Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,740 members, 7,875,856 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8830) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12000843 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8827) (8828) (8829) (8830) (8831) (8832) (8833) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:27pm On Jun 30, 2020
Joebie:
Oliseh on Osimhen. Interview with RFI
Sunday Oliseh: "Nigeria has had no player of the caliber of Osimhen since Yekini"

Sunday Oliseh is a former midfielder emblematic of the great Nigerian national team of the 1990s. He was also the coach in 2015-2016 of the "Super Eagles". At the time, Victor Osimhen had already caught his eye. Today, for RFI, the former resident of Ajax Amsterdam, Juventus Turin and Borussia Dortmund says all the good he thinks about the Prix Marc-Vivien Foé 2020.

RFI: Sunday Oliseh, Victor Osimhen is the winner of the Prix Marc-Vivien Foé 2020 which rewards the best African player in the French Championship. Are you surprised that it is ahead of more experienced players like the Algerian Islam Slimani (2nd), the Moroccan Yunis Abdelhamid (3rd) or the Senegalese Mbaye Niang (5th)?

Sunday Oliseh: First of all, I would like to congratulate Victor Osimhen on being elected winner of the Marc-Vivien Foé Prize. This trophy is important since it rewards the best African player in the French Championship. It is important for us Africans.

I find his victory even more surprising when we see the competitors that Victor had to surpass to win this title. Many people will wonder if he deserves it, if he is stronger than these players. But what Victor has done this season is truly exceptional. Thanks to him, his team managed to make a magnificent season.

I think Victor frankly deserves it because he brought a lot to his club. We really saw the difference when Victor was on the field and when he was not. We see the possibilities he offers his teammates to go forward. We also see the weight it places on enemy defenses.

He won the Marc-Vivien Foé Prize, succeeding players like Gervinho, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Vincent Enyeama and André Ayew. Is Victor Osimhen a player of the same caliber as them?

Many people wonder. I think Victor even has qualities that these players don’t have. He is young and I’m almost certain he’ll be leaving the French Championship in the near future. Because, all over Europe, they talked about him. His ex-club in Germany [Wolfsburg, where Osimhen failed to win, Editor's note] must be moaning because they realized they had lost a quality player. Victor is a player of the future. He deserves this consecration.

He was the top scorer in Nigeria’s Under-17 World Cup when you coached the Super Eagles in 2015-16. Did he catch your eye at the time?

When I was coach, I was trying to assemble a new team. In fact, the basics of the current national team are made up of players that I have put together. For me, it was important to have young people from the future who were hungry for national team matches.

Victor Osimhen was playing at the U17 World Cup at the time. I had watched the meetings with my assistants, including the final won by Nigeria. He did it with such ease, the way he eliminated his opponents.

We planned to invite him to the national team. But I left the selection. Otherwise, I would have invited him. Because, since Rashidi Yekini left the selection, we have not had a player of the caliber of Victor Osimhen. My plan was to integrate it slowly into the "Super Eagles", to give it a few minutes, before launching it 100% as we did with Wilfred Ndidi or Alex Iwobi at the time.

Can it be the top level center forward that Nigeria has sometimes missed to be at the top?

Even today, the Nigerian team is strong. We have very good players. But we’re missing a few key players, especially in offensive animation. I think that after what Victor has done this year, his presence is going to be something wonderful for the national team. I'm optimistic. I think it will solve the problems we have, in terms of finish, penetration, movement. It will allow midfielders to play directly forward.

A last word to address to Victor Osimhen?

Frankly, congratulations Victor! You deserve it. But I advise you my little brother to always remain humble and ambitious at the same time. Stay professional and good luck. Congratulations again, little brother!
--RFI (translated with google)

Words devoid of sentiments

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arabiandude: 10:30pm On Jun 30, 2020
ChrisKels:

I honestly don't rate Ejaria highly, he over elaborates without end products. A dribbler that hardly give an assist, score or win a penalty is an aimless dribbler, such players disrupt attacks and flows of games.
Just like Etebo and at the end he will add nothing to the SE, also just like Etebo. Major reason I have never vouch for Ejaria, I think I am contended with a SE midfield 3 of Ndidi, Aribo and Iwobi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:36pm On Jun 30, 2020
Arabiandude:

Just like Etebo and at the end he will add nothing to the SE, also just like Etebo. Major reason I have never vouch for Ejaria, I think I am contended with a SE midfield 3 of Ndidi, Aribo and Iwobi

The only championship midfielder that will add something to our team now is Ebere Eze. He is very creative and ambidextrous.

