Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,429 members, 7,923,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 11:05 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2886) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12262084 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2883) (2884) (2885) (2886) (2887) (2888) (2889) ... (16524) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:05am On Feb 24, 2018
Kog45:
I keep on saying it hope Rohr get it right

Hopefully he does and he doesn't let sentiment overwhelm him with echiejile, all we are truly look I g for is at least good performance from that lad..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:08am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

While I would not want to throw this age cheating allegation under the carpet, I would want us to have it in mind that there is a certain 15 years Nur in Elkanemi who has been around since last year I think. That is just one popular player we know about. Nazifi is another player that has been with Kano Pillars since 15years of age. 5 years time that Nur would still be U20 do we say because he has been around for 6 years he can't be U20? Food for thought.

MFM I know is another club reputed for parading of young players.

By and large, a proper investigation be carried out by the NFF technical committee to clarify these allegations.

The report is vague. They should have at least had a quote from someone or a particular name on the list.

That said, it is normal in this climes to have some that are not the right age. I recently shared pictures of "18 year olds" from Akwa United.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:13am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

If Uzoho is up to the task, there is no point saving him for experience sake. The big name keepers, i mentioned earlier were very young when they were thrown into league and Champions League games.

Sometimes, it is up to the coach's discretion to decide if this kid is ready.

So how do you know he is up to the task when he has not played a high pressure and high stake game? This is why Rohr now rates Ezenwa highly, the points he scored in the high pressure and high stakes games of the WC qualifiers.

Ajiboye after the Sudan game(CHAN) was hailed all over the country. But when he came under pressure against Morocco, he reminded us he is an NPFL goalkeeper.

The big name keepers you have also mentioned at 19 were not on the same pedestal Uzoho is today. They were already ahead.

Thank God you keep remembering that he is a kid.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:17am On Feb 24, 2018
bengine:

Hopefully he does and he doesn't let sentiment overwhelm him with echiejile, all we are truly look I g for is at least good performance from that lad..

Before we throw Echiejile overboard I hope we know Brian Idowu is still Russian.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:21am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

So how do you know he is up to the task when he has not played a high pressure and high stake game? This is why Rohr now rates Ezenwa highly, the points he scored in the high pressure and high stakes games of the WC qualifiers.

Ajiboye after the Sudan game(CHAN) was hailed all over the country. But when he came under pressure against Morocco, he reminded us he is NPFL goalkeeper.

The big name keepers you have also mentioned at 19 were not on the same pedestal Uzoho is today. They were already ahead.

Thank God you keep remembering that he is a kid.

When Pepe made Uzoho number 1, how did he decide that he was ready for the extra pressure of playing for the first team? This was a team battling relegation so the pressure to perform is more.

For every young keeper, one coach had to make that decision that they were ready.

These things depend on the coach's discretion and his willingness to take the risk.

In the games you talk about, Ezenwa was hardly under pressure. The defense protected him well. Lest we forget, we almost qualified in Yaounde if not for needless rashness from Ezenwa.

We also saw the worst of Ezenwa in the qualifiers in the Algerian game.

The coach will not be going after Uzoho and Maduka if he was comfortable with his goalkeeping situation.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:23am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:
All the invited players to under 20 camp... I do not know what to make of this list..

ALL THE INVITED PLAYERS

Ikouwem Udoh (Enyimba FC);
Peter Eneji (Plateau United);
Nur Muhammed (El-Kanemi Warriors);
Wasiu Abdulazeez (Enyimba FC);
Aniekieme Okon (Akwa United);
Valentine Ozounwafor (Enyimba FC);
Aminu Nuhu (Akwa United);
Nazifi Yahaya (Kano Pillars);
Isa Ndala (Nasarawa United);
Adesina Gata (Akwa United);
Alhassan Ibrahim (Kano Pillars);
Douglas Achiv (Nasarawa United);
Jamilu Muhammed (Kano Pillars);
Mubarak Abdulsalam (Wikki Tourists);
Sadiq Abdullahi (Nasarawa United);
Akila Jadima (MFM FC);
Charles Agbo (El-Kanemi Warriors);
Frank Kappe (Katsina United);
Idris Said (Niger Tornadoes);
Ospino Egbe (MFM FC);
Malachy Chibuzor (Rivers United);
Sunday Anthony (El-Kanemi Warriors);
Abiodun Joseph (Sunshine Stars);
Nurudeen Mudashiru (ABS FC);
Waheed Adebayo (MFM FC);
Mubarak Ejiogu (Niger Tornadoes);
Detan Ogundare (Kogi United);
Amos Obasogie (Insurance FC)

Is there any player you expected on the list that is not there?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:26am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

How many African keepers are where Uzoho is at 19?

