Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,075 members, 7,946,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 12:13 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2801) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12412000 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2798) (2799) (2800) (2801) (2802) (2803) (2804) ... (16663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:45am On Feb 10, 2018
mank1234:

It was a clear red card. The ref made a mistake there but we can't say if it was an intentional error or not.

That was not someone going for the ball in anyway, especially after he had made some rash challenges earlier. I think one on Ambrose and one on Onazi earlier.

Also keep in mind a player from the French team also committed a similar offence in the group stage that ended the World Cup of another player.

The fact is that there was no way that was not a straight Red. Even the referee was bent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:43am On Feb 10, 2018
Humility017:

cc: icons4

What do you expect from people who wish they were in that position and not Salisu.

Just like how Oliseh criticised Keshi in 2013 until he won the AFCON. When him(Oliseh) became coach wetin him do?

Same way Oliseh was under fire for his CHAN performance until he parted ways with the NFF.

The league generally is poor. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:51am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

How can someone call this a yellow card offence?

I blame Mikel most for Matuidi not getting the red. As soon as Onazi was fouled, Mikel was nearby and just took possession of the ball and was about to continue playing until the ref blew the whistle for a freekick.

Mikel should have halted the game immediately raising both hands up and rushed towards Onazi as if he had just been hit my a trailer.

In taking such decisions the refs also watch the reactions of the player tackled and those around him.
That tackle almost ended Onazi's career!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 6:55am On Feb 10, 2018
tbaba1234:

Yes, jokes aside, i was actually pretty decent.

I had the same weaknesses of most Nigerian keepers, good shot stopper but terrible with the crosses and other fundamentals.

I could make a world class save one second and drop a cross the next minute. Fun times..
LOL. That's really interesting though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 7:07am On Feb 10, 2018
Icon4s:

I blame Mikel most for Matuidi not getting the red. As soon as Onazi was fouled, Mikel was nearby and just took possession of the ball and was about to continue playing until the ref blew the whistle for a freekick.

Mikel should have halted the game immediately raising both hands up and rushed towards Onazi as if he had just been hit my a trailer.

In taking such decisions the refs also watch the reactions of the player tackled and those around him.
I'm suprised that tackle wasent a big deal because I didn't even see it damn! That's very unsportsmanlike, why would you do that to a fellow human no matter the cost, a lot of players don't come back from that!.
Matuidi should have one prayer: to not meet onazi at Russia, because I know what I would do to him if I were onazi, good old Karma never dissapoints.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:21am On Feb 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Not only Mikel. Several players should have raised alarm immediately. Someone like Lehmann would have run out from his post.

Look at the reaction of Fabregas and Gallas when Ramsey got injured. The outrage alone was enough for the red card.

The 2014 team lacked that kind of character.

See the way, Balogun wanted to break one Algerian head in the second leg. You need characters like that in a team.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:22am On Feb 10, 2018
Loogan:

I'm suprised that tackle wasent a big deal because I didn't even see it damn! That's very unsportsmanlike, why would you do that to a fellow human no matter the cost, a lot of players don't come back from that!.
Matuidi should have one prayer: to not meet onazi at Russia, because I know what I would do to him if I were onazi, good old Karma never dissapoints.

Matuidi personally apologized to Onazi.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:45am On Feb 10, 2018
So many activities were seen in the camp of the Super Eagles in the just concluded week. I'm glad NFF kept to their words and delivered their promise of unveiliing a UNIQUE(though controversial) world cup jersey... Once again kudos to the Amaju Pinnick led administration.

The One thing that made me happy was seeing Nigerians(both home and abroad) United once again in supporting their darling National team- The Super Eagles. The design, has given the country a a face lift among commuty of nations(the world it self can't resist the aura of beauty emanating from the largest black nation in the world...

Finally, I saw the nation dream again in the midst of reminiscing the joy and happiness the 1994 Eagles brought to the country making everyone proud to be a Nigerian!.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:27am On Feb 10, 2018
zopaks:

Please can you forward me the e-book on the story of how Germany raised a world cup winning squad to my mail
ayodejicharlez@gmail.com
Confirm receipt
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 8:31am On Feb 10, 2018
tbaba1234:

Not only Mikel. Several players should have raised alarm immediately. Someone like Lehmann would have run out from his post.

Look at the reaction of Fabregas and Gallas when Ramsey got injured. The outrage alone was enough for the red card.

