Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,929 members, 7,872,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (629) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11988888 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (626) (627) (628) (629) (630) (631) (632) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
lakesidepapa:

Indeed, Kayode might be our solution to the problem in front of goal.

Pls how many goal does he score this season?

No, I dnt think so.
He may be a good inclusion to the squad though.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:13pm On Mar 09, 2017
My take is this. Some players are exceptional and it doesn't matter if they play at home or abroad. We cannot follow a general trend as regards how home based players do not eventually meet up to group all home based players as not ready to play for Nigeria until they prove themselves in Europe. I like what Rohr is doing. All the coach needs to do is watch NPFL games. A coach will know a star when he sees one irrespective of where the player plays. I think the solution to our defense problem is in the domestic league. Because many of our domestic defenders have not been going to Europe over the years compared to their counterparts in the other departments of play. The likes of Oboabona provided a short term solution. At least that's good enough to help us qualify for the world cup.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:14pm On Mar 09, 2017
lakesidepapa:

Indeed, Kayode might be our solution to the problem in front of goal.

Pls how many goal does he score this season?
8 League goals.

The last time he scored was in December last year.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4110/nigerians-abroad/2017/03/06/33358112/austria-wiens-kayode-scores-first-league-goal-in-three
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:16pm On Mar 09, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:18pm On Mar 09, 2017
Kelechi Iheanacho Fires Blanks as Stoke Hold Man City

[img]https://3.bp..com/-SqqkxYZHFHw/WMDtARMuNlI/AAAAAAAADQQ/1wK-yx8r57I4cYm3DdUtPiYoCSDyTCHkwCLcB/s1600/Kelechi-Iheanacho.jpg[/img]

Manchester City failed to take the advantage and go second after they were held to a goalless draw by Stoke City.

Manchester City failed to climb to second on the Premier League table after they were held to a goalless draw at the Etihad Stadium by Stoke City on Wednesday.

Pep Guardiola’s men had the chance to go second, but failed to beat a very resilient Stoke side, but they are now level on points with Tottenham in second.

Mame Biram Diouf started the game with a chance, as early as the sixth minute, but goalkeeper Willy Caballero was on hand to save City’s blushes. But after that, the Citizens grew into the game and passed the ball around nicely.

Leroy Sane looked dangerous for Guardiola’s side, but there were few chances created by either side, even though the Manchester club enjoyed possession.

Manchester City were still strong in possession, but it was a problem breaking down Stoke’s resilience. Guardiola and his team knew the importance of winning this one, as it would catapult them to second on the table.

But it wasn’t to be, and not even the introduction of Kelechi Iheanacho could change the scoreline, although, the Nigerian went close late on, but nothing would come from it as City failed to win at the Etihad Stadium.

http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/03/kelechi-iheanacho-fires-blanks-as-stoke.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:23pm On Mar 09, 2017
Joebie:
My take is this. Some players are exceptional and it doesn't matter if they play at home or abroad. We cannot follow a general trend as regards how home based players do not eventually meet up to group all home based players as not ready to play for Nigeria until they prove themselves in Europe. I like what Rohr is doing. All the coach needs to do is watch NPFL games. A coach will know a star when he sees one irrespective of where the player plays. I think the solution to our defense problem is in the domestic league. Because many of our domestic defenders have not been going to Europe over the years compared to their counterparts in the other departments of play. The likes of Oboabona provided a short term solution. At least that's good enough to help us qualify for the world cup.

You made some valid points here.

In particular for young players. I have personally learnt not to write-off young players playing in the NPFL. Though, I have a cut-off age. For me, any player 25 and above still in the NPFL is a write-off.

Some players are fortunate to have some good representatives and they move to Europe even before they play U17. Some will move after playing for the Golden Eaglets or Flying Eagles. But there are still some that would have to work extra very hard to impress a lot of people before they make the move.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:23pm On Mar 09, 2017
Iheanacho Breaks Silence On Rivalry With Gabriel Jesus And Bit Part Role At Man City

Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho has for the first time spoken out about his predicament at the club, where he has been reduced to a bit part player since the coming of Gabriel Jesus.

The Nigerian made a goal scoring return to the City squad with a goal in their FA Cup replay against Huddersfield, but was still not considered good enough to force his way into the team for their last weekend tie against Sunderland.

