Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,590 members, 7,878,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 02:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2906) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12019711 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2903) (2904) (2905) (2906) (2907) (2908) (2909) ... (16405) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:12am On Feb 27, 2018
Danielnino00:
Going by the reports from complete sports its like ideye has been recalled to the team... I really hope he gets dropped if he fails to impress this time around.. I don't care about the work rate or whatever some people on this thread use to rate him... He is. striker and we need goals from him... We can't take two inconsistent and wasteful strikers in Ighalo and Ideye to the WC....

Hopefully Rohr will extend an invitation to Desser, Onauchu,Sadiq Umar,Bonaventure and even Taiwo Awoniyi...just any striker that can convert at least one chance in 5...

I just finished watching d highlight of our game against Zambia,and the chances Ighalo missed just vex me... if he tries it at d WC,we are in trouble!
My man you are talking

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 12:14am On Feb 27, 2018
tbaba1234:

Lol.. I only posted the goals, he conceded..

Remember, he has also had several shut-outs this season.

Its kind of funny how ppl are complaining..plz name any of our current goalkeeper that would have saved any of the goals except the one he went to dribble..

The hardest for any goalie are goals from diagonal passes and crosses..I was satisfied to see he conceded from those kind of goals..world class GK struggle from what I listed above..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:21am On Feb 27, 2018
Hey!!! Tbaba1234 please did you just watch these videos today or you have seen them before?

So this is the Uzoho you guys have been shouting about here!!!?

Oh my God!!!

Cheap goals from a division 3 league for that matter.
I watched all the videos. And my observations:

1. He is poor in dealing with low shots
2. He is poor in dealing with crosses
3. His reflexes are not sharp
4. He is poor in his positional abilities
5. He often looks lost when his defense is under pressure

For people saying they are old videos. Even if they were recorded 2 years ago, such deficiencies are not what you can completely correct within 2 years. Goal keeping at the senior level is not for rookies. He was trying to dribble a striker in one of the videos and got beaten by the striker instead. That was what Baruwa did that led to the recall of Peter Rufai in 1998

Even Dele Ajiboye is far ahead of this kid.

Please let us put sentiments aside, Uzoho looks to me an U20 goalkeeper. He is not ripe as our WC first choice. He still has a long way to go.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:29am On Feb 27, 2018
Kog45:
Something is really wrong and we should all share the blame not only eagles technical crew.

We are not being truthful with ourselves when it comes to sensitive issues,emotions and sentiments always overrides our judgements and is seriously affecting us

Someone was asking here is Dele Aiyenugba not a Nigerian but he was shut down and some started citing 2012 Guinea match,and a moniker said he was blacklisted from eagles,beer parlour talks.

I'm seeing a situation where Austin Ejide would be recalled cos the friendlies would determine a lot and Uzoho just need to tell us he is battle ready.

WC is approaching and the situation especially goalkeepers is getting more complicated cos i realized Rohr doesn't rate Ezenwa and Ajiboye and it would be his greatest undue.He need to give them equal opportunity to prove themselves.

Uzoho i saw in that clips look amateurish and not really good for this WC but tbaba said is old clips but Uzoho joined Deportivo this season or last so to me is recent,but am waiting for friendlies to see may be the goalkeeper trainer has really done a lot with him.

I hope Uzoho is the key cos failing is like starting all over again.

We can't mess this coming WC up by not getting good keeper.

Banking on Uzoho as the key?

Hmm.... Kog45, you surprise me o. You that have come a long way in this game.

He may come out good In the friendlies. But hey! I fear for The WC o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:37am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon79:
My goodness, this is quite discouraging! I have only watched two clips but that's enough ... Uzohor is not a world cup caliber team. Making him our starting goalkeeper would be like taking knife to a gun fight, folks shocked

Right now, I think I would be interested in taking a look at Dele. We're definitely in deep shis if we can't sort out this goalkeeping issue before June. Can the NFF even explore the options of convincing some of these goalkeepers, in Euro league, who have zero chance of going to world cup to switch their allegiance?

O pari

Hahahahahahahahaha..... Wow! Coming from you Icon79?! cheesy But you were sky-high in confidence saying Uzoho is your choice to be our starting GK at the mundial. Lol.... Sir Tbaba1234's small dossier on goals conceded by Uzoho come make you change mind sharp sharp.... Chaaaiiiiii.... Oga mii.... Check that confidence level oooo... Lol.

Please, Sir Tbaba only posted Uzoho's downtimes naa..... Something Chief Icon4s wanted to see too.... Uzoho is not Superman and neither is he unbeatable between the sticks. He is also still growing and is just 19 naa... Abi? So relax... He is still the same Francis Uzoho with bags of top class potential which made Deportivo throw him into the deep against Eibar in the LA liga. Also, most of those goals conceeded were from way back before the Spanish article described Uzoho of now as a young goalie who learns in a week what it takes a month for others to learn. The coaches at Deportivo hace seen this lad grow into a top prospect indeed and the Uzoho of now is not the same of five or six months ago.

