Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,294 members, 7,894,246 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 06:21 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (715) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12107821 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (712) (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) ... (16446) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:07pm On Mar 26, 2017
SharpJoe:

Aluko brings in brilliance, great touch and classy decisions. However, I feel the creativity of Aluko to operate in tight spaces, attract players to himself and skip past players is more of an asset in that role.

Even if it comes to a Center attack midfield role, I will still prefer Aluko to Iwobi. With Victor Moses and Aluko playing wide, we will find it easier creating room for the forward players to shine. The destroying runs will keep the defender under pressure. Coupled with the creativity of Nacho and Success, we have a lethal forward line.

Is Aluko really that good? I have seen a couple of matches where he couldn't stand the pressure and was a kinda quagmire when he was expected to lift his team as was Alex in our last match. But that ain't denying the fact that he's cerebral and can conjure some improvised pieces of skills to riggle outta tight corners Sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 5:07pm On Mar 26, 2017
SharpJoe:

Mikel is the better player. The only reason Alli will get a look is his goals. Apart from that, Mikel trumps him.

assist nko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:08pm On Mar 26, 2017
SharpJoe:

Precisely. The discussion was who is more needed in the Super Eagles, not Tottenham. Alli or Mikel. Clearly it is Mikel because he has the ability to make the team play better and he creates loads of chances for the forwards.
Agreed. Etebo can offer something similar to Alli in terms of getting into great scoring positions and energy, maybe his technique is not as polished as Alli.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
Mickael2:

Is Neymar the oldest person in the Selecao? But he is their captain, you don't even understand the bone of contention and you are here misyarning.

Rohr said he removed Musa because he is a bench warmer, Mikel used to be a bench warmer but he wasn't removed, so that's hypocritical of him. Had it been that he said that he removed him because he isn't the oldest player there then we will all understand, not that lame excuse. Ok so is Onazi older than Musa and Echejile? So why isn't Musa Echejile's assistant?
I don't believe rohr will ever say that...
so many lies have laid on that man...
with time we will get to know what happened
of a truth ..musa starting place is not even guaranteed in the team anymore...from rohr two games I have been opportuned to watch he always come in from the bench...he has been of impact though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 5:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
Humility017:

you see that sunday oliseh caused every thing... him appointing musa as his captain during the few months he coached eagles caused this problem and siasia after restoring the captainship to Mikel...made musa his assistant...that's where the problem started, musa already see himself as super eagles skipper in the absence of mikel...

I think we should be Objective in this matter. So should Collin Udoh. Rohr is not into the Nigerian syndrome of Monkey working and Baboon eating. It is as simple as that. Rohr has done his assessment and he does not see Musa a key member of the team. He wants his captain on the field. Not on the bench. Musa will not play regularly for his team and so Rohr will not leave him with the captain band.

I wonder what is wrong in that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:11pm On Mar 26, 2017
Chelsea Talent Aina, Sunderland Superkid Maja Begin Training With Super Eagles On Monday

Chelsea defender Ola Aina is on the verge of committing his international future to Nigeria ahead of his country of birth England at senior level.

The Nigeria Football Federation have confirmed that Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr will begin running the rule over the former England U20 international on Monday, March 27.

Aina, Sunderland teen sensation Josh Maja and Queens Park Rangers striker Ebere Eze have been invited to join the Nigeria squad for a training match, for assessment by the technical crew, informs the NFF.

The three young stars visited the Super Eagles Crowne Plaza Hotel camp in London on Saturday night.
While Aina has caps for England youth teams, Maja and Eze have never been capped by England.

***Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22507

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:11pm On Mar 26, 2017
ChrisKels:

Is Aluko really that good? I have seen a couple of matches where he couldn't stand the pressure and was a kinda quagmire when he was expected to lift his team as was Alex in our last match. But that ain't denying the fact that he's cerebral and can conjure some improvised pieces of skills to riggle outta tight corners Sha.
Aluko is too inconsistent. Talented but lacks consistency to be really elite.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:11pm On Mar 26, 2017
tbaba1234:
Ola Aina can't play an official friendly for Nigeria without FIFA approval since he has already played for the English youth teams.

I doubt any match bar the one Dat was supposed to be played against Burkina Faso, can be termed an official friendly. Correct me if am wrong sir

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 5:12pm On Mar 26, 2017
Mickael2:

assist nko?

