Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,945 members, 7,879,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3882) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12025218 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3879) (3880) (3881) (3882) (3883) (3884) (3885) ... (16407) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 7:36am On Jun 03, 2018
tbaba1234:
Rohr did not appear to be 100% sure of Joel Obi making the 23. I think it will be a last minute decision between Agu and Obi.
Thanks boss for the updates
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 7:37am On Jun 03, 2018
I love this gnashing of teeth here but hold it for the group stage exit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:39am On Jun 03, 2018
Mujtahida:
This one no be savagery again oo, na savagement.
hehehehe correct savagement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 7:40am On Jun 03, 2018
edi287:

But Ebuehi is too soft na. Na achebo him be. Him resemble person way breeze go blow. Shehu is strong and understands the African game.
Shehu is our best rb. It doesn't matter if Ebuehi played well. He didn't play well against Serbia. Injury is not an excuse.
Rohr will RIGHTLY start Shehu in the WC because Ebuehi is weak. Na technical ability we go chop??
this your post is reek of emotive prejudice. Ebuehi is mile ahead of shehu, forget about physicality aspect Who e epp? You can not tell me that you prefer shehu to be starting ahead of ebuehi despite clear evidence of ebuehi superiority, Guy fear God. I don’t know why some people like to encourage mediocrity.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:41am On Jun 03, 2018
ChrisKels:

How many matches did he start this past season?

played 21 league games out of possible 36 and we all can remember he was injured for sometime
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:43am On Jun 03, 2018
Rohr also said that Joel Obi is unfit and that some players were 'heavy'.. ( maybe Onazi?)

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:43am On Jun 03, 2018
forgiveness:

I agree with you on Ogu. He's a good and utility player.
He's surely on his way to Russia.

I think you are right, he should search for a creative Cms that can pass from deep after the world cup.

For now, Ogu can do that with ease and I hope he is given the chance.

Ogu has been a good player, you guys just realizing it now, he was dropped in 2014 unfairly...he played our game against italy in england and was our best but was still dropped
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:45am On Jun 03, 2018
tbaba1234:
Rohr also said that Joel Obi is unfit and that some players were 'heavy'.. ( maybe Onazi?)
Lol...the man eye don dey clear....

better he adopt that 3-5-2 formation at the world cup.... with the right players.....
we will qualify from that group...but with any other formation/tactics we may not qualify....
and with that formation...aina should make the team ahead of elderson and awaziem too is an asset....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:46am On Jun 03, 2018
TheGoodJoe:
The coaching crew should get serious and make the right set-up for the team. Nacho should lead the line. He offers more bite, mobility, finishing ability, shooting from range and also has the creativity to drop deep to assist the midfield. It is a no-brainer he should be a starter.

Onazi should never start ahead of Ogu again.

Finito.

after any game you guys will just shift from one position to another...ok now nacho should lead the line....after that i will hear the coach should know nacho is not a natural striker.

you guys should calm down, if Ronaldo was a Nigerian, he wont get to start again after that final, make una calm down...players get downtime sometimes

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:47am On Jun 03, 2018
Humility017:

Lol...the man eye don dey clear....

better he adopt that 3-5-2 formation at the world cup.... with the right players.....
we will qualify from that group...but with any other formation/tactics we may not qualify....
and with that formation...aina should make the team ahead of elderson and awaziem too is an asset....

From the press conference, i think Aina will be dropped.

The last player is between Joel Obi and Agu

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:48am On Jun 03, 2018
kellycute:
this your post is reek of emotive prejudice. Ebuehi is mile ahead of shehu, forget about physicality aspect Who e epp? You can not tell me that you prefer shehu to be starting ahead of ebuehi despite clear evidence of ebuehi superiority, Guy fear God. I don’t know why some people like to encourage mediocrity.
don't mind him....
someone who knows rohr should tell him...
better we play that 3-5-2 formation.... because all the time we have played it we play better...even England was lost in it during the early part of the 2nd half likewise Argentina.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 03, 2018
kellycute:
No, what it reeks of is sarcasm.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:49am On Jun 03, 2018
tbaba1234:

From the press conference, i think Aina will be dropped.
The last player is between Joel Obi and Agu
that's very sad.... well he knows what he wants.... but I see first 11 selection gonna be this team problem.....@the world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 7:50am On Jun 03, 2018
tbaba1234:
Rohr did not appear to be 100% sure of Joel Obi making the 23. I think it will be a last minute decision between Agu and Obi.
quite frankly Joel hasn't helped his case

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 7:51am On Jun 03, 2018
EEGA:
So, against Croatia you will start Shehu?
We hardly learn from our mistakes.African football is not WC.If not Vicmo's selfishness would have earned him a goal today.