Yesterday he however got to play and almost scored a late winner but failed to connect a ball from Kevin De Bruyne. He is however keen on moving away from the loss and also urged his teammates to focus on their next game.

Speaking after yesterday’s game, he also told the club official website about his eagerness to see Gabriel Jesus back in action, even though it will mean limited playing time for him.

“Everyone in our team can deliver – those on the bench and those playing.

“If you are called upon to come into a game to make something and help the team to win, you to put everything in 100 per cent to make sure the team win.

“Unfortunately we couldn’t do it today”, he told the club official website Mancity.com.

“We are happy to have everyone around. Kun is doing well, Gabriel is doing well. I hope for him [Jesus] to recover quickly so he can come in the team because we really need him.

“We work together as a team. We need everyone as a team for us to get something after this season.

“Sergio is brilliant and has been doing really well. We hope to see more of that soon.

“On my part, any time I am in I need to give 100 per cent because everyone is important in the team.

“I think I have really done well [so far in my career] but everyone needs to improve. I need to keep working and keep improving. I have so many things to improve on. I need to keep learning.”

* Osas Mahawi

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/09/iheanacho-breaks-silence-on-rivalry-with-gabriel-jesus-and-bit-part-role-at-man-city/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:25pm On Mar 09, 2017
terzurum5:
Iheanacho Breaks Silence On Rivalry With Gabriel Jesus And Bit Part Role At Man City

Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho has for the first time spoken out about his predicament at the club, where he has been reduced to a bit part player since the coming of Gabriel Jesus.

The Nigerian made a goal scoring return to the City squad with a goal in their FA Cup replay against Huddersfield, but was still not considered good enough to force his way into the team for their last weekend tie against Sunderland.

Yesterday he however got to play and almost scored a late winner but failed to connect a ball from Kevin De Bruyne. He is however keen on moving away from the loss and also urged his teammates to focus on their next game.

Speaking after yesterday’s game, he also told the club official website about his eagerness to see Gabriel Jesus back in action, even though it will mean limited playing time for him.

“Everyone in our team can deliver – those on the bench and those playing.

“If you are called upon to come into a game to make something and help the team to win, you to put everything in 100 per cent to make sure the team win.

“Unfortunately we couldn’t do it today”, he told the club official website Mancity.com.

“We are happy to have everyone around. Kun is doing well, Gabriel is doing well. I hope for him [Jesus] to recover quickly so he can come in the team because we really need him.

“We work together as a team. We need everyone as a team for us to get something after this season.

“Sergio is brilliant and has been doing really well. We hope to see more of that soon.

“On my part, any time I am in I need to give 100 per cent because everyone is important in the team.

“I think I have really done well [so far in my career] but everyone needs to improve. I need to keep working and keep improving. I have so many things to improve on. I need to keep learning.”

* Osas Mahawi

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/09/iheanacho-breaks-silence-on-rivalry-with-gabriel-jesus-and-bit-part-role-at-man-city/

Whoever is managing this boy, he is doing a good job. grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2017
Exclusive – Rohr Hands First Time Call Up To AZ Alkmaar Striker Fred Friday

Dutch based Nigerian forward Fred Friday has been called up to the Super Eagles squad for the friendly games against Senegal and Burkina Faso, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

He will be named in a revised squad which will be released later today by coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr, as a replacement for one player who has reportedly withdrew from the game due to injury.

Fred has been in fine form in the Dutch league for AZ Alkmaar and Rohr has been keeping a close watch on the former Lillestroem man since his goal in an Europa League game earlier this season.

This is the first time that the 21 year old will be called up to any arm of the Nigeria national team since he turned professional three years ago, when he moved to Norway.

His inclusion brings the number of fresh call ups for the Senegal and Burkina Faso games to two, following the naming of Olarenwaju Kayode by the coach as a replacement for the injured Victor Osimhen.

Daniel Martins.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/09/exclusive-rohr-hands-first-time-call-up-to-az-alkmaar-striker-fred-friday/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:30pm On Mar 09, 2017
Iheanacho Targets Showpiece Game At Wembley, Chelsea & Man Utd Strong Teams

Kelechi Iheanacho has been previewing Manchester City’s upcoming game against Middlesbrough in the Emirates FA Cup.

The Nigeria international is aware that the Citizens will be booking a Wembley berth should they see off The Boro at
Riverside Stadium on Saturday and thinks the game is like a final.