Mikel created loads of chances over the years for our team. It was the front line that let him down. If not, when it comes to assist, Mikel shines there too. Remember the AFCON. Alli has high assists because the likes of Son and Kane are brilliant forwards. If Mikel was feeding those kind of strikers, he will have high assist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:12pm On Mar 26, 2017
ChrisKels:

that guy is good...abeg
still remember his play against arsenal in the Fa cup final...when he was in hull city and also saving us from embarrassment against RSA in uyo...
he is a very brilliant player....that every day I wish I could lay hands on the super eagles players and fight them...what was needed was to shot frm outside the box not to get into the RSA penalty box...aluko introduction solved this problem as he knew what was expected and he did the needful
that guy is good
though we won't miss his absence much because of the presence of etebo...
they both have similar brilliance and score brilliant goals when needed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:13pm On Mar 26, 2017
edi287:

U got the message bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 5:14pm On Mar 26, 2017
edi287:

Aluko is consistent. Going for his recent run at Fulham and his few games for the Super Eagles. I doubt we can tag such a player inconsistent. I think he is one of the most consistent Nigerians this season. Rarely gets bad reviews.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:14pm On Mar 26, 2017
Mickael2:

Is Neymar the oldest person in the Selecao? But he is their captain, you don't even understand the bone of contention and you are here misyarning.

Rohr said he removed Musa because he is a bench warmer, Mikel used to be a bench warmer but he wasn't removed, so that's hypocritical of him. Had it been that he said that he removed him because he isn't the oldest player there then we will all understand, not that lame excuse. Ok so is Onazi older than Musa and Echejile? So why isn't Musa Echejile's assistant?
Fact is Musa was simply not captain's material to begin with. If the only reason he was chosen by Oliseh was because of consistency, well he hasn't been a regular this season. So why else should we have him as captain?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:14pm On Mar 26, 2017
ChrisKels:

I doubt any match bar the one Dat was supposed to be played against Burkina Faso, can be termed an official friendly. Correct me if am wrong sir
he don't need to play....let him train with his brothers and enjoy the atmosphere...
he should just train and feel belong
trust the NFF to start processing his paper stuff soon

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 5:16pm On Mar 26, 2017
Humility017:

that guy is good...abeg
still remember his play against arsenal in the Fa cup final...when he was in hull city and also saving us from embarrassment against RSA in uyo...
he is a very brilliant player....that every day I wish I could lay hands on the super eagles players and fight them...what was needed was to shot frm outside the box not to get into the RSA penalty box...aluko introduction solved this problem as he knew what was expected and he did the needful
that guy is good

I agree with you about the similarities and I feel Etebo will offer us more goals than Aluko if he plays in an advanced role. However, I will opt for Aluko due of his creativity and his ability to attract players that creates room for the forward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 5:16pm On Mar 26, 2017
SharpJoe:

Aluko is consistent. Going for his recent run at Fulham and his few games for the Super Eagles. I doubt we can tag such a player inconsistent. I think he is one of the most consistent Nigerians this season. Rarely gets bad reviews.
One season he's good, the next he's lukewarm, then he gets injured. That's been the problem with him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:17pm On Mar 26, 2017
edi287:

are u referring to the aluko I know or another aluko
aluko just happen to be one of the few unlucky players wit transfers coupled with the fact we discovered him late

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:19pm On Mar 26, 2017
SharpJoe:

I think we should be Objective in this matter. So should Collin Udoh. Rohr is not into the Nigerian syndrome of Monkey working and Baboon eating. It is as simple as that. Rohr has done his assessment and he does not see Musa a key member of the team. He wants his captain on the field. Not on the bench. Musa will not play regularly for his team and so Rohr will not leave him with the captain band.

I wonder what is wrong in that.
you're right. .
I just pray musa received this with the spirit and heart of sportsmanship.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 5:20pm On Mar 26, 2017
edi287:

One season he's good, the next he's lukewarm, then he gets injured. That's been the problem with him.

