Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,896 members, 7,924,830 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 11:17 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2020) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12275605 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2017) (2018) (2019) (2020) (2021) (2022) (2023) ... (16530) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:21pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

Is he better than Awoniyi

As of right now, Dessers is better but Awoniyi is younger
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:21pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

Disagree he does not have the vision and or passing range of Mikel does not even have the technical ability of Mikel. The only thing he has over Mikel is pace that's all.
He just has his own style as distinct as that of Mikel was from that of Okocha. And Iwobi has received plaudits for his passing skills. We saw that in the Zambian match. And his vision is good too.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:25pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

Is he better than Awoniyi

I've not done any comparison to determine but I like what I see in Dessers: he's quick, good with both feet, good in the air, is instinctive in his movement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:28pm On Nov 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

I've not done any comparison to determine but I like what I see in Dessers: he's quick, good with both feet, good in the air, is instinctive in his movement

Even C.RONALDO doesn't av all dis qualities grin

Nairaland scouts and packaging,na was o grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

Reminds me a bit of Suarez...finishing can be a bit iffy. It's his movement that I like the most.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2017
elyte89:

He didn't say he was perfect at all of it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2017
elyte89:

I can't remember the last time I read any positive contribution from you. You sit back, wait for others to comment and then criticize, most times uncritically. If C. Ronaldo does not have those qualities, then good for him. That's his wahala and you his unknown agent's wahala

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:51pm On Nov 05, 2017
tbaba1234:

Fegor Ogude has been out for a very long time with a spine injury.

He just returned last month and played his first full game this weekend. How exactly do you invite people with spine injury?

It is not as if we do not know what Ogude can offer.
I am surprised he mentioned Ogude. By what quantifiable unit of measurement have you determined that Ogude is good enough for the SE, Sir komekn

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:53pm On Nov 05, 2017
tbaba1234:

He just returned last month and played his first full game this weekend. How exactly do you invite people with spine injury?

I have no idea what so ever about Ogude it was to get the discussion going. I didnt recommend I asked.

I will talk mainly about Nigerian origin players in England. These are the guys I watch, talk too watch thier training sessions, age grade competitions and see day in and day out. As well as senior games from all leagues across England.

So let's just say I then know what I am talking about.

However, in this forum we seem to discuss a few select players. We don't talk about the MLS which is rated higher than the Eredivisie and Belguim league. But almost zero mention of Nigerian players in that league.

We seem more interested in past youth players who relying old past glories than confirmed proven tested professional players cutting it in thier leagues. Why.

No insider substantive information about our players on mainland Europe beyond recycling other people's comments and deceptive you tube video clips that can be misleading.

Am I expecting too much
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:58pm On Nov 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

I am surprised he mentioned Ogude. By what quantifiable unit of measurement have you determined that Ogude is good enough for the SE, Sir komekn

Zero

I didn't recommend him, I just asked about him. I don't know diddley squat about Russian football or him.

Have you watched him in training, play games live and or talk to his coaches and or team mates to get a good comprehensive view of the player.

Because I know once again ZERO about him.

Yes I do know he had a few games for the SE but I have no indepth info. Players don't remain static they improve or even diminish. Is he going up or is he going down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2017
tbaba1234:

As of right now, Dessers is better but Awoniyi is younger

You know thier current stats in comparisonby any chance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2017
edi287:

He didn't say he was perfect at all of it
He has four goals in 7 appearances. Whoscored.com rates his finishing as one of his key strengths. Joebie please do a comparison of Dessers and Awoniyi let's see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:06pm On Nov 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

He has four goals in 7 appearances. Whoscored.com rates his finishing as one of his key strengths. Joebie please do a comparison of Dessers and Awoniyi let's see.
Oh I agree he's better than Awoniyi. His finishing is not consistent sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

I have no idea what so ever about Ogude it was to get the discussion going. I didnt recommend I asked.

I will talk mainly about Nigerian origin players in England. These are the guys I watch, talk too watch thier training sessions, age grade competitions and see day in and day out. As well as senior games from all leagues across England.

