Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,968 members, 7,876,676 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 12:18 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (937) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12007997 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (934) (935) (936) (937) (938) (939) (940) ... (16402) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:26pm On May 14, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Awoniyi is back. Another goalalso

Confidence is coming back but unfortunately season is over.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:41pm On May 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

hope he carries this confidence to Liverpool pre season tourney. it will be helpful
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by denniece1(m): 3:43pm On May 14, 2017
AIG07:
good to hear him scoring again. Atleast, today's goal will boost his confidence in front of goal.
Unfortunately his team would have to play relegation playoffs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 3:51pm On May 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

Moses who just finished a 38 league season will burn out in 65 mins?? Come on, now.. His fitness can definitely cope with one fame.

Moses was not a wing back before this season. There is no reason why Echiejile can't play on the left for instance.

Phillippe Trouisser played 3 at the back when he qualified Nigeria for the world Cup.

do you remember Chelsea couldn't cope when Marcos and Moses had injury. So this tells you that not all players can be deployed there.

I don't have any problem with us switching to this formation. The issue is that we're not playing comoros but CAMEROUN for Christ Sake!

I can't laugh at the line up of Omuero, Balogun and Ekong at the heart of defence with Victor and Echiejile been d WBs. The level of confusion wey go hit that team no be here.

I'm not Rohr, but I can tell you categorically that if he uses it against Corsica, Togo in friendlies. He won't try it out in a WCQ game against an eternal and disciplined side like the camerounians.

*MODIFIED*
The Introduction of the 3-4-3 should be gradual and not sudden. Probably after securing our ticket in the two legged matches bill for august/sept den our matches against Zambia and Algeria will be good enough to experiment.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by denniece1(m): 3:56pm On May 14, 2017
Orji okonkwo with an assist for bologna

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:56pm On May 14, 2017
tbaba1234:

A lesson for all, it is not always how u start but how u finish. With all the goose eggs he laid, he will still always be remembered for the 2 goals that saved his club from relegation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:03pm On May 14, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

A lesson for all, it is not always how u start but how u finish. With all the goose eggs he laid, he will still always be remembered for the 2 goals that saved his club from relegation.
**smiles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:17pm On May 14, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The team is not safe yet.. They have to play playoffs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:18pm On May 14, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:19pm On May 14, 2017

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:27pm On May 14, 2017
denniece1:
Orji okonkwo with an assist for bologna
this thread that i read he can not control,take on, confused with the ball at leg. bla bla thank God he has an asist today
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:29pm On May 14, 2017
maidaboi:
this thread that i read he can not control,take on, confused with the ball at leg. bla bla thank God he has an asist today

Are you sure, you read about Orji Okonkwo?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:34pm On May 14, 2017
Orji Okonkwo Assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrnD_Ur0Tw

Link fixed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:54pm On May 14, 2017

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:32pm On May 14, 2017
AIG07:
have once stated this here. Even before chelsea became the favourite to win this season's EPL.

From my earlier post. You'll see that I stated that I fancy the set up. But it won't be easy integrating it into a national team set up.

I don't even know what to say when u mentioned that we've got the players to execute such a tactics. The truth is, presently we've only got Moses who is only sure for 65mins game time here in africa and to think we need atleast 3versatile WBs makes your claim a joke.
Before this season would any believe Moses can play the WB role, according to Moses, he was never informed nor trained as a WB before that first game, so can't say how many SE players can perform well as a WB. What do yu mean by we need 3versatile WB, clubs that play 38games or more a season and with the liberty to buy players can't boost of WBs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:41pm On May 14, 2017
tbaba1234:
Awoniyi's goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvXaHTpVgE
just pray the boy keeps improving great goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:42pm On May 14, 2017
Germany, hands off he is ours!!! This may yet be our best thing since losing Alaba

tbaba1234:
Jordan Torunarigha's goal, Someone should alert Rohr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjUcC7dlBh0&sns=tw
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:49pm On May 14, 2017
As much as I support the adoption of 3-4-3 which is very closel related to 3-5-2. We must not start this experiment with Cameroon. The idomitible Lions play with so much power and are very good at exploiting the flanks. Dynamism should alway be the watchword of any coach. We must be able to master smooth transition and switching of play before using the said formation in a crucial tie.

tbaba1234:

Iheanacho for Musa. This will be a good formation for the away game in Yaounde.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:59pm On May 14, 2017
Thank you! Which is why I said dynamism should ne the watchword of a coach. In fact players should be familiar with many formations. Meaning trying different tactics every now and than in training. And it's untrue we don't have the players to execute the sai formation. All I'm saying is we need to master the art of this formation which puts a lot of weight on the wing backs and gives the defensive midfielders an added role as a cover should the wing backs not track back in a timely manner. Let's test it in friendlies.