I know we are in a dicey situation as regards our goalies.... Lol... But fact is we must make a choice after all... Hopefully it be the best choice. More like the "best risk" wink

I knew that a meltdown will happen once Sir Tbaba posted the clips of Uzoho's mishaps and goals conceeded from months back.... But I didn't expect Icon79 to go into 180 degrees turn around of absolute meltdown...... He dey even ask for nationality switch for any available top flight goalie not going to world cup.... Hahahahahahahahaha..... grin. Omo, Bros... You dey funny I swear... Hahahahahahahahaha....

I will pay more attention to the stats that shows Uzoho had kept quite an astonishing good amount of clean sheets from a good number of games... 11 shut outs in 17 in all... Come on... Rohr seems to have made his choice to place his trust in this big young lad. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge....

But for the comments of fear and uncertainty following those clips ehn.... Chaaiiiiiiii..... Una meltdown crack me up pass...

#Holymeltdown....Hahahahahahahahaha

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:40am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:
Hey!!! Tbaba1234 please did you just watch these videos today or you have seen them before?

Oh my God!!!

For people saying they are old videos. Even if they were recorded 2 years ago, such deficiencies are not what you can completely correct within 2 years. Goal keeping at the senior level is not for rookies. He was trying to dribble a striker in one of the videos and got beaten by the striker instead. That was what Baruwa did that led to the recall of Peter Rufai in 1998

Please let us put sentiments aside, Uzoho looks to me an U20 goalkeeper. He is not ripe as our WC first choice. He still has a long way to go.

I just expected this lashing the moment Sir Tbaba1234 agreed to post the clips.... Chaaiiiii... No single iota of disappointment is seen in me now sef..... Dad, you met my expectations.... Uzoho's cross Examination day Don come be that...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:50am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

Looooollll..... Even in the high corridors of the Esteemed Elders council, the diceyness of the situation is felt in different shades.....

An elder is shocked to see another elder show even the tiniest hint of faith in a rookie.... Hahahahahahahahaha.....

This Gk matter ehn... I have told you I will speak in deeper details on it only after the march friendlies and the one before the England game..... Omo... Na that England game I dey wait for pa sef... Lol

In the land of The Eagles and a time of rebirth, (part of) the destiny of a rising young golden generation rests on the shoulders of a young boy..... His name...... grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:50am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

oga icon4s i think Rohr believe he is the key so let's wait and see may be the key can open the door but with the clips the guy is not better than Ajiboye and Ezenwa.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:57am On Feb 27, 2018
bengine:

Its kind of funny how ppl are complaining..plz name any of our current goalkeeper that would have saved any of the goals except the one he went to dribble..

The hardest for any goalie are goals from diagonal passes and crosses..I was satisfied to see he conceded from those kind of goals..world class GK struggle from what I listed above..
My mam hope you saw Ajiboye's saves against Sudan and Ezenwa against Angola,pls be sincere can Uzoho do it especially against Sudan.

I just hope Uzoho come good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:13am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

I have seen most of them months ago..

The man was not in consideration for the national team at the time.

I was impressed with the two la liga games, he played in.

We will see how he performs in the friendlies
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:23am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

Oh my God!!!

Chief.... I think you should calm down first before bringing out the sword of judgment. The clips you just watched ehn.... Loooolll... This is mostly Uzoho before the Argentina game oooo.... Hahahahahahahahaha....

Your no 1... Low shots... Every tall goalie has this problem when growing up as youngsters in the game. Check them all... David De gea, Pete Cech, Van der Saar, etc... Most or all of them did struggle with low shots when they were far younger in the game and some of them will face such hell today... It is like a known weakness all over the world for tall goalies. Even Donnarumma (world's best young goalie) have his rough days with low shots a few times. Alban LA Font of toulouse too... wink

Your no. 2..... Dealing with crosses... Lol... Uzoho in recent times have shown good improvements with crosses... As seen in the Eibar game in LA liga and in the Argentina game. We cannot use the clips of months ago to paint the whole story on Uzoho's cross handling abilities.

Your no.3..... Reflexes... Hmmm... His coaches did say in that Spanish article (translated into English) and posted by Sir Tbaba1234 that Uzoho has grown in leaps and bounds and his development has been phenomenal even though he still have a couple more things to master to become the ultimate goalie choice for Deportivo in the near future.

Did you see his reflex save against Argentina from Dario Benedetto? That is as recent as it gets and that is the Uzoho of now and the one Rohr is putting his trust in and NOT the one of many months ago who was still learning the ropes as he began his rise up the GK ladder.
I must say he has come a long way pretty fast even though he still has a loooonnngggg way to go... Don't you think so?

Your no.4.... Positioning. Now yes... This is something he is still yet to master even despite his shut out against Argentina. It was mentioned in that same article shared many pages ago by Sir Tbaba1234 that positioning and a really good sense of judgment (superior decision making) are Uzoho's biggest flaws which he is trying to get good grips on. I think with more games, he will get into the hang of these skills... They are mastered overtime and not in just one match. Give it time Chief.... wink

Your no.5.... Often looks lost when defence is under pressure. Well, yeah, sometimes... But against Argentina, he looked so calm when the Argies came at us. He even sounded out to is more senior defensive lieutenants and big general Balogun, helping to keep them organised. Noooooo... I am not saying he is there yet ooooo....mbanu... Dad, no misunderstand me bikonu... I just dey talk say he shows good potential to be calm if he gets his concentration right and can be more consistent showing a calm figure while his defence is under pressure.