“It is a big game on Saturday against Middlesbrough,” Iheanacho told Man City’s official website.

“It is a final for us to play. We have to go there to play the good football that we can do and we hope to get the win that we need so we have got a trip to Wembley for the semi-finals.”

Five of the top six teams in the Premier League, including Manchester United and Chelsea, are still in the race to win the FA Cup, but Iheanacho fancies Man City’s chances of adding to their silverware collection nonetheless.

The City number 72 added : “There are strong teams in the FA Cup, of course - Chelsea and Manchester United play.

“We need to keep working hard and believe in ourselves and of course, if we work hard, we are going to win.”

At the start of this month, the Super Eagles rising star was on target in the fifth round decider against Huddersfield after coming on as a substitute.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22311

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2017
Super Eagles Coach Rohr Receives Bad News On Iwobi From Arsenal

Alex Iwobi is doubtful to suit up for Arsenal when they face Lincoln City in the quarterfinal of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday, March 11.

The Nigeria international had to pull out of the squad that were hammered 5-1 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League due to illness, and Gunners manager Wenger has hinted that he has not yet recovered.

“I believe that we have two uncertainties: Welbeck, who had to come off after the warm-up against Bayern due to sickness, and Iwobi, who on the day of the game couldn’t turn up as well due to the same problem, ” Arsene Wenger said to arsenal.com.

The Hale End Academy product has been named in the latest Super Eagles squad for their upcoming international friendlies with Senegal and Burkina Faso in London.

Assuming Iwobi recovers on time, he would have played a maximum of two games for Arsenal in March, best-case scenario, before the meeting with the West African opponents.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22310
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:34pm On Mar 09, 2017
Nigeria Star Troost-Ekong Reveals: Liverpool, Man City Wanted To Sign Me

Super Eagles defender William Troost-Ekong has revealed that Liverpool and Manchester City were interested in his signature before his transfer to Tottenham Hotspur.

Born to a Nigerian father and Dutch mom, the Gent star has suggested that the White Hart Lane outfit were more aggressive in their approach to sign him than their Premier League rivals.

“I had already gone to City but not to Liverpool yet. I had in fact been selected for Tottenham Hotspur, ” Troost-Ekong said in the latest edition of Elf Voetbal.

“The club did everything to attract me. They flew my mother to London for talks and even wanted to fly to Nigeria to look for my father.

“They came to my school to arrange that I would rather have one day a week to train with older boys, and every day I was picked up with a taxi.”

Troost-Ekong, 23, joined Gent in July 2015 after stops at FC Groningen and FC Dordrecht.

The former Netherlands U20 international will be returning to familiar surroundings in the next two weeks when the Super Eagles take on Senegal at the Hive Stadium before facing Burkina Faso.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22309
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:35pm On Mar 09, 2017
Emenalo Gives Green Light For Chelsea Whizkid Abraham To Return To Bristol City

England U21 international Tammy Abraham is set to return to action for Bristol City when they trade tackles with Wigan Athletic in the Championship on Saturday.

The Chelsea loanee has not played competitively since picking up a thigh injury in the 2-1 loss to Leeds United, and had to return to Stamford Bridge to undergo treatment.

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson had been in contract with retired Nigeria international Michael Emenalo, who is the head of football development at Chelsea, and the medical team before they sanctioned the return of Abraham.

“It’s great to have Tammy back through the door and available, ” Johnson said, according to Bristol Post.

“He has been a really important player for us this season and his return will give everybody in the camp a lift.”

Abraham, who has netted 21 goals for the Robins in all competitions, is expected to train with the first-team squad on Thursday morning.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22307
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by otezu5: 2:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
Barcelona Watch Chelsea FB Moses Against West Ham, Iwobi Misses Chance To Show Off

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4976594_moses_jpeged9c7331540af51882454bf97f7347df

Barcelona higher-ups were at the London Stadium on Monday night for the Premier League encounter between West Ham and Chelsea.

Celebrated Spanish sports daily Marca has reported that sporting director Robert Fernandez and scout Urbano Ortega were among the 56,984 spectators at the London Stadium.

Victor Moses, who was linked with a move to Barcelona before extending his contract last week, started for the Blues and gave a good account of himself before he was replaced in the 75th minute.

