Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11987920 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5118) (5119) (5120) (5121) (5122) (5123) (5124) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
Ekong has a share of the blame for that goal because there was no reason for him to do the exact same thing Omeruo was doing, for goodness sakes that boy got us with our very own Ighalo scoop and I am pissed that we let that happen angry.
Iheanacho this, Iheanacho that but what about the top class pass he made that that clown who moonlights as a linesman called offside? What about his flick that almost had Samuel Kalu clean on goal? If anyone should have got changed it was Iwobi who did nothing all day apart from his pass to Musa that was called off. Always doing too much and losing the ball, killed our attacks more than he powered them.

If u add the 2 fake offsides with Nacho's poor touch and Omeruo's missed header we could have won by 4 goals so I can't fault Rohr as much as I want to, in fact if that he-goat didn't raise his flag we are talking about a tactical master class. I hated the starting XI as much as anyone but what I must admit is that they followed a plan and it was almost perfect. We looked freakin Egyptian out there, we knew what we wanted and we took it. Ezenwa could have written a book with all the free time on his hands. Our tactics rendered their altitude useless.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2018
Who else saw Leon Balogun chancing Baxter grin and the best part was that he played very well after that.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2018
In truth Musa was a poor player for a long time, but dude has really improved his game.
He is much better at taking on players, but what I like most is that his decision making and passing has really improved. Couple that with his deadly pace, his goal scoring threat, and his defending.
At one point late in the 2nd half he was tracking back all the way into our box to make a tackle, and this playing as a CENTRE FORWARD.
he is a deserved starter for SE. The guy played very well again today and scored another legit goal that was called off. His goal per game ratio of late is very very good.
Glad to see his game come along way. Very key player for us, complete baller right now.

Cc Vancity Eagle, I concur

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by signz: 10:43pm On Nov 17, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Ekong has a share of the blame for that goal because there was no reason for him to do the exact same thing Omeruo was doing, for goodness sakes that boy got us with our very own Ighalo scoop and I am pissed that we let that happen angry.
Iheanacho this, Iheanacho that but what about the top class pass he made that that clown who moonlights as a linesman called offside? What about his flick that almost had Samuel Kalu clean on goal? If anyone should have got changed it was Iwobi who did nothing all day apart from his pass to Musa that was called off. Always doing too much and losing the ball, killed our attacks more than he powered them.

If u add the 2 fake offsides with Nacho's poor touch and Omeruo's missed header we could have won by 4 goals so I can't fault Rohr as much as I want to, in fact if that he-goat didn't raise his flag we are talking about a tactical master class. I hated the starting XI as much as anyone but what I must admit is that they followed a plan and it was almost perfect. We looked freakin Egyptian out there, we knew what we wanted and we took it. Ezenwa could have written a book with all the free time on his hands. Our tactics rendered their altitude useless.

Exactly!!!

We got our tactics right.

We should accept the fact that Rohr isn't a Pep Guardiola. He's an old school conservative and his style has helped us qualify for 2 major tournaments in a row.

For those that want us to play like Spain and Dutch team of old, I have a question. Do we have the materials that'll make 50 passes and also defend our goal post when called into action?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:46pm On Nov 17, 2018
Odunayaw:
This is offside?

Drink water abeg

I tire.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
chrisooblog:
again you miss the point Baxter hasn't done anything that even south African coach can't remember his name but the meme one hasn't done. Make the southies hard to beat while ruffling a few big teams feathers.

South Africa played better yet only one effort on target which they scored useless possession with no end product

I have no issues with wanting rohr replaced with someone better but saying that someone is baxter is simply laughable

You still do not get it. South Africa were miles ahead of us in creative and tactical play. How that equates to Rohr being a better coach beats my imagination. With more quality players, we would have had a big problem on our hands. Worst of all is that we had the better quality players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:01pm On Nov 17, 2018
ChrisKels:
Buh after every-every, Percy Tau is a baller. He made a mistake changing his position to from Omeruo's side to Balogun who was having a good game, otherwise, he would have stung us more than he did.

