Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,138 members, 7,890,845 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:46 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12083056 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3210) (3211) (3212) (3213) (3214) (3215) (3216) ... (16439) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:24am On Mar 28, 2018
Goke7:

This is the problem, some folks think we still have the time to try new players. If anyone observes, rohr keeps using the core of his team for the friendlies with just one or two new injections. The man Sef no get time for too much experiment. The world cup is here already
let them keep throwing around names that will make the 30-man list.

When World Cup comes, Rohr will carry his usual boys and go to Russia.

Abeg o, did Echiejile play in any of these friendlies, abi dem just use the guy for training?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:24am On Mar 28, 2018
The biggest mistake Rohr made that totally shattered the team was removing Victor Moses in that game. His his skillful threats and darting runs made the Serbians lose confidence and it unsettle them. It also pushed them backward to concentrate more on defending rather than come out to attack.
Rohr shouldn't have tried that at all. I know its a friendly but his presence on the pitch gives other players a lot if confidence and coordination.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:24am On Mar 28, 2018
Goke7:

We went beyond the group stage, the last was in 98 with the olisehs and okochas. Martins and co could not get us beyond group stage
Yakubu was first choice at 2010, not Martins. Martins came on as a sub against Korea.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:28am On Mar 28, 2018
safarigirl:
let them keep throwing around names that will make the 30-man list.

When World Cup comes, Rohr will carry his usual boys and go to Russia.

Abeg o, did Echiejile play in any of these friendlies, abi dem just use the guy for training?
Echiejile is still a back up like omeruo I think. We don't really have a natural LB so the guy may still be relevant
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:29am On Mar 28, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
The biggest mistake Rohr made that totally shattered the team was removing Victor Moses in that game. His his skillful threats and darting runs made the Serbians lose confidence and it unsettle them. It also pushed them backward to concentrate more on defending rather than come out to attack.
Rohr shouldn't have tried that at all. I know its a friendly but his presence on the pitch gives other players a lot if confidence and coordination.
Rohr am sure has learnt his lesson so where do we classify those who believe moses is selfish as a player. The answer we all know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:30am On Mar 28, 2018
Goke7:

Echiejile is still a back up like omeruo I think. We don't really have a natural LB so the guy may still be relevant
at least Omeruo gets to play. What did Echiejile do?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:31am On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Group stage is your definition of performance?

Mikel Obi failed to qualify us one 3 occasions but later came back to redeem himself with a AFCON trophy and later took us to the so called second round. Why? Because he was still given the chance to prove himself. Chikena

Did keshi not give martins a chance?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:32am On Mar 28, 2018
darkelf:

A sports analyst once said Rohr's major problem is sticking to known failures (either in tactics or personnel selection). At the time, I thought the statement was ludicrous but now, it seems the man has a point.
It baffles me how Rohr hasn't realized that Iwobi is mean for a more central position like AM or SS. He should stop using Iwobi on the wings!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:35am On Mar 28, 2018
Martz101:

just listen to your self, last time you people claimed he was not allow to attack, now he was allow to go forward you claim his not an AM

internet coaches

Me? I never agreed for one day here that Joel Obi is an AMF or can play there. If you have evidence, pls show me where I saw he was not allowed to attack.

That is false. If you don't know, pls don't accuse falsely.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:36am On Mar 28, 2018
safarigirl:
at least Omeruo gets to play. What did Echiejile do?

What if Idowu gets injured? Who will play that role? We know ebuehi is a back up for Shehu and both omeruo or awazie can be back ups for Balogun and ekong but for that LB no one. Don't even mention Aina. His supporters have finally concluded he is better as a RB to defend his dismal outing against Algeria and Argentina. So echiejile remains relevant.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:38am On Mar 28, 2018
You're smarter than this, for you not to know an assumption from a question is baffling. quote where i said Spain will beat us 10:0
safarigirl:
what baffles me on NL is that you people will make assumptions first, then, when someone turns it on you, you will say it doesn't count.

Is it not you that claimed that because common Serbia won us 2-0, Spain will win us 10-0? Was that not you making assumptions? Now, you want to tank the same thing you did

If I am wrong, you are wrong as well. Spain cannot win us 10-0, so, no need to even assume the possibility

Before making a statement, reason it the other way around, lest you contradict yourself unwittingly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 11:38am On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Your head dey dere.

However, Joel Obi is not an AMF. He played as a CMF and LM and he has shown he is better than John Ogu.

why are you guys like this, John Ogu so far has been better than Joel obi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:38am On Mar 28, 2018
kennysville:
Friends, countrymen, Nairalanders....
(Yes its been a while yall read that)

First of all, its a good thing that we lost the match so we dont have false expectations of our boys. To those who wanted the loss, yall got your wishes. To those who didnt want us to lose, well its part of the game.

Correct me folks if I am wrong, but we all knew we didnt have a creative midfielder outside of Mikel for almost 2years now. What exactly was done about it? We started looking for makeshift players to mould into creative midfielders. We knew that Alex Iwobi thrives more in the middle of the park than on the wings, yet we still kept making the same Wenger-ish mistakes. Of course I can understand he adds more attacking threat but the dude's natural forte is the Middle. If he had been encouraged more along this line, its possible we would be having a good midfield- Attack link up.