However, in this forum we seem to discuss a few select players. We don't talk about the MLS which is rated higher than the Eredivisie and Belguim league. But almost zero mention of Nigerian players in that league.

We seem more interested in past youth players who relying old past glories than confirmed proven tested professional players cutting it in thier leagues. Why.

No insider substantive information about our players on mainland Europe beyond recycling other people's comments and deceptive you tube video clips that can be misleading.

Am I expecting too much

If you go back far enough when Fanendi Adi was in form, you will see several suggestions that he should be invited. He is an MLS player.

I have shared updates on Adi on this page.

As regards these proven players, where are they? If they exist, they have been talked about here.

If you are talking about players whose international alleigiances are not guaranteed, then we can only really talk when they make an international commitment.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:10pm On Nov 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

I can't remember the last time I read any positive contribution from you. You sit back, wait for others to comment and then criticize, most times uncritically. If C. Ronaldo does not have those qualities, then good for him. That's his wahala and you his unknown agent's wahala

Well,we can't all face one direction,d thread won't b lively smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:11pm On Nov 05, 2017
tbaba1234:

Fengor is a mechanical footballer just like Karibe Ojigwe. I knew him when he played for Warri Wolves.
Wouldn't want him near this team.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:12pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

Zero

I didn't recommend him, I just asked about him. I don't know diddley squat about Russian football or him.

Have you watched him in training, play games live and or talk to his coaches and or team mates to get a good comprehensive view of the player.

Because I know once again ZERO about him.

Yes I do know he had a few games for the SE but I have no indepth info. Players don't remain static they improve or even diminish. Is he going up or is he going down.
You know one thing with national team? You will always be remembered by your last performance and that can even eclipse your club performance. Though I know nothing about Ogude's current club form, his showing for the Super Eagles left much to be desired. If for example Ogude's name is by chance mentioned as an invite, I am sure the outcry that would greet such an invitation will make the team handlers to have a rethink. The reason is simple:we have seen Ogude before.
And this is one reason C Nwakali's invitation has not been criticised. In fact Nigerians are waiting with bated breathe to see what he has to offer.
Players like Mikel Agu, Onyekuru just have to perform if not they would be dropped.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2017
elyte89:

Well,we can't all face one direction,d thread won't b lively smiley
But the problem is I don't know your direction. With others you know where they stand but you I don't know your stance and that kind of position doesn't make the thread lively either.

Do you know that I made my comments about Dessers from just watching a couple of his youtube videos? You didn't give any reason why you think he doesn't have the qualities I mentioned. Well, go to whoscored.com and check him out cos I just did.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2017
edi287:

Oh I agree he's better than Awoniyi. His finishing is not consistent sha.
Then he should improve on it. Do you know that even these players are not blind to their faults and aspects of their game that needs improving? I was surprised to watch Leon Balogun in an interview given shortly after we qualified say that he was not satisfied with his performance in the match against Zambia and many posters here said he was shaky in the first half and which was true. He himself knew he wasn't on top of his game on that day. So players too auto - criticize themselves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:27pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

You know thier current stats in comparisonby any chance.

Dessers is 7 in 17
Awoniyi is 3 in 13.

Dessers scored 29 last year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:28pm On Nov 05, 2017
Thank you, Joe.

And by the way, Joel Obi is playing exceptionally well for Torino today. I think he's fully back and should get back into reckoning.
Can somebody notify the NFF? I no longer have Pinnick's number sad

O pari

TheGoodJoe:

O pari. Alas five stars comment. I throway Salute.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:36pm On Nov 05, 2017
FACT: our players are better (and in many cases much better) than the league and/or the teams they play for.

Can you tell me that Shehu Abdullahi is not good enough to be playing in one of the better Euro leagues than Cyprus?
Are you telling me that Leon Balogun is not good enough to be starting for Mainz 05?
Are you telling me that Alex Iwobi isn't good enough to be starting for Arsenal?
Can you objectively tell me how a player of Kelechi's quality can't start for Leicester City?
Can you tell me that Simon Moses isn't too good to be playing for a mediocre side like KAA Gent?
Can you boldly claim that Oghenekaro Etebo shouldn't be playing for a better team than CD Feirense?