It's the formation of the future. I said this many pages back. Today Barcelona has joined in. Arsenal as well.

tbaba1234:

Arsenal just switched to a 3 4 3 formation a few weeks ago and their form has drastically improved. They are likely going to make top 4 even though it looked impossible a few weeks ago. It helps when you have two wing backs willing to defend. With Moses, we have one of the best in the world.

Rohr is having a camp, what better time to start testing it out. By the time, the Yaounde game comes, we can be more than ready to play like that if necessary.

It is not true that we do not have the players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:04pm On May 14, 2017
If you want to make a valid argument don't mention the African weather or pitch as it has been rightly pointed out that we have used the formation before in WC qualification successfully Let's restrict the argument to the question of if we have the players in the left flank to do the job. Mind you the best modern wingers play both flanks.

The solution is very easy. Let me hold my thought for a minute.

AIG07:

Good! Aside Moses, Kindly give me another WB we possess in our arsenal?

You need to factor other things when it comes to playing in Africa. I don't expect you to forget how harsh our Weather can be, the pitches are way different from what you can get in europe.

I bet you, the Moses you've just mention will burn out in 65mins if played in that role.

We can try any formation we need be it 2-7-1, 3-6-1, 3-5-2 or 1-8-1. Make we shall qualify first with the conventional 4 man defence our players sabi well well. Even with 4 men we no get clean sheet and you wan make we put 3 otondos for back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:26pm On May 14, 2017
Joebie:
Germany, hands off he is ours!!! This may yet be our best thing since losing Alaba

forget it brother
Germany has already gotten the lad
u know they rarely go after a player....but when they do it shows they may need that player...they have the convictions too
mind the national team coach applauded the young man recently and say he reminds him of boateng...that should tell you, he might have him in his plans

I believe rohr must have approached him before now, something tells me it never worked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:30pm On May 14, 2017
Joebie:

the only way to keep trap of lads of this kind
is to give them early national debut
I still remember I told a friend then.... when Dele Alli was still in Mk Dons that he should be invited to get train with the super eagles and when he got signed for spurs I repeated samething but my friend chide me...... but today the story is different

the truth is......league 1 in England or the German second tier league is far more developed , organized and mature than our league....pride won't let many here say the truth....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:45pm On May 14, 2017
Joebie:
If you want to make a valid argument don't mention the African weather or pitch as it has been rightly pointed out that we have used the formation before in WC qualification successfully Let's restrict the argument to the question of if we have the players in the left flank to do the job. Mind you the best modern wingers play both flanks.

The solution is very easy. Let me hold my thought for a minute.

I don't really have strength for lengthy arguements but I just need to answer your mention Sir.

wow! I now see. The beauty of the formation has clouded you guys judgement.

I can't even believe this is also coming from someone like you. The last time we played such formation under Phillippe Trouisser was prior to 98 world cup and thats almost 2decades ago. The weather we had then is incomparable to what we have now across the world.#fact. Africa has become warmer.

We all saw how Iwobi gased out during the second half in Ndola. Or you think our opponents will be fixing our game time to suits our boys coming from europe?

For the pitch I'm not a pro footballer, but I know what it means to play on a good and bad pitch...

Bottomline: weather and pitch quality are big factors when it comes to African Football.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by superbouck(m): 7:56pm On May 14, 2017
Dedebanky85:
You were on the right track until Musa appeared on your list

If you can not approve pls amend
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Psittacus(m): 8:15pm On May 14, 2017
AIG07:

I don't really have strength for lengthy arguements but I just need to answer your mention Sir.

I can't even believe this is also coming from someone like you. The last time we played such formation under Phillippe Trouisser was prior to 98 world cup and thats almost 2decades ago. The weather we had then is incomparable to what we have now across the world.#fact. Africa has become warmer.

We all saw how Iwobi gased out during the second half in Ndola. Or you think our opponents will be fixing our game time to suits our boys coming from europe?