We also had Azubuike Okechukwu who in my opinion is one of the best creative midfielders we have but simply because he plays for one lowly rated team in turkey, we turned the other way. This dude was instrumental to the Gold we won at U23 Afcon, and the Bronze at the olympics. My assessment of our coach is that he is willing to take the risk of sticking with Mikel Obi as the only natural creative midfielder and hope he doesnt get injured. Pray tell folks, what happens if he gets knocked say in training? Then game plan gets disrupted abi? Then we get to run like headless chickens all over with no clear cut cerebral input geared towards attack. It is now evident to the whole world that without Mikel, our brand of footbal is gra gra and frankly at the world cup, they will exploit that promptly. Unfortunately at this time, it is too late to experiment with any new creative midfielder at this stage because we have to worry about them blending in for the team chemistry.
As someone rightly said, we should just continue with the set of players that got us qualified so as not to look disjointed. And perhaps, hope for the best from that.

My assessment of yesterday's game is that Rohr's game plan for the match was disrupted by the fact that Balogun failed last minute fitness test as well the reported fracture of Kelechi Iheanacho. He resorted to playing musa as a 9 and we got what we got. This tells me that he needs to work on having equally potent replacements for each of the positions.

Talking about Ebuehi and Idowu, i realize they are better suited for attack minded formations. This implies that when we wanna be bullish, Shehu is our man, but whe we wanna attack and keep an all out attack, we need these two boys ( Idowu and Ebuehi) hence the need to really perfect 3-5-2 and really sharpen it , primed for attack!

Our passing needs a lot of work. It is not nice to see us lose possession after 3 passes. Our forwards need to work together in that if a player is in a better positiin to score, then they shd pass to him instead of seeking personal glory (I dont wanna mention names). I dont have a problem with yesterday's team selection. What i have a problem with is the aim or objectives the coach set out to achieve. Was it to sit back and soak up pressure from the Serbs and then hit them on counter? If that was the case, then it was poorly executed

I believe in our team a lot. It just takes right tactics, right personels and executions for us to be able to win. It hurts that we are in the situation we are. I have said this before and I will still say it again, I wouldnt worry about our goal keeping "crises". It is the least of our worries right now. If our team is set up to always keep possession, you will find out that all our goalies will do will just be Goal kicks and routine clearances. In other words, there are things worse than goal keeper problems. Let us get our midfield and attack sharp. End of discussion!

Up Super Eagles

Azuibike is not an AMF. He is a CMF or DMF. So, he can't add anything to the creativity of the team. Thanks

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:39am On Mar 28, 2018
And so far so good, we don't have a potent bench attack wise. what happens when we lose the likes of Mikel, Moses and Iheanacho attack wise?

Or we lose Balogun, Shehu, Effong defense wise?
Goke7:

The coach already knows his starting 11 for the world cup games, simple

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:40am On Mar 28, 2018
darkelf:

Abi. Even on the radio today, all people kept saying was "when Mikel comes back...bla bla bla...if Mikel was there......bla bla bla"

Mikel won't defend for you or score twenty goals a game. He's not even known to score so much goals.

Haba
But his presence alone brings goals. Doesn't that alone imply to you how essential Mikel is to this team?
Its not just about scoring goals, my brother. We have forwards that can score goals but no creativity and coordination from the midfield!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:40am On Mar 28, 2018
somehow:
I thought Rohr would use him as an AM to see what he can offer in the absence of Mikel, we have enough DMs already, why is Rohr rigid na, use the guy as AM and see if he can handle that position.

Rohr just wasted 2 friendlies solving no problem!

I didn't see that. I will have to see the match again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Teekim: 11:40am On Mar 28, 2018
safarigirl:
Onyekuru is not a Top 9, this has been extensively discussed on this thread already. Playing him there will have similar effects to playing Iheanacho there

Which Ighalo should they try again? Has he not been over tried in that position?

Martins? So that he will waste our time the way Joel wasted our time, abi?
Friendlies are to test players. Look for the best you have & test them if they can perform in the GWG... It is not a waste of time.

Or do you want the team to keep runing around without shots at goal.

We conceded 4goals in two friendlies though 2 were cancelled & we score only 1.

What will happen when the competition starts proper. Let's keep emotional sentiments aside & give the best players equal opportunities.

N/B: Not all players, THE BEST PLAYERS equal opportunities to prove themselves.

Up Super Eagles

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:41am On Mar 28, 2018
somehow:
I thought Rohr would use him as an AM to see what he can offer in the absence of Mikel, we have enough DMs already, why is Rohr rigid na, use the guy as AM and see if he can handle that position.

Rohr just wasted 2 friendlies solving no problem!

Exactly, Rohr wasted 2 friendlies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:41am On Mar 28, 2018
somehow:
And so far so good, we don't have a potent bench attack wise. what happens when we lose the likes of Mikel, Moses and Iheanacho attack wise?

Or we lose Balogun, Shehu, Effong defense wise?

