Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,200 members, 7,925,722 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 09:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12284075 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (16531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:15am On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:

I was a student of history, I know all about the assimilation policy of France.

Still, I don't regard the likes of Dembele as African in the football sense. That is why I added "as a footballer" in my original post.

If he cannot be nominated under CAF, he’s not an African footballer, he's just African

Being first generation British born Nigerian, my sensibilities make it difficult for me to narrow my definition to yours. Just because I did not have the privilege of being born in Nigerian Delta, Warri

But I be Warri I no go fit lie, I no deh carry last.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:17am On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Yara Yara be like.... **Oga Basco, U no see my name for dia? Na me deserve the plaudits naa**

Na wa to this Yara Yara o!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 11:18am On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:
he never mentioned either of those qualities, no reason to bring them up.

If I was pretty, I wouldn't be on NL arguing football with guys, I would be on Instagram, posting pictures and alluring shortsighted people smiley

some are beautiful just on the face

but I think you are beautiful in the right place............

the brain plus others cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:19am On Nov 23, 2016
Chaaiiiii... Safari and "witty" sarcasm...

Sir Clefstone... Welcome to Safarigirl's world. It's very fascinating and sapiosexually appealling.... And she's more than "just intelligence"... Believe me, I "know" smiley

safarigirl:

If I was pretty, I wouldn't be on NL arguing football with guys, I would be on Instagram, posting pictures and alluring shortsighted people smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:22am On Nov 23, 2016
komekn:

My sensibilities make it difficult for me to narrow my definition to yours because I did not have the privilege of being born in Nigerian Delta Warri.

But I be Warri I no go fit lie, I no deh carry last.

I was born in Lagos, spent my early childhood there and then the rest of my life has been spent in Abuja. I've only been to my father's place once when I was 8-years old and I don't even speak a lick of their brand of Igbo...but I'm still Igbo.

That's how Nigerians brand people, based on where your parents are from, not necessarily where you grew up.

Now, countries like the USA, Rwanda and co will brand you based on where you grew up, not where your parents are from, but where your birth certificate was drafted.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23am On Nov 23, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

The problem is the players, i keep saying that they don't play for Iheanacho. Pep would have kept playing the boy but the team fell apart and only God knows why. I think Pep saw that playing Iheanacho was affecting Kun's confidence and now he is just keeping him for when Kun is out injured.

Iheanacho got playing due to Aguero's suspension and Aguero's attitude when he played with an injury. Iheanacho is the Second Striker. He will get his time because there are enough games. What is most important is that he keeps improving.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:24am On Nov 23, 2016
EXCLUSIVE: List Of Three Relatively Unknown German Based Nigerian Players On Rohr’s Watchlist

Owngoalnigeria.com understands that three
German based Nigerian players are currently
under watch by coach of the Super Eagles of
Nigeria Gernot Rohr.

Rohr is keen on strengthening the depth of the
Super Eagles who are currently flying high in the World Cup 2018 qualifiers, where they hold a four point lead over Cameroun after picking maximum points from their first two games.

Top on the manager’s list is 23 year old forward
Osayamen Osawe who has five goals for Bundesliga 2 side Kaiserslautern in his first season at the club following his transfer in the summer from third division side Hallescher FC.

While most Nigerians are keen on having Kelvin
Akpoguma, Rohr according to sources close to
the coach is keeping a close watch on 19 year old 1860 Munich defender Felix Uduokhai, who has been earning rare reviews for 1860 Munich.

In his first season with the main team, he has
made four appearances with a goal to his name
from his position as a central defender for the
Munich side.

We exclusively gathered that 20 year old
Hannover midfielder of Nigerian heritage Noah-Joel Sarenren Bazee, who has two games under his belt for promotion chasing Hannover 96 (is also under consideration).

