Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,218 members, 7,880,806 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12030135 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5207) (5208) (5209) (5210) (5211) (5212) (5213) ... (16410) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:17pm On Dec 07, 2018
DrLikita12:

Their new coach is Maikaba I think.

Yes, I don't know what Akwa was thinking on that one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:11am On Dec 08, 2018
Joebie:
His heart is with England obviously. I don’t know if NFF should have done better earlier. But when a player would rather play U21 football for the other country than play at the senior level for Nigeria, it says a lot about here their heart truly is. Same applies to Billing. You win some, u lose some. No hard feelings

Sometimes players consider the word integrity.

That means they will look how we have treated players in the past that have come from England and the amount of opportunity and longevity they were given.

The way Sone Aluko and Hope Akpan were treated comes to mind, but more so Aluko.

Talk is cheap actions past and present speak a lot louder than empty words, particularly where the NFF is concerned.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:19am On Dec 08, 2018
busky007:
in the case of Josh maja dat is not double standard. I rather invite a player with 2 goals in 5 games in ligue 1 than league 1 ( maja league)
Nobi u talk about vicinius and mbappe, so if maja is good l BET YOU he won't spend another season in farmer league .i even prefer odey
BTW what is the bond u have with fb

I would rather invite a player as a striker who is a top goal scorer in league one with 11 goals and counting than a player who has scored once in the EPL.

In other words give me a Lion from a lower league than a mouse in a higher league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:44am On Dec 08, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Let's try to put respek on League 1s name. It is a league of agricultural engineers grin

The league that the following players leap frogged straight into the EPL from.

Dele Alli, Ademola Lookman, Harry Maguire, Mason Holdgate, Rob Holding, Calvert Lewin, Kyle Walker, etc, etc, are all agricultural players according to your proposition, because they all went from league one straight to the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:49am On Dec 08, 2018
Joebie:
Southgate (I mean the actual one) should be farming on the league one then — consistently. Why wait till they make the mark in the EPL?

Generally speaking it's very rare for first team players to come from league one, on occasion the Championship.

But we are not England and we don't have many players proven and tested and outstanding in the top leagues Of Europe.

So we don't have the luxury of waiting for them to play first in the EPL before we start engaging them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:51am On Dec 08, 2018
The point is many players would not go through your preferred route of lower leagues in England, then the EPL. Many will just have to show that they can play at a high level, which Chukwueze has done. Samu’s route to the top is typical of other Nigerian players born in Nigeria. It’s impractical to expect them to go through the nationwide league, League two, league one, and the Championship to prove themselves.

komekn:

Generally speaking it's very rare for first team players to come from league one, on occasion the Championship.

But we are not England and we don't have many players proven and tested and outstanding in the top leagues Of Europe.

So we don't have the luxury of waiting for them to play first in the EPL before we start engaging them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:57am On Dec 08, 2018
How about the Nigerian academies and the grassroots that have produced the likes Okocha, Yekini, Oruma, adepoju, etc?

Those that u have mentioned had to start from somewhere in England - not the Regionaliga etc. Other countries have also produced great players from their lower leagues. It’s not unique to England.
komekn:

Dele Alli, Ademola Lookman, Harry Maguire, Mason Holdgate, Rob Holding, Calvert Lewin, Kyle Walker, etc, etc, are all agricultural players according to your proposition, because they all went from league one straight to the EPL.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbloke(m): 9:35am On Dec 08, 2018
komekn:

That means they will look how we have treated players in the past that have come from England and the amount of opportunity and longevity they were given.

The way Sone Aluko and Hope Akpan were treated comes to mind, but more so Aluko.

Talk is cheap actions past and present speak a lot louder than empty words, particularly where the NFF is concerned.

So now he is rejecting us because Nigeria lacks integrity. How convenient. Abeg just accept he doesn't consider Nigeria as a top choice and move on. Stop trying to make excuses for him rejecting us.

You've been shouting Josh Maja since. If the boy rejects Nigeria now, you'll say it is because NFF lacks integrity.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Chukwuemeka007(m): 10:00am On Dec 08, 2018
Ikechukwu Ezenwa joins Katsina United.

Source: Naija Made on SS9

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2018
Chukwuemeka007:

hope he got enuf games to play there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 08, 2018
What is the average salary of an NPFL player yearly?