Any full back that doesn't attack subjects the team to pressure.

Nigeria fans all expect there player to be 100% always. moses this moses that, no Nigeria player minus Uzoho and iwobi played well in the first half.

how many moves did ali get to do all match, even maradona had a bad game against Germany in the final 1990.

this guys are human, the fact that Bale came in and play better than ronaldo in the final don't make him better.

Thank God Rohr is not a Nairalander

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 7:52am On Jun 03, 2018
tbaba1234:
onazi's heavy issue has been talked about here for long.. I wonder how rohr didn't notice it since or chose to ignore it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KK555: 7:54am On Jun 03, 2018
tbaba1234:

Rohr has confirmed that Simy will be on the list

I will support Nigeria henceforth.

Simi Nwankwo will be Nigeria's joker in the world cup. I believe he will do well for the team. Onazi killed Nigeria yesterday. I have watched that match again. Shehu was not very composed but i think he should start again for Nigeria. Nigeria should keep possession like they have always done during the African qualifying. Keep the passes short if possible, most of the long passes were intercepted. Onazi is strong but very poor concentration in yesterday's match cost Nigeria a lot. He was not moving or positioning himself well. His awkward and poor passes resulted in the free kick which Uzoho parried to corner, the resultant corner kick was badly defended by Ekong and Mikel gifting Cahill the liberty to nod home.

I pray Ndidi recovers soon enough. Overall it was not a bad game for Nigeria. It would have been very disastrous in the first half. Etebo did well linking up the midfield with his tackles, runs and short beautiful passes. They need to work on their shooting as well. Coordination, cohesion, communication especially in the midfield are vital. They were lacking in the first half.

I think Nigeria will surprise the world.

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:56am On Jun 03, 2018
Martz101:

Nigeria fans all expect there player to be 100% always. moses this moses that, no Nigeria player minus Uzoho and iwobi played well in the first half.

how many moves did ali get to do all match, even maradona had a bad game against Germany in the final 1990.

this guys are human, the fact that Bale came in and play better than ronaldo in the final don't make him better.

Thank God Rohr is not a Nairalander

Shehu has not been good against European Opposition, It is not one game. He was caught out several times against poland and serbia.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:56am On Jun 03, 2018
chilex9:

He virtually got the goal...
With no balla from midfield...what could he do
Ighalo needs 10 chances to get a goal....
that's him.... not a proficient striker..
he should be made to sit on the bench...for someone more productive...simmy should be tested in the next match...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 7:57am On Jun 03, 2018
KK555:

Simi Nwankwo will be Nigeria's joker in the world cup. I believe he will do well for the team. Onazi killed Nigeria yesterday. I have watched that match again. Shehu was not very composed, i think he should start again for Nigeria. Nigeria should keep possession like they have always done during the African qualifying. Keep the passes short if possible, most of the long passes were intercepted. Onazi is strong but very poor concentration in yesterday's match cost Nigeria a lot. He was not moving or positioning himself well. His awkward and pass pass resulted in the free kick which Uzoho parried to corner, the resultant corner kick was badly defended by Ekong and Mikel gifting Cahill the liberty to nod home.

I pray Ndidi recovers soon enough. Overall it was not a bad game for Nigeria. It would have been very disastrous in the first half. Etebo did well linking up the midfield with his tackles, runs and short beautiful passes. They need to work on their shooting as well. Coordination, cohesion, communication especially in the midfield are vital. They were lacking in the first half.

oga ,come online !!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KK555: 7:57am On Jun 03, 2018
asha80:
onazi's heavy issue has been talked about here for long.. I wonder how rohr didn't notice it since or chose to ignore it

On his good day, he tackles well. He is strong, it is hard to bully him off the ball. Loftus Cheek would not have done to him what he did to the likes of Musa in the second half. Only Ogu could match that strength but he loses concentration.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:58am On Jun 03, 2018
KK555:

Simi Nwankwo will be Nigeria's joker in the world cup. I believe he will do well for the team. Onazi killed Nigeria yesterday. I have watched that match again. Shehu was not very composed, i think he should start again for Nigeria. Nigeria should keep possession like they have always done during the African qualifying. Keep the passes short if possible, most of the long passes were intercepted. Onazi is strong but very poor concentration in yesterday's match cost Nigeria a lot. He was not moving or positioning himself well. His awkward and pass pass resulted in the free kick which Uzoho parried to corner, the resultant corner kick was badly defended by Ekong and Mikel gifting Cahill the liberty to nod home.

thanks bro....
I really liked your analysis.
our only prayer is for rohr to have his first 11 selection right.....
with no sentiments attached.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:58am On Jun 03, 2018
KK555:

Rohr said Ndidi will start the next game, that means, he will start training with the team.. From what i saw, i believe the team can pull some surprises.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KK555: 8:00am On Jun 03, 2018
Afobear:
oga ,come online !!!

Believe it. Nigeria will beat Croatia.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:02am On Jun 03, 2018
Mickael2:

grin I just dey here dey check out some very very very funny analysis.

First of all we both saw it since 2017 that Onazi is gone, after this match even Sir Kog45 no fit defend am again. but trust them sha.

Then again, everybody is hailing our second half performance, but bar Iwobi's goal which other chance(notable or not) did we create? England were winning, they didn't need to push yet in that second half they still created the better chances after we scored and for God's sake this is England, you know the same England that we have been saying we will wipe the floor with? yes that sane England and we barely created 3 chances of note and people are still making reference to the Argentina friendly when we have been so poor recently.

Our main problem now is Mikel. naturally he doesn't have enough energy to function as an AMF self, but to make matters worse the Chinese league has been on for a while, I doubt he has had enough time to rest since he started all his team's recent matches, that's like 10 games at least in the last few weeks and yet we all know that without Mikel our team is...well Panama wearing a fanciful green jersey and the end point is that we will be destroyed. Ndidi is not yet training with the full squad, I don't know when he will get match fit but let's just watch. The main problem is that the Chinese league's calendar has affected Mikel and it will affect our team, that AMF role will be too stressful for him now and that's when we will see just how good our team is.

coming down to the manager, I'd bet thousands that Onazi would still start our matches, in fact make that a few hundred thousands. The coach is just a man manager, it works for Zidane because he has a lot of top quality players but when your forward players are either wingbacks in the clubs or they have a permanent quarter on the bench of a midtable team then being just a manager isn't going to cut it.

Finally to address those calling for Ogu to becoming a starter, you don't change your midfield most especially like that. No matter how impressive Saul is in training and even friendlies now and even if Iniesta starts playing like an old lady he will still start, that's one area of the pitch where you don't just change players because they come in as subs and perform well. Ogu may not even make it to Russia and I won't be surprised I mean Kayode was left at home for a Lokosa who had no chance whatsoever. I mean based on what Ighalo did today wouldn't Lokosa at least be a better choice? in fact I have tire

now mikel don't have energy to play AM, where will he play, will his energy be enough to play DM.

stop making excuse for him, why didnt you say moses was tired too.

The truth is football is a team sport, you need somepeople to rise to the occasion when others are underperforming, iwobi proved to us he should be starting and mikel needs him around but if we go about judging players after each match then iwobi should have been dropped after Poland and serbia game because he was very poor.

Today i see people praising Etebo and now should be in the plane ahead of Onazi, this same people were complaining and predicting that he will be dropped.

make una take I'm easy on una analysis

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:06am On Jun 03, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Dres Mertens was a winger most of his career but Sarri was able to fashion out one of the most devastating forwards in the game today by tinkering with his set-up and giving the small winger a chance upfront. Mertens turned out a revelation banging over 40 goals in over 50 games.

Caging minds with respect to tactics is long over. Attributes is the key.

are we napoli??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:09am On Jun 03, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Is Ighalo Ronaldo. Your writing empty things here without making any point. I have listed attributes why Iheanacho is the better pick. Heck, today, he offered better movement and touches upfront than Ighalo. Why the hell should Ighalo be the better choice?

I have said it, with more movement up front, the midfield has better options to pick better passes.