The three players will have their progress
monitored by the technical crew of the Super
Eagles in view of a call up to the senior national
team before the 2018 World Cup.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/23/exclusive-list-of-three-relatively-unknown-german-based-nigerian-players-on-rohrs-watchlist/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by clefstone(m): 11:27am On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:

hope we good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by clefstone(m): 11:28am On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
And you think I dont know that? smiley Even she knows that is the angle I'm coming from hence my use of the words "...Clefstone.... possibly finds you fascinating" wink

P.S: So you finally quoted me.... I told you to carry on man! Loooollll... **dont mind me...** smiley

are u a nerd in real life
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:28am On Nov 23, 2016
When I find myself in different football grounds and academies across England mainly and I meet African players. They don't consider themselves English but Naija.

I am always amazed particular down south how the dressing room is arranged according to race. You will not hear this in the public domain but this is the reality.

They are not jerking thier heads in uncoordinated frenzy to Justin Bieber. But are nodding thier heads in coordinated rhythm to Iyanya, Whizzy and Sarkodie and dancing Azonto and Kukere probably better than you can.

So don't call them English call them Naija were deh England, soon to return and represent thier Father land.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:32am On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

some are beautiful just on the face
but I think you are beautiful in the right place............

the brain plus others cheesy
Thanks dear smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:33am On Nov 23, 2016
I remember Osayemen didn't get much of a chance at Blackburn had to drop quite s few levels. Even played for Southport Conference side before going to Germany.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:36am On Nov 23, 2016
komekn:
When I find myself in different football grounds and academies across England mainly and I meet African players. They don't consider themselves English but Naija.

I am always amazed particular down south how the dressing room is arranged according to race. You will not hear this in the public domain but this is the reality.

They are not jerking thier heads in uncoordinated frenzy to Justin Bieber. But are nodding thier heads in coordinated rhythm to Iyanya, Whizzy and Sarkodie and dancing Azonto and Kukere probably better than you can.

So don't call them English call them Naija were deh England, soon to return and represent thier Father land.

Such people are not included in my list, people who have International football careers with European countries aren't as African as these people.

There is a reason why they attach their African nationalities to them, do you see people still refer to Dele as British-Nigerian? He's English to them.

Now, if you're not a footballer, then such rules don't apply to you, see the likes of John Boyega still carry the Nigerian tag before British.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:38am On Nov 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho got playing due to Aguero's suspension and Aguero's attitude when he played with an injury. Iheanacho is the Second Striker. He will get his time because there are enough games. What is most important is that he keeps improving.

That doesn't change the fact that they fell apart and didn't play for him. U didn't even address wat i said u just dropped ur regular statement.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:38am On Nov 23, 2016
Hmmm.... Didn't see this coming... sad

What am I gonna do now? **thinks**

Okay, fact is yes... I am a nerd but no... I'm not your typical everyday nerd. smiley

Understand that someone like me will most likely not even be noticed in a crowd. But online, through writings I have a voice that can be heard. smiley

So I understand why you asked. Dont be confused okay... Truth is when you meet me, you may probably be like, "What? This is the so-called Supernerd on NL Sports?? Mehn! I'm disappointed... He's too quiet and kinda boring!!!" Looollll

**hope we are on the same page** wink

clefstone:
are u a nerd in real life
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:39am On Nov 23, 2016
clefstone:
hope we good
yeah, we're cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 11:40am On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:

Thanks dear smiley

sports diva you de-listed me from your following list?
pls add it again

by the way how is abuja cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 11:42am On Nov 23, 2016
komekn:

Your definition of African is way too narrow of the thousands of African footballers that playe in Europe so until they play for thier national teams they are not African.

I know Nigerians that were born in Ajegunle who have become more European than the Europeans. Adopting all things white.

France had a historical policy of assimilation that brought Africans into the society. So the French national team is essentially an African team.

That will never happen in the UK African origin players are consistently over looked in preference for players with the right attitude (white)

I know children who are 2nd generation British Nigerian who speak Yoruba and Ibo and Warri pidgin to the core. And i know many of us who were born in Lagos and cannot speak one Nigerian language.

So who is more African?

Below a you tube video of PSG U19 team celebrating after the match. This will never happen in England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHDAGDINqyY

I thought I was watching an African team celebrate till a saw PSG lol

African extension grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:46am On Nov 23, 2016
FC Porto Super Eagles Invitee Awaziem Praises Leadership Qualities Of Chelsea Mikel – He Is Just Like Casillas

FC Porto teen sensation Chidozie Awaziem says
captain of the Nigeria senior national team John
Mikel Obi is similar to his FC Porto teammate, the
legendary Iker Casillas when it comes to
motivating young players.

