Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,301 members, 7,967,707 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 06:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9631) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12539964 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9628) (9629) (9630) (9631) (9632) (9633) (9634) ... (16746) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
Okay, just seeing this and I decided to top up a quick research into the subject and I found a document.

England does run a professional footballers' pension scheme and it also applies to retired footballers. But the thing is you must be registered with the scheme. So I don't know if Fashanu's claims are true but England does have a pension scheme.

safarigirl:
Please, house, is there any truth to Fashanu's claim, that England National team pays pension to ex-players?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:35pm On Oct 02, 2020
Danielnino00:

This begi begi attitude from Mali don too much grin

Make Dem frem am abeg...
Traore and Fati could become the first pair of black players to have a long lasting career with the Spanish national team,who knows? grin

Traore ? Hell no

Ansu fati? Big yes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:52pm On Oct 02, 2020
MetalJigsaw:
Osimhen May Get Bench Role In Juventus Vs Napoli As Gattuso Considers 4-3-3 Formation

completesports.com Oct 2, 2020 11:35 AM

Osimhen May Get Bench Role In Juventus Vs Napoli As Gattuso Considers 4-3-3 Formation
Victor Osimhen is likely to start from the substitutes’ bench when Napoli clash with Juventus at the Allianz Stadium , Turin, in their third Serie A game of the 2020/21 season on Sunday.

Osimhen was a 60th minute substitute in the first game when Napoli beat Parma 2-0, but saw full action as the Partenopei destroyed Genoa 6-0 last weekend, making an assist.

But ahead of this weekend’s crunch tie with the reigning Serie A champions, the Nigerian striker will start on the bench as coach Genaro Gattuso returns to 4-3-3 formation.

According to Areanapoli.it, Coach Gennaro Gattuso is called to dispel with the last formation. No 4-2-3-1 and above all, no Victor Osimhen from the first minute against Juventus in Turin.

Although, the other newspapers point to the Nigerian striker as the offensive pivot of Gattuso’s team for the next matchday of Serie A, La Gazzetta dello Sport go in the opposite direction.

“That is referring to a Napoli ready to take to the field with the 4-3-3 and then line up without the former Lille striker who should instead start from the bench and then come in when needed,” Areanapoli.it reported.

Osimhen on the other hand said that he was looking forward to coming up against Juventus superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo in the Serie A this season after joining Napoli from Lille in July.

Napoli’s first tough fixture of the season will be away to champions Juventus on matchday three. The game will see Osimhen come up against Ronaldo for the first time in his career.

Why can't Osimhen start in a 4-3-3?
I personally think he can play the role well enough..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 4:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
fabyom:
I said "so common" with us Yorubas not all. I am Yoruba myself, Ok.
Please I do not want to start a tribal stuff but the Igbos have proven their patriotism time and time again especially in sport. Look at the basketball team for example: Okogie (Timberwolves), Metu (Spurs), Nwora Jordan, Nnamdi Gabe Vincent (Maimi Heats) too many to count playing for Nigeria. However, that can't be said of Oladipo who is bent on playing for the U.S.A despite not been good enough and the Giannis brothers.

I will be happy if this argument ends here, bcoz I don't want it to results to a kind of competition between The Igbos and Yoruba, bcoz thats what you are making it look like nw,I hate tribalism.

However, what you've managed to do here is to handpick the names that suits ur position in this argument,u know this.But like I said before, make the argument end for Nigeria's sake.

Shalom

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:56pm On Oct 02, 2020
Exactly my thoughts too. He can play in a 4-3-3 but I think Rino Gattuso is looking at the opposition and how he eases Osimhen into the Serie A too. He wants to make the most of him at crucial times even as he eases him in. But Insigne is gonna be missing as he recuperates. Zielinski tested positive for Covid so the first XI may look a little different on Sunday either in a 4-3-3 or the 4-2-3-1.

Danielnino00:

Why can't Osimhen start in a 4-3-3?
I personally think he can play the role well enough..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:59pm On Oct 02, 2020
Saw an Art depicting how Gattuso may be planning to unleash Osimhen against Juventus in similar fashion to how he unleashed him at Parma.

See below. Lol

#AgentOfChaos grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:04pm On Oct 02, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Exactly my thoughts too. He can play in a 4-3-3 but I think Rino Gattuso is looking at the opposition and how he eases Osimhen into the Serie A too. He wants to make the most of him at crucial times even as he eases him in. But Insigne is gonna be missing as he recuperates. Zielinski tested positive for Covid so the first XI may look a little different on Sunday either in a 4-3-3 or the 4-2-3-1.

Its a big game... Big games require you use your best players..

What if Napoli are way down before he decides to bring in Osimhen??
Again,shouldn't it be better he gets to play in the 4-3-3 formation now so he can get used to it?
I mean it's not like Gatusso will bench him anytime he decides to switch to 4-3-3.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:05pm On Oct 02, 2020
Danielnino00:

You are very very shameless...
Chriskels already shared screenshots and link to the argument..
We were talking about Marko Grujic!

