Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,602 members, 7,878,726 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2916) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12019915 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2913) (2914) (2915) (2916) (2917) (2918) (2919) ... (16405) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 4:19pm On Feb 28, 2018
asha80:
1962 yes but 1986 no..defenders of the 80s and 90s are slower than defenders of now but they were more rugged and ruthless and fifa rules now protected top strikers and midfielders LESS then than now
You may be right, but teams are generally more compact and tactical now than ever. Football has become science, so no player can do it like Maradona did then, because individual play hardly gets you far in this era of tactics.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
Oasis007:

If I am to be honest with my preferred midfield Combo - not the Combo that would possibly earn me free Likes and Shares on this Thread........ I will certain go with Mikel as the base - deep-lying Playmaker; Joel Obi Box2Box, and Alex Iwobi as attacking Midfield.

Iwobi as AmF might b a bad idea oo.. he can't hold onto the ball for too long and he is poor defensively.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:27pm On Feb 28, 2018
I watched and there is no way Ezenwa won't make Russia except via injuries.
TheSuperNerd:
Thanks for watching Dad. You also saw how Mumini refused to stick out his neck to make a choice for Rohr.
But he did say an Ezenwa may be his preference only based on his recent competitive performances for the Eagles plus hr experience he garnered. But shaa.... Mumini hammers that Rohr must have seen something special in Uzoho to take the action he is taking by attaching Pionetti to him.

In all, Rohr's enigma... Na him go solve am. And I hope he solves it right.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
He wasn't.
Icon79:
But before the CHAN was he the #1 goalkeeper for Enyimba tho? Because I am hearing different things.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
Sure we cant change from supporting the SE no matter who he picks but 4 years is too long to toy with this current one. worldcup no be moim moim, worldcup makes old men cry. our current squad look so united and alot expected from them. any silly decision can make or mar the chances of performing wonders.

There is nothing saying we cant win the worldcup. If Greece/Portugal could win the Euro cup against all odds, why not Nigeria?
South Korea ended up 3rd some years ago, why can't an African team achieve same or more?

Oasis007:

grin

....... but seriously I'm ain't much concerned with the Crisis, cos whoever Rohr picks should be ready to perform convincingly.

Nigerian Fans never forgive and forget, I'm only pitying the Rookies and hope they gonna seize the Chance when they get it.

Aiyenugba ain't bad for his Club, nor is he battling Psychological Problem while repping Naija Color, but he fumbled in a Match....... Nigerians ain't ready to forgive, forget and give him another Chance.

As a Fan, I'm gonna support the Team - regardless to whoever makes the final List, cos I'm a proud Nigerian. I hope they succeed in Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Danielnino00:

Iwobi as AmF might b a bad idea oo.. he can't hold onto the ball for too long and he is poor defensively.

Does he need to hold on to the Ball, or making decisive Passes in the final Third, creating Chances and being a reliable Link between the Attack and the Defence?!

As for the bolded....... AMF means Attacking Midfielder!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:40pm On Feb 28, 2018
somehow:
Sure we cant change from supporting the SE no matter who he picks but 4 years is too long to toy with this current one. worldcup no be moim moim, worldcup makes old men cry. our current squad look so united and alot expected from them. any silly decision can make or mar the chances of performing wonders.

There is nothing saying we cant win the worldcup. If Greece/Portugal could win the Euro cup against all odds, why not Nigeria?
South Korea ended up 3rd some years ago, why can't an African team achieve same or more?

grin

It's good to aim higher, to be an Optimist but sometimes I do prefer to be a Realist. Have we got it right?! No! Are we on the right Track...... hopefully!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:45pm On Feb 28, 2018
edi287:

Yeah I heard Messi doesn't like him because he's friends with Maxi Lopez.
Funny how rumors are flying of Wada cheating on him with an Inter player.

Yes Messi doesn't like him,not only did Wanda cheat in him with icardi,icardi Married Wanda and Wanda already had 3 kids with maxi Lopez,icardi even tattooed the face of maxi Lopez 3 kids on his hand,Wanda also have 2 kids with iCardi making her kids 5
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:45pm On Feb 28, 2018
lol you fell for it. Nineveh dey costa rica? was there anything like costa rica in 1692? grin
junnyjake:

Who told you that lie?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 4:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
Realistically we can win the worldcup. who believe we could have won the Olympic gold in 1994? what does it take to win? a willing, capable and determined team!
Oasis007:

grin

It's good to aim higher, to be an Optimist but sometimes I do prefer to be a Realist. Have we got it right?! No! Are we on the right Track...... hopefully!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
Danielnino00:

Good point. He has improved on the defensive side of the game this season. Besides I wouldn't want Mikel as a regista without Ndidi being one of the CM due to his energy.
I'd play a 4-3-3 with Mikel as Regista, Joel Obi and Ndidi/Onazi as CM and Iwobi as our wide playmaker.
Iwobi needs to show up this WC because he's our next source of creativity after Mikel. If Mikel gets marked out, it's all on him to show up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
somehow:
Realistically we can win the worldcup. who believe we could have won the Olympic gold in 1994? what does it take to win? a willing, capable and determined team!

grin

I admire your Confidence in the Team and his Handlers!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
andrew444:

Yes Messi doesn't like him,not only did Wanda cheat in him with icardi,icardi Married Wanda and Wanda already had 3 kids with maxi Lopez,icardi even tattooed the face of maxi Lopez 3 kids on his hand,Wanda also have 2 kids with iCardi making her kids 5
Wanda is a hoe. Plain and simple.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
somehow:
I wouldn't go that far...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:57pm On Feb 28, 2018
edi287:

Good point. He has improved on the defensive side of the game this season. Besides I wouldn't want Mikel as a regista without Ndidi being one of the CM due to his energy.
I'd play a 4-3-3 with Mikel as Regista, Joel Obi and Ndidi/Onazi as CM and Iwobi as our wide playmaker.
Iwobi needs to show up this WC because he's our next source of creativity after Mikel. If Mikel gets marked out, it's all on him to show up.

Well,its up to Rohr to try him out at AmF in d friendly... But seriously, Iwobi could have gotten better with his ball holding ability if he had a better coach than Wenger...
His form at arsenal has really declined since he burst into limelight a few years ago..8 goals in over 60 games for d first team isn't a good record for a forward....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:03pm On Feb 28, 2018
somehow:
lol you fell for it. Nineveh dey costa rica? was there anything like costa rica in 1692? grin

Hehehe, fell for it ke.

Football started in the 18th century even.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:18pm On Feb 28, 2018
You mean these 2 guys played alone against 11 men opponents and won?
asha80:
garrincha 1962 and maradona 1986 say hi...well seriously these two players largely won the world cup by themselves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
Well how we see life can never be the same.
edi287:

I wouldn't go that far...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Only on Mikel and this fast counter attack talk....

You saw the fast/Super quick passing that led to the Super Eagles' third goal against Argentina abi? You know it was from Ndidi to Iheanacho then to Mikel who found Iwobi, who then found Iheanacho (again) before his last touch rolled into Idowu's path....

Just take a look at that movement. Free flowing quick counter attacking football and it was not just about the movement but about letting the ball do the running too. IT WAS ABOUT THE QUICK PASSING EXCHANGES.

Mikel don't have to run much during a counter attack... All he needs to do is quickly release the ball into the Path OR feet of his younger attacking team mates like Iwobi, Moses, Nacho etc... Mikel is the orchestrator and for him, his role in this team's attacking style is not about his running but about his quick creative passing.

Another example is his quick creative pass to Ighalo to set him on the run for that first goal against Cameroun. Mikel didn't even have to turn and look at Ighalo. He already knew where he was. That is the quickness and speed I speak of. Speed in his brains and not in his feet.

Mikel's genius is key in this system and he has been at the center of it all when Nigeria blew teams away with the system so why semd him to the DM role? undecided Why send our most intelligent and most creative midfield genius to the DM role? Unless you want him to operate as a regista akin to Pirlo? A deep-lying playmaker with a box-to-box partner and then with another partner in the CM role? Well unless that, biko hapu Mikel as the team's CAM... Having him there makes our attacking third delightful to watch and even more fearsome to contain.

My brother, I wonder how some people analyse football here.

Mikel's best position for Nigeria is that AM.

You are very right! Mikel does not need to make any runs, he just lays the ball and the younger players run with it.

Make Mikel a DM and as some say make Moses a RB?It means we want to clip the wings of the Eagles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:32pm On Feb 28, 2018
edi287:

Wanda is a hoe. Plain and simple.

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2018
Icon4s:

My brother, I wonder how some people analyse football here.

Mikel's best position for Nigeria is that AM.

You are very right! Mikel does not need to make any runs, he just lays the ball and the younger players run with it.

Make Mikel a DM and as some say make Moses a RB?It means we want to clip the wings of the Eagles.

So Mikel will b playing with crushes abi cos u don't want him to run angry grin grin,na play o,but sincerely Mikel is too lazy playing in DMF for Nigeria,let him maintain his AMF
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2018
somehow:
You mean these 2 guys played alone against 11 men opponents and won?
read the last sentence,,they had overwhelming influence in their sides' winning the world cup at their times..probably the only players tagged winning world cup 'almost singlehandedly'.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
Icon4s:

As how?