Highly tipped to be handed his debut by new
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, the FC Porto
defender who was in the Nigerian team for the
AFCON 2017 tie against Tanzania, ironically grew
up in same state in Nigeria with the Chelsea star.

Awaziem was a 9 year old teen in Jos, same area as Mikel when the Chelsea man moved to
Stamford Bridge in 2005, and the 19 year old
says he still can’t believe he is a teammate to
Mikel in the national team.

”I’m based in Jos, same place as senior man
(Mikel) , have heard a lot of good things about
him, but there is more to him than just been
good, he is every young player’s delight” He said to Owngoalnigeria.com.

”I found it hard to approach him, when he first
came to camp, but Mikel is the type who will
approach you, if you don’t and always willing to
find out if all is well, he reminds me of Casillas, the way he is treating me is no different.

”Mikel and Casillas are natural leaders, their aura inspires you, even before they say a word, their presence alone is enough motivation”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/23/fc-porto-super-eagles-invitee-awaziem-praises-leadership-qualities-of-chelsea-he-is-just-like-casillas/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:57am On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:

Such people are not included in my list, people who have International football careers with European countries aren't as African as these people.

There is a reason why they attach their African nationalities to them, do you see people still refer to Dele as British-Nigerian? He's English to them.

Now, if you're not a footballer, then such rules don't apply to you, see the likes of John Boyega still carry the Nigerian tag before British.

I am going to digress Dele Alli Father was absent without leave, what do you expect.

John Boyega's were present continous and remain continously and may I add with strong Christian values.

I meet people like Dele Alli all the time yearning in pain, confused and in ever present turmoil for a fathers love they cannot find.

Rejected as white by white people but labelled black by everyone but uncomfortable with his identity undefined. Simply put he his in painful confusion, don't blame the child but the Father who is nowhere to be seen.

Engaging with African require acquired skills if you don't have them you can feel suicidal rejected and alone.

He's talking about fish n chips and we are talking Ukodo and Banga soup with stach.

Eéeeeeee no easy, what he needs is good Nigerian wife, maybe you can consider him abe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:04pm On Nov 23, 2016
komekn:

I am going to digress Dele Alli Father was absent without leave, what do you expect.

John Boyega's were present continous and remain continously and may I add with strong Christian values.

I meet people like Dele Alli all the time yearning in pain, confused and in ever present turmoil for a fathers love they cannot find.

Rejected as white by white people but labelled black by everyone but uncomfortable with his identity undefined. Simply put he his in painful confusion, don't blame the child but the Father who is nowhere to be seen.

Engaging with African require acquired skills if you don't have them you can feel suicidal rejected and alone.

He's talking about fish n chips and we are talking Ukodo and Banga soup with stach.

Eéeeeeee no easy, what he needs is good Nigerian wife, maybe you can consider him abe.

Britain is filled with immigrants and Nigerians, if you want to learn of your Nigerian heritage, you will.

Parts of Britain are even mini-Nigeria, if Piers Morgan could learn some Yoruba, then by all means these people can also learn African cultures without waiting on their fathers.

Some people wet get popsy self, the popsy dey teach them 'innit'

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:06pm On Nov 23, 2016
robosky02:

sports diva you de-listed me from your following list? pls add it again

by the way how is abuja cheesy
done
Abuja is feeling the change

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 12:18pm On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:
done

Abuja is feeling the change

thanks

lets go there... cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 1:12pm On Nov 23, 2016
safarigirl:

hahahaha olanna you are damm funny

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:27pm On Nov 23, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

That doesn't change the fact that they fell apart and didn't play for him. U didn't even address wat i said u just dropped ur regular statement.

They played for him. One of Iheanacho's goal this season came from a clever pass from Kevin De Bruyne. He missed a header against Manchester United in the EFL Cup from a clever cross. The goal he scored against Bournemouth came from a brilliant pass from Sterling.

