Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,406 members, 7,878,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 11:19 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7620) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12015802 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7617) (7618) (7619) (7620) (7621) (7622) (7623) ... (16403) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:17pm On Nov 12, 2019
He is. He will stay till the end. Watford aren't in a hurry to have him back.

Eartquake1:

I thought Dele Bashiru is with the squad?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:25pm On Nov 12, 2019
I think 5pm or 6pm.

andrewbaba44:
Abeg my people when super eagles dey play?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:26pm On Nov 12, 2019
Icon4s:

Oga all this your grammar on top wetin I talk.
So many Super Eagles players, past and present have been selected from the Olympics. That underlines the importance of that age grade competition.

I would say historical past.

In contemporary times the national youth teams have given our youth players access and or introduction to European football.

However, it is thier consistent continous top class outstanding performances in thier clubs and leagues that have maintained thier positions in the main in the national teams.

Unfortunately the larger majority of our youth players have never matched thier dominance at youth level, with commensurate progression in thier professional football careers.

KC, ONAZI, I. SUCCESS, have lost thier positions and very rightly so, as their performances at club level have been on a downward spiral.

So my observation still stands and has more credence. Your performance at club and league level justifies and ensures your position and or continous invitation to national football teams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 11:27pm On Nov 12, 2019
Icon4s:

I am really loving this guy. So full of objectivity. You are welcome to this thread bro. smiley

Please keep posting more regularly and God will bless you. cheesy

wink Thank you Bro for acknowledging my presence here already and I promise not to dissapoint too just like you've been as well like a couple of others already haven noticed same myself.

And God bless you and everyone of Us in here also

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:38pm On Nov 12, 2019
I believe ANS too no watch match.... grin I recall some would post some match ratings from ANS to justify their points on certain players. Well, this is ANS on this game. Live with it too... wink

Nigeria U23 Player Ratings Vs Zambia : Ozornwafor Solid; Awoniyi Lively; Okechukwu Leads; Nwakali Impressive

Nigeria's Olympic Eagles bounced back from their false start in the 2019 U-23 AFCON campaign with a crucial win over Zambia in Cairo on Tuesday evening.

Allnigeriasoccer.com's Emmanuel Chinaza brings readers the report cards of the players in action :

The Starters

Goalkeeper

Adamu Abubakar: Kept his composure in between the sticks and wasn't really at fault for the Zambia goal. Made some routine saves too. (7/10)

Defenders

Valentine Ozonwafor: Was a rock in defence. Solidly nullified Mwepu and Daka but for the goal they combined to score. One of the next games he has had in the green. (8/10)

Anthony Izuchukwu: An eventful showing in the rear. Defended doggedly and will relish games such like this. (7/10)

Seth Sincere: Always looking to attack and went on some rampaging runs. Particularly eye-catching on the break but also did his defensive duties with less fuss. (7/10)

Bitok Stephen: Assured display after starting on the wrong foot. Kept passes simple and was an unfazed presence as the game wore on. Picked up an early booking for his troubles. (7/10)

Midfielders

Azubuike Okechukwu: Led by example. Tucked in perfectly in between the lines of attack and defence, and was even seen prancing upfront with the ball a couple of times. Struck a couple of long range efforts too. (8/10)

Kelechi Nwakali: The former Arsenal midfielder showed glimpses of his quality, which the Zambians could not keep up with. His trickery was evident as he won and curled in a superb goal for Nigeria's second of the night. Impressive. (8.5/10)

Ndifreke Udo: Would have been on the score sheet but some his wayward shooting. Was adept at combining with his teammates and it showed when he teed up Awoniyi for his goal. (6.5/10)

Attackers

Ibrahim Sunusi: Always a willing runner in the channels and his fast break led to Okonkwo's goal. Was full of tricks and his crosses were always well placed. (7/10)