Pepe was willing to give him a chance in the first team but he was fired and the new coach went back to the fumbling oldies. Now that coach has also been fired.

What we need to find out is whether Uzoho can cut it, when the pressure is high and the stakes are high.

The same people (Icon4s and co) who adore Ondoa for being a bench warmer in Spain's third division are against Uzoho a regular starter in a promotion chasing club in the league Ondoa, their anointed prince, was a bench warmer. Smh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:35am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

The report is vague. They should have at least had a quote from someone or a particular name on the list.

That said, it is normal in this climes to have some that are not the right age. I recently shared pictures of "18 year olds" from Akwa United.
Notwithstanding the wash that owngoalnigeria.com is, the guy who runs it is very knowledgeable about the NPFL. He is called the encyclopedia of the NPFL. He knows what he is saying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:39am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

When Pepe made Uzoho number 1, how did he decide that he was ready for the extra pressure of playing for the first team? This was a team battling relegation so the pressure to perform is more.

For every young keeper, one coach had to make that decision that they were ready.

These things depend on the coach's discretion and his willingness to take the risk.

In the games you talk about, Ezenwa was hardly under pressure. The defense protected him well. Lest we forget, we almost qualified in Yaounde if not for needless rashness from Ezenwa.

The coach will not be going after Uzoho and Maduka if he was comfortable with his goalkeeping situation.

What Ajiboye was at CHAN finals, Ezenwa already was at WAFU finals. Dem both chop 4.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:42am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Did Pepe ever make Uzoho number 1?

"Needles rashness" and "worst of Ezenwa" yet he never conceded from open play.

If the defense was organized don't you feel the goalie also played a part in that?

We have seen the best and Worst of Ezenwa and I can tell you amongst the keepers we have in the team presently he is the one I am most comfortable with.

You talk about his occasional rash decisions. What do we have keeper trainers in the team for.

Nobody pointed this out, Ajiboye was too rooted to his line in that Morocco game. When you are faced with an attacker sometimes you don't just wait on the line for him to hit the shot and then you attempt to "pari" it. Sometimes you come out of your line a little to distract the striker, reduce his reaction time and also narrow his shooting angle. Ajiboye once or twice even "paried" the ball straight into the legs of the Moroccans.

I personally don't have so much confidence in Ezenwa. But he is the keeper I am most comfortable with.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:44am On Feb 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

What Ajiboye was at CHAN finals, Ezenwa already was at WAFU finals. Dem both chop 4.

For Ezenwa, 2 from penalty kicks.

For Ajiboye all 4 from open play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:47am On Feb 24, 2018
This gonna sound stupid but just read it. I was suffering from insomnia last night so started gallivanting from one site to another, I read about a certain Philip Chijioke Ejimadu an 18yr goalkeeper based in Brazil. Sharply, I purchased airtime via my bank and subscribed. I started reading and watching his games on YouTube.

I was impressed with what I saw and funny enough, after comparing his YouTube videos with other keepers within same age bracket with him, he trumps them all from my own observations. If we had that guy earlier, we might not av bn contemplating bringing back those worn out players like aiyenugba, ejide, Akpeyi and even Ezenwa. That dude is a cat and is in the plans of Brazilian FA. He is wanted by Borussia Durtmond. Sir tbaba1234 plz study this name PHILIP CHIJIOKE EJIMADU.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:47am On Feb 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

The same people (Icon4s and co) who adore Ondoa for being a bench warmer in Spain's third division are against Uzoho a regular starter in a promotion chasing club in the league Ondoa, their anointed prince, was a bench warmer. Smh

Hahaha, if we are taking Uzoho to the AFCON, then we should just all go and sleep and think of other departments of the team.

Do you realize it is the World Cup we are talking about here?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:49am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Did Pepe ever make Uzoho number 1?

"Needles rashness" and "worst of Ezenwa" yet he never conceded from open play.

If the defense was organized don't you feel the goalie also played a part in that?

We have seen the best and Worst of Ezenwa and I can tell you amongst the keepers we have in the team presently he is the one I am most comfortable with.

You talk about his occasional rash decisions. What do we have keeper trainers in the team for.

Nobody pointed this out, Ajiboye was too rooted to his line in that Morocco game. When you are faced with an attacker sometimes you don't just wait on the line for him to hit the shot and then you attempt to "pari" it. Sometimes you come out of your line a little to distract the striker, reduce his reaction time and also narrow his shooting angle. Ajiboye once or twice even "paried" the ball straight into the legs of the Moroccans.