Our problems came from defensive mix ups and the Spanish Tactician is working on it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:36pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
FC Porto Super Eagles Invitee Awaziem Praises Leadership Qualities Of Chelsea Mikel – He Is Just Like Casillas

FC Porto teen sensation Chidozie Awaziem says
captain of the Nigeria senior national team John
Mikel Obi is similar to his FC Porto teammate, the
legendary Iker Casillas when it comes to
motivating young players.

Highly tipped to be handed his debut by new
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, the FC Porto
defender who was in the Nigerian team for the
AFCON 2017 tie against Tanzania, ironically grew
up in same state in Nigeria with the Chelsea star.

Awaziem was a 9 year old teen in Jos, same area as Mikel when the Chelsea man moved to
Stamford Bridge in 2005, and the 19 year old
says he still can’t believe he is a teammate to
Mikel in the national team.

”I’m based in Jos, same place as senior man
(Mikel) , have heard a lot of good things about
him, but there is more to him than just been
good, he is every young player’s delight” He said to Owngoalnigeria.com.

”I found it hard to approach him, when he first
came to camp, but Mikel is the type who will
approach you, if you don’t and always willing to
find out if all is well, he reminds me of Casillas, the way he is treating me is no different.

”Mikel and Casillas are natural leaders, their aura inspires you, even before they say a word, their presence alone is enough motivation”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/23/fc-porto-super-eagles-invitee-awaziem-praises-leadership-qualities-of-chelsea-he-is-just-like-casillas/

Kai, the way, these reporters dig up old news is legendary

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:35pm On Nov 23, 2016
Loooooollllllll.......... My Oga... Wetin man go do? Looolllll
Borrowing your own words, "Slow news week it seems...." wink
tbaba1234:

Kai, the way, these reporters dig up old news is legendary
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
komekn:

@the bolded is one of the reasons most managers don't sign lots of African players. Of course the Afcon is definitely a major reason.

The Arsenal dressing room at a point was so disintegrated into various factions.The strongest faction was the Francophone African players like Kolo Toure, Galas, Eboue, Song, Adebayor, Amanda Traore and Frimpong...
These guys formed a strong clique and spoke their native African French language which pissed other players off.

I understand that the disintegration of the dressing room by African born players was the reason Wenger have refused to sign African players than he usually does.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:13pm On Nov 23, 2016
goldfish80:

@the bolded is one of the reasons most managers don't sign lots of African players. Of course the Afcon is definitely a major reason.

The Arsenal dressing room at a point was so disintegrated into various factions.The strongest faction was the Francophone African players like Kolo Toure, Galas, Eboue, Song, Adebayor, Amanda Traore and Frimpong...
These guys formed a strong clique and spoke their native African French language which pissed other players off.

I understand that the disintegration of the dressing room by African born players was the reason Wenger have refused to sign African players than he usually does.

Frimpong is Ghanian and English. Do you mean an African clique?

I do not think, there was any reported disintegration of the dressing room in Arsenal because of African players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:19pm On Nov 23, 2016
tbaba1234:

Frimpong is Ghanian and English. Do you mean an African clique?

I do not think, there was any reported disintegration of the dressing room in Arsenal because of African players.
There was a disintegration, though under reported.
Things got so bad that the club banned speaking of French and other foreign languages in the dressing room,because other players felt alienated.

Frimpong was part of the African clique headed by the noisy Emmanuel Eboue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by betblog: 3:25pm On Nov 23, 2016
check my signature or click on my profile to learn about how to make money with ease
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:35pm On Nov 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

They played for him. One of Iheanacho's goal this season came from a clever pass from Kevin De Bruyne. He missed a header against Manchester United in the EFL Cup from a clever cross. The goal he scored against Bournemouth came from a brilliant pass from Sterling.

Our problems came from defensive mix ups and the Spanish Tactician is working on it.

Its good u remember all his chances but how many times has he been open and still not passed the ball? Countless that what. When Kun is not in the match everybody turns into a striker and wants to shoot. I expect Yaya to help him alot in this department and that is why i always wanted him back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (16531) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: quickberry(m), elyte89, JohnBullMySon, ChrisKels, Pidginwhisper, mank1234(m), Zellas, Famocious(m), Bannedlargejr and 17 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.