However, the Spanish newspaper has speculated that the La Liga champions came to observe Cesar Azpilicueta, Marcos Alonso and Nemanja Matic at close quarters, and not the Nigeria international.

Another Super Eagles star Alex Iwobi missed the opportunity to display his wares when Fernandez and Ortega visited the Emirates Stadium for the Champions League meeting between Arsenal and Bayern Munich due to illness.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22306

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by otezu5: 2:49pm On Mar 09, 2017
Hannover Talent Bazee Struggling To Overcome Knee Injury Ahead Of Senegal Friendly

Hannover striker Noah Joel Sarenren Bazee, 20, is struggling to overcome a knee injury ahead of a potential debut against Senegal in about two weeks time.

With Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr reportedly watching from the stands, the Stadthagen-born youngster had to be substituted after 58 minutes in last weekend’s defeat at Karlsruher because of a minor knee problem.

Because of that ailment, Sarenren Bazee sat out training on Tuesday but the good news is that he trained fully with the squad on Wednesday.

Days leading up to the clash against KSC, the Hannover coach had been sweating on his fitness but he recovered in time.

Of a possible 23 games in the 2 Bundesliga, Bazee has only 11 appearances under his belt, having missed the first ten games of the season because of an operation.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22303
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:43pm On Mar 09, 2017
“I think I have really done well [so far in my career] but everyone needs to improve. I need to keep working and keep improving. I have so many things to improve on. I need to keep learning."...Kelechi Iheanacho

I really like Nacho's attitude towards developing as a player. As long as he gives his best in improving, he will keep getting better. I can not wait for him to have a run of games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 4:48pm On Mar 09, 2017
Icon4s:

No, I dnt think so.
He may be a good inclusion to the squad though.

He wants to prove a point and yes he might be the solution to the problem, watch outm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:51pm On Mar 09, 2017
lakesidepapa:

He wants to prove a point and yes he might be the solution to the problem, watch outm

I cannot raise my hope on this player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by otezu5: 4:55pm On Mar 09, 2017
Oliseh: I’ll Tell My Grandkids About Historic Barcelona Miracle

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Former Super Eagles captain and coach Sunday Oliseh has lavished praises on Spanish giants Barcelona who qualified for the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League after overcoming a 4-0 first leg defeat to advance 6-5 on aggregate following their 6-1 win in the second leg of their round of 16 tie on Wednesday night.

Oliseh who currently coaches Dutch second-tier club Fortuna Sittard tweeted his feelings about the reversal of the tie between Barcelona and PSG moments after the match.

“This Barcelona 6-1 victory is one game that I will tell my grand kids about if God permits,” former Ajax, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund star Oliseh tweeted.

“I don’t think there has been a game like this.”

Barcelona defied history by reaching the quarterfinals Wednesday night by overturning a 4-0 first leg disadvantage in Paris, the first team in Champions League history to advance after suffering that massive first leg defeat.

Edison Cavani’s goal was not enough as Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi, Neymar (brace), Sergi Roberto and an own goal by Layvin Kurzawa ensured the Blaugrana will be among the last eight sides left in the UEFA Champions League.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/59941-2/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by otezu5: 4:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
Bafana Bafana Name Squad For Guinea-Bissau, Angola Friendlies Ahead Nigeria Clash

Stand-in South Africa's Bafana Bafana coach, Owen da Gama, has announced a 25-man squad to play against Guinea-Bissau and Angola in back-to-back international friendly matches later in the month as they prepare to face Nigeria's Super Eagles when the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers start in June, Completesportsnigeria.com
reports.

It’s a mix of experience and youth, which also saw the return of those who were blacklisted by former coach Ephraim Mashaba.

In the first tune-up match, South Africa will take on African Wild Dogs (Guinea-Bissau) on Saturday, 25 March 2017at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban.

Bafana Bafana will then face the Palacas Negras (Angola) in the second fixture which will be played on Tuesday, 28 March 2017at a venue to be confirmed soon

Da Gama named three debutants, Lorenzo Gordinho (Kaizer Chiefs), Phakamani Mahlambi (Bidvest Wits) and Luther Singh (SC Braga, Portugal).

There is also a recall for Kamohelo Mokotjo (FC Twente, Netherlands) and Kermit Erasmus (Lens, France), while goalkeepers Shuaib Walters (Cape Town City) and Darren Keet (Bidvest Wits) and striker Lebohang Manyama (Cape Town City) also make a return after a long absence.