How much do the best make?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:56am On Dec 08, 2018
komekn:

That does not change that the majority of the players there are agric engineers. That is why any young player can walk into the first team at any time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:57am On Dec 08, 2018
Chukwuemeka007:

At least he should be the undisputed number1 over there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:58am On Dec 08, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Godwin Obaje moves to Plateau United. They already picked up Bernard Ovoke, Sikiru Olatunbosun and Gabriel Wassa. Next season is going to be very tough if it ever gets on the way.
Hopefully Sikiru sees a place to flourish

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:01am On Dec 08, 2018
Danielnino00:
Meanwhile,I just watched the final of the women aiteo cup today..And seriously, the Yenagoa stadium pitch was looking good.. From what I gathered, the pitch in Yenagoa,Aba and one part of the north (katsina I think) are hybrid and were installed by the same company...

I really wish Akwa Ibom state govt and the ministry of sport can engage the company to do d same on the Uyo and Abuja stadium... We have a lot of stadium in this country with substandard pitches
I wish the two National Stadiums can be up & running

May sense not be far from NFF

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:46pm On Dec 08, 2018
kennysville:

EPL's Competitiveness is not the point we are raising here. Europeans play european style of soccer. We Africans have our identity. I could care less how many English players make a team. My point is English Premiership is not the be all and end all for soccer. I respect ur opinion. I just dont buy it. And you cant crucify folks for not seeing any sense in ur opinion. At the end of it all, opinions are just like noses.... everybody has got one

Nobody has said that football begins and ends in the EPL.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:06pm On Dec 08, 2018
Joebie:
The point is many players would not go through your preferred route of lower leagues in England, then the EPL. Many will just have to show that they can play at a high level, which Chukwueze has done. Samu’s route to the top is typical of other Nigerian players born in Nigeria. It’s impractical to expect them to go through the nationwide league, League two, league one, and the Championship to prove themselves.

Why would anybody expect that of Nigerian players to go to lower leagues of English football.

Firstly,, work permit rules wouldn't help matters.

Secondly, not all would survive the physicality and intensity of these leagues. I remember watching Elohor Ekpolo at Fleetwood Town struggling to get games or make an impact. A guy who spent almost a decade at Barcelona and played Barcelona B.

It's not pretty, technical pass and move football. It's not pretty and nice it's blood and guts, he was essentially lost.

Development is about maintaining and developing consistency at a top level. Maybe because in my time l have seen so many players promise and not deliver. So I am usually cautiously optimistic. I rarely hype and if I do there must be evidence over a period.

Ages ago l talked about Mousse Dembele as being exceptional it was alleged l was his uncle. Lol by some here.

Jerome Sinclair was one of the youngest to ever play for Liverpool. I admit that's it's very difficult for a young player to get opportunities in Liverpool. However, if you do your considered exceptional.

Well Jerome Sinclair was sold to Watford for £5 million a few years ago, I never rated him then, now he is struggling in league one with Sunderland
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:12pm On Dec 08, 2018
Odunayaw:

with the system you want NFF to shoulder the responsibility of the two stadia or what
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:17pm On Dec 08, 2018
komekn:

They won't see how Ikeme, Vic Moses, Iwobi are being treated, and how the home grown counterparts as well?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

That does not change that the majority of the players there are agric engineers. That is why any young player can walk into the first team at any time.

You may have accused me of being biased and parochial but I think you are more.

I appreciate each league for what they are with thier own unique attributes and requirements.

Your approach is superficial with no depth with regards to English football lower leagues.. You simply have no idea.

When you are use to triangles, ball to feet, through balls lots of 1/2 with give and goes, complemented with good referees, carpet like pitches. When that's your football experience and how you have been taught to play. When you come to lower leagues it will be a BAPTISM OF FIRE.

80 % of EPL academy players willl be lost at lower league level they simply will not survive. Most young players coming from higher clubs flop in the lower league football.

Those agricultural engineers, as you call them will break your legs, split your skull, barge you left right and center. Bully you off the pitch. Will never pass the ball cleanly to you, you will have to fight for every ball.There is no TLC here sorry.

In lower league the ball is not passed to you you have to fight for it. Why do you think when Harry Kane went on loan he went on multiple loans but he waa largely anonymous.

However, if you can somehow survive all that blood and guts, kick and rush and still play on the deck technical football. Coming to the EPL will be much much easier and you will stand out. It's a terrible training experience but out of adversity quality is created from those who strive to maintain quality.