See ehn.... In the end... I admit making Uzoho number 1 for the mundial is A RISK even if he pulls off world class saves and post shut outs in all the friendlies he plays in.
But thing is Ajiboye too is a risk.... He has not played beyond the level of the CHAN and the NPFL. He has not played beyond the level of African football.
Akpeyi nko... Well, I believe you can fill that in.

Ezenwa... Now he looks the more suitable having been in goal for the Eagles in crucial competitive fixtures and did well for the most parts but his "Blood rush" like a vampire going for the kill could be our downfall in Russia as he could give out needless penalties and cause avoidable goals.

Alampasu nko... Well I like this lad so much but he has not been active. But we both know in the coming years he, Uzoho, Okoye, Akpan David, etc etc will be in contention to drag for the Eagles no.1 and no.2 GK spots.

All our options are risks Chiefs... And of all of them, Uzoho is the youngest and have played at a much higher level.... And plays at a level that sees him being no.1 for Deportivo fabril in a division two levels below LA liga. Well..... All na risk...

This is not me discussing the goalies in details... I have not even scratched the surface... because my kind of talk on the goalies will be an in depth look into their strengths and weaknesses and which ones we can afford to tolerate and which we cannot afford to manage.... Then we look at their attitude and their psyche... We look at their motivation and their fear factor... Mehn... So much to look at... And I won't go into all that... Mbanu... Not now... But after most of the friendlies...

This here is just to point out a few stuffs to you on your five points made on Uzoho. wink That's all Dad... Now uhmmmm you can continue the lashing.... Na Uzoho turn afterall...

This GK situation ehn...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 1:27am On Feb 27, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Hahahahahahahahaha..... Wow! Coming from you Icon79?! cheesy But you were sky-high in confidence saying Uzoho is your choice to be our starting GK at the mundial. Lol.... Sir Tbaba1234's small dossier on goals conceded by Uzoho come make you change mind sharp sharp.... Chaaaiiiiii.... Oga mii.... Check that confidence level oooo... Lol.

Please, Sir Tbaba only posted Uzoho's downtimes naa..... Something Chief Icon4s wanted to see too.... Uzoho is not Superman and neither is he unbeatable between the sticks. He is also still growing and is just 19 naa... Abi? So relax... He is still the same Francis Uzoho with bags of top class potential which made Deportivo throw him into the deep against Eibar in the LA liga. Also, most of those goals conceeded were from way back before the Spanish article described Uzoho of now as a young goalie who learns in a week what it takes a month for others to learn. The coaches at Deportivo hace seen this lad grow into a top prospect indeed and the Uzoho of now is not the same of five or six months ago.

I know we are in a dicey situation as regards our goalies.... Lol... But fact is we must make a choice after all... Hopefully it be the best choice. More like the "best risk" wink

I knew that a meltdown will happen once Sir Tbaba posted the clips of Uzoho's mishaps and goals conceeded from months back.... But I didn't expect Icon79 to go into 180 degrees turn around of absolute meltdown...... He dey even ask for nationality switch for any available top flight goalie not going to world cup.... Hahahahahahahahaha..... grin. Omo, Bros... You dey funny I swear... Hahahahahahahahaha....

I will pay more attention to the stats that shows Uzoho had kept quite an astonishing good amount of clean sheets from a good number of games... 11 shut outs in 17 in all... Come on... Rohr seems to have made his choice to place his trust in this big young lad. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge....

But for the comments of fear and uncertainty following those clips ehn.... Chaaiiiiiiii..... Una meltdown crack me up pass...

#Holymeltdown....Hahahahahahahahaha

Funny enough I knew this was a trap set by Sir Icon4s when he asked Sir Tbaba1234 to post the video..any goalie can look really terrible when u start seeing goals they concede, its better to show both saves and conceded goals to get an overall judgement..

Truly tall goal keepers struggle with low shots, he would have to work pretty hard to overcome this..I really want to see Uzoho in the friendlies to see improvements he has made....I'm not truly sold on any of our goalies..the friendlies will determine who is ready..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 1:42am On Feb 27, 2018
Kog45:
My mam hope you saw Ajiboye's saves against Sudan and Ezenwa against Angola,pls be sincere can Uzoho do it especially against Sudan.

I just hope Uzoho come good.

I saw the saves Ajiboye made and they were great...the only reason I wasn't fully sold on Ajiboye was the way he saves..high quality GK make saves and not parry balls into opponent path..this was heavily in display against morocco, thou I did avoid saying anything about it then..high quality gk would save and parry to a non dangerous spot, this is where awareness comes in, I really didn't see that in Ajiboye..I'm sure he has aerial crossing issues also, that weakness wasn't really exploited..

With regards to Ezenwa, all you need is some quality cross into the box and Ezenwa is no where to be found, at the world cup, most of our opponents would try to explore this..even Enyeama at his best still bowed to one of those quality crosses from France..its easy for everyone to say Ezenwa did well against cameroun knowing fully well he wasn't truly tested same as Uzoho in the second half against Argentina.