“It is important to give as many players a chance as possible. The national team hasn’t been active since November in 2016 – that’s a six month break – so our mission is to prepare a team that will tackle the upcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup and 2019 AFCON qualifiers," Da Gama told Supersport.com.

"We want to assemble the best possible squad and create a healthy, competitive spirit within the team,” Da Gama added.

Da Gama underlined the importance of the team's fixtures against Nigeria when the 2019 AFCON qualifiers kick off.

The two continental giants missed the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations which Cameroon won in Gabon.

“I have been put in charge for these two games, and we will give as many players a run so that come the qualifiers we are not found wanting.”

Mahlambi and Singh are key players in the South African U-20 men’s national team (Amajita).
They have been rewarded for their great performances for both club and country.

The duo was instrumental in helping Amajita qualify for the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup that will be played in South Korea in May.

The long term aspiration of the team was reflected in Da Gama's revelation when he spoke on the need to blood the young ones in the team.

“Vision 2022 is all about having a team ready for the future, and that is why we have mixed experience with youth.

"It is crucial that we bring in these youngsters as early as now so they can have the experience needed when the time comes. We will monitor them during the camp and see how they cope and will take it from there, but there is a likelihood that they could feature in one of the matches because we want to see what they can offer when taken to a higher level," Supersport.com further quoted the tactician as saying.

"For far too long we have always waited for players to be 25 and want to introduce them to the senior national team, but that has to change now – we need to expose the vast array of talent we have in our country,” Da Gama concluded.

Bafana Bafana will assemble for their camp on Sunday, 19 Marchin Johannesburg before travelling the next day ( Monday, 20 March) to Durban.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/bafana-bafana-name-squad-guinea-bissau-angola-friendlies-ahead-nigeria-clash/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 5:06pm On Mar 09, 2017
Icon4s:

I cannot raise my hope on this player.

That's why i used "might'. He want to do very well and if he eventually do, he will catch the attention of the german.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by otezu5: 5:11pm On Mar 09, 2017
Iwobi Doubtful For Arsenal’s FA Cup Clash Vs Lincoln

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has revealed, ahead of their Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup quarter-final match against Lincoln City that young Nigeria international, Alex Iwobi, has no confirmeded role in the game, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

Wenger who has been under lots of criticisms following the Gunners' lacklustre performances of late is quoted by Arsenal.com Thursday morning as saying the midfielder may have been hit by a sickness bug which stopped him from playing in the club's 5-1 defeat against Bayern Munich in the reverse leg of their Champions League fixtures.

Bayern advanced to the quarter-finals of the competition 10-2 on aggregate after an identical first leg result in Munich.

"I believe that we have two uncertainties: Danny Welbeck, who had to come off after the warm-up against Bayern due to sickness, and Alex Iwobi, who on the day of the game couldn’t turn up as well due to the same problem. Everyone else should be available," Winger said.

"It is possible, yes that the team has a sickness bug. We have a little problem on that front. I don’t know if it is a bug or not.

"They (medical crew of the team) called me on the morning of the game and said Iwobi cannot play and Welbeck at 5pm in the afternoon felt sick. We still tried to play him but it could be a bug, I don’t know."

The manager is likely to ring some changes to his side and Iwobi, if fielded, may not be able to play full time.

"I have always decided to play the team that has a good chance to qualify, and I will continue to do that of course.

Wenger however insists only the club doctors will determine how the supposed sickness bug will be stopped.

Iwobi was the target of Arsenal fans on Twitter after what they termed an average performance against Liverpool in their last Premier League game which the Gunners lost 3-1.

The Arsenal versus Lincoln game in the Emirates FA Cup kicks off 6.30pm Nigerian time on Saturday

www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobi-doubtful-arsenals-fa-cup-clash-vs-lincoln/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by otezu5: 5:13pm On Mar 09, 2017
Okunowo: Rohr’s Squad For Senegal, Burkina Faso Friendlies Perfect

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:

Former Nigeria defender Gbenga Okunowo has urged Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr to take the two upcoming international friendly games with Senegal and Burkina Faso in London seriously and go for victories, Completesportsnigeria.com
reports.

Okunowo told Complete Sports that winning both games later this month will enhance Super Eagles' position in the FIFA rankings and give Nigeria in the right mentality to face their Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in June.