Taiwo Awoniyi: Was a force to reckon with upfront and would have made the headlines if things had gone his way tonight. The Liverpool-owned striker went close to scoring on a number of occasions but was always thwarted by Banda. Got his goal in the closing stages, however, with a clinical finish. (8/10)

Orji Okonkwo: One of the most creative players on the pitch. Combined with Awoniyi and his teammates a number of occasions and was a delight to behold. Thrashed home his team's equaliser in the first half but unfortunately came off after picking an injury. (7.5/10)

The Substitutes

Sunday Faleye: Had a few moments after replacing Okonkwo but was not afforded much space to exploit. (6/10)

Adam Aliyu: Saw a goal-bound effort blocked off after coming on and looked every bit the part. Saw little channels to work on as the Zambians retreated. (6/10)

**Emmanuel Chinaza

Source: ANS

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:42pm On Nov 12, 2019
komekn:

I would say historical past.

In contemporary times the national youth teams have given our youth players access and or introduction to European football.

However, it is thier consistent continous top class outstanding performances in thier clubs and leagues that have maintained thier positions in the main in the national teams.

Unfortunately the larger majority of our youth players have never matched thier dominance at youth level, with commensurate progression in thier professional football careers.

KC, ONAZI, I. SUCCESS, have lost thier positions and very rightly so, as their performances at club level have been on a downward spiral.

So my observation still stands and has more credence. Your performance at club and league level justifies and ensures your position and or continous invitation to national football teams.

Oga nobody is disputing anything about club performances.

The Olympics teams aka Dream Team has continued to be a breeding ground for our future SE players.

You talk about the historical past, not true because a player like Ekong broke into the SE starting 11 because of his performance at the last Olympics. Others like Etebo and Shehu were also products of that same Olympics. So Oga we will continue to use the Olympics as the testing ground for our future Eagles.

Ow you think this policy will not favour your Borough boys grin No worries once we qualify for the Olympics we will invite the 'deserving ones' amongst them to boost the team grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:43pm On Nov 12, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
I think 5pm or 6pm.

Wednesday o?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:49pm On Nov 12, 2019
Nigeria Vs Benin: Stats Pack- Afcon 2021 Qualifiers

1. Head to Head:

The Super Eagles have never lost to the Squirrels in 12 meetings, winning 10, including the last five. Their last meeting was during the 2010 Afcon in Angola with Nigeria winning 1-0.

2. Match Venue:

The Super Eagles return to the Godswill Akpabio Stadium for the first time since October 2018, playing four home games at Stephen Keshi Stadium in Asaba, winning two and drawing two.

3. Clean sheet masters:

In the 12 previous matches between Nigeria and Benin Republic, the bigger nation (Nigeria) has kept a clean sheet nine times, conceding just once in a competitive fixture, which occurred in a 2-1 win during the 2004 Afcon in Tunisia.

4. Goal scarcity:

This fixture has not been known for goals with three or more surfacing on only three occasions, the last one occuring in a 5-0 friendly victory for Nigeria on November 1979. Four of the last six encounters between both sides have witnessed two or less goals.

5. Potential debutant:

Enyimba centre-back Ifeanyi Anaemena could be in line to make his senior national team debut after he was called up to replace Brian Idowu who had passport issues. Should Anaemena feature at Godswill Akpabio Stadium, he will be the first player from the Nigeria Professional Football League to do so since Ikechukwu Ezenwa against Madagascar during the 2019 Afcon in Egypt.

6. Lack of victories:

Benin have been struggling for wins and have just one victory since Afcon 2019, drawing four times and losing twice. Before the commencement of the competition in Egypt, Benin won three on the bounce.

7. Aribo effect:

Joe Aribo had been something of a catalyst for Nigeria, scoring two goals in his first two games. With his ever-increasing reputation, more of the same fine form will be expected from him in Uyo on Wednesday.

8. Super Sessegnon:

Any hopes of Benin getting their first ever win against Nigeria will rest largely on Stephane Sessegnon. The Genclerbirligi forward is the Squirrels all-time leading marksmen with 23 goals, and also international caps (80).