See the way, Balogun wanted to break one Algerian head in the second leg. You need characters like that in a team.

just the same way shehu could have rushed to the ground after the Algerian Brahimi head-butted him, his inexperienced instinct was to rush back at Brahimi... should he have gone down rolling on the floor, the penalty Brahimi created and scored with shehu again being the culprit could have been averted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 8:32am On Feb 10, 2018
Mujtahida:

Confirm receipt

pls I'd so love to read it too.

mickeymojo01@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:43am On Feb 10, 2018
Icon4s:

The tackle was right in front of the referee. Onazi was writhing in pains, and I know he must have been crying out and yet the referee didn't give Matuidi the red card. the next touch of Mikel and the refs call happened simultaneously right immediately after the tackle and immediately without hesitation (perhaps to avoid giving red card) the ref booked Onazi. Would any protestation have changed that? Does FIFA rules as at then permit that after giving a player yellow card, the ref can reconsider and make it red? And why Mikel? Osaze even saw the tackle more directly than Mikel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQtJ1XTxPU
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:53am On Feb 10, 2018
tbaba1234:
Rani Khedira rejected the chance to represent Tunisia in the World cup. The younger brother of Sami Khedira says that he would wait for his chance with Germany.

Reasons
1. He only speaks german. (not french or arabic)
2. He does not want to take opportunities from those who helped the team to qualify.

How noble.... wink

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:54am On Feb 10, 2018
AIG07:
So many activities were seen in the camp of the Super Eagles in the just concluded week. I'm glad NFF kept to their words and delivered their promise of unveiliing a UNIQUE(though controversial) world cup jersey... Once again kudos to the Amaju Pinnick led administration.

The One thing that made me happy was seeing Nigerians(both home and abroad) United once again in supporting their darling National team- The Super Eagles. The design, has given the country a a face lift among commuty of nations(the world it self can't resist the aura of beauty emanating from the largest black nation in the world...

Finally, I saw the nation dream again in the midst of reminiscing the joy and happiness the 1994 Eagles brought to the country making everyone proud to be a Nigerian!.
As part of the dream what if we beat Croatia 3-0. Omo people will say we surely have channeled the 94 spirit.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:57am On Feb 10, 2018
tbaba1234:

That Algerian was the dragon slayer himself... Islam Slimani... Even Musa had to talk to him but calmly because of their Leicester relations....

Slimani thought he could take on Balogun but when Balogun took off his face mask.... Wooossh...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:04am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Blaise Matuidi deserved to be sent off in the France vs. Nigeria match. The PSG midfielder deserved a straight red card for this brutal challenge on Onazi, but the referee only put his name in the book.The French midfielder went in extremely late and his studs clattered Onazi's ankle, the player then being forced to go off injured. The Nigerian was stretchered off and unable to come back on to continue... From Marca

first off, you are the one who always drives it down our throat that once someone who is a professional in a particular field says something then it is exactly like that. Here is what Mikel, a DMF,had to say about the tackle(and he has definetly seen it all before)

Super Eagles midfielder, John Mikel Obi, said
a yellow card was the fair punishment for
Blaise Matuidi for his tackle on Ogenyi Onazi.
The Frenchman’s ill-timed challenge left the
Nigerian midfielder with a fractured ankle,
which required a cast and is expected to
keep him out of action for at least six weeks.
But despite widespread condemnation from
home and strong words from Argentina’s
legend Diego Maradona, Mikel has risen to
the defence of the French international,
saying Matuidi is not a d...

Maradona was just trying to use it to defend Suarez's bite
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:08am On Feb 10, 2018
The power of hindsight.... wink

Well, I get you but sadly Shehu could not discern the future so he couldn't have known that Brahimi would come back to cause that penalty.
Funny thing is when the whistle went, Brahimi thought it was against him thus raising his hands slightly in frustration with that expression of "not again" on his face only to turn and find out the decision was for him and was a penalty. Even he was not convinced about the penalty call... But who bloody cares? He just stepped up and buried it. grin

Hope we learn from that going into the mundial.

M7even:

just the same way shehu could have rushed to the ground after the Algerian Brahimi head-butted him, his inexperienced instinct was to rush back at Brahimi... should he have gone down rolling on the floor, the penalty Brahimi created and scored with shehu again being the culprit could have been averted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:16am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

see the rule here:

“If a player slides to challenge the ball
and he exposes his studs, it’s a yellow
card regardless of whether he wins the
ball; if he doesn’t win the ball and
connects with the opponent it’s a red
card; if he exposes the stud above the
ankle it’s an automatic yellow card
regardless of intent; if he exposes the
stud above the knee it’s an automatic red
card,”

Question time:
1) Matuidi's studs were at which level? Ankle level.

2) Was he sliding? No

3) According to the rule book, since he was not sliding and clearly went for the ball although he ended up catching his man on the ankle is it a red card? Absolutely not.