Despite complaints about some of the players included in and excluded from the squad for the friendlies, Okunowo is fully backing Rohr's choices.

"I am impressed with the list of players Rohr invited for the two international games in London and I believe the boys are capable of winning the two games," ex-Barcelona player Okunowo said.

"People should not criticise the coach over his selection, we should support Rohr to get the World Cup ticket

"The coach knows what he wants and it is only proper we allow him to do his work and get the results that will ensure that we get the World Cup ticket and progress in theAFCON qualifiers. They should allow him to concentrate and deliver."

On the home based Eagles not being selected for the two games in London, Okunowo said: "The domestic league players must work hard to meet the coach's standard and take their chance when it comes."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/okunowo-rohrs-squad-senegal-burkina-faso-friendlies-perfect/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:16pm On Mar 09, 2017
If Iwobi drops out of the friendly, i hope one of Aluko or Onyekuru is called up.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 5:19pm On Mar 09, 2017
Icon4s:

Whoever is managing this boy, he is doing a good job. grin
I was shocked when I saw that part. All those calling for him to leave are wasting their time because he is satisfied with playing from the bench at times and most times not playing at all shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:20pm On Mar 09, 2017
lakesidepapa:

That's why i used "might'. He want to do very well and if he eventually do, he will catch the attention of the german.

I know Olanrewaju Kayode so very well. I saw him play U17 in 2009, U20 in 2011 and U20 again in 2013.
I saw him play CAF Champions league with ASEC mimosa of Abidjan in 2010/2011. I followed him when he went to FC Luzern of Switzerland in 2012. He came back to play in the NPL before heading for Isreal in 2013. He is currently in FK Austria Vien, since 2015.

He is a good player, talented no doubt and also hard working but I'll say not exceptional thus far. His career progress has been back and forth a kind of.

He is 24yrs old but I cannot classify him with the likes of Martins, Yakubu and Utaka when they were same age.

I see Kayode as a good inclusion to the squad but I sincerely dnt think he will likely be our goals king. I hope he proves me wrong.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:22pm On Mar 09, 2017
tbaba1234:
If Iwobi drops out of the friendly, i hope one of Aluko or Onyekuru is called up.

If this is true, then I would go for Onyekuru. However, that doe not mean Onyekuru may be guaranteed a starting shirt as Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon are standing on the lines. Not to also forget Success.

Rohr may even go ahead to invite a player from another role. Not ruling out Aluko's invitation also.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 5:40pm On Mar 09, 2017
Icon4s:

I know Olanrewaju Kayode so very well. I saw him play U17 in 2009, U20 in 2011 and U20 again in 2013.
I saw him play CAF Champions league with ASEC mimosa of Abidjan in 2010/2011. I followed him when he went to FC Luzern of Switzerland in 2012. He came back to play in the NPL before heading for Isreal in 2013. He is currently in FK Austria Vien, since 2015.

He is a good player, talented no doubt and also hard working but I'll say not exceptional thus far. His career progress has been back and forth a kind of.

He is 24yrs old but I cannot classify him with the likes of Martins, Yakubu and Utaka when they were same age.

I see Kayode as a good inclusion to the squad but I sincerely dnt think he will likely be our goals king. I hope he proves me wrong.
Icon4s:

If this is true, then I would go for Onyekuru. However, that doe not mean Onyekuru may be guaranteed a starting shirt as Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon are standing on the lines. Not to also forget Success.

Rohr may even go ahead to invite a player from another role. Not ruling out Aluko's invitation also.

So spot on. Kayode is not clinical though gifted with good pace. Will pick those guys above him too. And he might even have problems still with nff goons.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:03pm On Mar 09, 2017
Geestunnar:

I was shocked when I saw that part. All those calling for him to leave are wasting their time because he is satisfied with playing from the bench at times and most times not playing at all shocked shocked shocked

Not necessarily, he is been press smart.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 6:16pm On Mar 09, 2017
tbaba1234:

Not necessarily, he is been press smart.
I pray he doesn't waste away on the bench, It is very sad seeing him on the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:34pm On Mar 09, 2017
Goal for Samuel Kalu in the Europa League.. Esiti is also having a good game

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:34pm On Mar 09, 2017
Samuel Kalu just scored for Gent.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (626) (627) (628) (629) (630) (631) (632) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheGoodJoe(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.