Source: Goal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:50pm On Nov 12, 2019
Yes. On Wednesday. Then we take on Lesotho away on Sunday.

andrewbaba44:

Wednesday o?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:57pm On Nov 12, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Yes. On Wednesday. Then we take on Lesotho away on Sunday.

Wow double decker

6 points loading

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 11:58pm On Nov 12, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Chriskels will say, "This man has come again! Giving excuses in case we get a draw... Chriskels and Rohr matter na 5 & 6 grin

Rohr on the Benin Afcon Game:

"Recently, we played games against great teams but not African teams. Brazil & Ukraine played offensively so we had space & our pacy wingers enjoyed it.

''It won't be the same tomorrow cos Benin are defensive so it will be dangerous to think it will be an easy game."

I don't think he's giving any excuse already as a man that knows how to read opponents very well but can sometimes falter in his substitution when the need arises.

And going by His quoted statement above, He actually hit the nail on it head and some how, the not too good short time camping experience could be a disadvantage for NIGERIA rather than for the Benninoise since their Players must have been camped for a longer period already.

That supposedly means that we might struggle in the first few minutes in an attempt to gell and dominate proceedings.

But above all, Experience and Head-to-Head stats of 11 Victories, 2 Draws and 1 loss in favour of NIGERIA should see Us overcome them at the end of day come tomorrow at 5:00 pm KICK OFF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:03am On Nov 13, 2019
Who Partners Ekong? Omeruo speaks on his Competition with Semi Ajayi for CB role

''Of course the competition is always welcome, the important thing is we have quality players that can replace anybody at anytime and Semi has been part of the team even before the AFCON, so he's someone that we know, we have trained together.

''Everyone can see he's doing very well in his club as well so it is a good thing for the country, for the club to have more than two, three players in the position, the challenge is always good''.

Note: Omeruo has made eight starts for Leganes in the current season whereas Ajayi has gone the distance in all the 17 matches contested by West Brom in all competitions, scoring two goals.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:09am On Nov 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
I believe ANS too no watch match.... grin I recall some would post some match ratings from ANS to justify their points on certain players. Well, this is ANS on this game. Live with it too... wink

Nigeria U23 Player Ratings Vs Zambia : Ozornwafor Solid; Awoniyi Lively; Okechukwu Leads; Nwakali Impressive

Nigeria's Olympic Eagles bounced back from their false start in the 2019 U-23 AFCON campaign with a crucial win over Zambia in Cairo on Tuesday evening.

Allnigeriasoccer.com's Emmanuel Chinaza brings readers the report cards of the players in action :

The Starters

Goalkeeper

Adamu Abubakar: Kept his composure in between the sticks and wasn't really at fault for the Zambia goal. Made some routine saves too. (7/10)

Defenders

Valentine Ozonwafor: Was a rock in defence. Solidly nullified Mwepu and Daka but for the goal they combined to score. One of the next games he has had in the green. (8/10)

Anthony Izuchukwu: An eventful showing in the rear. Defended doggedly and will relish games such like this. (7/10)

Seth Sincere: Always looking to attack and went on some rampaging runs. Particularly eye-catching on the break but also did his defensive duties with less fuss. (7/10)

Bitok Stephen: Assured display after starting on the wrong foot. Kept passes simple and was an unfazed presence as the game wore on. Picked up an early booking for his troubles. (7/10)

Midfielders

Azubuike Okechukwu: Led by example. Tucked in perfectly in between the lines of attack and defence, and was even seen prancing upfront with the ball a couple of times. Struck a couple of long range efforts too. (8/10)

Kelechi Nwakali: The former Arsenal midfielder showed glimpses of his quality, which the Zambians could not keep up with. His trickery was evident as he won and curled in a superb goal for Nigeria's second of the night. Impressive. (8.5/10)