The kind of players that were crossing at wafu,Chan and even npfl is totally different from the kind of crosses you would get at the world cup.

I really want to see all our gk tried at a higher level b4 I can have faith in any of them..for now, naa long thing we dey..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 1:51am On Feb 27, 2018
Kog45:
oga icon4s i think Rohr believe he is the key so let's wait and see may be the key can open the door but with the clips the guy is not better than Ajiboye and Ezenwa.

Like Sir Icon4s use to say, the coaches know better than we do, he sees them in training and knows their weaknesses ..why would Rohr want Uzoho if he is not seeing something,..

If Ezenwa, Akpeyi had been measuring up, do u think Rohr would be looking to make a 19yrs old first choice at world cup..those guys named above are just not good enough..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:53am On Feb 27, 2018
Ogu Eager To Return For Hapoel Beer-Sheva After Four-Match Suspension
By Johnny Edward

Hapoel Beer-Sheva midfielder John Ogu is looking forward to his return to action for his club against Ironi Kiryat Shmona in Wednesday’s quarter-final second leg Israeli Cup game after serving out his four-match ban.
The first leg ended 1-1 at the Yaakov Turner Toto Stadium three weeks ago.
Ogu was banned for four games for misconduct by the Israeli FA after he was sent off in Hapoel Beer-Sheva’s 1-0 defeat to Maccabi Tel Aviv last month but claims he is mentally and physically ready to return.

“The dark days are over I’m ready to get back into action again,” Ogu told Completesportsnigeria.com.

He also wrote on his official Instagram page: “Thank you to the real Supporters of my Club for the support during my suspensions. I think now I got to know the real people in my life and Career. I will keep fighting for you to put a smile on your faces. Love you all!!

The game will be his 145th in all competitions for Hapoel Beer-Sheva since he joined the club in 2015.

Ogu who has played 18 games and scored once so far this term has won the Israeli league title twice, the Israeli Super Cup twice and the Israeli Toto Cup once.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ogu-eager-return-hapoel-beer-sheva-four-match-suspension/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 107 days 14 hours 5mins to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:03am On Feb 27, 2018
Yet another Championship team of the week for Ola Aina

Hull City Salute Aina Over Championship Team of The Week Accolade
By James Agberebi

Hull City have congratulated Super Eagles defender Ola Aina following his inclusion into the Championship Team of the Week.
The Championship Team of the Week was compiled by football facts and stats website whoscored.com.
Aina’s selection was as a result of his impressive performance for Hull in their 1-0 home win against Sheffield United on Friday.
Whoscored.com placed Aina in the right-back position in a 4-4-2 formation in their XI.

Reacting to Aina’s inclusion, Hull wrote on their verified Twitter handle: “Another well-deserved selection in WhoScored’s SkyBetChampionship Team of the Week for Ola Aina. Congratulations, Ola!”

Whoscored.com’s Championship Team of the Week:

Sam Johnstone (Aston Villa)

Ola Aina (Hull City)

Adam Webster (Ipswich Town)

Jake Cooper (Millwall)

George Friend (Middlesbrough)

Robert Snodgrass (Aston Villa)

Sean Clare (Sheffield Wednesday)

Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa)

Joe Lolley (Nottingham Forest)

Kieffer Moore (Barnsley)

Lee Tomlin (Nottingham Forest)

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/hull-city-salute-aina-championship-team-week-accolade/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 107 days 13 hours 56mins to go

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 2:07am On Feb 27, 2018
Based on that uzoho clip i watched he is not better than ezenwa or ajiboye infact they should be given equal chance to fight for number 1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 2:16am On Feb 27, 2018
Ebuehi and aina are really working hard to make the world cup and elchejile is chilling on the bench in Belgium duv 2 shocked mo fo o
TheSuperNerd:
Yet another Championship team of the week for Ola Aina

Hull City Salute Aina Over Championship Team of The Week Accolade
By James Agberebi

Hull City have congratulated Super Eagles defender Ola Aina following his inclusion into the Championship Team of the Week.
The Championship Team of the Week was compiled by football facts and stats website whoscored.com.
Aina’s selection was as a result of his impressive performance for Hull in their 1-0 home win against Sheffield United on Friday.
Whoscored.com placed Aina in the right-back position in a 4-4-2 formation in their XI.

Reacting to Aina’s inclusion, Hull wrote on their verified Twitter handle: “Another well-deserved selection in WhoScored’s SkyBetChampionship Team of the Week for Ola Aina. Congratulations, Ola!”

Whoscored.com’s Championship Team of the Week:

Sam Johnstone (Aston Villa)

Ola Aina (Hull City)

Adam Webster (Ipswich Town)

Jake Cooper (Millwall)

George Friend (Middlesbrough)

Robert Snodgrass (Aston Villa)

Sean Clare (Sheffield Wednesday)

Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa)

Joe Lolley (Nottingham Forest)

Kieffer Moore (Barnsley)

Lee Tomlin (Nottingham Forest)

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/hull-city-salute-aina-championship-team-week-accolade/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 107 days 13 hours 56mins to go

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:17am On Feb 27, 2018
CSKA Moscow Loanee Samuel Set To Make Full Debut For Amkar Perm On Tuesday

Amkar Perm will face Russian Football National League side Avangard Kursk in the quarterfinals of the Russian Cup on Tuesday and manager of the Premier League club Gadzhi Gadzhiyev is considering handing a full debut to his new signing Aaron Samuel, allnigeriasoccer.com understands.