I personally don't have so much confidence in Ezenwa. But he is the keeper I am most comfortable with.

Uzoho was made number 1 for Deportivo and played 2 games for the first team before Pepe was fired.

How many shots did Cameroon have that he would concede from open play? We stifled them over two legs.

If we did not get the result against Zambia, that rash penalty would have cost us big time especially with the nff fumble.

In the Cameroon game, Ezenwa did not need to tackle the striker because Ekong had it covered and the player was already wide anyway.

Making the right decision on when to come out and when to stay is important for a goalie. Just like you should not be static, you should not have too much andrenaline and rush out when it is needless.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:51am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Hahaha, if we are taking Uzoho to the AFCON, then we should just all go and sleep and think of other departments of the team.

Do you realize it is the World Cup we are talking about here?

If Cameroun had won this place ahead of us, would u av bn against the idea of them taking Ondoa who is still a bench warmer to Russia?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:53am On Feb 24, 2018
ChrisKels:
This gonna sound stupid but just read it. I was suffering from insomnia last night so started gallivanting from one site to another, I read about a certain Philip Chijioke Ejimadu an 18yr goalkeeper based in Brazil. Sharply, I purchased airtime via my bank and subscribed. I started reading and watching his games on YouTube.

I was impressed with what I saw and funny enough, after comparing his YouTube videos with other keepers within same age bracket with him, he trumps them all from my own observations. If we had that guy earlier, we might not av bn contemplating bringing back those worn out players like aiyenugba, ejide, Akpeyi and even Ezenwa. That dude is a cat and is in the plans of Brazilian FA. He is wanted by Borussia Durtmond. Sir tbaba1234 plz study this name PHILIP CHIJIOKE EJIMADU.

I shared his info on this page a few days ago. 18 year old, highly rated in Brazil. His mum is Brazilian, his father is Nigerian and American. So he has 3 nationalities.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:55am On Feb 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

I saw his YouTube video.

His talent is so obviously exceptional that I had to comment that Uzoho and Alampasu should watch their backs.

Pinnick and his team should make the needed moves now. The world cup may be out of it but we can let him know we are interested in him by inviting him to the U20 team. And then once the AFCON qualifiers resume we go for him in full.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:58am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

I shared his info on this page a few days ago. 18 year old, highly rated in Brazil. His mum is Brazilian, his father is Nigerian and American. So he has 3 nationalities.

His Mum is Brazilian? Chai, this one go hard o.

She go just take her Brazilian wig tie him down for Brazil

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:59am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Oh really? Didn't know his name has been mentioned here before. That boy needs a look-in. He is that good

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:02am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

I saw his YouTube video.

His talent is so obviously exceptional that I had to comment that Uzoho and Alampasu should watch their backs.

Pinnick and his team should make the needed moves now. The world cup may be out of it but we can let him know we are interested in him by inviting him to the U20 team. And then once the AFCON qualifiers resume we go for him in full.

For sir Icon4s to have rated and buy into the hype of a prospect, then what I saw in that boy is true. He is real

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:04am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

His Mum is Brazilian? Chai, this one go hard o.

She go just take her Brazilian wig tie him down for Brazil

If Brazil drafts him for under 20, then we have to be looking to cap him at senior level before Brazil does.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:06am On Feb 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

If Cameroun had won this place ahead of us, would u av bn against the idea of them taking Ondoa who is still a bench warmer to Russia?

Ondoa would definitely be their number 1 because he has faced the test of the AFCON, he faced the test of the FIFA confederations Cup and he faced the test of the AFCON qualifiers, keeping in all 8 games. He has been greatly exposed within this last 1-2years. His coaching crew and entire team plus entire nation know him in and out. They have seen his best and also seen his worst.

Now, which test or exposure does Uzoho have?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:10am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Ondoa would definitely be their number 1 because he has faced the test of the AFCON, he faced the test of the FIFA confederations Cup and he faced the test of the AFCON qualifiers, keeping in all 8 games. He has been greatly exposed within this last 1-2years. His coaching crew and entire team plus entire nation know him in and out. They have seen his best and also seen his worst.

Now, which test or exposure does Uzoho have?

Before AFCON, what experience did Ondoa have? He was on the bench in division 3 but the coach decided to give him a shot.

The coach decided he was ready.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:13am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Uzoho was made number 1 for Deportivo and played 2 games for the first team before Pepe was fired.

How many shots did Cameroon have that he would concede from open play? We stifled them over two legs.