For the pitch I'm not a pro footballer, but I know what it means to play on a good and bad pitch...

Bottomline: weather and pitch quality are big factors when it comes to African Football.
He scored a goal today already

TAIWO AWONIYI'S GOAL SEALS NEC NIJMEGEN AWAY WIN
Samuel Ahmadu
Having netted his debut goal last weekend, the Nigerian was on target again in the Dutch topflight to help his side secure an away win
Taiwo Awoniyi scored in his second straight match as he ensured NEC Nijmegen got a 2-0 victory over Heerenveen.
With Arnaut Groeneveld having put the visitors in front in the first half, the Nigerian netted his second goal of the season after replacing Kevin Mayi in the 55th minute.
The Liverpool loanee fired home the second goal courtesy of Dario Dumic's pass in the 64th minute to seal maximum points.
After being a back-to-back hero for his Dutch side, Awoniyi will depart Holland a happy man after seeing out his season long loan deal from the Reds.
The victory is his team's second win in a row and sees them finish 16th on the log with 34 points from 34 games to seal a relegation play-off spot.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:02pm On May 14, 2017
Seriously Iwobi as an example? Why didn't tht use Moses? You want a lengthy argument. The weather has changed and we have all been adapting. It has become warmer everywhere

AIG07:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:57pm On May 14, 2017
AIG07:
do you remember Chelsea couldn't cope when Marcos and Moses had injury. So this tells you that not all players can be deployed there.

I don't have any problem with us switching to this formation. The issue is that we're not playing comoros but CAMEROUN for Christ Sake!

I can't laugh at the line up of Omuero, Balogun and Ekong at the heart of defence with Victor and Echiejile been d WBs. The level of confusion wey go hit that team no be here.

I'm not Rohr, but I can tell you categorically that if he uses it against Corsica, Togo in friendlies. He won't try it out in a WCQ game against an eternal and disciplined side like the camerounians.

*MODIFIED*
The Introduction of the 3-4-3 should be gradual and not sudden. Probably after securing our ticket in the two legged matches bill for august/sept den our matches against Zambia and Algeria will be good enough to experiment.
Well said. The 3-4-3 system is the darling of systems now but let's qualify first before we sacrifice our good run on the altar of a sweet but untested strategy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 10:57pm On May 14, 2017
In football, a coach is very important to a player and team. Hyballa was sacked by NEC and they've won their 2 games since his sack and has also coincided with Awoniyi scoring in 2 games. Awoniyi is good but therr last coach made him comes from the wings.

BascoVanVeli:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 11:05pm On May 14, 2017
Just Iheanacho for Musa

superbouck:
If you can not approve pls amend
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:17pm On May 14, 2017
I hope Awoniyi's club survives and he stays there for another season. Now that he is starting to score goals, I think he needs some stability before going elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:41pm On May 14, 2017
Nothing is ever guaranteed. Cameroon is a new opponent as far as our WCQ is concerned. When Chelsea and Arsenal used the 3-4-3 and they made an impact almost immediately. Why?

1.The formation may be easy to adopt after all especially if you have the right wing back players.
2. The technicalities the formation demands may not have been alien to the players.

Any coach that plays out only one formation in training is a bad bad coach.

The reason why coaches try out different formation in training is so they can switch up play easily. A static minded coach will find it hard to bail out his wards when in danger during a game.

Rohr has used the said formation as his second choice formation in the past during training. I will find the link. So let's not make it sound like the 3-4-3 is some rocket science that demands careful experimentation.

At the end of the day, whenever Rohr chooses to adopt it in an actual game, I'm confident he will succeed with it.

MODIFIED

Some of our players are more versatile than we think. For the wing back we need dogged players with a stamina who have speed, can support the attack and can defend well in the flanks.

Some ex-SE players in the past who can play this role: Taye Taiwo, Celestine Babayaro, Chidi Odiah.

Some midfielders we have that can be tried in that role: Etebo, Shehu Abdullahi, Ndidi (Mind you he played as a left back for Genk several times in the past)

Musa Muhammad will play that role perfectly.

Mujtahida:

Well said. The 3-4-3 system is the darling of systems now but let's qualify first before we sacrifice our good run on the altar of a sweet but untested strategy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (934) (935) (936) (937) (938) (939) (940) ... (16402) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 18 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.