Anything wrong if he asks why Alampasu is left out?
Don't mind joebie,may be he is high on something when posting such ridiculous and laughable comment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:00pm On Feb 28, 2018
maidaboi:
Please who knows the exact date which this match take place INDIA 99 - 1 NIGERIA ?
That match happens every year in the imagination of almost all growing kids in Nigeria. Our number one football urban legend.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:02pm On Feb 28, 2018
Joebie:
Rohr is now being unfair to Alampasu. KOG45 u are beginning to talk like forgiveness o. U of all people lol

Modified

Ehen thanks for the modification hahaha
How does forgiveness talk?

If i may ask are you saying it's good to send trainer to Maduka and leave Alampasu out,on what criteria.

Good that Rohr has finally come out to make it cleared that all his five keepers will have trainer attached to them.

But i hate it when people read meaning to a very clear and simple comment.

I think am one of the moniker including goldfish80 and icon4s who always question Alampasu inclusion in the team and i remember Thegoodjoe always defend Alampasu.

But when truth need to be told we must say it without fear cos attaching trainer to Uzoho and Maduka alone is unfair to other keepers and it can cause acrimony in the team,thank God Rohr has made a bold statement towards the issue.

Pls how does i sound like forgiveness or how does forgiveness talk,pls i want to know.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Like Elder Sir Kog45 said..... prayers won't be enough. Joel must do what is required to bench anyone at all.
Now I know Joel is a quality player. A true super talent... But he must do enough to show he is in form and prove his fitness too.

I want Joel so badly.... But Elder Kog45 knows why he said what he said and I get him. LET THEM ALL WORK FOR IT because na only Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi be sure bets for that midfield for Russia. The other spots are up for grabs.

you're spot on bro....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
andrew444:

Analyze is a general thing entirely for all football fans,but for someone to say rohr rate this and that just because he like that player

As long as the person backs his opinion with factors of events around it, he is within his rights. No one here is an authority except those with inside knowledge to the happenings in camp. The rest are opinions. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
Kog45:
How does forgiveness talk?

If i may ask are you saying it's good to send trainer to Maduka and leave Alampasu out,on what criteria.

Good that Rohr has finally come out to make it cleared that all his five keepers will have trainer attached to them.

But i hate it when people read meaning to a very clear and simple comment.

I think am one of the moniker including goldfish80 and icon4s who always question Alampasu inclusion in the team and i remember Thegoodjoe always defend Alampasu.

But when truth need to be told we must say it without fear cos attaching trainer to Uzoho and Maduka alone is unfair to other keepers and it can cause acrimony in the team,thank God Rohr has made a bold statement towards the issue.

Pls how does i sound like forgiveness or how does forgiveness talk,pls i want to know.....

I would rather take an inactive Enyeama to the WC than an inactive Alampasu.

A young keeper of Alampasu's age should be getting games, making mistakes and learning from them. That is how we grow. He should have pushed for a loan deal instead of this inactivity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
Oasis007:

Honestly I would have suggested Mikel to play as a DM, perhaps deep-lying Playmaker at the Mundial, but I'm scared of being roasted alive....LOL!

Ndidi can't thrive as a B2B Midfielder at the moment. His style of Play makes him a Destroyer not an Ochestrator. Joel Obi is simply the best we've got for the Role for now. He's mobile, skillful and decisive.
Anything is possible. Even playing Mikel as a deep lying midfielder in the mould of Pirlo might be a tactical masterstroke . Not necessarily at the beginning of the game. Perhaps tactical switches in the course of the game. It might even protect Mikel. Like having an agent go underground to do damage.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:23pm On Feb 28, 2018
Daejoyoung:

football then was different, attackers dribbled defenders easily on a more consistent basis.
Defenders were more brutal then. Watch Maradona vs Brazil in Italia 90 qtr finals. Defenders took out Van Basten and he had to retire at the early age of 27. Roberto Baggio was constantly injured by the rugged defenders in the Serie A. What about Andoni Goikoetxea Olaskoaga of Athletic Bilbao also known as the 'Butcher of Bilbao' a player who nearly ended Maradona's career with a career threatening injury. Football was very physical then but perhaps slower. Today the pace has been ramped up such that players are athletes but more protection is afforded to attackers now than in previous times.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:25pm On Feb 28, 2018
asha80:
1962 yes but 1986 no..defenders of the 80s and 90s are slower than defenders of now but they were more rugged and ruthless and fifa rules now protected top strikers and midfielders LESS then than now
I didn't even read you before I wrote the above but you just expressed what I thought

(1) (2) (3) ... (2913) (2914) (2915) (2916) (2917) (2918) (2919) ... (16405) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chuks404

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.