Like I av always said, Collins is a liability, poor defending, wanting in attack, poor marking, poor ball sense. I dont see anything good in this boy, bar his handsome frame and red lips. Too bad, Idowu isnt helping matters either undecided

Kinda like Yaya Toure right? cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:02pm On Nov 17, 2018
Both were not offsides. If you are arguing this then u don’t know the rule. Please could u do us a favor and state the rule.

somehow:
And you still believe what you saw wasn't an offside based on?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:04pm On Nov 17, 2018
Joebie:
Cameroon comes back against Mali #AWCON

They even scored a 3rd goal which was wrongly judged offside in similar circumstance like our disallowed goals.

African referees cannot interprete simple offside position of play. Terrible!

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:05pm On Nov 17, 2018
Lol nice illustration.

Funny these same people will still argue that we are the giants of Africa. As much as I dispute this, I still use the slogan, “we are Nigeria”. And that simply means we deserve more — we can do far better.

ChrisKels:

My dear, from some posts in here, u can grade people's standards outside of this forum.

I will never forget what one gal told me bk then in skul. Gal was a very strong first class candidate from the dept of Geoplanning and never had anything less than A. Final year second semester, a lecturer called J.U Ogbonna hammered her 74(A) in a course she did so well that her actual score was supposed to be above 90. D girl begin para for the lecturer threatening to write a petition against him if he failed to provide her answer script to prove that he gave her what she merited. Na so I dey try calm her down say Chy but it is still an "A" nah, she told me straight up, "see KC I know my worth and my standard, I dont compromise on these two and I cant settle for less."

I just nod head comot, say babe dun carry laws of power scatter her head. She stood her ground and the almighty JU Ogbonna succumbed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:06pm On Nov 17, 2018
How can this be offside for Goodness sakes?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:06pm On Nov 17, 2018
Very terrible indeed!
Icon4s:

They even scored a 3rd goal which was wrongly judged offside in similar circumstance like our disallowed goals.

African referees cannot interprete simple offside position of play. Terrible!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:09pm On Nov 17, 2018
Joebie:
The best I’ve ever read from u. Very balanced and objective. My only objection, this was not the day for Iwobi to try to hold on to the ball longer. He failed consistently to pull some tricks. All he needed to do was keep it simple today and he would have got an A game regardless.

And, had to quote the whole damn post Joebie?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naijaphobia(m): 11:11pm On Nov 17, 2018
After seeing this I changed livescore.com result between RSA and Nigeria to 1-3.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:24pm On Nov 17, 2018
Of course I read everything and said it was balanced and objective.

junnyjake:

And, had to quote the whole damn post Joebie?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 11:28pm On Nov 17, 2018
Nigeria is producing quality players in defense & on the wings but not in the attacking midfield. Eagles lacked creative player in the mode of JJ . The sort of midfielders in SE lack the finesse of a veteran, flair to change direction at will, attack with sleek passes & regroup to gain back possession. It is obvious all they do in training is defensive set up & fast counter attack on the wings with little effort for tactical transition from defense to midfield then to attack. Our players are sort of drilled into javelin football style. The coach prefers defensive cum central Midfielders to creative attacking Midfielders. Likes of Ogu, Agbo, Agu, Onazi, Ajayi, Shehu, Ndidi & co will not bring in that creative flair & sleek transition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:35pm On Nov 17, 2018
WHY CAN'T WE HAVE IT BOTH WAYS?
We making it sound as If we can't both play well and still get results. That's a faulty way of looking at things.

We deserve to see our boys sweeten our eyes with wonderful display, not putting us on the edge why allowing opponents run around them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:37pm On Nov 17, 2018
I have to hand it to Balogun, despite being an executive bench warmer at Brighton, he showed No signs of it.

