Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,132 members, 7,896,845 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 11:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2617) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12132141 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2614) (2615) (2616) (2617) (2618) (2619) (2620) ... (16452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 7:10pm On Jan 17, 2018
There will be some shennanigans later in the season, so be expectant but not now. As long as not all the matches are broadcasted live, SOME home teams will surely do their rubbish later
Humility017:

just pray this continue...so unfortunate I can't watch any league match live for now.
I think you were right in some of yr assertions; the league has improved a little
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:16pm On Jan 17, 2018
Kog45:
My man am not making any mistake cos i played the game and have been watching the game since 1980 so I know what am saying,if Musa makes WC with his present status then Rohr is biased.

Pls do you think a fit and playing week in week out Musa would sit on the bench for Simeon Moses,NO but due to his inactivity he find himself on the bench for average Simeon who is having it every week in Belgian league,this is to tell you better to have playing time as a player.

Do you think Rohr was joking when he said some of his players who are not enjoy playing time should sort their future this January,Kayode moving from Girona do you think is for fun,he already got the feeler that better to move or forget fighting for WC shirt.Mikel staying put in China or Ighalo staying put despite interest from EPL clubs is not for anything but WC,Ebuhei contract with Benfica and loaned back to Ado Haugen was to continue is first team starter.

My man not playing regularly always have negative impacts on player development,check Mikel out at 2014 WC,a very abysmal performance just due to lack of playing time.
but musa plays week in...week out for the under 23 side...
he is not match rusty but fit...so it won't tell much...
don't want him to miss the world cup party after all he can regain some match fitness too wit those friendlies....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:17pm On Jan 17, 2018
Kalapizim:
" the referees team led by an Army Officer and FIFA referee, Col Fawole has Rabiu Baita of Jigawa council as Assessor while another Fifa referee from Lagos Council, Jelili Ogunmuyiwa will be assisted by Moroof Aromona and Cletus Adewebi, all of Lagos Council in the Rangers vs Lobi clash." Army Officer and Referee ! woow
one of England best ref in this decade is a police officer

Can't really remember his name

Modified
Howard Melton Webb
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 7:23pm On Jan 17, 2018
kingphilip:

Howard Melton Webb
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:25pm On Jan 17, 2018
eazyjakes:

Howard Melton Webb
thanks for the reminder
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 7:27pm On Jan 17, 2018
kingphilip:
thanks for the reminder

Uwc buddie!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:29pm On Jan 17, 2018
Humility017:

don't want him to miss the world cup party after all he can regain some match fitness too wit those friendlies....
My man are you saying playing for U23 which is youth football is enough for WC bound player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:31pm On Jan 17, 2018
Humility017:

Boss, if u like Musa.. Talk am grin

Aw can u use u-23 league as a yardstick to set standards for call up to world cup,no b say Musa sef na one fantastic player as such

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:34pm On Jan 17, 2018
Kog45:
My man are you saying playing for U23 which is youth football is enough for WC bound player
not at all....his performance in the GWG is never at fault...I remember his play against Argentina few months ago....he doesn't look like one who has not been playing good football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:38pm On Jan 17, 2018
Gernot Rohr and the NFF are not playing this time around. Let's hope they'd make good use of these friendlies.

But I really don't like this friendly match against Congo DR. We need to play against teams preparing for the World Cup. I don't want the DR Congo to injure any of our players ... after all, they have nothing to lose. I don't understand this naija mentality that the team has to play a friendly match in Nigeria before departing for the World Cup. To me, that's BS! This is 2018, Nigerians can watch the team wherever they play in the world. Let's use that DR Congo date to squeeze in another friendly with a South American opponent.

O pari

Humility017:

Nigeria World Cup friendlies

Nigeria vs Poland (23 March in Poland)

Nigeria vs Serbia (27 March in the UK)

Nigeria vs DR Congo (28 May in Abuja)

Nigeria vs England (2 June in London)

Nigeria vs Czech Republic (6 June in Austria)

source: BBC sports.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2018
Icon79:
Gernot Rohr and the NFF are not playing this time around. Let's hope they'd make good use of these friendlies.

