Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,091 members, 7,896,648 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 06:04 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12129688 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4396) (4397) (4398) (4399) (4400) (4401) (4402) ... (16451) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by infonnews5: 11:54am On Jul 11, 2018
World Cup: Enugu Gov. redeems N5m pledge to Super Eagles

source:https://www.infonewsnigeria.com/discussion/1553/world-cup-enugu-gov-redeems-n5m-pledge-to-super-eagles#latest

The Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, has fulfilled his N5 million pledge to the Super Eagles for their performance at the Russia 2018 World Cup.

Ugwuanyi, had in May made the pledge during a fundraising ceremony at a gala night for the Super Eagles.

He fulfilled his promise on Tuesday when he presented a cheque for the sum to the team through the Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Joseph Udedi.

Ugwuanyi congratulated the Eagles for their performance and wished them luck as they returned to their respective clubs.

In a similar development, the Enugu State Government also procured a world-class ultra modern physiotherapy facility, fitness and training equipment for Rangers FC to enhance their performance and care for injured players. (NAN)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:30pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

Whatever test was carried out for the 2009 team was unregulated making it subject to the things we do in Nigeria. Whatever test was done in Qatar was a private unregulated test not an Aspire academy test. They were not required to submit official results to any official body. This means that we can protect important players. Fortune Chukwudi was captain then, signifying his importance.

The likelihood of Fortune Chukwudi passing a valid MRI test at his age is very low.

There is a reason why we have not had scandals since 2009. The tests became mandatory.

Quick question, did we have any scandal before that 2009? If I am correct Fortune has been the only unfortunate guy, so does that mean that Chrisantus and co were 17 in 2007 because there was no scandal then?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2018
Mickael2:

Quick question, did we have any scandal before that 2009? If I am correct Fortune has been the only unfortunate guy, so does that mean that Chrisantus and co were 17 in 2007 because there was no scandal then?

Before 2007, we knew some of the players were not under 17 and we could demonstrably prove that especially for those who had played in the league for long enough. People in the media knew.

For Instance, in the current under 20 team, we know several players that are way past 20. Graduates of Nigerian Institutions.

This kind of verifiable evidence is not available for the last few under 17 teams (2013 and 2015). In fact, in most cases, we can prove that they are the right age or close to it (max 2/3 years older). That is what MRI has helped us do. Cheating has been drastically reduced.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:56pm On Jul 11, 2018
krattoss:
griezman that brings his atm mentality to the national team?
Dude slows counter like it's his right undecidedespecially when they re a goal up..

No not for me

That is the mentality I love. Fight, fight and more fighting. How many times do we see this guy in his own box making a defensive stop then boom he is in the oppositions box creating havoc. He might not do all those hot dog tricks but he is more than effective. He is the one player I would have no issue telling a little boy to try be like. He is a purists joy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:04pm On Jul 11, 2018
a couple yes philip osondu after the 1987 set. another player whose name i can't readily recall from the 2007 set it was Ade Ojiekere the sport journalist who wrote an exclusive on the guy blowing the whole lid on the matter.

MRI has definitely helped to reduce age cheating. is it 100% perfect? no even the proponents of the test have never claimed such but at least now we have a fair idea who the true youngsters are. anecdotal evidence of the likes of iheanacho, awoniyi, ndidi, uzoho, osimhen further strengthens my belief in the test.

like others have said until you post scientific evidence of 20 and above year olds passing the test then all you have is speculation, hearsay and personal opinion

Mickael2:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:05pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

My point still stands though..

These were private unregulated tests. That is what i think is deceptive. The facility where it is conducted is irrelevant. Equating the private test done by ourselves for Ourselves to a monitored controlled test.

The risk is lower in random tests because only a few players will get tested. You can certainly put in a few overaged players

In Nigeria, people take job tests and we still select those with connections. So yes, i will take a regulated test more seriously.

We only had started having FIFA mandated tests in 2011. Since then, look at the composition of players from the African continent that make the tournaments. They obviously look younger.

It is no surprise that FIFA made it mandatory in 2011 after the Fortune Chukwudi scandal

I apologize if i offended you in anyway, it was not my intention.

