Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,159 members, 7,890,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:19 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12083532 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3213) (3214) (3215) (3216) (3217) (3218) (3219) ... (16440) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
;DYes, Rohr should stick to his team. But our LB position is not sorted out yet. I think we need Taye Taiwo and Ike Uche.
;DYes, Rohr should stick to his team. But our LB position is not sorted out yet. I think we need Taye Taiwo and Ike Uche.
hehehehe...

Make una stop this kind play o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2018
fucklikant101:

angry

Am just been sacarstic to drive home the point that if martins and aluko are doing well in their clubs to deserve an invitation, then akpeyi should not be discarded too cos he does pretty well for his club too

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2018
somehow:
They are common to me and football is logic. it's science and has gone beyond emotion. you can beat the best on paper if you have a better scientific approach to the match. a pack of sheep led by a lion can defeat the reverse.

We have seen countries/clubs with less quality players winning tournaments and they aren't one off, this happen yearly all over the world. so there is nothing uncommon here.

Football is not illogical if you say it's not logic.

you are just contradicting your self, I said foot ball is not logic and you said is logic, maybe you don't know the meaning of logic, if Morocco can beat Serbia 2-1 And we lost to Serbia 2-0... that means we will lose to Morocco 3-0 or 4-1.

every game is different, so many factors can affect a game, Germany defeating Brazil at maracana defeat logic, always argue with direction my dear friend, and don't forget Serbia team is not common

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 2:03pm On Mar 28, 2018
Mujtahida:

So you will now stop trying out players especially in a friendly that is still at least three months to the WC because according to you Obi was a flop, Agbo shouldn't be tested? Cos that in essence is what you are saying. Still having your eyes fixed on the first eleven. Look beyond the first eleven and things will sink into your mind.

We have our bench already bruv, the coach already has his back ups for each position in that team except you are not observant enough
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:09pm On Mar 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Listen up... When next you quote me. Never address me with the bolded aiit. Coz if I do same to you, you will cry foul.

And I addressed a simple comment you made. You said Mikel's influence in this current team is not up to Okocha's in his own time. And I simply gave you an instance to show his influence.

The cult figure Okocha was in Hus days as the team's boss is exactly the same as Mikel's today. Even at the Olympics we saw it in another dimension. So what are you even saying? As if We never lost games too with Okocha.

Okocha in 1994 was benched too Mister. Go figure. He was not the overriding factor or among the top three super class factors in that nations Cup win.

But Mikel in 2013 was lord of that Nigerian side. #Fact

You see what I'm saying, your argument is like Musa sometimes, running past the ball, I said Okocha was even more influential but we still lost games with him, why are you reminding me what I told you earlier.

Even Rohr confirm that you can't compare Mikel influence to game like Okocha and kanu, and we still lost games, why then should we blame Mikel absent for our lost games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 2:10pm On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

Odion Ighalo had shots on goal.

Na musa boss chriskels dey talk abt
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fucklikant101(m): 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

That's a good one. grin

But Ogbuke? grin

Mr forgiveness the woman beater cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2018
Mujtahida:

In this instance there is no double standard. We are not measuring accurately if you want to use the performance of Shehu in matches he was fully fit to compare with Ebuehi in a match Ebuehi was not fully fit. Drawing your attention to that has now become double standard? How? Tbaba1234 calls it false equivalency.

Compare a fit Shehu with a fit Ebuehi. Whoever comes on top takes the spot. Not that for the sake of critiquing the boy you totally overlook his fitness issues. That's why I said that one can say he underperformed but if that person ignores his fitness issues then I don't think that's balanced criticism.

If the boy was fully fit and his performance was below par then you can talk of double standards. You are still overlooking a crucial point which is that he lacked full fitness. Yes, He played for 90 minutes. How does that change the fact that he lacked full fitness? Who would have subbed him? Shehu who had injury? Aina who was already subbed for Idowu? I like looking at things from broad angles.

This can easily be misread as defence of the young man but to close one's eyes to the glaring fact that he was not fully fit is to level criticism that - in my opinion - is unfair.

He didn't play well. He was not fully fit. That is balanced criticism in the context of the match.
OK sir accepted he was not fit,hope to see fit Ebuehi again then we talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:18pm On Mar 28, 2018
Your shades are as weak as your dollopheadedness... So you still insisted on being such an ass right? cheesy Well congratulations then dollophead.