But I really don't like this friendly match against Congo DR. We need to play against teams preparing for the World Cup. I don't want the DR Congo to injure any of our players ... after all, they have nothing to lose. I don't understand this naija mentality that the team has to play a friendly match in Nigeria before departing for the World Cup. To me, that's BS! This is 2018, Nigerians can watch the team wherever they play in the world. Let's use that DR Congo date to squeeze in another friendly with a South American opponent.

O pari

It is actually a good game against a very tough side. DRC is as good as any African team going to the world cup.

Also, i understand the coach is naming his final 23 after the England game. It will be a good game to give some of some players, one last chance to fight for a shirt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:59pm On Jan 17, 2018
DRC is definitely a good team but, this time around, they are not playing for anything. They might not even come with their A team sef. In addition, I am a little worried about playing African opposition at that stage due to injury concerns.

O pari

tbaba1234:

It is actually a good game against a very tough side. DRC is as good as any African team going to the world cup.

Also, i understand the coach is naming his final 23 after the England game. It will be a good game to give some of some players, one last chance to fight for a shirt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2018
Danielnino00:
Nigerians!!
Why do we have to add humour to every serious matter?

This tweet just weak me grin grin

�KING OF LAGOS(MFR)
@Derek74399105 2h
Replying to @thenff
My family are into opa-eyin, business, afato, ale, somboto, ponkirinyon ...we will like to partner the Super Eagles ..support local business ��

What is wrong with NFF supporting local businesses The drinks mentioned above will sell more if and when their packaging and distribution improves.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 8:11pm On Jan 17, 2018
somehow:
Dont be surprised, almost all referees in Nigeria are educated.

And it's a must you have a job before you can be a ref in Nigeria. Minimum is to be a student.

Lastly, we have doctors, lawyers, politicians, teachers, lecturers, pastors, fathers, police men.and.women, naval officers, soldiers etc as referees in naija.

They are not people suffering.
thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17, 2018
kingphilip:

Modified
Howard Melton Webb
thanks bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 8:14pm On Jan 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

If any man thinks he is wise let him become a fool for the wisdom of men is foolishness to God.

Your supposed wisdom that criticism is good is foolishness to me. And I can prove my word a thousand times that encouragement is a million times more beneficial than criticism.

I said encourage but your mind interpreted it as spoil, condone, pet. Naaa. Encouragement is never too much. Even your Bible in the book of Hebrews 3:13 says:But encourage one another every day, while it is called today...
Again In Hebrews 10:25 it says:but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching...

komekn says too much is not good. Bible says to encourage one another daily, all the more. Omo, make I follow Bible not komekn.

Seems you don't understand what encouragement means but let me illustrate what I mean by encouragement : Iheanacho, my boy, you have not been scoring goals anymore or playing well. Your body language shows nonchalance. What's the problem, why, what's happening (encouragement probes but criticism takes everything for granted because it is only concerned with results) I hope you know alot of people are looking up to you. I know you have it in you. Please work hard, work very hard and prove yourself to yourself, to your loved ones, to your nation.
This is the sort of thing good fathers and loving mothers do. But the foolish ones think they can criticize their children into success. I just dey laugh at their mumuness.

But unlike encouragement, criticism says Iheanacho you are not good, you are no good, you are no good, when he scores criticism says ohhh it's a weak team, when he scores against a strong team criticism twist and says ohh it was luck, when he scored one criticism says why did he not score two, ohhhhhh this, ohhhh that. Such criticism is a fraud. There's nothing more sneakily pernicious, more deadly than this kind of withering criticism.