Till tomorrow, I would pick Azeez ahead of Etebo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:39pm On Jun 30, 2020
How good is Frank Onyeka, really? Who has seen a full video of him in action plz?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arabiandude: 10:44pm On Jun 30, 2020
ChrisKels:

The only championship midfielder that will add something to our team now is Ebere Eze. He is very creative and ambidextrous.

My brother, I have never hidden my preference for Eze over Ejaria here but I was accused of asslicking because he is foreign born, I had to just allow them duel in their reasonings.
Imagine 2 different midfielders that plays basically the same position, 1 has 10+ goals and some good number of assist and can also dribble and deadly with set pieces, the other only dribbles with less goals and assist and not known for a specific quality, and they were expecting me to choose the second over the first.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:52pm On Jun 30, 2020
Subzero047:

Italian fans are more bold and brazen with racism, I have been actively involved with black lives matter and I can tell you that racism is more or less acceptable in Italy

If he surveys and he thinks it is good for him let him go, but it doesn't sit well with me

Agreed without reservation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 10:58pm On Jun 30, 2020
ChrisKels:

I honestly don't rate Ejaria highly, he over elaborates without end products. A dribbler that hardly give an assist, score or win a penalty is an aimless dribbler, such players disrupt attacks and flows of games.

I have not seen him play but from what i read about him his skill set is like kanu okocha variety. He will mature with time. Nigerian fans will love him because of his dribling and creativity.
I willl watch him tonight anywat

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 10:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
Suarez has become a shadow of himself. Still,he gets to play 90 minutes undecided undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
Arabiandude:

If somebody would have told you that an English league one player in the name of Aribo. Would come in and claim jersey immediately with such impact.

I am sure you would say NEVER not good enough.

My approach is very simple invitation is not selection, when you perform you get selected.

But what some people prefer is no competition so that there is no competition for thier preferred player.

From what I can see Tosin Adarabioyo is arguably better than all of our CB's. I had once felt Dominic Iorfa was the most outstanding among the Nigerian origin defenders here in England but Tosin has gone ahead of him for now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:59pm On Jun 30, 2020
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
Arabiandude:

My brother, I have never hidden my preference for Eze over Ejaria here but I was accused of asslicking because he is foreign born, I had to just allow them duel in their reasonings.
Imagine 2 different midfielders that plays basically the same position, 1 has 10+ goals and some good number of assist and can also dribble and deadly with set pieces, the other only dribbles with less goals and assist and not known for a specific quality, and they were expecting me to choose the second over the first.

I don't value opinions without deep thoughts seriously. When posts are made to impress the audience and in a bid have facts buried, I view the poster as a weakling chasing clout. That said, I wonder how you guys do it, as in, chicken out just so you wouldn't be seen as the odd one out.

Dude Ejaria and Eze no be mate ballistically, even Iwobi would sit for Eze as long as AM is concerned. Eze is the only thing our midfield lacks presently and I will be the happiest man the day we finally bags him. Ejaria isn't what we need now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
COOL10:
Suarez has become a shadow of himself. Still,he gets to play 90 minutes undecided undecided

Now 33years coupled with injury ,what do u expect if not loss of form smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:00pm On Jun 30, 2020
Arabiandude:

If Messi retires and this present Barca board are still in place, Barcelona will not only nosedive but will become lesser than Getafe. But if a new board comes in and Xavi is appointed and with his plans of going back to Barca feeders to get players, I don't think Barca will fall to the level of even Valencia.

But seriously, this present Barca board is damn funny, ruling like Nigeria government, no single direction. How on Earth will this board spend 100+ million euro to purchase players like Coutinho, Dembelle and Griezman? The worst of all is selling a 23 years old midfielder and buying someone who is 30 to replace him while the board also keeps Rakitic and Vidal who are 30+
i feel you bruh, however board or no board, once MESSI retires, then barca will be like a normal 11 vs 11 players, no more cheat, no more 4 player in one man, no more opposition players getting sick even before match starts , you feel me.... indeed before MESSI came to barca, theyve won only 1 championsleague in 1992(i beg to ask where was barca when man u, liverpool, ac millan, madrid were all winning in the 50's,60's 70's,80's)well thats not my point, point is Ronaldinho/etoo won 2006 for barca and MESSI won a whooping 4 ucl for barca...

they dont or would not have another MESSI, so we are patiently waiting...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:02pm On Jun 30, 2020
Philosopher1979:

I have not seen him play but from what i read about him his skill set is like kanu okocha variety. He will mature with time. Nigerian fans will love him because of his dribling and creativity.
I willl watch him tonight anywat

Ejaria isn't creative. He might turn out creative with time, if he upgrades his game, but right now, he isn't
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:03pm On Jun 30, 2020
ChrisKels:

so whats stopping him from doning the gwg, oh i remember, he wants to secure a big money move first abi, so we should wait for him.... una go make person hate this guy...

im thinking we dont need the guy, he should go play for england...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:04pm On Jun 30, 2020
Very true at the bolded.
komekn:

If somebody would have told you that an English league one player in the name of Aribo. Would come in and claim jersey immediately with such impact.