If we did not get the result against Zambia, that rash penalty would have cost us big time especially with the nff fumble.

In the Cameroon game, Ezenwa did not need to tackle the striker because Ekong had it covered and the player was already wide anyway.

Making the right decision on when to come out and when to stay is important for a goalie. Just like you should not be static, you should not have too much andrenaline and rush out when it is needless.

The fact that Uzoho kept goal for Deportivo in those two games never made him number 1.

Talking about Ezenwa and Cameroon, I ask again, does a keeper not have a role to play in organizing his defense?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 8:16am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

You know why I still have concerns over that boy?

His age.

Should I even tell you that he doing well in those friendlies doesn't necessarily mean he will do well in a real match situation?

Goalkeepers generally get better with age. Uzoho definitely has a lot to learn as a goalie.

how old was coutoius when chelsea loaned him to atletico madrid and he walked straight into the team? I have my reservations about Uzoho's age considering some players' knack to age cheat so as to enjoy long footballing career

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:17am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

Before AFCON, what experience did Ondoa have? He was on the bench in division 3 but the coach decided to give him a shot.

The coach decided he was ready.

As I said, if it were the AFCON we are going for there would be no need for this debate.

And again don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against Uzoho, and I am not saying he will not come out good. What I am saying is he is not tested enough for you guys to be having the kind of confidence you are putting on him. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:18am On Feb 24, 2018
LieDetector:
how old was coutoius when chelsea loaned him to atletico madrid and he walked straight into the team? I have my reservations about Uzoho's age considering some players' knack to age cheat so as to enjoy long footballing career

Did Belgium take Courtois to the WC that year?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:19am On Feb 24, 2018
Mujtahida:

In whatever order they come but I think those are going to be our three gk. Personally if I were Rohr na Uzoho go keep. Sometimes one has to court the goddess fortuna.

All I feel in my heart is that we will do well at the WC. Our Jersies have set the tone grin grin tongue tongue

Jersies.. Lol
But kind skeptical though cos we need to get things right from the beginning ,if we don't get it right there is no amount of preparation we put in it might not come out good.

Just kept having flashes of SA game where we had days of preparing... Played Senegal, played Corsica trained in London then get whipped and attached the failure to absence of established players.

Just prayed we get our tactics right and do the necessary things to get the job done.

Cos people have been having alot of expectations on this team including me too.
Just pray they don't fail to deliver .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:21am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

The fact that Uzoho kept goal for Deportivo in those two games never made him number 1.

Talking about Ezenwa and Cameroon, I ask again, does a keeper not have a role to play in organizing his defense?

The other experienced keepers were just taking a vacation on the bench abi Pepe promoted him to number 1 for that period. Unfortunately, he was sacked before Uzoho played enough games.

Goalkeepers organize the defensive wall during set-pieces. Freekicks and corners. That is about it. I can not give Uzoho the credit for organizing the defence against Argentina for instance.

We stifled Cameroon because of organization from midfield to defence. It was a team effort

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:23am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:

The other experienced keepers were just taking a vacation on the bench abi Pepe promoted him to number 1 for that period. Unfortunately, he was sacked before Uzoho played enough games.

Goalkeepers organize the defensive wall during set-pieces. Freekicks and corners. That is about it. I can not give Uzoho the credit for organizing the defence against Argentina for instance.

We stifled Cameroon because of organization from midfield to defence. It was a team effort

"It was a team effort" and Ezenwa was not part of the team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 8:26am On Feb 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Did Belgium take Courtois to the WC that year?
i had to dig this up from the telegraph. It's belgium 24 man world cup list for 2014. See?

Belgium provisional 24-man squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid, on loan from Chelsea), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Sammy Bossut (Zulte Waregem).

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Atlético Madrid), Laurent Ciman (Standard Liege), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Munich), Anthony Vanden Borre (Anderlecht), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Nacer Chadli (Tottenham), Steven Defour (Porto), Moussa Dembélé (Tottenham), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United), Axel Witsel (Zenit).

Forwards: Kevin De Bruyne (Wolfsburg), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Adnan Januzaj (Manchester United), Romelu Lukaku (Everton), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Kevin Mirallas (Everton), Divock Origi (Lille).

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 8:26am On Feb 24, 2018
tbaba1234:
Ola Aina with a Man of the match performance yesterday.

How can someone who has the interest of the team
Hopes that someone like this lad or Idowo bé dropped for Echiejile? Someone who knows somebody who knows Rohr should tell him that we the genuine fans will not take it.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2883) (2884) (2885) (2886) (2887) (2888) (2889) ... (16524) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Mujtahida and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.