Iheanacho has led the line for Guardiola and Guardiola mostly plays with a man upfront and Iheanacho has done well. So I wonder all these when has Iheanacho played well as a long striker upfront.

Mertens shows that build and strength is not the only way to go with a striker upfront.

How that equates to Iheanacho being Mertens beats my imagination.

oga this your mertena talk here is laughable, maybe we can also put simmy in the wing, juventus did thesame for there big man mandzukic, then we can mikel in the defence to start our game from defense...Pep did it with alonso.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:10am On Jun 03, 2018
Mickael2:

No offence Sir but you really do not have any point.

I am very very sure that you are part of the 'national team form' committee so I ask again, has Nacho ever performed well as a lone striker in the GWG? The answer, if you are being sincere is a resounding NO. Has Ighalo performed well as a lone striker for us? Way way better than Nacho has ever managed. Against Algeria the midfielders couldn't find any pass for Nacho and you came and gave us a long speech about pressing, utterly useless speech it was no offence. Against South Africa the same thing happened and you came back and blamed the midfield, yet against Cameroon Ighalo barely got 4 good chances and scored, if he wasn't mobile how did the midfielder find him? Baba, it's 00:37, you probably had a hectic day no?

thumbs up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:12am On Jun 03, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Talk like an analyst than saying he failed woefully.

I have pointed out a simple way to identify how ruthless Iheanacho can be but most of you have decided to keep your eyes blind to a simple point.

In the game against South Africa most people criticized Iheanacho, people missed a blatant fact. Iheanancho made some devastating runs that put the South African defence under pressure. However, the passes that would have helped us score where poor. That is not the striker not playing poorly but the midfield not delivering. Watch the runs and the chances would have gotten, will show you Iheanacho's strength.

In the game against Algeria, even the coach told you Iheanacho was the reason we lost but you have chosen to bury your head in a sand of lies to keep the false doctrine of Iheanacho can not operate alone upfront.

In today's game, Nacho dropped deep to help spread the ball, kept the defenders under pressure and also kept pickford under pressure. This gave us more chances to win the ball. Tell us a better option to play to cause such effect. Because, I see no solutions from you.

sentiment is written all over this post

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 8:15am On Jun 03, 2018
Humility017:

don't mind him....
someone who knows rohr should tell him...
better we play that 3-5-2 formation.... because all the time we have played it we play better...even England was lost in it during the early part of the 2nd half likewise Argentina.
exactly, that’s our weapon of mass destruction formation and all hands must be on deck to ensure our team perfect it. Southgate stood up the moment we changed formation to 3:5:2 Cos the English boys was literally chasing shadow.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:19am On Jun 03, 2018
komekn:

Ebuehi has for me put Shehu into retirement NUFF said.

Joel Obi and Onazi have lost thier with Onazi carrying way too much weight.

Ogu did not stabilise the midfield, we were playing 3-5-2. He was left sided CB his lack of pace and recovery opened the door for Welbeck you almost have an open road to score goal if not for Ekong.

Etebo brought much needed invention, stability,mobility, attack and much needed defensive backtracking.

Musa gave Walker a lesson in sprinting.

With the work they did as a collective Mikel was unleashed with licence to roam. Iwobi is fast growing up and running � tings.

When will Aina get a game at RB or LB we really have not tested him properly.

Idowu has given Echiejile is pension, nuttin more to say.

Finally, football brought the Naija community out in full force LONDON shake no be small.

Met old classmates I hadn't seen for years and some Naija celebrity musicians.

GR8 Day in the end after causing cardiac arrest to the nation the revived themselves in the second half.

you analysis was making sense until the bolded, which other test those Aina want,l maybe malaria test.

Aina has played more game than Ebuehi even more game than his competitor Idowu.

I'm sure there house no far from Wembley or maybe his dad can still carry him home.

everybody is missing the fact that Awaziem is no more our 3rd choice defender, the boy need to stand up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 8:20am On Jun 03, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

And you feel playing Simy upfront alone is not an experiment. Na wa.

how can that be an experiment, he has all it takes to play there, good physical presence, hold up play and aeriel threat...his a hand full

(1) (2) (3) ... (3879) (3880) (3881) (3882) (3883) (3884) (3885) ... (16407) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.