He marshaled the defense as expected of a veteran that he is.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 11:42pm On Nov 17, 2018
Naijaphobia:
After seeing this I changed livescore.com result between RSA and Nigeria to 1-3.

All those arguing that it wasn't offside think that call is made when ball reaches the player. Please someone should help point out to them that it's when ball is released.

This one is very clear for even an amateur linesman to call correctly. You don't need VAR or freeze frame to know if it's offside or not. The players are too far apart to even consider if any body part is onside or offside.

It's pure robbery. Well it doesn't matter at this time. But I want the linesman cautioned.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
Kai we don give Baxter mouth

” I’m disappointed that we couldn’t win. We were better than Nigeria in both halves. They were lucky to have picked a draw because we could easily have won. On the other hand I’m happy that we picked three points against this Nigerian team”, Baxter said at the post match interview.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
Joebie:

” I’m disappointed that we couldn’t win. We were better than Nigeria in both halves. They were lucky to have picked a draw because we could easily have won. On the other hand I’m happy that we picked three points against this Nigerian team”, Baxter said at the post match interview.

Chai!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 12:00am On Nov 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

You miss the key point. We deserve better football with the quality of our talents. Baxter with his tactics will have our players playing with more fluidity and intent.

Saying Baxter did not do well against other teams does not change the point that he will do better with more quality players.

The South Africans were the better side today when it comes to play. However, we had better quality players.

Finito.
All this because Nacho didn't play well today.

You just want to justify your statement that he will do well in a more offensive system, hahaha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:03am On Nov 18, 2018
andrew444:

But at least agbim was starting for his club

But I am yet to forgive Keshi for not taking brown ideye to the World Cup
Agbim too wasn't starting for his club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

A return to normalcy is worth celebrating.
Well said.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 12:10am On Nov 18, 2018
Taliban:

They may probably not be called up sir.

Of course,they don't think of that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KingTom(m): 12:11am On Nov 18, 2018
daveP:
Rohr good o

Rohr bad o

This one better pass am o

That one better pass o

All join

He is wack when it comes to substitutions that's what I see.

He should have at least protested from the sidelines for those wrong offside calls.

But like Wenger that has the same fist pounding celebrations for almost all arsenal goals, Rohr is now gradually being pictured in my mind as a standa make I dey look dey go kinda coach. he just keeps looking and looking. No reactions.

Na dem sabi.

Like everyone out there, the arsenal in this current crop of players can do better than what I'm seeing if their coach dey scream like Unai Emery for sideline.
So make e comot him clothes expose him 60 something year old yansh dey run round dey shout ojoro ojoro before una happy abi? make he protest offside calls from sidelines, when has protesting referee decisions from the sidelines ever changed anything? Make una no dey do like this na haba

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:12am On Nov 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

You still do not get it. South Africa were miles ahead of us in creative and tactical play. How that equates to Rohr being a better coach beats my imagination. With more quality players, we would have had a big problem on our hands. Worst of all is that we had the better quality players.
better tactically with one shot on target ok o I hear u goodnight

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:27am On Nov 18, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

Can you compare the quality of players available to Rohr to those available to Baxter?
is that why he couldn't beat Seychelles

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:31am On Nov 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

my guy bless you this is all I have been trying to say since
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 12:34am On Nov 18, 2018
Joebie:

He can vomit whatever balderdash he wants to. He should qualify against Libya away let's see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:06am On Nov 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Baxter would definitely have us playing better if he had our team and Rohr would definitely not get the South Africans playing as good as they did today with his kind of tactics.
they may not okay sleek, but will be effective. the eagles have not been easy on the eye but we must admit we've been effective
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:13am On Nov 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The South Africans were the better side both tactically and creatively even though his side had less quality. I think you are downplaying his importance to the team.
funny thing is, if you told South Africans you want to exchange coaches they won't think twice before jumping at the offer

(1) (2) (3) ... (5118) (5119) (5120) (5121) (5122) (5123) (5124) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joebie and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.