Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,072 members, 7,916,128 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 04:00 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (626) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12219049 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) (629) ... (16502) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:20am On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Thank God Iwobi played no part of that one.
but on a serious note..I applaud players for professionalism.cos if I should be a player and happens to find myself in that match ..I would have fought some.of my own players in that pitch angry

Even the coach wouldn't .. angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 3:56am On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Osimhen
who will you want to replace him with, odey? Or onyekuru? Or aluko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:12am On Mar 08, 2017
maidaboi:

Odey Kini

He should be replaced by Onyekuru..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:21am On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Odey Kini
He should be replaced by Onyekuru..
our nplf top scorer now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:27am On Mar 08, 2017
maidaboi:
our nplf top scorer now

I know, he was at the under 23 camp and he was dropped.. Osimhen went to the under 23 tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:37am On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

When u don't know something and u act as if u know and even go as far as making up details then u r lying. I am not just some bozo who likes to hear myself talk, this is something i know for a fact. I have given u as much proof and all u say is he got injured but Efe has not had a major injury in his career. I view this thread as a place where people come to get informed and educated, it is not about who wins an arguement. I do not agree with the lenghts at which u go to not be wrong.

Act as what. I will be honest, you are being funny. I have asked you repeatedly, show me the place I lied and you are here saying lying and lying. Did Ambrose not injure? Your so called point of Celtic rushing Ambrose back after he AFCON, causing Ambrose error being the reason Ambrose faded did not add up.

Ambrose was quality at the World Cup. I did not call you a liar. Get it. You gave your view. I disagreed and did not say you are acting as if you know. I pointed the World Cup.

You have made post showing Ambrose was good after the AFCON so called rushing back. You contradicted yourself but still adamant at calling me a liar.

Your rush back AFCON theory is weak. Every post you have made after that disproved that point you made.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:25am On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

I know, he was at the under 23 camp and he was dropped.. Osimhen went to the under 23 tournament.
that doesn't mean he is not good, its nigeria we know what can happen to a player when nigeria is concern
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:54am On Mar 08, 2017
maidaboi:

I say Aluko because he is playing at a high level and I feel he will offer more to the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:43am On Mar 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I say Aluko because he is playing at a high level and I feel he will offer more to the team.
any one amoung them is ok IMO outside this three i will be disappointed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:31am On Mar 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Act as what. I will be honest, you are being funny. I have asked you repeatedly, show me the place I lied and you are here saying lying and lying. Did Ambrose not injure? Your so called point of Celtic rushing Ambrose back after he AFCON, causing Ambrose error being the reason Ambrose faded did not add up.

Ambrose was quality at the World Cup. I did not call you a liar. Get it. You gave your view. I disagreed and did not say you are acting as if you know. I pointed the World Cup.

You have made post showing Ambrose was good after the AFCON so called rushing back. You contradicted yourself but still adamant at calling me a liar.

Your rush back AFCON theory is weak. Every post you have made after that disproved that point you made.

See there u go posting lies. I said he made an error after being rushed back into the lineup from the Afcon. I said Celtic fans started picking on him after that. Then i even posted an article of Efe talking about being booed by his own fans in Dublin. I gave articles to prove all this but then u say we shouldn't pay attention to articles but isn't that what this thread is about? U don't know what u are talking about and u are lying to seem relevant IMO. SHOW INJURY U NO WAN SHOW, SHOW INSTANCE OF HIM GETTING BEAT FOR PACE U NO WAN SHOW. LIES LIES LIES.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:35am On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

U are not winning the arguement with that one. If it was another coach selelcting I would agree but we all know Siasia is biased.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:40am On Mar 08, 2017
krattoss:
but on a serious note..I applaud players for professionalism.cos if I should be a player and happens to find myself in that match ..I would have fought some.of my own players in that pitch angry

Even the coach wouldn't .. angry

To me the ref decided that match. Arsenal should have had a penalty and the one bayern got was dubious. Then he gave a red card with the penalty, that ref should be sanctioned wat he did was bad for football as he stole what could gave been a great match from the world.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:46am On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Thank God Iwobi played no part of that one.
Walahi the English Press would have found one or two reasons to fault his contribution to Arsenals loss.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:50am On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

And you believe football works in that progression.

If Osimhen was picked ahead of Odey, it therefore, means he will always be ahead of Odey, even when Odey is banging in goals every now and then.