Markovic left Liverpool in January 2019, the argument was made in November 2019!

I don't know how many times you have been told this,but admitting your mistakes and apologising doesn't take the man out of you. .it doesn't take away your pride or anything...

Lol

Komekn no Dey ever admit mistakes

Dude just only know few things about English players

He doesn’t really know much about European football nor even follow the teams self grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2020
Danielnino00:

Even Fati own isn't sure..
Spain isn't really a country with strong affinity to black people,so he has to keep on doing very well at Barca for him to get called up..
If it was countries like Portugal,France,Belgium or England, then no problem..

You have a point about fati concerning Spain and black people

But I think he will last there sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:08pm On Oct 02, 2020
With Insigne and Zielinski out, we will see what he decides. I personally think Gattuso may feel Osimhen needs some little adjustment to do when it comes to the 4-3-3 as they should be working on that in training but he strongly believes Vic is ultimately lethal in a 4-2-3-1 while he keeps working on fitting him strongly into a 4-3-3.
Funny enough, Napoli didn't play 4-2-3-1 when Victor came on against Parma. They switched to 4-4-2. So this means Gattuso is still kinda trying out a few things to best utilise his new danger man.

Also, he didn't have the chance to do so against Sporting Lisbon b'cos of Covid. So he began the season with his tested and trusted 4-3-3 from last season using the players that executed it all season.

Danielnino00:

Its a big game... Big games require you use your best players..

What if Napoli are way down before he decides to bring in Osimhen??
Again,shouldn't it be better he gets to play in the 4-3-3 formation now so he can get used to it?
I mean it's not like Gatusso will bench him anytime he decides to switch to 4-3-3.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:08pm On Oct 02, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Lol

Komekn no Dey ever admit mistakes

Dude just only know few things about English players

He doesn’t really know much about European football nor even follow the teams self grin

I don't know what's so hard about it...

Well...every man to his own..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:12pm On Oct 02, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
With Insigne and Zielinski out, we will see what he decides. I personally think Gattuso may feel Osimhen needs some little adjustment to do when it comes to the 4-3-3 as they should be working on that in training but he strongly believes Vic is ultimately lethal in a 4-2-3-1 while he keeps working on fitting him strongly into a 4-3-3.
Funny enough, Napoli didn't play 4-2-3-1 when Victor came on against Parma. They switched to 4-4-2. So this means Gattuso is still kinda trying out a few things to best utilise his new danger man.

Also, he didn't have the chance to do so against Sporting Lisbon b'cos of Covid. So he began the season with his tested and trusted 4-3-3 from last season using the players that executed it all season.

Well .let's see what happens.
But I will really want like to see Osimhen start the game..

BTW,does that mean most of the Napoli players didn't test positive for covid-19 after all??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:20pm On Oct 02, 2020
Yeah, me too and there is a chance he could start. Time will tell. But one thing is certain, he will play a major role in that game from the start or from the bench.

Yes. Only one player has tested positive after two rounds of testing. And that one is Zielinski.
I think there would be another round of testing done this Saturday, so we wait. Thing is as things stand, the game on Sunday could still take place but if the latest results show another positive case especially from the pending 4-5 cases I read about just now, then they may postpone. Time will tell.

Danielnino00:

Well .let's see what happens.
But I will really want like to see Osimhen start the game..

BTW,does that mean most of the Napoli players didn't test positive for covid-19 after all??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 5:30pm On Oct 02, 2020
I won't allow you to put me on the spot. I was refering to only the yorubas in my first comment. You specifically called out an Igbo. That's why i had to handpicked same to suit my narratives. QED.
temi1290:

I will be happy if this argument ends here, bcoz I don't want it to results to a kind of competition between The Igbos and Yoruba, bcoz thats what you are making it look like nw,I hate tribalism.

However, what you've managed to do here is to handpick the names that suits ur position in this argument,u know this.But like I said before, make the argument end for Nigeria's sake.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 5:34pm On Oct 02, 2020
fabyom:
I won't allow you to put me on the spot. I was refering to only the yorubas in my first comment. You specifically called out an Igbo. That's why i had to handpicked same to suit my narratives. QED.

Tammy na igbo,abi which day did igbos start bearing Dele

Azin the only name u saw is Eze

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 5:36pm On Oct 02, 2020
Did it occur to you that none those guys you mentionedis a star in the NBA? Maybe, just maybe if they were, they would have chosen to play for the US too. I don tire for una argument. What an uninformed argument to put forth. You can do better.
fabyom:
I said "so common" with us Yorubas not all. I am Yoruba myself, Ok.
Please I do not want to start a tribal stuff but the Igbos have proven their patriotism time and time again especially in sport. Look at the basketball team for example: Okogie (Timberwolves), Metu (Spurs), Nwora Jordan, Nnamdi Gabe Vincent (Maimi Heats) too many to count playing for Nigeria. However, that can't be said of Oladipo who is bent on playing for the U.S.A despite not been good enough and the Giannis brothers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 5:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
thanks again Doc and Safarigirl

TheSuperNerd:
Ohh Safari already helped you out. Merci Milady.