That's why l really like Ebere Eze, dude is strong riding kung foo tackles, dodging hatchet men, but still maintaining technical superiority with skilful precision. How many games in the Championship and how many MOTM for him❓

It's very easy to look pretty in La Liga that's how they all play. Why do you think Pique was anonymous in Man U he couldn't cope with the intensity and physicality. Something that most African players should have no problem with.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2018
do4luv14:

with the system you want NFF to shoulder the responsibility of the two stadia or what
At least they can push the government; seeing that there's now hunger for the commodity they are selling
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:27pm On Dec 08, 2018
Odunayaw:

The abuja stadium should have privatized ages ago after that all Africa games. Our government don't know jack about maintenance. Even if the Abuja and Lagos stadiums are relocated, they might soon be abandoned again cus there are no professional clubs using the stadium..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by busky007: 2:33pm On Dec 08, 2018
I don't think we need a player that can break person leg
BTW if he is good at a team cuz of physicality. Hmmm we don't want
See Billings naaaa. That guy and yellow card na 5&6.he is not playing next 3 match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:03pm On Dec 08, 2018
As expected, Balogun starts for Brighton while Iwobi drops to the bench..

Meanwhile .we are cruising to the top of the table grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:05pm On Dec 08, 2018
Danielnino00:
As expected, Balogun starts for Brighton while Iwobi drops to the bench..

Meanwhile .we are cruising to the top of the table grin

Enjoy it while it last,Liverpool have been crowned Epl champions for the next 5 to 6 hours ,that's the only way you will win the Epl

Nothing bad in iwobi dropping to the bench ,he can't start all the games .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2018
andrew444:

Enjoy it while it last,Liverpool have been crowned Epl champions for the next 5 to 6 hours ,that's the only way you will win the Epl

Shhhhhhh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2018
If you are having a bad day...just remember Steve Cook against Salah today grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by busky007: 3:12pm On Dec 08, 2018
andrew444:

bad belle we dey top and ooo one season wonder don better pass bazard, see hattrick. I doubt city will win Chelsea easily
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:14pm On Dec 08, 2018
komekn:

You may have accused me of being biased and parochial but I think you are more.

I appreciate each league for what they are with thier own unique attributes and requirements.

Your approach is superficial with no depth with regards to English football lower leagues.. You simply have no idea.

When you are use to triangles, ball to feet, through balls lots of 1/2 with give and goes, complemented with good referees, carpet like pitches. When that's your football experience and how you have been taught to play. When you come to lower leagues it will be a BAPTISM OF FIRE.

80 % of EPL academy players willl be lost at lower league level they simply will not survive. Most young players coming from higher clubs flop in the lower league football.

Those agricultural engineers, as you call them will break your legs, split your skull, barge you left right and center. Bully you off the pitch. Will never pass the ball cleanly to you, you will have to fight for every ball.There is no TLC here sorry.

In lower league the ball is not passed to you you have to fight for it. Why do you think when Harry Kane went on loan he went on multiple loans but he waa largely anonymous.

However, if you can somehow survive all that blood and guts, kick and rush and still play on the deck technical football. Coming to the EPL will be much much easier and you will stand out. It's a terrible training experience but out of adversity quality is created from those who strive to maintain quality.

That's why l really like Ebere Eze, dude is strong riding kung foo tackles, dodging hatchet men, but still maintaining technical superiority with skilful precision. How many games in the Championship and how many MOTM for him❓

It's very easy to look pretty in La Liga that's how they all play. Why do you think Pique was anonymous in Man U he couldn't cope with the intensity and physicality. Something that most African players should have no problem with.

You have no point at the pique issue oga ,you think say people no dey watch ball ? You think you can just come here and tell lies ? Let me educate you on pique man united carrier

Pique was not anonymous at man united,pique was bought from la masia to man united at the age of 19 and you expected an inexperienced 19 year old with no professional football appearance to bench world class rio Ferdinand and nemanja vidic?

Stop making it look as if pique was given a chance in the Epl and he flopped because of intensity and physicality

The last time I checked john stones is not a physical player and he is doing well in the Epl ,the last time I checked aymeric laporte is a pique type of player and it only took him 2 days to adapt to the Epl after he arrived from Bilbao.

John stones and Aymeric Laporte who are not physical players have sent otamendi and kompany to the bench .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:17pm On Dec 08, 2018
busky007:
bad belle we dey top and ooo one season wonder don better pass bazard, see hattrick. I doubt city will win Chelsea easily

Lol

Broda I no dey among people wey dey call salah one season wonder o ,trust me ,I like salah wella

Hazard has always been an inconstitent player,I stand on my words ,a player that has never scored 20 league goals and you want me to take him serious ?

City will beat Chelsea ,but a draw at worst .

Comming from a Barca fan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:17pm On Dec 08, 2018
Danielnino00:

Shhhhhhh

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 3:29pm On Dec 08, 2018
I think Salah will win the APOTY award again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5207) (5208) (5209) (5210) (5211) (5212) (5213) ... (16410) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: trilacos, DrYa and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.