Some of your analysis on players for the past days are ........... Sir I am not understanding ooooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:56am On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

See there u go posting lies. I said he made an error after being rushed back into the lineup from the Afcon. I said Celtic fans started picking on him after that. Then i even posted an article of Efe talking about being booed by his own fans in Dublin. I gave articles to prove all this but then u say we shouldn't pay attention to articles but isn't that what this thread is about? U don't know what u are talking about and u are lying to seem relevant IMO. SHOW INJURY U NO WAN SHOW, SHOW INSTANCE OF HIM GETTING BEAT FOR PACE U NO WAN SHOW. LIES LIES LIES.

Definitely one of the worst behaviors I have read on this thread and honestly frightening when it comes from one of the old Bridgade members. Disappointed in you.

You can disagree without saying lies but you chose to tow in such poor behavior.

You have proved nothing. You blamed Celtic for Ambrose loss of form and posted an article Ambrose said it did not get to him. You, not me said Ambrose has faded and pinned it on Celtic. I disagreed and pinned it on his injury.

So where is the lie. You are bigger than this. Stop putting your bruised ego over a debate. You have not shown a proof of Celtic causing Ambrose to fade.

You came up with the AFCON title as the time table. It is a clear fact that it is wrong because Ambrose had a good World Cup over a year after that period.

You can keep throwing your toys out of the pram.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:57am On Mar 08, 2017
It is gradually becoming clearer that the national team handlers are using a yardstick best known to them for selecting players for national team duties. Rohr and his technical crew can't tell me they were not aware of Osimhen and Isaac's fitness issues before inviting them for the two friendlies.

Wolfsburg Osimhen Undergoes Surgery , Ruled Out Of Super Eagles Friendlies

According to reports gathered by Owngoalnigeria.com Victor Osimhen has been ruled out of the Super Eagles friendly games against Senegal and Burkina Faso later in the month.

The 18 year underwent surgery in Germany and will now miss 12 weeks, which effectively rules him out of the season and also any national team assignment for same period of time .

His inclusion in the list of 25 players caused a whole lot of controversy as he is yet to make his professional debut for German side Wolfsburg since his transfer became official few months ago.

He has suffered so many injury setback, the club was left with no option but to make him go under the knife in a bid to find a permanent solution to his injury problems.

A replacement is yet to be called up for him by coach Gernot Rohr who has been told about the injury suffered by the top scorer at the last U-17 World Youth Championship in Chile.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/07/wolfsburg-osimhen-undergoes-surgery-ruled-out-of-super-eagles-friendlies/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:58am On Mar 08, 2017
Wenger Reveals Why Alex Iwobi Was Dropped From Arsenal Matchday Squad Against Bayern Munich

Manager of Arsenal Arsene Wenger has revealed the reason behind the exclusion of Nigerian forward Alex Iwobi from his matchday squad for tonight’s clash against Bayern Munich with the Gunners trailing 1-5 from the first leg in Munich.

Iwobi was surprisingly not listed in the matchday squad and according to the Arsenal manager Wenger, the 20 year old called in sick in the early hours of today , leaving him with no option than to leave him out of the squad.

His spot in the team has been taken by German midfielder Mesut Ozil who starts on the bench despite Wenger saying earlier that he doesn’t expect him to be in the squad as he has only trained once.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/07/wenger-reveals-why-alex-iwobi-was-dropped-from-arsenal-matchday-squad-against-bayern-munich/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:59am On Mar 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Definitely one of the worst behaviors I have read on this thread and honestly frightening when it comes from one of the old Bridgade members. Disappointed in you.

You can disagree without saying lies but you chose to tow in such poor behavior.

You have proved nothing. You blamed Celtic for Ambrose loss of form and posted an article Ambrose said it did not get to him. You, not me said Ambrose has faded and pinned it on Celtic. I disagreed and pinned it on his injury.

So where is the lie. You are bigger than this. Stop putting your bruised ego over a debate. You have not shown a proof of Celtic causing Ambrose to fade.

You came up with the AFCON title as the time table. It is a clear fact that it is wrong because Ambrose had a good World Cup over a year after that period.

You can keep throwing your toys out of the pram.

Please cry me a river. Believe wat u want, I can't let u waste my life with lies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:00pm On Mar 08, 2017
I repeat there was no need calling Osimhen and Success for the upcoming friendlies.

We have enough fit and active players both home and abroad for their various positions.