Ndifreke Udo: Would have been on the score sheet but some his wayward shooting. Was adept at combining with his teammates and it showed when he teed up Awoniyi for his goal. (6.5/10)

Attackers

Ibrahim Sunusi: Always a willing runner in the channels and his fast break led to Okonkwo's goal. Was full of tricks and his crosses were always well placed. (7/10)

Taiwo Awoniyi: Was a force to reckon with upfront and would have made the headlines if things had gone his way tonight. The Liverpool-owned striker went close to scoring on a number of occasions but was always thwarted by Banda. Got his goal in the closing stages, however, with a clinical finish. (8/10)

Orji Okonkwo: One of the most creative players on the pitch. Combined with Awoniyi and his teammates a number of occasions and was a delight to behold. Thrashed home his team's equaliser in the first half but unfortunately came off after picking an injury. (7.5/10)

The Substitutes

Sunday Faleye: Had a few moments after replacing Okonkwo but was not afforded much space to exploit. (6/10)

Adam Aliyu: Saw a goal-bound effort blocked off after coming on and looked every bit the part. Saw little channels to work on as the Zambians retreated. (6/10)

**Emmanuel Chinaza

Source: ANS

Omo see Goal Keeper... grin grin grin grin grin grin

Na wa ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 12:11am On Nov 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:
Abeg my people when super eagles dey play?

5:00 pm Nigerian Time.

Victory should be assured before and must be secured after kick off up until the last second and beyond

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:16am On Nov 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8jRIbnrZio

2:17 seconds highlights on HD for those that didnt watch the game

African Football...Gbas Gbos grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:17am On Nov 13, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Surprisingly, the goalie impressed me. I was very impressed, really impressed. That's definitely one to look out for.

Don't judge too early
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:17am On Nov 13, 2019
darkelf:

African Football...Gbas Gbos grin grin grin grin

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 12:21am On Nov 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:

Thats true

I dont know if i will call the Olympics a mini world cup

Of course the OLYMPICS is the gateway to the most Senior National Team of every Nation and in relation to the ZAMBIANS in particular,

They last qualified for the OLYMPICS in 1988 in Seoul-Capital of the Korea Republic.

Thus, The desire to feature again after a long while made them pick up the Best at their disposal inspite of the competition being a step down for their already experienced National Team lads.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 12:23am On Nov 13, 2019
andrewbaba44:

Thats true

I dont know if i will call the Olympics a mini world cup

Of course the OLYMPICS is the gateway to the most Senior National Team of every Nation and in relation to the ZAMBIANS in particular,

They last qualified for the OLYMPICS in 1988 in Seoul-Capital of the Korea Republic.

Thus, The desire to feature again after a long while made them pick up the Best at their disposal inspite of the competition being a step down for their already experienced National Team lads.

cc
Eartquake1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:27am On Nov 13, 2019
Kbs468:

cc
Eartquake1

Thats true bro

Even sergio ramos is considering playing in the next olympic

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:28am On Nov 13, 2019
cheesy odi egwu ooo

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:33am On Nov 13, 2019
charlesemeka85:
cheesy odi egwu ooo

lol warey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:37am On Nov 13, 2019
Kbs468:

cc
Eartquake1

The Olympics football event has lost its glamour as most teams can't invite their best players within the age limit anymore. The release of players is no longer mandated by FIFA so the quality has gone down.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:39am On Nov 13, 2019
cheesy
andrewbaba44:

lol warey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:39am On Nov 13, 2019
What I do? grin
andrewbaba44:

lol warey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 12:46am On Nov 13, 2019
BARAJ92:
Whether i live by it, does not matter.

It matters because the principles you live by define who you are. So, again , do you live by the principle that says the concept of what is "right" is "relative"....like cultural relativism ? Abeg , answer question joor...and before you do remember your reputation is on the line. We dont forget here, BARAJ92 !

