Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,198 members, 7,963,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 11:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12517359 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2257) (2258) (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) ... (16731) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Largebeer..sorry lars largebark ...i pray o... The man gonna dissect us serious.. He knows our weak point... Coach Rohr and other admins just need to start work earnestly
he is no more the coach of Iceland...he now coach Norway team...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 6:38pm On Dec 01, 2017
CROATIA IN SUMMARY

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 6:40pm On Dec 01, 2017
Can the england and germany match be confirmed now?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:42pm On Dec 01, 2017
shogz89:
CROATIA IN SUMMARY

They look beatable though... But we should underrate them..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2017
Icon79:
That former naija coach? Now worries, we'll beat them like a drum.

We'll make him pay for all the money he took from Nigeria for the 2010 World Cup grin

O pari

he resigned after the euros
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

We need top friendlies if we are to identify our best players and polish our tactical play. Keep in mind, it was lack of exposure that made us fail in our game against Italy in USA '94.
I will not deceive you i don't believe in top friendlies before making impact at the WC.

I don't think exposure affect US 94 team but just a silly mistake from Olishe changed the game.The France 98 team that have the exposure,what happened against Denmark.

Senegal team almost made it to Semi final at 2002 WC despite lack of exposure,beating defending champion France.

By now Rohr should have at least 18 players close to his chest or else we are going to the WC to make the number again,this what made me question his decision to call Maduka Okoye a keeper keeping for team B of fortuna Dusseldorf when we already have Uzoho and Alampasu.

thegoodjoe how i wish Argentina friendly victory happened at the WC.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2017
safarigirl:
It's a fair group

I personally think Argentina will crash out at the Group Stage this time.

Nigeria and Croatia to go through from this group.

We need to top this group to avoid France and in case we somehow meet them, PLEASE break a French player's leg.

I am with you on this.....
Argentina may likely not scale through...

I see Croatia scaling through....we really need to avoid France because they could beat any Africa team silly...their match could be Brazil, Spain or Germany

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 6:48pm On Dec 01, 2017
I see people already underrating Iceland. It should be noted that they were in the same qualifying group as Croatia and topped the group. I see them as the trickiest, same way Iran was the trickiest in our 2014 group and Zambia was the trickiest in our qualifying rounds.

The most underrated is always the trickiest.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Theben(m): 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2017
Icon4s:

Don't blame them. Just like if you are asked who would qualify from Group B I am sure you'll pick Spain and Portugal but the Moroccans would believe they can go through.

But from my experience of past WCs, upsets do happen. Costa Rica topped a group that had Italy and Spain the last time .

This world cup would be explosive. So many teams are in form and there are no weak teams except maybe Panama.
Italy, Uruguay and England
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:58pm On Dec 01, 2017
Baldg:
Right now, I just dey reason CROATIA matter..
Modric... Midfield Maestro
Rakitic.. Midfield Marshall.
Kovacic.. Midfieldér
Perisic.. Winger toh badt
Mandzukic.. Lethal Striker.
Subasic.. Good Goalkeeper.

sad
This reminds me of last year when we were billed to.face Algeria

We were like: " You don see their squad? Mahrez, Feghouli, Slimani....we're finished "

We were finished...with Algeria of course

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:06pm On Dec 01, 2017
Humility017:

he is no more the coach of Iceland...he now coach Norway team...

You are right... Just checked now... Thanks...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:08pm On Dec 01, 2017
Kog45:
I will not deceive you i don't believe in top friendlies before making impact at the WC.

I don't think exposure affect US 94 team but just a silly mistake from Olishe changed the game.The France 98 team that have the exposure,what happened against Denmark.

Senegal team almost made it to Semi final at 2002 WC despite lack of exposure,beating defending champion France.

By now Rohr should have at least 18 players close to his chest or else we are going to the WC to make the number again,this what made me question his decision to call Maduka Okoye a keeper keeping for team B of fortuna Dusseldorf when we already have Uzoho and Alampasu.

Lol at your last statement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2017
jihday:
he resigned after the euros

You are right... Got a dentist as a coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2017
Why is England always favoured in World cup draws?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I think Nacho needs one more year for the contract. Not three. Keep in mind, the passport requirement is also important for his career. He qualifies as one of the English players which will make him attractive for teams that need English players with quality.

I say he gets the passport and then search for a place to prove himself.

Okay, let's hope that's the best decision for his career.

You used Traore as an example, he didn't waste anytime before heading to Holland, and he's now in france where he'd most likely get citizenship.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2017
To all opponents, Underrate Nigeria at your own peril

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2017
Icon79:
Haha!! Seriously, go back in time and double check what I said. Even South Africa got the easiest group in 2010! Japan and Korea has pretty easy groups in 2002.

O pari

So it seems. When the host(a lowly ranked team) is placed in same pot as top teams the outcome will always be like that - easy group. It's not rigged. If it were, they would have been found out, at least for once.

The one that somehow baffles me is Nigeria vs Argentina every time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 7:21pm On Dec 01, 2017
solonnachi:
Why is England always favoured in World cup draws?
they were not favoured last time, they had Uruguay and Italy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 7:23pm On Dec 01, 2017
mank1234:

So it seems. When the host(a lowly ranked team) is placed in same pot as top teams the outcome will always be like that - easy group. It's not rigged. If it were, they would have been found out, at least for once.

even France didn't get an easy group, will you tag France Mexico and Uruguay easy ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:25pm On Dec 01, 2017
Humility017:

why day no...I will prefer that young boy over the Martins many are crying for here....

Because he'd be older than 20 come 2019, and can't play the U-20s. Which was what the OP was inquiring about.

As for Martins, if the coach sees the need for someone like him and his style, he should call him up. I can tell that Rorh likes Isaac, if Isaac manages to bring something special, with might end up with him.