I hope one cabal is not trying to pour sand in our Garri.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:29pm On Mar 08, 2017
Aluko Grabs Assist As Ikeme, Akpeyi Keep Clean Sheets; Akpan Returns

By Johnny Edward:

Nigerian forward Sone Aluko made his 35th Championship appearance for Fulham who were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Leeds United at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night.

Aluko, who has scored six goals this season for Fulham, played the full game and set up his side's late equaliser.

Tom Cairney scored stunning stoppage-time equaliser to extend Fulham's unbeaten run to six games.Tim Ream had earlier scored an own goal in the fifth minute.

At Portman Road, Nigeria's first choice goalkeeper Carl Ikeme kept his eighth clean sheet of the season for Wolverhampton Wanderers who played out a 0-0 away to Ipswich Town.

Ikeme and his teammates are just one points ahead of the bottom three, though with two outstanding games to play.

This season Ikeme has made 27 appearances in the English Championship conceding 33 goals.

At Ewood Park, Hope Akpan returned to action after serving a suspension in Blackburn Rovers' 1-1 draw at home to Cardiff City. The Nigerian international replaced Danny Guthrie in the 66th minute of the encounter.

In the South African Absa Premiership, Daniel Akpeyi kept his sixth clean sheet of the season in goal for Chippa United who were held to a 0-0 draw by Bidvest Wits.

Akpeyi who has been called up for this month's international friendly matches against Senegal and Burkina Faso in London has made 21 appearances for Chippa United who are ninth in the league.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/%e2%80%8baluko-grabs-assist-ikeme-akpeyi-keep-clean-sheets-akpan-returns/#1SW0gCt0IcHDWZ5G.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
Agboola praises Iwobi

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4971267_img20170308130148689_jpeg04a55b0bf5f6b5b53eac31fa4c9f5635

Former Nigeria defender Reuben Agboola has praised Alex Iwobi’s decision to play for Nigeria ahead of England.

Agboola told supersport.com, “I take my hats off to (Alex) Iwobi for choosing to play for Nigeria.”

Agboola only visited Nigeria for the first time when he arrived to play for the Super Eagles in 1991.

“It is difficult I know. Especially when you have never visited the country before; when you hear of the instability in the federation and in the coaching set up.”

“These things affect the minds of young players but that’s why I am very impressed with Iwobi. He plays for Arsenal but chose to play for the Eagles. Good for him I say”.

Agboola who combines his personal business of car sales with hospitality speaking at the St Mary’s Stadium of Southampton on match days wishes he had played for Nigeria earlier.

He said, “It was only after I had started playing for Nigeria that it was revealed to me that Nigerian had first approached Southampton when I was younger but (Lawrie) McMenemy rebuffed the approach and never told me about it.”

It would have been something to have had a younger, faster Agboola playing for Nigeria. “what hurts most is not being told about it so that I would have made the decision myself.”

http://punchng.com/agboola-praises-iwobi/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:40pm On Mar 08, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

And you believe football works in that progression.

If Osimhen was picked ahead of Odey, it therefore, means he will always be ahead of Odey, even when Odey is banging in goals every now and then.

Some of your analysis on players for the past days are ........... Sir I am not understanding ooooo

Before Odey, Gambo Muhammad and Obaje were the highest scorers in the league. Obaje could not pass a trial in Spartak Moscow. Even though, our league is improving, our players are not passing trials at obscure clubs. I am not sold on the top scorers of the Nigerian league.

Osimhen trained with Wolfsburg and was given a professional contract, he is one of the three strikers in their first team list. If he did not meet the grade, he would not have been given a professional contract and named in the first team.

Our top league players are going to north Africa and failing trials in obscure leagues.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:41pm On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U are not winning the arguement with that one. If it was another coach selelcting I would agree but we all know Siasia is biased.

I agree but what makes Odey so good? We have had Obaje, Gambo Muhammad etc in the past.. Very few have impressed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:51pm On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

I agree but what makes Odey so good? We have had Obaje, Gambo Muhammad etc in the past.. Very few have impressed.

But nobody has impressed at striker in years. U can't put that on NPFL strikers, even strikers in Europe have fail to live up to expectations.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:55pm On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Before Odey, Gambo Muhammad and Obaje were the highest scorers in the league. Obaje could not pass a trial in Spartak Moscow. Even though, our league is improving, our players are not passing trials at obscure clubs. I am not sold on the top scorers of the Nigerian league.

