.

Aw u no go respect dt kind eguavoen ..Una no c him face while working 😃😄😄😄😄😄

Besides ,he has been coaching when most of dis present squad were in primary two /kindergarten

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 2:39pm On Sep 08
Mujtahida:

You sabi book, D Law
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 2:42pm On Sep 08
lbrichman2:

You sabi book, D Law

Now u knw y he’s my lawyer helping me to clinch d job 😊

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (16621) (16622) (16623) (16624) (16625) (16626) (16627) ... (16632) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Toylove, Badbunny, johnjunior39(m), Icon4s(m), elunico, lbrichman2, Ihenzy(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 4
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.