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 12:49am On Nov 13, 2019
tbaba1234:

The Olympics football event has lost its glamour as most teams can't invite their best players within the age limit anymore. The release of players is no longer mandated by FIFA so the quality has gone down.
Yes but that not withstanding as the lesser in quality Players being given the opportunity to showcase their talents have higher probability of keying in straight into the Senior National Teams immediately than those Players being discovered during U 17 and U 20 grade competitions

Since their youthfulness is usually considered a limitation to their maturity despite their possessing blistering bundles of talents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:33am On Nov 13, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Who Partners Ekong? Omeruo speaks on his Competition with Semi Ajayi for CB role

''Of course the competition is always welcome, the important thing is we have quality players that can replace anybody at anytime and Semi has been part of the team even before the AFCON, so he's someone that we know, we have trained together.

''Everyone can see he's doing very well in his club as well so it is a good thing for the country, for the club to have more than two, three players in the position, the challenge is always good''.

Note: Omeruo has made eight starts for Leganes in the current season whereas Ajayi has gone the distance in all the 17 matches contested by West Brom in all competitions, scoring two goals.

One minute the media is making Ekong look like a demi god and the next they will cook up rumours about him.
This is a 3 way competition. In fact the question should be who will pair up Ajayi because Troost and Kenneth have been on horrible defensive teams this season. Especially Ekong who took in 11 in 2 matches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:27am On Nov 13, 2019
Icon4s:

Oga nobody is disputing anything about club performances.

The Olympics teams aka Dream Team has continued to be a breeding ground for our future SE players.

You talk about the historical past, not true because a player like Ekong broke into the SE starting 11 because of his performance at the last Olympics. Others like Etebo and Shehu were also products of that same Olympics. So Oga we will continue to use the Olympics as the testing ground for our future Eagles.

Ow you think this policy will not favour your Borough boys
grin No worries once we qualify for the Olympics we will invite the 'deserving ones' amongst them to boost the team grin

Is that your true opinion or its an attempt at surreal comedy.

Nonetheless, your favoured approach is designed to enthrone MEDIOCRITY as opposed to EXCELLENCE.

In addition your deduction is wrong if l had no knowledge of Nigerian football and it's administration then I could agree with you.

The core of our National team emanated from progressive consistent continous top class outstanding performances at club and league. Those performances got them into national set up not thier performances in the Olympics. That effectively is the current policy strategy of the NFF.

So on this occasion your deduction is not objective but misguided perception led. Check the stats they don't lie.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:36am On Nov 13, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

One minute the media is making Ekong look like a demi god and the next they will cook up rumours about him.
This is a 3 way competition. In fact the question should be who will pair up Ajayi because Troost and Kenneth have been on horrible defensive teams this season. Especially Ekong who took in 11 in 2 matches

Ekong will always start with the way i am seeing

But please stop judging ekong because udinese collected many goals

As for me my choice will be Ajayi and Ekong
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:41am On Nov 13, 2019
tbaba1234:

Absolutely correct.

That approach is reflected in Europe where it's not taken seriously.

Once again U23 football is a very low standard to gauge excellence. Most U23 teams in England will struggle with many non league clubs. And l am talking from an informed perspective not hearsay.

That's why players are sent on loan and not left to stagnate in the U23's.

Look at composition of U23 teams in Africa how many of them can cut it at an EPL academy ❓ How many can make it straight into English league one, etc. Because most can not walk straight into any first tier top 10 league in Europe.

So if that becomes the basis of our selection to the SE. We have murdered excellence and enthroned MEDIOCRITY with all its additional sharp practices and corruption.

Thankfully it's not the NFF approach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zayyadidris(m): 2:58am On Nov 13, 2019
Icon4s:
Olulong, Hzwriters, Chrisooblog, Zayyadidris have you done your nominations. Please do so if "NO".
I was among the first people that voted.!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7617) (7618) (7619) (7620) (7621) (7622) (7623) ... (16403) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.