I am sure you would say NEVER not good enough.

My approach is very simple invitation is not selection, when you perform you get selected

But what some people prefer is no competition so that there is no competition for thier preferred player.

From what I can see Tosin Adarabioyo is arguably better than all of our CB's. I had once felt Dominic Iorfa was the most outstanding among the Nigerian origin defenders here in England but Tosin has gone ahead of him for now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Balogun scorecard against Stoke City..

Had a 7.3 rating...

Interestingly, Wigan have moved from the relegation zone to having chance (albeit very slim) of making the playoffs..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
COOL10:

Hope you know he scored a brace in his last match.

Abi you think say Athletico na Ewa Agoyin?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
I dey come with the rest of the stats.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Starboytwo:
so whats stopping him from doning the gwg, oh i remember, he wants to secure a big money move first abi, so we should wait for him.... una go make person hate this guy...

im thinking we dont need the guy, he should go play for england...

You post is bereft of facts, but emotion ridden. Nwanne cooluo ur temper, Eze bu nke anyi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Arabiandude:

choice man, choice... i will not even bother to invite someone wey no wan play for me.... make the guy go rest abeg... shaybi una say totenham wan buy am, we dey wait...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
junnyjake:

Oh, Osimhen came to sell fried fish and roasted plantain in the SE I believe.

Victor is very good but for me and that position has been consistent for over three years and nothing has convinced me otherwise, IGHALO is number 1 and Victor is number 2.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Good job
Danielnino00:

Had a 7.3 rating...

Interestingly, Wigan have moved from the relegation zone to having chance (albeit very slim) of making the playoffs..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
Danielnino00:

Had a 7.3 rating...

He lost possession 8 times

Haaaa!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:07pm On Jun 30, 2020
Barca fans, I greet you o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:08pm On Jun 30, 2020
Blueelf:

He lost possession 8 times

Haaaa!

That's not bad.

Some players lost more than that..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2020
ChrisKels:

I don't value opinions without deep thoughts seriously. When posts are made to impress the audience and in a bid have facts buried, I view the poster as a weakling chasing clout. That said, I wonder how you guys do it, as in, chicken out just so you wouldn't be seen as the odd one out.

Dude Ejaria and Eze no be mate ballistically, even Iwobi would sit for Eze as long as AM is concerned. Eze is the only thing our midfield lacks presently and I will be the happiest man the day we finally bags him. Ejaria isn't what we need now.

I understand your point bro but the truth is the lad ain't got love for Naija and would jump at the slightest opportunity to play for England like Tomori and Tammy

Such players can never give 100% to the Super Eagles. Hence, my apathy towards him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2020
Danielnino00:
Barca fans, I greet you o grin

cc Andrewbaba44 grin grin grin grin
Danielnino00:

That's not bad.

Some players lost more than that..

For a defender, it could be disastrous
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:10pm On Jun 30, 2020
i sincerely hope eze do not play for us, he should play for 3 lions if he sure for am...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:11pm On Jun 30, 2020
Blueelf:

I understand your point bro but the truth is the lad ain't got love for Naija and would jump at the slightest opportunity to play for England like Tomori and Tammy

Such players can never give 100% to the Super Eagles. Hence, my apathy towards him.

Still hearsay and emotions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:12pm On Jun 30, 2020
Joebie:
PLAYER MATCHDAY RATING/STATS | The Championship | Cardiff 0-0 Charlton

Chuks Aneke (CHAR) -- CF

He has a lot of potential indeed outstanding ability. But he is plagued by injury he has spent almost the whole season injured.

There was a period he had been injured for two seasons.

It will be difficult for him to get a good club, because he seems unable to play a season without injury. Clubs notice these things.

I had thought he was over his injury problems but it's been the case. As a result this season he has been missing in action.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8827) (8828) (8829) (8830) (8831) (8832) (8833) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: DrKlever(m), elyte89 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.