And do we have players we can bring from planet mars to solve this problem. Don't think so. Let's hope for the best
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:44am On Mar 28, 2018
darkelf:

A sports analyst once said Rohr's major problem is sticking to known failures (either in tactics or personnel selection). At the time, I thought the statement was ludicrous but now, it seems the man has a point.

Hmmmmm! I quite agree to some extent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:47am On Mar 28, 2018
ChrisKels:
Lol elyte89 mibros did u see ur man striking for us yesterday. He couldn't even manage a single shot on goal, not even an off target shot grin

Musa the headless chicken was a minus one

Na yeye Musa b,I don't knw y oda peeps are quiet abt his performance yday,so ABYSMAL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:47am On Mar 28, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
But you are one of those people that were claiming the guy can shoulder the creative responsibilities with his AM potentials.

I never at any point in time claimed so. Ask Joebie. We argued about it.

He was the one that said so. cheesy

I only said, he will add quality to the team which he did.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:49am On Mar 28, 2018
stanbillion200:
Take it or leave it, the following players do not have any business in the Super Eagles. They are as follows; Joel Obi, Ahmed Musa, Uche Agbo Henry,Chidozie Awaziem. They are to be replaced by Sone Aluko, Henry Onyekuru, Brown Ideye and Efe Ambrose respectively.
You're 100% spot on my brother.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:51am On Mar 28, 2018
komekn:

Mostly agree with you with some exceptions.

But you do not proffer any solutions.

KC is not a bonafide No 9, he can not play as a lone striker. That's a handicap, it's not part of his skill set to bully defenders, he doesn't have blistering pace or technical wizardry, finishing a resounding big YES. But without support he can be anonymous.

Iwobi lacks maturity, skill upon skill without doubt but end product in the final third very suspect.

Ekong and Balogun the best CB combination we have.

Aina is yet to play a complete game or half he hasn't been tested properly. So can we truly talk about his qualities.

We watched a Championship striker Mitrovic give our defenders a terrible time. Awaziem found out. There will be strikers in the World Cup that will be much better and more physical.

The team needs strength in depth.

The core of the current squad is good but they need 4/5 quality tried and tested additions. This will give us a fighting chance.

The world cup is not a sprint it's a marathon. You need to have capable replacement in every department. We shouldn't be looking at youth potential but players who are delivering for thier clubs consistently.

Dressers could even be an option Ideye, an additional striker is essential as well as Am.

We want to at least get past group stage anything less is not good enough.

Bros, you are spot on. Keep up the good works. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Teekim: 11:52am On Mar 28, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
What is Rohr's deal? A blind man can see that Iwobi must always be Mikel's replacement but yet he keeps the boy on the wings and plays god knows who there.
Oh Yes... Iwobi can be Mikels replacement. Rohr should do the needful johr

I love this thread

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 11:52am On Mar 28, 2018
Goke7:

With okocha Denmark still nack us 4-1 nah
I dey tell you, any team can beat you even with messi and ronaldo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:53am On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Exactly, Rohr wasted 2 friendlies.

He did no such thing. We learned a lot of things that we can take away from those friendlies both good and bad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:53am On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Joel Obi is not an AMF. Rohr should take note.
An AM is what we need so he's not really needed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:53am On Mar 28, 2018
andrew444:

Mr Forgiveness As usual from you,Always crying like a sheep for yoruba players to be invited,Who is talking about the trophies martins has won in europe? Did martins win champions league or europa league? Matrins is a great player No doubt,talk about individual performance than talking about trophies,that shows you have no clue in anything you are saying.

[b]Who is martins better than in super eagles at the moment [/b]or your so called Ajagun? Na only yourba players you dey see ooo,Your eye blind to see others players,even your aluko who is he better than?

Martins is world class during his time and his time is past,I am very sure if yakubu aiyegbeni has not retired from football you will call for Yakubu.

Mr Forgivness your matter tire people for this thread,Abeg make we hear word

Statistically speaking present and continuous and on current form. He is better than KC and Ighalo. Or will you will say Ajayi is better than him

In the same vein will you say Defoe, Klos, Ronaldo C., Robben, D.Alves, Iniesta, Mascherano, Llorente, Antonio Valencia, etc, etc using your yard stick and
according to you thier time is past.

Outside of Mikel Obi nobody in the current set up is as technically astute and skillful as Aluko. Voted best midfielder in the Championship last season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 11:55am On Mar 28, 2018
somehow:
Is Serbia a WC team? lets stay within context.

Serbia has a very good sqaud, way better than ours
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:55am On Mar 28, 2018
andrew444:

No mind them....Martins and aluko is not better than any player in super eagles right now,Martins has past his best

Aluko voted best midfielder in the Championship last season.

Obagoal has better statistics than both KC and Ighalo.

So how do you determine best what you did 2 years ago.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:58am On Mar 28, 2018
Yesterday, yes but overall No. except you're talking about the inputs of both coaches in general.
Martz101:

Serbia has a very good sqaud, way better than ours

(1) (2) (3) ... (3210) (3211) (3212) (3213) (3214) (3215) (3216) ... (16439) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.