Cc Chrisbro2 (aka Chrisooblog)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 5:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
Your wahala too much, abeg! You called out Eze and mentioned his tribe. You didn't do that for Tammy that was why I replied to you in that manner. Your claim on Dele is in agreement with my argument. Let's end this, abeg!
temi1290:

Tammy na igbo,abi which day did igbos start bearing Dele

Azin the only name u saw is Eze
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:43pm On Oct 02, 2020
Most welcome, you are, Chris. Good to have your original moniker back.

chrisooblog:
thanks again Doc and Safarigirl

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:45pm On Oct 02, 2020
Update:

Cc Danielnino00

The 4-5 pending cases have been redone and they all came back negative too. So it is just Zielinski and a staff member who are positive and have been isolated. The rest of the Napoli squad is negative including Osinhen with Insigne still out of Sunday's clash due to injury.

TheSuperNerd:
Yeah, me too and there is a chance he could start. Time will tell. But one thing is certain, he will play a major role in that game from the start or from the bench.

Yes. Only one player has tested positive after two rounds of testing. And that one is Zielinski.
I think there would be another round of testing done this Saturday, so we wait. Thing is as things stand, the game on Sunday could still take place but if the latest results show another positive case especially from the pending 4-5 cases I read about just now, then they may postpone. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:00pm On Oct 02, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Update:

Cc Danielnino00

The 4-5 pending cases have been redone and they all came back negative too. So it is just Zielinski and a staff member who are positive and have been isolated. The rest of the Napoli squad is negative including Osinhen with Insigne still out of Sunday's clash due to injury.

Good news then!!

Let's get to it grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 6:02pm On Oct 02, 2020
fabyom:
Your wahala too much, abeg! You called out Eze and mentioned his tribe. You didn't do that for Tammy that was why I replied to you in that manner. Your claim on Dele is in agreement with my argument. Let's end this, abeg!

So has mentioning Eze's tribe change the fact that Tammy isn't Yoruba nor Hausa or Igbo, and which yeye agreement you dey talk about,is Dele's foster parent also Yoruba.

Ur 'common with the Yoruba' statement is unnecessary, making it look like it mostly happens with the Yoruba FB's
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 6:37pm On Oct 02, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Alright, so I got info that Saka reached out to Rohr to inform him of hus decision to honor England's call-up just before Southgate released the England list.

A few hopeful among my sources say he may be trying to test the waters especially with the new Nationality switch rule in place which can enable him still switch in case England does not give him enough chances. Anyway, whatever the case, the reality is Saka is now for England and his decision has been made.

This is a lad that didn't want much drama and didn't take Nigeria for a ride. He asked for time in September and now in October, he has decided to pick England.

This is why I know Nigerians in general wouldn't drag him too much unlike how they drag Tomori, Tammy and Billing all of whom played a funny game of clout chasing with Nigeria. But no hard feelings ooo... Clout chasing or not... The bottomline is that their hearts were never with us and in the end, you cannot blame them. They went for the more attractive option.

I am only pointing out the fact that Bukayo Saka did things differently from the rest even in choosing England over Nigeria.

Now I hope his injury isn't serious so that England can begin capping the lad and ending any hopes of a switch back to us so that this whole Saka to Nigeria "Maybe" talks can die once and for all and we focus on our other lads. Finito.

Southgate should capped him ASAP.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:38pm On Oct 02, 2020
See them

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 02, 2020
Anyone in action today?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2020
Subzero047:
See them

He has no future at mancity

Or was he hoping for a spot at man city so he can play for England but if no spot there he will choose naija while playing for those epl small teams or in the championship grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:06pm On Oct 02, 2020
Bolowolowo:
Anyone in action today?

Union berlin vs Mainz as awoniyi will be starting from the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:10pm On Oct 02, 2020
Awaziem is currently starting for Boavista in the Portuguese Top-flight. Paired with WC winner, Adil Rami in Central defence.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 7:14pm On Oct 02, 2020
Subzero047:
See them

Clout Chasers !

Half Nigerians
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by barackodam: 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2020
Subzero047:
See them

What were we expecting before? grin

If we were expecting anything different, then it only means we haven't learned any lessons
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:11pm On Oct 02, 2020
Transfer News

Who remember the Triple-Nationality lads, the Bennetts?

Jayden Ugonna Bennetts (younger Bennetts, 19) is now clubless.

Well, his elder bro, 21 yrs old Keanan Chidozie Bennetts just joined English league one side, Ipswich Town on season long loan from Borussia MochenGladbach.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:21pm On Oct 02, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (9628) (9629) (9630) (9631) (9632) (9633) (9634) ... (16746) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ThanosKilla(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.