The MRI scan in 2009 was mandatory because of FIFA's random check. Every member of the team was checked twice by the Nff to make sure they didn't fall victim of FIFA's random selection.
Guys like Edafe Egbedi, Stanley Okoro, Terry Envo and even Omeruo were chronologically older than 17.

You call it a private test, but that same private test disqualified so many other players and the same private test have been used by the Nff ever since till date.
Was it not a private test that disqualified the players Uzoho replaced in 2013?
Why would you believe the Nff gamed the system by adding players who failed Mri with the risk of getting disqualified if they were accidentally picked up by FIFA's routine assessment team in a tournament Nigeria was hosting? It sounds ridiculous.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2018
you've tried bro but people will believe what they want to believe each to his own

make i find trouble small how far with our under 20 team na grin

tbaba1234:

Before 2007, we knew some of the players were not under 17 and we could demonstrably prove that especially for those who had played in the league for long enough. People in the media knew.

For Instance, in the current under 20 team, we know several players that are way past 20. Graduates of Nigerian Institutions.

This kind of verifiable evidence is not available for the last few under 17 teams (2013 and 2015). In fact, in most cases, we can prove that they are the right age or close to it (max 2/3 years older). That is what MRI has helped us do. Cheating has been drastically reduced.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:15pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

I have to comment here because this is deceptive.

There was no mandated MRI test by CAF or FIFA in 2009. Any test (If any) that might have been conducted was done by Nigeria alone with no independent party and hence subject to the Nigerian factor.

Currently, test results are monitored by CAF and FIFA experts because they are mandatory. In 2009, we only had random tests by CAF and FIFA meaning not every player was tested.

That you have to refer back to 2009 is testament to the success of mandatory MRI tests. We have not had any significant verifiable age scandal since.

This a very simple thing.

Nobody has said the MRI is 99.9% accurate.

But a system that has about 90% degree of certainty by any standard is very reliable.

Tagging all our players age cheats because of that 10% chance of failure is so so unanalitical, unfounded and biased.

Until proven otherwise the MRI is still the best means of checking age cheating.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2018
remember nigeria was hosting so it makes sense ''stuffs'' were done to help us. as long as the full screening was done by us and not FIFA anything goes. for all you know maybe the stories of players being screened out and dropped could have been a kite flown by the nff to give the impression we were serious about curbing age cheating. alot of funny things weren't on before we hosted that competition. host cities being dropped then reselected out of the blues.

goldfish80:

The MRI scan in 2009 was mandatory because of FIFA's random check. Every member of the team was checked twice by the Nff to make sure they didn't fall victim of FIFA's random selection.
Guys like Edafe Egbedi, Stanley Okoro, Terry Envo and even Omeruo were chronologically older than 17.

You call it a private test, but that same private test disqualified so many other players and the same private test have been used by the Nff ever since till date.
Was it not a private test that disqualified the players Uzoho replaced in 2013?
Why would you believe the Nff gamed the system by adding players who failed Mri with the risk of getting disqualified if they were accidentally picked up by FIFA's routine assessment team in a tournament Nigeria was hosting? It sounds ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:35pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:

Is this a good move for his development?

He gets to play in the Europa league next season.

I have high hopes for his kid. We need new strikers in the Eagles. It is time to start introducing Umar, Awoniyi and others.

I personally would have wanted him to stay at Roma because I feel he is ready physically. But I can accept the move because Steven Gerrard has been blowing sweet nothings into our ears about the boy and why not learn from a guy who even Luis Suarez gives credit for his development? I also feel the potential goals will be great for his confidence.
I believe that the players you named coupled with a few others should be integrated with the team as early as possible. But the fact remains that they will miss sitters and go on droughts at times so if this is our standard we may have to keep waiting on our messiah.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:46pm On Jul 11, 2018
andrew444:

Lol Griezman a joy to watch are you kidding me?

Yes he is a world class player but sorry griezman is not a joy to watch

Oga na for you to talk your own na. How can you even begin to tell someone what brings joy to them?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:51pm On Jul 11, 2018
chrisooblog:
remember nigeria was hosting so it makes sense ''stuffs'' were done to help us. as long as the full screening was done by us and not FIFA anything goes. for all you know maybe the stories of players being screened out and dropped could have been a kite flown by the nff to give the impression we were serious about curbing age cheating. alot of funny things weren't on before we hosted that competition. host cities being dropped then reselected out of the blues.