I wanted to pose a test right here on this thread to illustrate human nature because we sometimes find it ever so easy to criticize Nacho because somehow he is an abstraction to us. We forget his humanity. I wanted to pose this simple test: if you know that in your personal life you do well when you are criticized, in fact you love being criticized click like, if you know you do well when you are encouraged then click share. But I refrained because it would have looked petty.

It's not for nothing that some shout hater, hatred here to some monikers in the face of their vitriolic, soul destroying criticisms. Criticism especially habitual criticism is really low grade hatred. If you love someone you will encourage them, you encourage them hard. Tough love. Have you seen Morgan Freeman's 'Lean on. Me'? Go and watch it if you have not so that you will understand what I mean by encouragement.

I repeat even flowers and plants generally (and it's documented) blossom and become more fruitful when they are encouraged and wilt or die when they pick up negative vibes for example if the flowers are being watered by an unhappy critical person.

(forgive me forumites for making my point using religious text) You are a Christian but you seem not to understand the power of the word. You seem not to understand what faith means, it seems you don't understand what it means when your Bible says your God calls the things that are not as though there were, you don't understand it when the Bible says God calls light out of darkness. He doesn't do it by saying there's darkness(failure), there's darkness (failure) there's darkness (failure) No ooooooo. He looks at darkness and sees light and( in true metaphysical sense it's not even the darkness he looks at but himself) and says I see light(success) I see light (success) I see light(success) and then he lets out: let they be light and surely light comes.

But when you see Iheanacho all you harp on is his failure. Even more shockingly in the face of his little success you still remind him of his failure and comfort yourself by saying he needs to be consistent, he isn't convincing yet. You don't know that by talking about failure continously you increase its vibration and perpetuate it, meanwhile you keep getting frustrated because it's success you want but failure is what you get because you are violating the law of the seed, the law of vibration, the law of the universe. I remember when I was a child, one time my father was always criticising me that I breaking the plates while washing them. Omo, na so I continue to break plates dey go ooo even though I tried hard not to but for where. He called me plate breaker and plate breaker I became. As an adult I now understand the psychology behind it: we a word controlled beings. He sewed the seed of breaking plates in my heart and because every seed produces after its kind, it produced an harvest of plate breaking. I tell you encourage, don't criticize but you say I am talking foolishness.

At the beginning of his ministry Jesus looked at Simon (Simon means Reed, a plant that waffles in the wave of the waters) in all his weakness, his waverings and inconsistencies and saw beyond those flaws. That's why he said you are Simon (weak) son of Jonah BUT you shall be called PETER (rock). But then Peter still didn't become Peter. He betrayed Jesus when threatened by a little girl. Yet that did not change Jesus' conviction. Hence at the end of his earthly Ministry immediately he resurrected he told the disciples to go tell Peter that he's risen and later on he reinstated Peter himself. That's encouragement, that's the investment of belief that pays off as success. God asked Jacob 'what is your name?' My name is Jacob' he replied. God said to him, "Your name is Jacob, but you will no longer be called Jacob; your name will be Israel." So he named him Israel. Look deep and you will understand what is going on in the psychodrama between God and Jacob. Jacob is the name of his failure. God changed it.

Lastly you say my words are nonsensical and lack substance. No wahala. But I have noticed(and I trust others too have) however subtly that you have begun to temper your criticism with the salt of some little word of hope or at least some little positive word. My words as nonsensical and unsubstantiated as they are is percolating into you and causing some shift. It's not a victory for me. It's a victory for you my dear Sir komekn (how did you even come about this most oddest of monikers? grin grin grin)
I was about asking if u believed in the Law of attraction like i do but you obviously already did. Thanks for explaining the importance of encouragement and positive words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:20pm On Jan 17, 2018
Icon4s:

They should just remember we are not going for a fashion parade.
The world cup is now a multilayered event: sports, culture, fashion, music, media all rolled into one. Though football remains the focal point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 8:25pm On Jan 17, 2018
Humility017:

Not a bad set of fixtures but seriously, no South American side? Or even a central American side?