Osimhen trained with Wolfsburg and was given a professional contract, he is one of the three strikers in their first team list. If he did not meet the grade, he would not have been given a professional contract and named in the first team.

Our top league players are going to north Africa and failing trials in obscure leagues.
@the bolded
To you that is why he should be picked ahead of others even when his fitness is in doubt?
God we have a Country

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:58pm On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

The Russian league is not an obscure league and Spartak Moscow is a big club who have a 5 point lead at the top of the table.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The Russian league is not an obscure league and Spartak Moscow is a big club who have a 5 point lead at the top of the table.

Ok, let us say, it isn't.. It is not amongst the top leagues. The top scorer in the Nigerian League should be getting in even if not first choice. Chisom Egbuchulam, who I rated very highly ended up in Sweden and the only other option was Tunisia .

Why are clubs in top leagues, signing academy players and not going for our league players? Gbolahan Salami is also in Finland after several European misadventures.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:08pm On Mar 08, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

@the bolded
To you that is why he should be picked ahead of others even when his fitness is in doubt?
God we have a Country

No, if Osimhen is not fit, he should be dropped. But I am not sold on Odey.. Onyekuru, Aluko, Samuel Kalu etc should be brought in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:11pm On Mar 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ok, let us say, it isn't.. It is not amongst the top leagues. The top scorer in the Nigerian League should be getting in even if not first choice. Chisom Egbuchulam, who I rated very highly ended up in Sweden and the only other option was Tunisia .

Why are clubs in top leagues, signing academy players and not going for our league players? Gbolahan Salami is also in Finland after several European misadventures.

Those players you mentioned were not as young as Odey. Most European Clubs prefer to sign players who are in their teens so as to recoup their investment. That does not mean players from the NPFL are not good. It is a matter of preference age wise and not about quality.

Stephen Odey is very young and looks promising too.

For now I rate him higher than Osimhen. I get am before no be property. Odey is the real deal Now and not Osimhen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:13pm On Mar 08, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

But nobody has impressed at striker in years. U can't put that on NPFL strikers, even strikers in Europe have fail to live up to expectations.

Agreed..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:24pm On Mar 08, 2017
terzurum5:
NFF Technical Committee -Why Osimhen Was Preferred Ahead Of Odey By Gernot Rohr

The reason why the top scorer in the Nigeria Professional Football League Stephen Odey was left out by coach Gernot Rohr has been revealed by a member of the technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

Odey who took his goal tally to seven for the season with the winning goal for MFM in their 1-0 win over Remo Stars yesterday, was the one player many expected to be included in the Eagles squad for the friendly tie against Senegal and Burkina Faso.

The exclusion of the NPFL top scorer made former Nigeria international Emmanuel Babayaro to lash out at the Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, insisting that the 18 year old deserve to be in the squad ahead of Wolfsburg Victor Osimhen.

However a member of the technical committee of the NFF told Owngoalnigeria.com that the exclusion of Odey was done in good faith without favoritism by the Eagles coach.

” It’s okay to criticise the list of a national team coach, but we all know that every player can’t be called up at the same time . Osimhen has been part of Rohr’s plan from the start of his reign as coach”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Odey will be given a chance by the coach in the future, for now Osimhen has the edge over him. We have to understand how Rohr works, he is a progressive, Osimhen time will come”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/06/nff-technical-committee-why-osimhen-was-preferred-ahead-of-odey-by-gernot-rohr/

That is just the answer to all these calls for Onyekuru, Odey, Idowu, Otigba, Adi, Kayode and co.

So this Odey is 18? And somebody tells me Amuneke threw his U20 Camp open.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:25pm On Mar 08, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

Those players you mentioned were not as young as Odey. Most European Clubs prefer to sign players who are in their teens so as to recoup their investment. That does not mean players from the NPFL are not good. It is a matter of preference age wise and not about quality.

Stephen Odey is very young and looks promising too.

For now I rate him higher than Osimhen. I get am before no be property. Odey is the real deal Now and not Osimhen.

Odey is relatively young, Do you think, he will be given a contract with the first team if he had a trial with wolfsburg?

I know there is quality in the league but very few players progress/improve in the league. The quality of football is improving but there is still some ways to go. We were all here when Manu under 20 team ran rings around Kano Pillars and Enyimba players...

That is why i want Nwobodo out of there soon.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) (629) ... (16502) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins, Tessyy1701, kellycute(m), AndSunGorilla, typicalgamer(m), Kog45(m), mostob(m), Bannedlargejr and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.