Subsequent U17s after 2009 were also tested by the Nff, maybe FIFA tests the players before the tournament but you have to scale the Nff's private test before FIFA ran theirs. I say this with certainty however, I stand to be corrected.

For the uptheent time and as a matter of fact, FIFA used MRI in 2009. Burkina Faso was also affected as some of their players failed the test in 2009.
FIFA claims the MRI is full proof but that haven't proved to be accurate by my findings.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:
This is one of the players of the current under 17 team. Save the picture... In a few years, someone will tell you, he is 40.

Haba this boy too small na. Abi na U15? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:59pm On Jul 11, 2018
Omo, let's come back to this conversation after the semi-finals. I had predicted a France/Croatia finals, if that pans out, we'll see in what league most of the stars players play grin

O pari

komekn:

This is not hearsay.

But let's look at the 4 teams left in the world cup. And consider thier star players, which league do the overwhelmingly largest number of top stars play.

That should answer your bad belle proposition and Bury it in the cemetery permanently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:16pm On Jul 11, 2018
we are both still saying the same thing FIFA random tests could have been ''adjusted'' to ensure the random picked ones were the sure bankers who would pass the test. the 2009 test was still fraught with mystery, uncertainty and doubt. as for the 2013-2015 sets there were 3 levels of testing NFF, CAF then FIFA no test is ever full proof but the MRI scan judging from the results in the iheanacho and osimhen sets is definitely a major improvement.

look at this example you run a border post you randomly screen passengers for contraband you don't need to be a genius that many will scale through the system but get a body and luggage screening machine you will definitely see a drastic change

goldfish80:

Subsequent U17s after 2009 were also tested by the Nff, maybe FIFA tests the players before the tournament but you have to scale the Nff's private test before FIFA ran theirs. I say this with certainty however, I stand to be corrected.

For the uptheent time and as a matter of fact, FIFA used MRI in 2009. Burkina Faso was also affected as some of their players failed the test in 2009.
FIFA claims the MRI is full proof but that haven't proved to be accurate by my findings.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:
OMG!!! Ebere Eze Pre season goal::

http://twitter.com/QPR/status/1016632543091838976

I hope we can start introducing players like him to the national team.
if we lose this kid i will go crazy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:33pm On Jul 11, 2018
chrisooblog:
we are both still saying the same thing FIFA random tests could have been ''adjusted'' to ensure the random picked ones were the sure bankers who would pass the test. the 2009 test was still fraught with mystery, uncertainty and doubt. as for the 2013-2015 sets there were 3 levels of testing NFF, CAF then FIFA no test is ever full proof but the MRI scan judging from the results in the iheanacho and osimhen sets is definitely a major improvement.

look at this example you run a border post you randomly screen passengers for contraband you don't need to be a genius that many will scale through the system but get a body and luggage screening machine you will definitely see a drastic change

I don't think it will be easy to influence a random selection. FIFA and continental affiliates also use random selection to test players at various competitions for doping.
Recall Rio Ferdinand's case.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:42pm On Jul 11, 2018
with FIFA especially of them sepp blatter, jack warner days anything could happen. anyways you are rightly interrogating the efficiency of this MRI of a thing but until conclusive evidence shows it can be gamed i'm sticking with the results before me

goldfish80:

I don't think it will be easy to influence a random selection. FIFA and continental affiliates also use random selection to test players at various competitions for doping.
Recall Rio Ferdinand's case.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2018
tbaba1234:
OMG!!! Ebere Eze Pre season goal::

http://twitter.com/QPR/status/1016632543091838976

I hope we can start introducing players like him to the national team.

When u talk about talented young Nigerians in the championship, Eze's name should be first on the list. This boy is a gem. I hope he makes our next list come September since we need personnel in the position(the AM) he plays best
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:42pm On Jul 11, 2018
Mickael2:

Are you still trying to convince these guys that MRI is not 99.9% certain? It's very very funny that I had to argue that stuff with people who have absolutely zero knowledge of basic radiography but leave them to believe whatever they want sha, MRI is the ultimate, it has no error at all
I've heard and read somewhere something about being able to beat it with Citrus or something? I know it seemed far fetched but the guy I heard it from was very convinced.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 5:05pm On Jul 11, 2018
edi287:

I've heard and read somewhere something about being able to beat it with Citrus or something? I know it seemed far fetched but the guy I heard it from was very convinced.
I ain't into that line of profession but with what you've read so far, can citrus alter it's possible outcomes?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:18pm On Jul 11, 2018
Certitude:

I ain't into that line of profession but with what you've read so far, can citrus alter it's possible outcomes?
I'm also not into it and think it's stupid. I'm just asking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:30pm On Jul 11, 2018
ChrisKels:

When u talk about talented young Nigerians in the championship, Eze's name should be first on the list. This boy is a gem. I hope he makes our next list come September since we need personnel in the position(the AM) he plays best

Ebere is the one that you know.

He actually played Firstly in league two with Wycombe Wanderers and then got his chance in QPR. A good player he is but this his first taste of the championship.

How many MOTM awards has he won What I'm saying is let's not over hype. There is a long way to go.

If our NFF scouts were not so lazy they would find players not on the radar of the English FA. Show love and get them linked in to the SE. I believe thay cam do it if they want and stop the favouritism approach thatis linked to players agents.

That's how we allowed Ejaria, Chuks, Ademola to fall through the hands of the NFF.

Now Ademola and Ejaria are becoming hot property.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:37pm On Jul 11, 2018
komekn:

He actually played Firstly in league two with Wycombe Wanderers and then got his chance in QPR. A good player he is but this his first taste of the championship.

How many MOTM awards has he won What I'm saying is let's not over hype. There is a long way to go.

If our NFF scouts were not so lazy they would find players not on the radar of the English FA. Show love and get them linked in to the SE. I believe thay cam do it if they want and stop the favouritism approach thatis linked to players agents.

That's how we allowed Ejaria, Chuks, Ademola to fall through the hands of the NFF.

And ur point is?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:13pm On Jul 11, 2018
goldfish80:

I put it to you that Mbappe will win the Balon dor before Neymar.

That was not the point. For now, Mbappe dreams to have a career like Neymar. Whoever wins first is not the debate. Mbappe is going against an aging Messi and CR7 while Neymar met them in their prime. For now, Mbappe is hoping for a career like Neymar.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:17pm On Jul 11, 2018
Mickael2:

Are you still trying to convince these guys that MRI is not 99.9% certain? It's very very funny that I had to argue that stuff with people who have absolutely zero knowledge of basic radiography but leave them to believe whatever they want sha, MRI is the ultimate, it has no error at all

As a person with in depth knowledge of radiography, explain to us how a player of 27 years can game the MRI.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2018
goldfish80:

There's no deception here, I'm putting out what was reported and recall that 6 months to the 2009 U17 world cup, about 15 members of the supposed Nigerian team were laid off after failing they MRI test because FIFA introduced a routine check to try out players so to be on the safe side, it was better every player was tested because you don't know who will be picked at random just liked they do with dope test.
In subsequent tournaments, they stopped random check and made it mandatory to check every player.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2009/11/07/eaglet%E2%80%99s-age-scandal-adokiye-sticks-to-gun/

cc Icon4s, TheGoodJoe

Ogunjobi lied because Fortune Chukwudi can not in any way possible pass an MRI scan. Fortune Chukwudi's case was one the reasons I believe FIFA made it mandatory and monitored by them.

To explain further, I was in D-line in Port Harcourt at that time. Fortune Chukwudi and a neighbor of mine were in the Amiesemaka's feeder team of Sharks. There is no way possible Fortune would ever pass, even once.

I am more interested in when it became strict and mandatory. With time, we are seeing a major reduction in general cheating in the U17 team of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2018
komekn:

Dude what’s your fux with “hold up play” and “MOTM”? Is that the new criteria in chosing a great player?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:29pm On Jul 11, 2018
Triniti:
Dude what’s your fux with “hold up play” and “MOTM”? Is that the new criteria in chosing a great player?

I no even understand wetin d boy dey talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chic2pimp(m): 7:28pm On Jul 11, 2018
FOOTBALL IS COMING HOME LADS!

(1) (2) (3) ... (4396) (4397) (4398) (4399) (4400) (4401) (4402) ... (16451) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: opes, Philosopher1979, Amedino99(m), GeneralDae, Napoleon55(m), gatecrash123 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.