I reckon the thinking by NFF here is we know Argentina well enough that we do not need any rehearsal before our encounter with them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:26pm On Jan 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

The world cup is now a multilayered event: sports, culture, fashion, music, media all rolled into one. Though football remains the focal point.

Just like I told Kog45 earlier today, a good performance can make your Jersey look beautiful.

The Cameroonian jersey of Italia 90 WC appears to be Africa's best Jersey at any world cup while the German jersey of that same tourney is a classic today. Why? because of both teams' performances at that WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 8:32pm On Jan 17, 2018
COOL10:
Oboy u dey try oo. Abeg,Na God I take beg u. No write this kind long thing again. My eyes been wan burst. Abeg

cheesy
Don't worry TheSuperNerd, we appreciate your efforts grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:35pm On Jan 17, 2018
KevinDein:

Not a bad set of fixtures but seriously, no South American side? Or even a central American side?

I reckon the thinking by NFF here is we know Argentina well enough that we do not need any rehearsal before our encounter with them.
what's the essence of playing one...
it takes a very high tactical coach to be able to make do wit inputs from this friendlies like the former US coach..who choosed to play Nigeria in friendlies just to learn one or two things about Ghana..

and truly it pays off....as they record same score line they got against Nigeria.....when they played Ghana in the world cup group fixture.....I think it ended 2:1 in favor of USA...

in the case of Argentina....we have know them long enough...they're not new rivals...so what we need is to build on our knowledge of their national team to outsmart them...playing any south America side will make no difference at all....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:38pm On Jan 17, 2018
Icon79:
DRC is definitely a good team but, this time around, they are not playing for anything. They might not even come with their A team sef. In addition, I am a little worried about playing African opposition at that stage due to injury concerns.

O pari

not every time friendlies are to be played against world cup bound teams...
that injury concerns is true though...I think it is more expensive to bring a European team down here...than shop for an Africa team...
that may have influenced the rationale for the Congo chioce....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 8:39pm On Jan 17, 2018
grin
DrLikita12:

cheesy
Don't worry TheSuperNerd, we appreciate your efforts grin
. grin I had to scroll down after every paragraph to see how much was remaining yet they kept looking bigger. But I enjoyed the post though.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:47pm On Jan 17, 2018
Mickael2:

encouragement I can agree with, infact I dish it out times without number, heck I even said Iheanacho would be my first choice ahead of Ighalo going to the world cup, that's on record which is why I don't reply senseless comments tagging me a hater when I am just trying to be realistic.

Ok now let's look at it this way, Iwobi once had a bad game and as usual goldfish80 called him out for it, I believe it was only tbaba1234 and basco that came to his rescue which is why when tbaba1234 took up this Iheanacho matter with me I kept quiet believing that he is the type of guy who gives a soft hand to everybody, that I can accept.

But then 10mins into a game(AGAINST FLEETWOOD)people were already saying how improved Iheanacho's game is(AGAINST FLEETWOOD) and immediately I said wait for the game to finish, I had tens of guys coming for my head, one perpetual noisemaker even made a lame joke about secondary school when I said Fleetwood is a non-division side, the only time I have ever heard of Fleetwood was when Vardy led Leicester to the league title, I mean we were told that Leicester went from playing for a sunday league team to winning the Epl and since Fleetwood was his team I immediately thought they were still a sunday league team which I aptly corrected afterall. Ok now if Martins plunders goals against Chinese teams we say they are poor, but now Fleetwood is raising so much emotion in our bowls? When you have a kid who went from taking 1st to taking 20, what will you tell the kid when he starts taking 15 when you know very well he can take that top prize? If Mbappe scores a double against Amiens will people even talk about it? That is what it should be, I believe in encouragement but when you encourage mediocrity then there really isn't any room for us to move forward, when you tell a kid that his failings are as a result of everyother persons' fault except his then how is he expected to sit up?(cc theGoodJoe).