And your statement was so ambiguous because you didn't even construct it well enough. In a rush to pass a point, you dropped ambiguity and expect me to clean up your mess of a comment. How shallow. Next time, be more explicit instead of hiding behind your ambiguity.

Now listen again... Your question @second bolded shows you are so ignorant about what this team's major problem is. We don't f**king create enough chances in the absence of Mikel Obi. And when you don't create... You can lose games. Tu comprends?

Just look at your funny question... Does it not reek of gross ignorance for you to ask why Mikel's absence is also part of why we lost? Smh.... Some monikers here are really lost.

Martz101:

You see what I'm saying, your argument is like Musa sometimes, running past the ball, I said Okocha was even more influential but we still lost games with him, why are you reminding me what I told you earlier.

Even Rohr confirm that you can't compare Mikel influence to game like Okocha and kanu, and we still lost games, why then should we blame Mikel absent for our lost games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:21pm On Mar 28, 2018
jerryclinton:
There's no need beating about the bush. This is the players that will be selected as our world Cup team:
1. Uzoho
2.Ezenwa
3. Akpeyi
4. Shehu
5. Ola Aina
6. Ebuehi
7. Idowu
8. Echiejile
9. Balogun
10. Ekong
11. Omeruo
12. Ndidi
13. Mikel
14. Etebo
15. Onazi
16. Ogu
17. Iwobi
18. Iheanacho
19. V. moses
20. Ighalo
21. Musa
22. Onyekuru
23. S. Moses.

we can't go to a tournament Iike WC with 3CB even with the fact that we might try our 3-5-2 formation, Awasiem will be in Russia, his Rohr 3rd choice even though I know Omeruo is better, Awasiem will come in for Aina or Echiejile.

Onyekuru spot could be taken by anybody which include him, though I will love to see the tall guy in Holland

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:25pm On Mar 28, 2018
somehow:
My bad, i thought they didn't qualify, i apologize for that.

Meaning if we meet them in the WC proper, we might still get beaten?

My guy football is not mathematics, we might whoop them if we get to meet them in world cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:30pm On Mar 28, 2018
Mujtahida:

In this instance there is no double standard. We are not measuring accurately if you want to use the performance of Shehu in matches he was fully fit to compare with Ebuehi in a match Ebuehi was not fully fit. Drawing your attention to that has now become double standard? How? Tbaba1234 calls it false equivalency.

Compare a fit Shehu with a fit Ebuehi. Whoever comes on top takes the spot. Not that for the sake of critiquing the boy you totally overlook his fitness issues. That's why I said that one can say he underperformed but if that person ignores his fitness issues then I don't think that's balanced criticism.

If the boy was fully fit and his performance was below par then you can talk of double standards. You are still overlooking a crucial point which is that he lacked full fitness. Yes, He played for 90 minutes. How does that change the fact that he lacked full fitness? Who would have subbed him? Shehu who had injury? Aina who was already subbed for Idowu? I like looking at things from broad angles.

This can easily be misread as defence of the young man but to close one's eyes to the glaring fact that he was not fully fit is to level criticism that - in my opinion - is unfair.

He didn't play well. He was not fully fit. That is balanced criticism in the context of the match.

Are you super eagles team doctor, Ebuehi was passed fit for the Poland game and even played for 20 min or so, you all including me praised him for doing things Shehu was not doing, we all clamour for Rohr to give him more chance, the chance came and you all are saying he was not fit

How about us making case for shehu, maybe he was not 100% fit too that's why he could not complete the game and was struggling with the pace of the game. nobody is a sacred cow

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:31pm On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

I was talking about Musa though him and Ighalo na the same.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2018
Uzoho Is Not The Reason Why We Lost – Rohr Reveals Why Eagles Lost To Serbia

Francis Odinaka Uzoho is not to be blamed for the 0-2 defeat Nigeria suffered in the hands of Serbia yesterday in a pre World Cup friendly game according to coach of the Nigerian team Gernot Rohr.
Many Nigerians blamed the young stopper after the loss, with many even suggesting that he isn’t quite ready to make the step up as the number one of the team ahead of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who was first choice before the latest round of games.

Although Rohr admitted that Uzoho wasn’t at his best as he is still learning his trade. The Franco-German coach however refused to blame him for any of the goals conceded as well as the loss, which came four days after Nigeria defeated Poland 1-0 in another friendly game.