Dennis play mostly as a WF, that area is saturated at the moment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:30pm On Dec 01, 2017
Kog45:

Rorh knows what he's doing, there's no way he's taking Okoye to the WC.

He wants to lure him for the future.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:31pm On Dec 01, 2017
safarigirl:
EPL clubs are wise enough to know that you don't go for an old, tired player that is in China....you can take a gamble on the younger ones, but the old guys that have been in football retirement leagues (MLS & China) should be overlooked.

Some people seem to not acknowkedge that however, it's unfathomable undecided

The MLS is actually rated higher than the Turkish European retirement league and so is the Chinese league.

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/ranking-best-league-in-the-world/

It is an act of integrity and intelligence to speak from a standpoint of knowledge and not emotive prejudice. You can do you your research there are other authoritative assessment bodies that you can use as a reference point.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2017
FIFA has super glued Nigeria with Argentina for life. Messi even confessed it. Na wa o. NFF over to you guys. It's time to work.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2017
Baldg:
Right now, I just dey reason CROATIA matter..
Modric... Midfield Maestro
Rakitic.. Midfield Marshall.
Kovacic.. Midfieldér
Perisic.. Winger toh badt
Mandzukic.. Lethal Striker.
Subasic.. Good Goalkeeper.

sad
Those players are old bones and sailing out of their carrier and abilities. Thwy re only leaning on their big names.

Go and confirm that in case you don't concur.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:41pm On Dec 01, 2017

Croatia Manager Dalic On Nigeria: They Have Fast Players, We Have To Be Careful
Published: December 01, 2017

Croatia national team coach Zlatko Dalić has commented on the 2018 World Cup draw and his team's opponents in Group D - Nigeria,

Argentina and Iceland.
Croatia have qualified for the World Cup on five occasions 1998, 2002, 2006, 2014 and 2018, and finished third in France 1998 after losing only two matches.

''After the draw can always be better or worse. I think we can be happy, we can get out of the group, but it will be difficult,'' Dalić told HTV, according to net.hr.

''Nigeria is a young team that was the first in its African qualifying group. They have fast players. We have to be careful, we will have plenty of time to study this team.''

Speaking on the strongest team in Group D Argentina, Dalic said : "I wanted to avoid Argentina, namely the two, three strong teams. But here, we got the Messiah. We will not surrender.''

Nigeria and Croatia square off at the Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad on June 16, 2018.

Igho Kingsley

Source: ANS

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:42pm On Dec 01, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Messi has only played around top quality players all the time of his career, for club and country. Based on your assessment, Messi might not be quality until he plays with Huddersfield players.

Nothing like exposing limitations. Nacho is a finisher. Play him in a free flowing system, create chances and he will give amazing stats. Same goes for the likes of other top strikers. When Manchester United do not create chances, Lukaku looks ordinary. Striking is not magic.

Carry Dries Mertens and play him in that Shakespeare's system and he will look ordinary. In the brilliant system of Sarri at Napoli, Mertens looks close to World Class.

Finito.

Using the unit of measurement you have created.

Why then is Nacho not at City, in the free flowing system scoring goals for fun . Remember that before he left he was not performing and he became a bench warmer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2017
jihday:
even France didn't get an easy group, will you tag France Mexico and Uruguay easy ?

That's because France were not lowly rated. Place another host in place of France there and see how easy the group would've looked.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2017
Taliban:

Guardiola is spoiling the league jare. Making it a one horse race. Hopefully Kayode can be recalled so he can work his miracles on him too.

The same way he worked on KC.

Or are you suggesting that Kayode is possibly better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2017
Argentina Coach Scared Of Facing Nigeria Again : They Are Unpredictable, So Quick
Published: December 01, 2017

Argentina coach Jorge Sampaoli has reacted to the 2018 World Cup draw which will see his team facing Nigeria, Iceland and Croatia in the group stage of the competition.

Only 17 days ago, the Super Eagles humiliated the two-time world champions 4-2 in a showcase international friendly in Krasnodar, Southern Russia.

''They are rivals who come with few obligations and a lot of enthusiasm, the World Cup gives them a unique opportunity,'' said Sampaoli to Argentine TV sports channel TyC Sports.

''Iceland will put up a fight like everyone. Croatia has an excellent midfield with Modric, Rakitic and Perisic, they are a very strong team.

''Nigeria are unpredictable, they are very quick in their play. We recently overcame them clearly in the first half but they got a result later. We have to beat them.''

The Super Eagles face off with the South Americans at the Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg on June 26, 2018 in both countries final group game.
Igho Kingsley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2017
Mickael2:

so we are taking 'potentials' to the world cup ahead of proven talents?

Very aptly said.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2017
Trust me, it is rigged. Even Blatter, the former FIFA president, confirmed that some Euro Cup draws were fixed. But he claimed that that never happened with FIFA grin

O pari

mank1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2017
komekn:

Using the unit of measurement you have created.

Why then is Nacho not at City, in the free flowing system scoring goals for fun . Remember that before he left he was not performing and he became a bench warmer.

Iheanacho did not leave City because he was not performing. The few times he played for Guardiola last season, Iheanacho performed well. The reason Iheanacho lost his place was due to competition from quality players. Keep in mind, Sterling, Sane, Aguero, Gabriel Jesus can play the forward line.

Also, Guardiola wants more from his forwards. That is, he wants more contribution during build-up plays and also he wants his attackers to contribute a lot defensively.

Guardiola was still fine-tuning Nacho. Unfortunately, lots of people felt the competition at City will give him limited opportunity.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2257) (2258) (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) ... (16731) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Famocious(m), Pidginwhisper, Ppogbae, charlesemeka85(m) and 165 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.