Based on Amkar Perm's training sessions in Turkey, where the Nigeria international striker started in games against FK Budućnost Podgorica and Alashkert FC, everything indicates that the CSKA Moscow loanee will start tomorrow's match against Avangard Kursk.

Brian Idowu has been named in Amkar Perm's starting line-up in their last two matches in the Cup, operating on the left flank and the defender will retain his spot.

Former Warri Wolves captain Fegor Ogude is the third Super Eagles star in contention to start, the defensive midfielder started the last five matches in the league plus the win over Rostov in the Cup.

Amkar Perm last reached the semifinal of the Russian Cup during the 2015-16 season and contested the final in 2008.
Idowu and Ogude have played nonstop at the Red and Blacks since the 2014.

Aaron Samuel completed his loan move to the Perm based club on the final day of the winter transfer market, February 22.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26747

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 107 days 13 hours 42mins to go
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:39am On Feb 27, 2018
Can Francis Uzoho still be Nigeria’s number one at the World Cup?
By Kunle Fayiga, Correspondent

The young goalkeeper has not seen any first team action in Spain since his breakthrough in October; can he still be the preferred choice in Russia?

It was a moment of joy last October when a relatively unknown
Francis Uzoho became the youngest foreign goalkeeper to feature in the Spanish Primera Division when Deportivo La Coruna drew 0-0 with Eibar .

He would go on to make another appearance against Kayode Olarenwaju’s Girona, and soon caught the attention of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.

The 19-year old was given his maiden senior national team call-up in November’s friendly with Argentina, and came on as a second-half substitute for the disappointing Daniel Akpeyi in the comeback 4-2 friendly win in Krasnodar.

He impressed, and instantly won the hearts of many fans, prompting speculation that he could be the future of Nigeria's goalkeeping.

However, since the Girona game, Uzoho has failed to feature for the senior team, but has rather been a regular part of the B team.
Indeed the Aspire Academy graduate has featured 15 times, but does being a reserve player hinder his prospects of being the preferred choice between the sticks in Russia, with Carl Ikeme still a long way from recovery and Vincent Enyeama ruled out for a potential return?

*Pic below the article*.....
Be careful when i stare at you like this # I LOVE MY JOB #IN CHRIST ALONE 9:53 PM - Nov 28, 2017
135 26 people are talking about this Uzoho Francis @Uzohof

Rohr still sees potential in Uzoho, and took big strides in sending goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti to Spain to work with the young goalie earlier this month. That the Nwangele native has kept 10 clean sheets for the Depor B team is a sign of the promise he still has for the future, but is it enough to set him apart from his goalkeeping rivals ahead of the World Cup ?

Ikechukwu Ezenwa still looks primed to be the favourite goalkeeper to man the post in Russia.

He kept in the final three World Cup qualifiers and featured in both the WAFU Cup and African Nations Championship in Ghana and Morocco respectively. He put in strong performances in both tournaments as the Super Eagles made it to the final but lost out to the respective host countries.

Daniel Akpeyi continues to have low approval ratings among Nigerian fans after making consistent blunders whenever called upon. He has been doing well for his club side Chippa United in South Africa, but he has a long way to recovery before supporters can believe in his abilities again.

With the National Team Goalkeeper trainer going to Spain to train with Francis Uzoho, it's safe to say Uzoho would be going to Russia and MIGHT just be the first choice goalie.
12:45 PM - Feb 25, 2018 See Demola Ivan Ayobami's other Tweets Demola Ivan Ayobami @demydemo

Others in contention are Dele Ajiboye and Daniel Alampasu.

The former replaced Ezenwa after the Enyimba goalie got injured in the 1-0 CHAN semi-final win over Sudan. He was instrumental in keeping the Sudanese from getting the equaliser and won a lot of praise. The Plateau United shot stopper could however barely do anything in the 4-0 bashing by Morocco in the final.

Alampasu seems to be a long shot, having failed to make a single appearance with Portuguese outfit Feirense. He was on the bench thrice during the qualifiers, but it’s not certain that Rohr will throw the dice on a keeper without game time unless there’s a serious crisis.

No way Francis Uzoho starts for us in the world cup except he performs extra special in any of the upcoming 5 friendlies if given a chance. 11:49 AM - Feb 10, 2018
1 See TROJAN HORSE's other Tweets 10 Feb TROJAN HORSE @mayojava

These things dont work like that, we've seen him play just in one friendly and it wasnt for full 90 mins. He sits on the bench in Spain. If na by foreign based, Dele Alampasu is in Portugal as well sitting on the bench. twitter.com/omojolinho/sta… TROJAN HORSE @mayojava

For Uzoho, failing to consistently appear for the Deportivo senior team could count against him, in that the chance to play against the likes of Lionel Messi and Ivan Rakitic - who will all feature for Argentina and Croatia in Group D, is now gone.

This would have been the chance for the youngster to get better understanding of his opponents and would also improve his abilities with such exposure, but will playing for Depor's reserve side give him enough exposure to top-level opponents ahead of Russia?