” We don’t blame any individual over our loss. As a team we are collectively responsible for whatever result we get. Win, lose or draw. Serbia did very well to win the game. Congratulations to them”, Rohr said after the game.

” There are areas we need to work on in our team, and we have seen them over the two games. Hopefully we will have them sorted our before we play in the World Cup later in the year. You expect to see mistakes in friendly games, and make corrections in competitive games”.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/03/28/uzoho-is-not-the-reason-why-we-lost-rohr-reveals-why-eagles-lost-to-serbia/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 78 days 1 hour 25 mins to go

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2018
Folks, the toughest job in the whole wide world is being the Nigerian Super Eagles coach …. because when it comes to soccer, every Nigerian is a coach and they all think that they can do a better job than the man who’s being paid to do the job. Just a few days ago, Gernot Rohr was the best thing to ever happen to Naija footie. Here’s the fact, our team hasn’t played well because they are trying out new formations and tactics coupled with new players. That’s what friendly matches are for. I am actually glad that we lost the game yesterday because it would serve as a wakeup call to the coaching crew and the players. If we keep wobbling and fumbling to victories like we did against Poland, that might masked the team’s deficiencies and give the players a false sense of hope. So I am happy that we lost … better to lose now and fix our errors than to lose in Russia.

Having said that, the players did perform as poorly as most of the commentators on here would have you believe; but I have only watched the first 60 mins of the game mind you because had to go to bed last night. They played poorly as a team but individually they gave it their best. The passes were poor because there was no penetration and off the ball movements especially in the midfield. Mikel probably wouldn’t have made much difference yesterday even if he had played. The good news is, Rohr would have about 3 weeks before the world cup to camp the team and perfect team cohesion. And in addition, unlike most other countries, we still have 3 friendly matches to go before the world cup, that would give the technical crew additional opportunities to work on our weaknesses.

All in all, below is how I rate the players last night:

Francis Uzoho
Hard to make judgement on whether he advanced his World Cup claims as to be our starting goalkeeper in Russia, but he had a decent game. I only saw the first goal and I wouldn’t blame him for that at all but he also committed some obvious errors that didn’t result in a goal. All in all, I saw good reflexes but still lack some badly needed experience. How I wish he could get game time at his club.

Tyronne Ebuehi
A threat going forward and made a good case for himself on his two international debuts, but he was obviously not 100% fit for yesterday’s game which impacted his pace and reactions. All in all, I would still rate him over Shehu especially against non-African teams.

Chidozie Awaziem
Looked assured and solid on occasions; with a few understandable nervous moments. But the real disappointment is that he isn’t playing to his potential yet; he definitely has the skills to do much better than he has done so far. I think he’s not a threat to either Balogun or Troost for the starting role, but he’s definitely going to Russia as a backup.

Troost Ekong
Solid performance, as usual. He has definitely cemented the center back position for himself. Still prone to errant and erratic passes from the back tho … somebody ought to teach him how to boot the ball instead of trying to pass out from the back. Or else, he may get us into serious trouble in Russia.

Brian Idowu
Solid and unspectacular. His workratet is commendable. He doesn’t have the flair and the frills to wow you but he still gets the job done. I will rate him over Elderson Echiejile any day!

Eddy Onazi
Had a decent game and worked extremely hard for the team. Had one of his best performances for the Super Eagles in recent times. I think he felt the Joel Obi’s threat.

Wilfred Ndidi - MAN OF THE MATCH
Energic. Pace, skill and direct running troubled Serbia all night. I think he cemented the CM role last night

Victor Moses
Our most talented player without a doubt but still guilty of dribbling and holding onto the ball too long; if Rohr could get him to cut the crap then we’ll have a game changer.

Joel Obi
Please ignore all the craps you’ve been reading here since yesterday. Joel Obi gave a good account of himself. AMF isn’t his favorite position but he still acquainted himself well. However, he was guilty of trying to do too much and ran himself ragged. He definitely belongs on the plane to Russia and I may even start him ahead of Onazi. I consider him a more refined player than Onazi.

Alex Iwobi
Another great player who’s guilty of occasional dillydallying with the ball when he can keep it simple. Just like VicMo, he doesn’t play that way at his football club so there’s no way we should allow him that freedom in Super Eagles. Rohr needs to lay down the rules here!