A player getting injured and the coach dropping the player does not mean the player has lost form. The way to judge a player is by giving him a consistent run of games and then evaluate. That is what Aluko got at Fulham that restored his status. Same goes for the Super Eagles. If he gets a run of few games, many will see his quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 5:22pm On Mar 26, 2017
There is no better way to drop Musa from the leadership position. It was always gonna be a tough decision,anyway. Dude has never been a natural leader,Oliseh made him captain to spite Enyeama and humiliate him but we can all see how it all ended. And for those comparing his inactivity at his club to Mikel when he was a bench warmer at Chelsea you are not looking at it thoroughly,Mikel is the backbone of the Super Eagles ,club football or not. Mikel is a cult figure in Super Eagles and the boys call him ODOGWU! Do you know what that means ?
Musa has never had a commanding presense in Super Eagles,even Emenike was more respected when he(Musa) was made captain. I felt like this is the best time to let him know what is coming up to avoid what happened to Enyeama when he was gone. Leave while the ovation is still high.
And even Onazi needs to be worried;check out Ogu ,Ndidi and Balogun these guys are natural leaders ,especially Ndidi and Balogun.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pelezico: 5:22pm On Mar 26, 2017
SharpJoe:

Mikel is the better player. The only reason Alli will get a look is his goals. Apart from that, Mikel trumps him.

Mikel is not the better player today - theres one thing he lacks and that is SPEED. Kanu had the same problem after his major heart operation and the only reason why Kanu was a far better player skill wise was because he was technically brilliant. Mikel has to over compensate for his lack of speed so when he plays in that offensive position he often loses the ball and needs folks arund him to cover his butt. Thats not good. When playing for Chelsea he always played SAFE. Just did his job but for Nigeria theres a greater responsibility to play offensively and he cannto hack it.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:24pm On Mar 26, 2017
Mickael2:

How is Kelechi even in the picture if we want to give it to the best performing player?sad you didn't mention Ndidi, Ekong, Etebo, Leon, even Omeruo, all these players have performed better than him in the last two-three games, ok maybe two games for Omeruo alone.

Anyways, my point is that Onazi was made captain before Musa, talking about seniority Musa pass am, so what's your point? You know that Rohr was wrong by choosing Onazi so why are you including Echejile now? Was Echejile the captain of the game. Let's not dwell on this sha, Musa like every random aboki is a humble dude, that's what I love about him. He even tied someone's lace for him
I don't know how u read games ooo
how many matches has ndidi , etebo played for the eagles...compare kelechi games...
though I don't like the idea of giving captaincy to a striker...
but that dude goal scoring record for eagles...is amazing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 5:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
pelezico:

Mikel is not the better player today - theres one thing he lacks and that is SPEED. Kanu had the same problem after his major heart operation and the only reason why Kanu was a far better player was he is skill was technically brilliant. Mikel has to over compensate for his lack of speed so when he plays in that offensive position he often loses the boy and needs folks arund him to cover his butt. Thats not good. When playing for Chelsea he always played SAFE. Just did his job but for Nigeria theres a greater responsibility to play offensively and he cannto hack it.

Mikel is not the type of player to easily give away the ball. That is the strength of his game. Mourinho concurred that. Also as a player playing a creative style, he does not need much pace. A good example is Zidane and Pirlo. It requires more of intelligent movement and quick thinking. This Mikel excels.

Players with less intelligence in movement off the ball and decision making compensates with lots of running. Ironically, many tag that as perfect play. However, the likes of Ibrahimovic and Berbatov who rely more on their intelligence do not need all the speed in the world to excel.

That is the similar formula Mikel applies to his game play and compensates for his lack of speed.

I am not a lazy player. I just make football look easy.. Berbatov.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 5:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
To me etebo is not a dmf. That he played there and performed ok is due to versatility & strength. The guy is an amf/wf.
Aluko to me is a better choice than iwobi. Iwobi has lost his spark. If i were the coach, i will only give him say 10mins-15mins, same with simon. And with Musa, i dnt need ighalo. Also, those two keepers, Akpeyi &Ezenwa, are too error prone & have passed their prime. Better options should be sourced home & abroad. Ezenwa was with siasia at the beijing olympics. We have better players sentiments should be stopped.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 5:35pm On Mar 26, 2017
edi287:

Are you saying all Dele Alli is only good at is scoring?? Sure Mikel may be more creative, but Dele Alli also creates/attacks space superbly. If Mikel was in spurs, Pochettino would not play him as an AMF over Alli. Even Eriksen plays on the wing and and he's more creative than Alli.
u wer bagin about his shooting accuracy or so and i was tryin 2 tell u dat d amf role isnt just about scoring it mainly about creativity linking d midfield 2 attack and dats y i prefer mikel 2 alli chikena
besides i already sais every1 1 is entitled 2 is or her opinion so plx let this agrument die down.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 5:39pm On Mar 26, 2017
tbaba1234:
Ola Aina can't play an official friendly for Nigeria without FIFA approval since he has already played for the English youth teams.
nah he hasnt played for england senior team so he can still play for us in a friendly what of bazee?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:40pm On Mar 26, 2017
pyrex23:
nah he hasnt played for england senior team so he can still play for us in a friendly what of bazee?