This is the rule that governs football so I do not know the argument here at all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:20am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

That's too graphic bro! please remove it

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:20am On Feb 10, 2018
Mickael2:

first off, you are the one who always drives it down our throat that once someone who is a professional in a particular field says something then it is exactly like that. Here is what Mikel, a DMF,had to say about the tackle(and he has definetly seen it all before)

Super Eagles midfielder, John Mikel Obi, said
a yellow card was the fair punishment for
Blaise Matuidi for his tackle on Ogenyi Onazi.
The Frenchman’s ill-timed challenge left the
Nigerian midfielder with a fractured ankle,
which required a cast and is expected to
keep him out of action for at least six weeks.
But despite widespread condemnation from
home and strong words from Argentina’s
legend Diego Maradona, Mikel has risen to
the defence of the French international,
saying Matuidi is not a d...

Maradona was just trying to use it to defend Suarez's bite

If I pour my venom on Mikel this morning una go say I wicked.

See his statement.

Little wonder why he reacted the way he did. He is not his brother's keeper at all. Even if he thought it was a fair challenge couldn't he have made a big deal out of it? He should not try that rubbish in Russia o.

Onazi was a strong young player. Mikel should just praise God that it was not him that was tackled that way. His career would have ended that day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:24am On Feb 10, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
The power of hindsight.... wink

Well, I get you but sadly Shehu could not discern the future so he couldn't have known that Brahimi would come back to cause that penalty.
Funny thing is when the whistle went, Brahimi thought it was against him thus raising his hands slightly in frustration with that expression of "not again" on his face only to turn and find out the decision was for him and was a penalty. Even he was not convinced about the penalty call... But who bloody cares? He just stepped up and buried it. grin

Hope we learn from that going into the mundial.

Nothing again mattered about that game.

Some one in the NFF made sure we lost 3-0, Brahimi or no Brahimi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:27am On Feb 10, 2018
Icon4s:

If I pour my venom on Mikel this morning una go say I wicked.

See his statement.

Little wonder why he reacted the way he did. He is not his brother's keeper at all. Even if he thought it was a fair challenge couldn't he have made a big deal out of it? He should not try that rubbish in Russia o.

Onazi was a strong young player. Mikel should just praise God that it was not him that was tackled that way. His career would have ended that day.

the truth is that we were not there. We merely watched it on tele, Mikel was there so was the ref and Mikel too decided that the foul wasn't red card worthy, close scrutiny of this foul shows that it actually isn't a red card. Matuidi's second foot was clearly on the ground and his studs were not even showing, they were at ankle level. This foul is just like someone stepping on you, just that the position of Onazi's leg made it easier for his leg to bend in that horrible way, on another day if Onazi's leg was firmly on the ground he wouldn't even get a slight bruise from this same tackle
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:37am On Feb 10, 2018
Mickael2:

see the rule here:

“If a player slides to challenge the ball
and he exposes his studs, it’s a yellow
card regardless of whether he wins the
ball; if he doesn’t win the ball and
connects with the opponent it’s a red
card; if he exposes the stud above the
ankle it’s an automatic yellow card
regardless of intent; if he exposes the
stud above the knee it’s an automatic red
card,”

Question time:
1) Matuidi's studs were at which level? Ankle level.

2) Was he sliding? No

3) According to the rule book, since he was not sliding and clearly went for the ball although he ended up catching his man on the ankle is it a red card? Absolutely not.

This is the rule that governs football so I do not know the argument here at all.

Stop dribbling. It is simple, the referee failed to issue a deserved red card.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:40am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Stop dribbling. It is simple, the referee failed to issue a deserved red card.

if this is the only thing you could come up with after going through the rules I stated clearly for you to read and digest then I can conclude that you know the truth but you just want to key into this 'white man feeds on black man' mentality
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:46am On Feb 10, 2018
Mickael2:

the truth is that we were not there. We merely watched it on tele, Mikel was there so was the ref and Mikel too decided that the foul wasn't red card worthy, close scrutiny of this foul shows that it actually isn't a red card. Matuidi's second foot was clearly on the ground and his studs were not even showing, they were at ankle level. This foul is just like someone stepping on you, just that the position of Onazi's leg made it easier for his leg to bend in that horrible way, on another day if Onazi's leg was firmly on the ground he wouldn't even get a slight bruise from this same tackle

Oga, I don't know what you are saying.

90% of pundits world-wide who reanalyzed that incident called it a straight Red card.

I am more vexed with Mikel because due to his position as one of leaders of the team and also his experience in the game, he should have made the best out of that incident.

Common, we are not talking about a WAFU competition or an AFCON qualifiers. This was a Works cup 2nd round game for goodness sake's. A game we were having the upper hand in terms of ball possession and chances created and you know with France being one man down we stand a better chance of carrying the day. Is it every day you get to play at the 2nd round of a world cup?

Rohr better teaches his boys about some of these acts o. They can make the difference in critical games. Look at Kaita's case at the 2010 WC and how the Greek player made the best of it.