Ahmed Musa
His pace makes him a serious danger to Serbia all night but, as usual, with no end product. All in all, I am still uncertain of his role at the World Cup.

Odion Ighalo
I have always wondered why Rohr prefers Ighalo as our starting center forward and yesterday I realized why. It's very clear the striker Rohr trusts most is Odion Ighalo because of the all-round game he brings, his willingness to sacrifice himself for the team. He works so hard that when he does get a chance on goal, he's too tired and misses it. Personally, I still prefer Kelechi as our starting center forward but I can definitely understand why Rohr thinks otherwise.

O pari

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2018
Haha!! I am actually happy that they got trashed yesterday. That may convince Sampoali that he needs to select his best team for the World Cup - including Dybala and Icardi. I don't know what's wrong with the Argies .... they tend to always self destruct shocked

O pari

Danielnino00:
Is this the Argentina team oga icon79 is backing to win the world cup for his idol Messi?

O pari grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:40pm On Mar 28, 2018
Celestine Babayaro Rates Awaziem Ahead Of Ekong In Super Eagles Loss To Serbia

Former Nigeria international defender Celestine Babayaro has given his take on the Super Eagles 0-2 loss to Serbia in yesterday’s friendly game played at Barnet’s Hive stadium in London.
The loss has drawn criticism from Nigerians who have faulted the central defence partnership of William Troost-Ekong and Chidozie Awaziem for the goals conceded by the Nigerian team.
Babayaro agreed that the defence didn’t help young goalkeeper Francis Odinaka Uzoho, he particularly faulted Ekong and his partner at the right side of Eagles defence Ebuehi for the goals conceded.

” The defence were all over the place in dealing with crosses into the box, and that gave Aleksandar Mitrovic the license to cause havoc. I think Ekong should share the lion part of the blame”, Babayaro who was at the stadium during the game told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” You see his main job is keeping Mitrovic quiet, but I can’t remember him winning any duel against the big man unlike Awaziem who made two timely intervention to stop Mitrovic. Ekong and the fair guy on the right of defence ( Ebuehi) didn’t have the best of game.

” Both goals conceded by Nigeria was from crosses whipped in from the left where the duo of Ekong and Ebuehi are stationed to stop crosses. Going forward they have learnt a very valuable lesson in defending and movement “, Babayaro concluded.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/03/28/celestine-babayaro-rates-awaziem-ahead-of-ekong-in-super-eagles-loss-to-serbia/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 78 days 1 hour 18 mins to go

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Your shades are as weak as your dollopheadedness... So you still insisted on being such an ass right? cheesy Well congratulations then dollophead.

And your statement was so ambiguous because you didn't even construct it well enough. In a rush to pass a point, you dropped ambiguity and expect me to clean up your mess of a comment. How shallow. Next time, be more explicit instead of hiding behind your ambiguity.

Now listen again... Your question @second bolded shows you are so ignorant about what this team's major problem is. We don't f**king create enough chances in the absence of Mikel Obi. And when you don't create... You can lose games. Tu comprends?

Just look at your funny question... Does it not reek of gross ignorance for you to ask why Mikel's absence is also part of why we lost? Smh.... Some monikers here are really lost.

I'm not actually here for English essay, I'm here to talk football, you can't hide your confusion behind your English lecture
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:50pm On Mar 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Uzoho Is Not The Reason Why We Lost – Rohr Reveals Why Eagles Lost To Serbia

Francis Odinaka Uzoho is not to be blamed for the 0-2 defeat Nigeria suffered in the hands of Serbia yesterday in a pre World Cup friendly game according to coach of the Nigerian team Gernot Rohr.
Many Nigerians blamed the young stopper after the loss, with many even suggesting that he isn’t quite ready to make the step up as the number one of the team ahead of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who was first choice before the latest round of games.

Although Rohr admitted that Uzoho wasn’t at his best as he is still learning his trade. The Franco-German coach however refused to blame him for any of the goals conceded as well as the loss, which came four days after Nigeria defeated Poland 1-0 in another friendly game.

” We don’t blame any individual over our loss. As a team we are collectively responsible for whatever result we get. Win, lose or draw. Serbia did very well to win the game. Congratulations to them”, Rohr said after the game.