Putting trust in Uzoho for a big event like the World Cup might be risky due to his lack of experience.

Such was the case when Mile Svilar [above] represented Benfica in this season’s Uefa Champions League group phase.

He became the youngest goalkeeper to feature in the competition when he made his bow against Manchester United, but the occasion was however marred by the 18-year old Belgian making a costly error and putting the ball into his own net.
It was a major reminder that experience remains one of the most valuable assets for keepers at any level of the game, let alone the top.

Uzoho still has a long and bright career ahead of him, and while it’s too early to say what his position will be when the World Cup kicks off in June, it is at least comforting to know he is still in Rohr’s plans.

However, it is the German tactician who has the tough job of selecting the suitable goalie that won’t jeopardise Nigeria’s chances of making a big impression at the global showpiece, and if Uzoho continues to play at reserve level, it would represent a major gamble to plump for him.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/can-francis-uzoho-still-be-nigerias-number-one-at-the-world/12k4jcoktaw9h1glli898rmj6o

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 107 days 13 hours 19 mins to go

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:50am On Feb 27, 2018
bengine:

Funny enough I knew this was a trap set by Sir Icon4s when he asked Sir Tbaba1234 to post the video..any goalie can look really terrible when u start seeing goals they concede, its better to show both saves and conceded goals to get an overall judgement..

Truly tall goal keepers struggle with low shots, he would have to work pretty hard to overcome this..I really want to see Uzoho in the friendlies to see improvements he has made....I'm not truly sold on any of our goalies..the friendlies will determine who is ready..

Yes Tall Goalies and low shots are like parallel lines my good man. It takes extra efforts and technique developed overtime to enable some of these tall goalies deal with tricky hard hit low shots...

And on the friendlies... No worry, we go watch am together naa... March don reach sef... Two things I wanna see....

1. The Super Eagles consolidating on that momentum built from the Argentina game in their glorious new jerseys.... grin (Chief Icon4s go wan find my trouble now with Jersey-matics... cheesy )

2. The Super Eagles Goalies and watching for their performances.

In all, just get ready... Na we dey here... cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:33am On Feb 27, 2018
AIG07:
can you pls expatiate the bold. Which is more important and result yielding at the highest level of football: street or academy?
it depends..when it comes to discipline and sticking to tactics one usually gets more with players that grew in an academy since they drilled from very early age however when it comes to spontaneity and the likelihood of the unpredictable one usually gets that from players that learn football in the streets.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:58am On Feb 27, 2018
oga sir you are only raising this alarm based on the last Chelsea match.

How many assists and goals was credited to Moses in the previous season? How about this season so far?
Moses is only 1 goal and 1 assist shy of his tally from last premier league season.
Didn't Moses play like the winger that he is during the WC qualifiers?
Moses is not losing nothing. Looking at his tackling rate, he is improving an aspect of his game. Let the stats speak. If you still doubt me, let's talk again after the March friendlies.

BascoVanVeli:

How can u say he is losing nothing when it is clear to see that he is getting less offensive. Just like with Alaba and Rakitic I feel the situation runs a risk of affecting our national team. Great for club but bad for country.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:23am On Feb 27, 2018
Another string of argument about Uzo
The guy for sure is going to the WC irrepective of all these rants on this thread about Uzo
Rohr's action sending trainers to help him in Spain is as a result of some deficiencies noted in him but more importantly his laudable abilities evident to the coaches
Uzo is a goalie for the future and he's being prepped to man the post for 9ja in the nearest future.
He's young consistent and promising so enough of this banters and let's watch the coaches do their thing

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:27am On Feb 27, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Chief.... I think you should calm down first before bringing out the sword of judgment. The clips you just watched ehn.... Loooolll... This is mostly Uzoho before the Argentina game oooo.... Hahahahahahahahaha....

Your no 1... Low shots... Every tall goalie has this problem when growing up as youngsters in the game. Check them all... David De gea, Pete Cech, Van der Saar, etc... Most or all of them did struggle with low shots when they were far younger in the game and some of them will face such hell today... It is like a known weakness all over the world for tall goalies. Even Donnarumma (world's best young goalie) have his rough days with low shots a few times. Alban LA Font of toulouse too... wink

Your no. 2..... Dealing with crosses... Lol... Uzoho in recent times have shown good improvements with crosses... As seen in the Eibar game in LA liga and in the Argentina game. We cannot use the clips of months ago to paint the whole story on Uzoho's cross handling abilities.

Your no.3..... Reflexes... Hmmm... His coaches did say in that Spanish article (translated into English) and posted by Sir Tbaba1234 that Uzoho has grown in leaps and bounds and his development has been phenomenal even though he still have a couple more things to master to become the ultimate goalie choice for Deportivo in the near future.

Did you see his reflex save against Argentina from Dario Benedetto? That is as recent as it gets and that is the Uzoho of now and the one Rohr is putting his trust in and NOT the one of many months ago who was still learning the ropes as he began his rise up the GK ladder.
I must say he has come a long way pretty fast even though he still has a loooonnngggg way to go... Don't you think so?