I was really vexed at that Matuidi vs Onazi incident and I am still pained. We were robbed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:48am On Feb 10, 2018
Mickael2:

if this is the only thing you could come up with after going through the rules I stated clearly for you to read and digest then I can conclude that you know the truth but you just want to key into this 'white man feeds on black man' mentality

Maradona asked a simple question, where is the ball. I do not need to read a rule book to know murder when I see one. This was too clear.

Matuidi had a very clear intention to injure a player and I need no rule book to know that is a straight red. That was Matuidi's studs to the ankle of Onazi.

"The French side will announce to the world before a game that we are very physical so that they can come and commit murder and get away with it, yet Fifa will fold their arms and do nothing," Onazi said."I am totally in tune with Maradona, who believes that the tackle on me was worst that what Luis Suarez did to Italian Chellini."

The energetic midfielder therefore called on Fifa to go back to review the incident and mete out necessary sanctions to serve as a deterrent to others.

"I want to please beg that Fifa should go back and watch the tape of the game and apply necessary sanctions for the good of the game, otherwise it’s Nigeria today, it could be another big country tomorrow. Justice must be done," he added.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:49am On Feb 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Oga, I don't know what you are saying.

90% of pundits world-wide who reanalyzed that incident called it a straight Red card.

I am more vexed with Mikel because due to his position as one of leaders of the team and also his experience in the game, he should have made the best of that incident.

Common, we are not talking about a WAFU competition or an AFCON qualifiers. This was a Works cup 2nd round game for goodness sake's. A game we were having the upper hand in terms of ball possession and chances created and you know with France being one man down we stand a better chance of carrying the day. Is it every day you get to play at the 2nd round of a world cup?

Rohr better teaches his boys about some of these acts o. They can make the difference in critical games. Look at Kaita's case at the 2010 WC and how the Greek player made the best of it.

I was really vexed at that Matuidi vs Onazi incident and I am still pained. We were robbed.

ehm, no offence Sir, but bar Maradona and one other guy like that, who else said that the foul was worthy of a red card?

PS: Maradona isn't even a proper analyst but let's just add him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:50am On Feb 10, 2018
Even Mikel Obi annoyed me with his statement then. This was an attempt to destroy a player. Unfortunately, Onazi was never the same after that tackle. He came back a different player.

I guess Matuidi destroyed him.

Yet someone is talking rule book.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:54am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Maradona asked a simple question, where is the ball. I do not need to read a rule book to know murder when I see one. This was too clear.

Matuidi had a very clear intention to injure a player and I need no rule book to know that is a straight red. That was Matuidi's studs to the ankle of Onazi.

"The French side will announce to the world before a game that we are very physical so that they can come and commit murder and get away with it, yet Fifa will fold their arms and do nothing," Onazi said."I am totally in tune with Maradona, who believes that the tackle on me was worst that what Luis Suarez did to Italian Chellini."

The energetic midfielder therefore called on Fifa to go back to review the incident and mete out necessary sanctions to serve as a deterrent to others.

"I want to please beg that Fifa should go back and watch the tape of the game and apply necessary sanctions for the good of the game, otherwise it’s Nigeria today, it could be another big country tomorrow. Justice must be done," he added.

so if you are a ref you will be using sentiments? Oga, there is nothing like 'I know murder when I see one', you are the ref, you are meant to enforce the rules not make the rules, I am strongly going to believe that you have never been to any referee refresher course, infact, here in Nigeria, coaching courses also come with a healthy dose of referee tutorials and you probably didn't attend either. This is what the referee asks; has this player done anything contrary to the rules? The ref does not say 'in my mind I think this guy deserves a red card, why? Because I THINK so'. I already showed you the rules and yet you now want to argue with the rulebook.

Oh, if you are still looking for the ball, watch the extended highlight and you will see it, if you still don't understand then check what a 'follow-up' means
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:54am On Feb 10, 2018
Mickael2:

So if you were a referee, you'll be giving only yellow for career threatening tackle because you're applying the rule. That was an attack on the person with malicious intent not for ball winning. There were several calls in March that the referee refused to make call. Watch it again to clear your doubt.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:55am On Feb 10, 2018
TheGoodJoe:
Even Mikel Obi annoyed me with his statement then. This was an attempt to destroy a player. Unfortunately, Onazi was never the same after that tackle. He came back a different player.

I guess Matuidi destroyed him.

Yet someone is talking rule book.

if there is no rule book then a red card offence here may not even be a foul tomorrow, so I don't understand what you are saying. Shouldn't we consult the rule book when we are not sure?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 9:59am On Feb 10, 2018
Icon4s:

Nothing again mattered about that game.

Some one in the NFF made sure we lost 3-0, Brahimi or no Brahimi.
its funny shehu is in all this because he played grin first shehu is not eligible, he plays and then gets to cause a dubious penalty. Its Rohr i blame for not using ebuebi or Aina in that match.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2798) (2799) (2800) (2801) (2802) (2803) (2804) ... (16663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.