” There are areas we need to work on in our team, and we have seen them over the two games. Hopefully we will have them sorted our before we play in the World Cup later in the year. You expect to see mistakes in friendly games, and make corrections in competitive games”.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/03/28/uzoho-is-not-the-reason-why-we-lost-rohr-reveals-why-eagles-lost-to-serbia/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 78 days 1 hour 25 mins to go
Good coach don't blame his players but work on the team for better performance.Kudos to Rohr.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:55pm On Mar 28, 2018
Nigeria 0-2 Serbia: Hot talking points

Gernot Rohr suffered only his second loss in 14 matches as Super Eagles coach when Nigeria went down 2-0 to Serbia in London on Tuesday.

Beyond the result, there was plenty to unpack in this unexpected capitulation, with the West Africans learning some tough lessons with the World Cup less than three months away.

Here are the hot talking points from Nigeria's Serbian setback as the Road to Russia continues.

Nigeria's passing must improve

It's hard to remember too many occasions against Serbia in which Nigeria managed to string more than three passes together.
Without captain John Mikel Obi for the second game in succession, the Nigerians looked like they had no concept of the basic fundamentals of a passing game.

Moves constantly broke down, especially under high pressing, because players appeared unable to pick out a teammate under pressure.

It's not just the player in possession who was to blame, with a lack of movement off the ball also limiting options.
We have seen this team pass the ball better, against African opposition and against Argentina, but without Mikel, they lacked cohesion and confidence with the ball at feet.

When his team gets back together in May, Rohr will have to fashion out a way to have his players keep possession better, move the ball better and create chances.

Rohr shows flexibility with tactical tweak

Tuesday's starting XI represented something of a surprise as Rohr diverted from his usual approach.
In his previous 13 games with Nigeria, the German tactician has always started with a leading big man flanked by wide forwards in what was essentially a 4-2-3-1.

That line-leading position has been played by Odion Ighalo, Kelechi Iheanacho and Anthony Nwakaeme.

Against Serbia, however, he chose to go with Ahmed Musa in that central position in a more traditional 4-3-3. It would seem to appear that the Nigeria coach wanted to see if he could exploit the somewhat slow Serbian defence with pace and a bit of guile.

Musa's pace did trouble Branislav Ivanovic and his partners, but the trouble was that in deploying Wilfred Ndidi as the most advanced midfielder, Rohr sacrificed a creative link to those forwards.

Perhaps Joel Obi would have been better served up there, even though he misplaced a slew of passes by trying to do too much.
Could have also have deployed Alex Iwobi in this role?
Rohr ultimately discarded the experiment after 45 minutes, replacing Victor Moses with Ighalo and reverting to type.

Iwobi can be Mikel 2.0

Iwobi may not have been detailed to play there, but the Arsenal man regularly nipped centrally, to orchestrate play. He skipped away from opposing players with fancy footwork, played combination balls and generally conducted proceedings.

The trouble was, he was not supposed to be there, and kept bumping into the hapless Wilfred Ndidi. It was an impressively exquisite performance of ability, skill...and ill-discipline.

Over two games, the Super Eagles suffered from not having a player with the authority to control the play, to stabilise the game and ease pressure under unrelenting attacks.

That player is usually Mikel. On Tuesday, Iwobi showed that while he does not have Mikel's calm maturity to stabilise the play - at least not yet - he does have the ability to dictate play.

His quick passing, close control, skilled getaways from tight marking and combination passing were not perfect, but they provided a glimpse into what is possible if he were to be employed in this role.

On Tuesday, he showed tactical indiscipline by drifting inside too often rather than stretching the play.
However, it's not impossible that Rohr might opt to use Iwobi inside and employ Moses Simon and Moses in wide areas to offer pace on the flanks.
Lack of success aside, Rohr's choices showed that the coach is actively exploring the possibility of surprising some of his opponents.

This certainly bodes well for the hopes of a multifunctional player like Joel Obi to gatecrash the Russia party.

Uzoho isn't yet ready

Francis Uzoho: Talented? Yes. Future prospect? Yes. Current first choice? Absolutely not!

The wonderkid is growing in stature, but as expected, Uzoho is nowhere near ready to be the Super Eagles' number one goalkeeper going into the World Cup.

After 225 minutes of football, the 19-year-old still looks like the inexperienced goalkeeper that he is.

He mistimed crosses, misjudged balls and for the second time in two games, showed butter fingers as he let an effort slip under him and over the goalline.

Fortunately, there was no goalline technology to rule the effort in.