Your no.4.... Positioning. Now yes... This is something he is still yet to master even despite his shut out against Argentina. It was mentioned in that same article shared many pages ago by Sir Tbaba1234 that positioning and a really good sense of judgment (superior decision making) are Uzoho's biggest flaws which he is trying to get good grips on. I think with more games, he will get into the hang of these skills... They are mastered overtime and not in just one match. Give it time Chief.... wink

Your no.5.... Often looks lost when defence is under pressure. Well, yeah, sometimes... But against Argentina, he looked so calm when the Argies came at us. He even sounded out to is more senior defensive lieutenants and big general Balogun, helping to keep them organised. Noooooo... I am not saying he is there yet ooooo....mbanu... Dad, no misunderstand me bikonu... I just dey talk say he shows good potential to be calm if he gets his concentration right and can be more consistent showing a calm figure while his defence is under pressure.

See ehn.... In the end... I admit making Uzoho number 1 for the mundial is A RISK even if he pulls off world class saves and post shut outs in all the friendlies he plays in.
But thing is Ajiboye too is a risk.... He has not played beyond the level of the CHAN and the NPFL. He has not played beyond the level of African football.
Akpeyi nko... Well, I believe you can fill that in.

Ezenwa... Now he looks the more suitable having been in goal for the Eagles in crucial competitive fixtures and did well for the most parts but his "Blood rush" like a vampire going for the kill could be our downfall in Russia as he could give out needless penalties and cause avoidable goals.

Alampasu nko... Well I like this lad so much but he has not been active. But we both know in the coming years he, Uzoho, Okoye, Akpan David, etc etc will be in contention to drag for the Eagles no.1 and no.2 GK spots.

All our options are risks Chiefs... And of all of them, Uzoho is the youngest and have played at a much higher level.... And plays at a level that sees him being no.1 for Deportivo fabril in a division two levels below LA liga. Well..... All na risk...

This is not me discussing the goalies in details... I have not even scratched the surface... because my kind of talk on the goalies will be an in depth look into their strengths and weaknesses and which ones we can afford to tolerate and which we cannot afford to manage.... Then we look at their attitude and their psyche... We look at their motivation and their fear factor... Mehn... So much to look at... And I won't go into all that... Mbanu... Not now... But after most of the friendlies...

This here is just to point out a few stuffs to you on your five points made on Uzoho. wink That's all Dad... Now uhmmmm you can continue the lashing.... Na Uzoho turn afterall...

This GK situation ehn...

Goalkeeping skills are not something you acquire within months of training. That those videos were captured before the Argentina game (or months ago) does not make much difference.

Goalkeeping weaknesses are not completely corrected in months. Do you know how many years it took Courtois to deal with his weakness for low shots? A goalie that went to Athletico from Chelsea on loan for 3 seasons. Returned to Chelsea haven kept at the highest level in Europe(UCL final) and still had that deficiency until of late. This is a highly talented goalie.

You know Enyeama, had problems with crosses and saving of penalties earlier on in his career. But he worked on them. But it took a couple of years.

Goalkeepers learn these things from conceding goals from their weaknesses , getting criticised for it and they working hard over time to improve on them.

Uzoho is just starting and let this WC not kill his career o because Nigerians do not forgive.

Aiyenugba for instance is still suffering from the goals he conceded against Guinea till date.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:32am On Feb 27, 2018
Victor Moses plays differently for Nigeria than he does for Chelsea... He does not cross for Nigeria.. He plays with a lot more freedom.

The list will be released this week.. Ideye is back and Nwakaeme out.. Anyone not invited now can forget the WC.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:39am On Feb 27, 2018
As regards the goalkeeping situation, Nigeria will be fine.

Before the Cameroon game, i watched all goals conceded by Ezenwa and i was terrified.

He lacked all the basics and in my eyes, was at fault for majority of the goals conceded at the Spanish invitational.

Ezenwa performance against Cameroon at home was very reassuring. Confident, grabbed crosses and i thought he had a good game.

Players raise their game when the occasion calls for it. When Uzoho played in La liga, he did not look out of place at all. Against Argentina, he also looked very confident.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:39am On Feb 27, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Can Francis Uzoho still be Nigeria’s number one at the World Cup?
By Kunle Fayiga, Correspondent

The young goalkeeper has not seen any first team action in Spain since his breakthrough in October; can he still be the preferred choice in Russia?

It was a moment of joy last October when a relatively unknown
Francis Uzoho became the youngest foreign goalkeeper to feature in the Spanish Primera Division when Deportivo La Coruna drew 0-0 with Eibar .

He would go on to make another appearance against Kayode Olarenwaju’s Girona, and soon caught the attention of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.

The 19-year old was given his maiden senior national team call-up in November’s friendly with Argentina, and came on as a second-half substitute for the disappointing Daniel Akpeyi in the comeback 4-2 friendly win in Krasnodar.

He impressed, and instantly won the hearts of many fans, prompting speculation that he could be the future of Nigeria's goalkeeping.

However, since the Girona game, Uzoho has failed to feature for the senior team, but has rather been a regular part of the B team.
Indeed the Aspire Academy graduate has featured 15 times, but does being a reserve player hinder his prospects of being the preferred choice between the sticks in Russia, with Carl Ikeme still a long way from recovery and Vincent Enyeama ruled out for a potential return?