Icon4s was making a lot of sense though, we should rejoice with him, we learn things about psychology and during marriage counselling we do tell parents that it's not all the time that you will show your kid that you are pleased with what they did outrightly, I mean if your 16year old kid boils yam for the first time, you may be happy but calm down, act is if you missed it and tomorrow he will cook yam porridge to impress you more, then and only then will you now congratulate him for that one and for the one he cooked the day before that. You are more into law which entails attacking things outrightly which is why I understand your stand, I am only suprised that someone like theSuperNerd does not understand my own point of view, but then again it's because it's me,if I say Nacho has a bad firs touch I am a hater
Thanks Doc. I saw how they came for your head and it was funny to me. I laugh no be small and said kai na im good for you grin grin.
On a serious note though, I have said it that both those who mollycoddle Iheanacho and those who criticize him all the time are no good for him. At best a good mix is what is needed.
And again one is tempted to put Iheanacho down when one sees the unrealistically high praises he receives here with words like world class etc(personally I don't see him as world class at all. Just a good player at least for now). But then to do this is to REACT instead of to RESPOND. To respond means you state the facts as you see them not in reaction to the trumpeters.

As for the psychology you kukuma be dokita. I trust you know better. Cheers my man.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:50pm On Jan 17, 2018
Yea, I think so too. That why I would recommend that we forget about playing any friendly in Nigeria. I don't see what the big deal is.

Playing in Europe is much easier - better logistics and facilities. And Nigerian fans to watch the games on TV. Playing this game on that dry Abuja stadium and against a jam-body African opposition with nothing to lose .... who would rather be playing to make a statement that they can beat a world cup bound team. #worrisome sad

O pari

Humility017:

not every time friendlies are to be played against world cup bound teams...
that injury concerns is true though...I think it is more expensive to bring a European team down here...than shop for an Africa team...
that may have influenced the rationale for the Congo chioce
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:51pm On Jan 17, 2018
Abuja? lol

Humility017:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:52pm On Jan 17, 2018
andrew444:

You be goat,to criticize naija players no dey hard una,how many match ihenancho has played that you want him to prove him self?someone that doesn't leave the bench at times?how you take dey watch your ball,abeg guy you too mumu,in this current market you call 25 million high price tag,I don't think you watch football but rugby,ihenancho wey most of him games na 10 min and 5 min,you want make him use am score goals,morata wey dem buy 75 million has he prove him self or lukaku? See salah wey dey cheaper dey bang goals anyhow,you guys should stop the jealousy on iheanacho and get a life
It's no reason to call him a goat Bro. We engage ourselves here in a civil manner. Kindly delete the insults. It's needless and in a certain sense shows you have no respect for yourself because if you do, you won't find it so easy to insult another just because he has a contrary opinion from yours.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:57pm On Jan 17, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Take it I good faith. It has happened to me a couple of times too.
That's why I stopped posting news. Very annoying
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:00pm On Jan 17, 2018
Humility017:

Omo, I come dey fear say this matches no too much?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:01pm On Jan 17, 2018
Mujtahida:
Omo, I come dey fear say this matches no too much?
adding to this will be too much...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:04pm On Jan 17, 2018
Humility017:

adding to this will be too much...
Obviously they are not adding. I'm saying that as it stands is not too much? Considering that players will be coming off the back of a hectic season. Injuries ooo and possibility of fatigue setting in during the WC is my concern ooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:04pm On Jan 17, 2018
edi287:
Why do I keep getting banned by this mumu spambot for posting articles?

You can leave out the links and just put out the name of the website instead.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2614) (2615) (2616) (2617) (2618) (2619) (2620) ... (16452) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: SamueItem337(m), Odunayaw(m), TheSuperNerd(m), TheGoodJoe(m), Tessyy1701, akwesenana and 15 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.