One area he did excel in was shot-stopping. On the occasions when he faced down strikers one on one, Uzoho read the threat brilliantly and smothered efforts with panache and confidence.

It would appear Uzoho is heading to Russia with the Super Eagles, and while he deserves to make the trip, he'd be a clear weak link if he starts.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/blog-football-africa/story/3434536/nigeria-0-2-serbia-hot-talking-points?device=featurephone

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 78 days 1 hour 3 mins to go

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2018
But you can try to deny your dollopheaded-inspired ignorance and the ambiguity in your comment on Okocha-Mikel abi... cheesy

Asking why Mikel's absence is one of the reasons we lost.... you really are lost fella. Smh.. run along aiit.. and read the latest article I just posted to help school you before you make such ridiculous "faux pas" again.

Martz101:

I'm not actually here for English essay, I'm here to talk football, you can't hide your confusion behind your English lecture
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2018
grin

Rohr can't be stupid to play an unfit Player jez because it's a friendly Game. Also he won't be a Fool to play an unfit Player for 90mins while a fit Player is on the Bench!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:02pm On Mar 28, 2018
Martz101:

Pls Martz101 and TheSuperNerd let us be civic here and talk football.God bless you guys.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
But you can try to deny your dollopheaded-inspired ignorance and the ambiguity in your comment on Okocha-Mikel abi... cheesy

Asking why Mikel's absence is one of the reasons we lost.... you really are lost fella. Smh.. run along aiit.. and read the latest article I just posted to help school you before you make such ridiculous "faux pas" again.

Pls TheSuperNerd and Matz101 let's making it cool here.God bless you guys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:05pm On Mar 28, 2018
He decided to be such an ass and I am putting him in his sorry place. He addressed me rudely and I told him to not repeat that when next he quotes me because if I do same he will cry foul... but the dollophead proceeded to repeat his nonsense albeit in a weak shade... that really shows the dude was looking for trouble... and now he remembers he wanna talk football. How really silly of him. smiley

Kog45:
Pls Martz101 and The.SuperNerd let us be civic here and talk football.God bless you guys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 3:06pm On Mar 28, 2018
I am bewildered when guys keep saying Uzo is the weak link on the contrary as tall as the dude is he gets down so quickly faster than many shorter GKs.
The guy is clearly short on experience but he can only get the necessary experience by playing which he did in the last 2 games.
The only weakness I see in him is his timing of balls in flight from set pieces which he can easily work on.
The dude is quick off his feet and confident and I like his vocal attitude on the pitch.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2018
It is easy to see why Uzoho is being considered the weak link. It is really not a question of his talents or abilities... it is more a question of his "experience" wink

This is why most are still reserved when it comes to Uzoho.

oloriooko:
I am bewildered when guys keep saying Uzo is the weak link on the contrary as tall as the dude is he gets down so quickly faster than many shorter GKs.
The guy is clearly short on experience but he can only get the necessary experience by playing which he did in the last 2 games.
The only weakness I see in him is his timing of balls in flight from set pieces which he can easily work on.
The dude is quick off his feet and confident and I like his vocal attitude on the pitch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

I know your type E-warrior, introvert that believe the right place to vent their anger for been bullied all there life is on internet, My friend go out there, make friends and stop being a weak man

Back to football, Okocha influence to our national team can't be compared to Mikel and we still lose some games with him..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2018
Uzoho still lacks confidence.

One major highlight of his game when he first came into the picture was his ball distribution. But what these two games have shown is that without confidence, even that part of his game will suffer.

We saw him hurriedly kicking all backpasses without first trapping the ball and looking up. I really hope he is psyched up because if we keep gifting the opponent possession in the guise of clearing his line, one of such would come back to hurt us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:10pm On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

I mean, in terms of testing new players he brought to the team.

We all know with Rohr that it is one thing to get a call up and another to actually play.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:13pm On Mar 28, 2018
forgiveness:

He almost scored while on the ground but for a block

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:14pm On Mar 28, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Damn! Did you just say 80%?? Average? Our Super Eagles? Seriously waiting for that other person that will say it is true... What fallacy!!!

Chaaaiiiiii... Metallico!
My brother, its the bitter truth oo. Some of them are not even up to average.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3213) (3214) (3215) (3216) (3217) (3218) (3219) ... (16440) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Abusule007, 123jamessmith, damagnificentusb(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.