*Pic below the article*.....

Rohr still sees potential in Uzoho, and took big strides in sending goalkeeper trainer Enrico Pionetti to Spain to work with the young goalie earlier this month. That the Nwangele native has kept 10 clean sheets for the Depor B team is a sign of the promise he still has for the future, but is it enough to set him apart from his goalkeeping rivals ahead of the World Cup ?

Ikechukwu Ezenwa still looks primed to be the favourite goalkeeper to man the post in Russia.

He kept in the final three World Cup qualifiers and featured in both the WAFU Cup and African Nations Championship in Ghana and Morocco respectively. He put in strong performances in both tournaments as the Super Eagles made it to the final but lost out to the respective host countries.

Daniel Akpeyi continues to have low approval ratings among Nigerian fans after making consistent blunders whenever called upon. He has been doing well for his club side Chippa United in South Africa, but he has a long way to recovery before supporters can believe in his abilities again.

Others in contention are Dele Ajiboye and Daniel Alampasu.

The former replaced Ezenwa after the Enyimba goalie got injured in the 1-0 CHAN semi-final win over Sudan. He was instrumental in keeping the Sudanese from getting the equaliser and won a lot of praise. The Plateau United shot stopper could however barely do anything in the 4-0 bashing by Morocco in the final.

Alampasu seems to be a long shot, having failed to make a single appearance with Portuguese outfit Feirense. He was on the bench thrice during the qualifiers, but it’s not certain that Rohr will throw the dice on a keeper without game time unless there’s a serious crisis.

For Uzoho, failing to consistently appear for the Deportivo senior team could count against him, in that the chance to play against the likes of Lionel Messi and Ivan Rakitic - who will all feature for Argentina and Croatia in Group D, is now gone.

This would have been the chance for the youngster to get better understanding of his opponents and would also improve his abilities with such exposure, but will playing for Depor's reserve side give him enough exposure to top-level opponents ahead of Russia?

Putting trust in Uzoho for a big event like the World Cup might be risky due to his lack of experience.

Such was the case when Mile Svilar [above] represented Benfica in this season’s Uefa Champions League group phase.

He became the youngest goalkeeper to feature in the competition when he made his bow against Manchester United, but the occasion was however marred by the 18-year old Belgian making a costly error and putting the ball into his own net.
It was a major reminder that experience remains one of the most valuable assets for keepers at any level of the game, let alone the top.

Uzoho still has a long and bright career ahead of him, and while it’s too early to say what his position will be when the World Cup kicks off in June, it is at least comforting to know he is still in Rohr’s plans.

However, it is the German tactician who has the tough job of selecting the suitable goalie that won’t jeopardise Nigeria’s chances of making a big impression at the global showpiece, and if Uzoho continues to play at reserve level, it would represent a major gamble to plump for him.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/can-francis-uzoho-still-be-nigerias-number-one-at-the-world/12k4jcoktaw9h1glli898rm

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 107 days 13 hours 19 mins to go

This is the best write up I have seen thus far on this goalkeepers issue.

For those that have chosen to throw away the importance of experience in a goalkeeping position, due to sentiments, hmm, I just dey laugh.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:44am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

This is the best write up I have seen thus far on this goalkeepers issue.

For those that have chosen to throw away the importance of experience in a goalkeeping position, due to sentiments, hmm, I just dey laugh.

You are spot on as regards the importance of experience in goalkeeping but we are in a peculiar situation. The two most experienced keepers are out.

In France 98, we had a goalkeeping crisis that was clear after we were walloped in friendlies. We decided to call the old warhorse back but my man was already finished at the time.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:59am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

Oh my God!!!

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha. I don laugh tire. Anxiety, frustration, anger, vexation is written all over your write up. Chai, this gk issue na nightmare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:59am On Feb 27, 2018
tbaba1234:

You are spot on as regards the importance of experience in goalkeeping but we are in a peculiar situation. The two mos are .

In France 98, we had a goalkeeping crisis that was clear after we were walloped in friendlies. We decided to call the old warhorse back but my man was already finished at the time.

Talking about that France 98, taking Rufai to that WC was not a mistake or bad choice as peeps look at it today.
Despite how finished he was, he was our best choice.
You saw how Baruwa and William Okpara embarrassed themselves in the Yugoslavia and Holland friendlies. You think they would have performed better than what Rufai did in that WC?

That semi-retired Rufai was still our best goalkeeper at that time. That was the situation we found ourselves.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 7:12am On Feb 27, 2018
Icon4s:

Talking about that France 98, taking Rufai to that WC was not a mistake or bad choice as peeps look at it today.
Despite how finished he was, he was our best choice.
You saw how Baruwa and William Okpara embarrassed themselves in the Yugoslavia and Holland friendlies. You think they would have performed better than what Rufai did in that WC?

That semi-retired Rufai was still our best goalkeeper at that time. That was the situation we found ourselves.
truth is experience or not any serious opposition will simply xray whoever is going to be our keeper in a match down to the bare bones and exploit it

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2903) (2904) (2905) (2906) (2907) (2908) (2909) ... (16405) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheGoodJoe(m), dijon and 19 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.