And I can go on and on and on .... but I think you've got the message.

Bottom line, our players are underrated and undervalued.

O pari

komekn:

This is a repeat comment but felt I should respond more directly than indirectly.

True quality and ability are not determined by one game, even more so in cup competitions. But with consistent, continous top quality performances over a period.

In this regard I disagree whith what you wish to proferr as being a good objective rational for quality players selection. In other words you are essentially proposing to create a new set of performance measuring standards for Nigerian players in Europe separate from any other ability measurements.

That's being openly biased and an attempt to enthrone mediocrity over quality. It will never help our players. They need to understand the quality parameters and professionalism required and attain them not avoid them. You would be setting up players in European football leagues to fail. And then be honoured for failing in European football in my opinion ludicrous.

Shockingly quite a few people seem to agree with you. I am not sure if by sentiment or by objectivity.

I will use a reference of last seasons FA cup with Sutton United FC who play in the national Vanarama league. Sutton Played against league 2 Cheltenham United, League 1 AFC Wimbledon League 1 and Leeds United championship and beat all three teams then finally loosing to a full strength Arsenal 2-0.

Sutton were not promoted to League 2 and remained mid table in the Vanarama national league.

How many of thier players progressed thier best player Deacon moved to Dundee United and that's about it.

It's the continous consistent top quality performances that determine true quality of a top team and player. Not flash in the pan one off outstanding. performances or one hit wonders.

So having one good game is indicative but very far from being conclusive of top quality. One game doesn't determine your season but the sum total of games played over a season.

We are ranked 41 and Germany, Brazil, Portugal Argentina, Belguim. 1,2,3,4, 5 respectively it's not by mistake.

I will point out although Belguim league is ranked near 10 far from top quality. The bulk of thier players do not play in it, at a guess probably most from the EPL. Indeed all these top ranked teams will have quite a few players from the EPL. It's about picking quality players from the best teams and best leagues. With very few if any exceptions.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2017
Icon79:
Thank you, Joe.

And by the way, Joel Obi is playing exceptionally well for Torino today. I think he's fully back and should get back into reckoning.
Can somebody notify the NFF? I no longer have Pinnick's number sad

O pari

Joel Obi should be called up.. With all these injuries, we should find space for him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2017
Meanwhile, Joel Obi gave Torino a solid (high intensity) 73 mins today.

I think we need to send him an invite to replace one of the injured players.

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2017
Bingo!

O pari

tbaba1234:

Joel Obi should be called up.. With all these injuries, we should find space for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:45pm On Nov 05, 2017
Watching Chidi Nwakali, feedback on his game later

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:16pm On Nov 05, 2017
tbaba1234:
Watching Chidi Nwakali, feedback on his game later

I always trust your judgment and assessment.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:42pm On Nov 05, 2017
Nwakali subbed off, he did not have the greatest game. He was confident on the ball and showed a willingness to shoot. Average game overall.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2017
The Jupiler League is not one of the options available for Whoscored comparison.
Mujtahida:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:58pm On Nov 05, 2017
komekn:

Am I expecting too much

see how you try to bury face....after your call for fegor ogude was refuted on substantial facts...

I have say this over and over again...
many a time this postulation of yours don't work...it is not about the league ranking but the potential of the player in question...

you should know this things.....this players are not as fortunate as the Europeans or south Americans coupled wit their greedy agents to get high ranking leagues to play....

you looking for all loopholes to justify your wayside belief that the invitation of nwakali was not on track....

I expect you to move on by now...

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2017
tbaba1234:
Nwakali subbed off, he did not have the greatest game. He was confident on the ball and showed a willingness to shoot. Average game overall.
it is high time this defensive midfielders work on their passing skills not just to shot...
ndidi and onazi are also guilty of this...reason why I believe the call for Joel Obi....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:24pm On Nov 05, 2017
4 important players out, imagine if this was a WC decider.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2017) (2018) (2019) (2020) (2021) (2022) (2023) ... (16530) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Provalker, kellycute(m) and 17 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.