Bazee has not represented Germany, all he needs is a passport.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Yomiwayne80(m): 5:42pm On Mar 26, 2017
Humility017:

that guy is good...abeg
that guy is good

Correct my brother.... Anyone who's doubting Alukos abilities should watch all the matches he's featured for Nigeria most especially against RSA

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:43pm On Mar 26, 2017
zoboizee:
To me etebo is not a dmf. That he played there and performed ok is due to versatility & strength. The guy is an amf/wf.
Aluko to me is a better choice than iwobi. Iwobi has lost his spark. If i were the coach, i will only give him say 10mins-15mins, same with simon. And with Musa, i dnt need ighalo. Also, those two keepers, Akpeyi &Ezenwa, are too error prone & have passed their prime. Better options should be sourced home & abroad. Ezenwa was with siasia at the beijing olympics. We have better players sentiments should be stopped.

I read what u wrote about iwobi...please don't go there...even England are still musing and weeping on loosing him to Nigeria..
a selfless and skillful player of such age are hard to find..
please that guy is good....his touches are superB still remember his play against Egypt in Kaduna... just that I see him as one that can't really play from the flanks in Africa football...
he should be deployed to middle.. then I believe we get more frm him

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

Bazee has not represented Germany, all he needs is a passport.
I dont know much about these rules sha .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jerryclinton: 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2017
We keep fumbling when it comes to selecting the kind of goalkeepers we can really bank on for the national team. That's how Keshi continued to use that short keeper, Agbim even when we had the best hands in Nigeria.
Now we have a good keeper which everyone had seen his performance at the olympics, Emmanuel Daniel, yet we are still forcing ourselves on a shaky and jittery Akpeyi. This is the same guy, Daniel completely benched at the olympics.
What is a short Ezenwa doing at the super eagles team when we have a tall, confident and agile Emmanuel Daniel? At the olympics, I saw Emmanuel in the moulds of Patrick okala and Peter Rufai. Most countries like to use taller keepers because most players talk about how they dread them. Someone may say Enyeama is not tall and intimidating but Enyeama is quite exceptional with his skill and that's what Ezenwa lacks. I'm happy Emmanuel Daniel has now moved to a foreign club, it's now time to really look his way. The 3 keepers i will recommend for super eagles are
1. Carl Ikeme
2. Emmanuel Daniel
3. Daniel Akpeyi.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SharpJoe: 6:02pm On Mar 26, 2017
jerryclinton:
We keep fumbling when it comes to selecting the kind of goalkeepers we can really bank on for the national team. That's how Keshi continued to use that short keeper, Agbim even when we had the best hands in Nigeria.
Now we have a good keeper which everyone had seen his performance at the olympics, Emmanuel Daniel, yet we are still forcing ourselves on a shaky and jittery Akpeyi. This is the same guy, Daniel completely benched at the olympics.
What is a short Ezenwa doing at the super eagles team when we have a tall, confident and agile Emmanuel Daniel? At the olympics, I saw Emmanuel in the moulds of Patrick okala and Peter Rufai. Most countries like to use taller keepers because most players talk about how they dread them. Someone may say Enyeama is not tall and intimidating but Enyeama is quite exceptional with his skill and that's what Ezenwa lacks. I'm happy Emmanuel Daniel has now moved to a foreign club, it's now time to really look his way. The 3 keepers i will recommend for super eagles are
1. Carl Ikeme
2. Emmanuel Daniel
3. Daniel Akpeyi.

First, Bring back Ike Shorunmu. Take them to camp, drill them with keeping drills and pick the most talented goalkeeper. It is too simple. The best including Emma Daniel, Alampasu. No guess work allowed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (712) (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) ... (16446) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 23 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.