Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,344 members, 7,888,097 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:10 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (976) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12067136 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (973) (974) (975) (976) (977) (978) (979) ... (16431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:52pm On May 25, 2017
Joebie:
if I give my pikin advise, must the whole world know.. no be for the same house we dey stay?

in fact the papa himself must feel more German than Nigerian. Maybe his role at Hertha Berlin U-10 or whatever dey catch am. You know there are these category of Nigerians that go abroad, and all the say or think of Nigeria is negativity, in fact they pledge their allegiance to Oyinbo. I suspect he is that kind of person. lol

may be him too wanna impress the German FA...
eye service...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:55pm On May 25, 2017
komekn:

I agree with your opinion 100%.

However, the mentality of our Managers and recruitment teams is so age biased it is unbelievable.

A boy of 17 can be rated higher than a player of 23 who is much better on the basis of future potential.

However if you have had the opportunity to prove your quality age will be ignored. Example of Jermain Defoe at 34 Bournemouth are paying him £130k a week new signing.

Sometimes I don't blame Africans for age cheating it's the only way to get an opportunity.

If I was to say to a premiership team I have an excellent player who is 25 in Sweden there will be no interest WHATSOEVER. However, if I say I have an excellent 16/17 year old we will have discussions.

Can you explain what you mean by owner please TPI has been outlawed by FIFA in Europe since 2015.

Most players in the NPFL are on loan from various grassroot teams. In this case he is a property of a team called Oakzeal academy on loan to Rangers.
That is the reason why Rangers had their hands tied when he travelled out to Tunisia. They couldn't recall him,they no get mouth.

However, Rangers will be due to get a cut from any deal he signs. Player ownership in Nigeria is complicated. You could be dealing with chains and chains of owners. Everybody wants a cut. Remember Sunday Mbah's case? That's a child's play with player ownership tussle with the local teams here.

I suspect that was the same case with Stephen Odeh and his botched trials. His direct owners got him a trial in Europe without the knowledge of MFM.

Even Etebor was not a direct property of Warri Wolves. You can do your investigations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:26pm On May 25, 2017
Icon79:
OK. Good to know but are you 100% sure that we have a full squad?

Who would partner Ekong in the Center Back?
Who would play the anchor role (#4 DM)?
What about RB?

I think we're still missing bits and pieces of the team, unless we decide to play people in the wrong positions.
Let's hope I am wrong tho.

O pari

Your observations is spot on. Full squad in terms of numbers but not in terms of functions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:34pm On May 25, 2017
zoboizee:
How come we have so many talented players nowadays. Hope Rohr can really mold them into a trophy winning team.
1.Carl Ikeme
2. Daniel Akpeyi
3.Ikechukwu Ezenwa
4. William Troost-Ekong.
5.Kelechi Iheanacho.
6. Alhassan Ibrahim.
7.Henry Onyekuru.
8.Mikel Agu.
9.Ahmed Musa.
10.Elderson Echiejile.
11.Oghenekaro Etebo.
12.Chidozie Awaziem.
13.Shehu Abdullahi.
14. Mikel Obi
15. John Ogu
16. Tyronne Ebuehi
17. Ndidi Wilfred
18. Uche Agbo
19. Ola Aina
20. Sareren Bazee
21. Isaac Success
22. Kenneth Omeruo
23. Ogenyi Onazi
24. Moses Simon
25. Victor Moses
26. Larry Kayode
27. Leon Balogun
28. Brown Ideye
29. Odion Ighalo
30. Victor Osimeh
31. Alex Iwobi
Wahala dey. Apart from Ideye and Ighalo dropping anyone from this team will touch my bone. It's kinda hard

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:41pm On May 25, 2017
Mujtahida:

Your observations is spot on. Full squad in terms of numbers but not in terms of functions.

Every position is covered.

Gk - Ezenwa, Alampasu
DL:Elderson, Tyronne
DC: Ekong, Agbo, Awaziem
DR:Tyronne, shehu
DM: Agbo, Agu, Shehu, Etebo
AM:Etebo, Muazzam, iheanacho
FC: Iheanacho, Odey
AMR/L: Olatubosun, Onyekuru, Etebo, Musa

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:24pm On May 25, 2017
goldfish80:

Most players in the NPFL are on loan from various grassroot teams. In this case he is a property of a team called Oakzeal academy on loan to Rangers.
That is the reason why Rangers had their hands tied when he travelled out to Tunisia. They couldn't recall him,they no get mouth.

However, Rangers will be due to get a cut from any deal he signs. Player ownership in Nigeria is complicated. You could be dealing with chains and chains of owners. Everybody wants a cut. Remember Sunday Mbah's case? That's a child's play with player ownership tussle with the local teams here.

I suspect that was the same case with Stephen Odeh and his botched trials. His direct owners got him a trial in Europe without the knowledge of MFM.

Even Etebor was not a direct property of Warri Wolves. You can do your investigations.

I was involved with a premiership team that wanted to sign him at his peak.

Then Amaju was running Warri Wolves, the amount of confusion surrounding him under-dealing and posturing was simply MAD I remove hand.

I actually believe a lot of problems Nigerian players are facing is the direct cause of thier selfish and greedy agents.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:30pm On May 25, 2017
Daninya11:

Bascovanveli, see your guy o doing wonders in camp. Just as you rightly opined, Muazzum is the most ready of NPFL players.

I told a couple of Akwa fans not to get used to this guy. Lets just hope he does the right things off the field because he is a bluechip talent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:58pm On May 25, 2017
Icon79:
You've said it, my brother. Too many loopholes in the whole story, jare. I think some of these guys only develop interest in Nigeria when they are ignored by England.

Take the case of Dominic Iorfa instance, last year, his dad declared that he would not rep Naija. Fast forward a few months later, Iorfa was dump on the bench by his club, the same man (his dad) cried out that he was only being punished by his coach because he chose Nigeria over England. And now, the same player is getting an invite to England U-21.

Strange days....

O pari

I always remember Iorfa Sr saying that Dominic will represent Nigeria at senior level.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:05pm On May 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I always remember Iorfa Sr saying that Dominic will represent Nigeria at senior level.
the man is playing a fast one on us abeg....
his father has his eyes on 3 lions shirt fr his son just wanna use SE as a backup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:16pm On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

Every position is covered.

Gk - Ezenwa, Alampasu
DL:Elderson, Tyronne
DC: Ekong, Agbo, Awaziem
DR:Tyronne, shehu
DM: Agbo, Agu, Shehu, Etebo
AM:Etebo, Muazzam, iheanacho
FC: Iheanacho, Odey
AMR/L: Olatubosun, Onyekuru, Etebo, Musa
I Was being stereotypical in the way I judged them functions. You are right - room for versatility and switching of functions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:32pm On May 25, 2017
Humility017:

the man is playing a fast one on us abeg....
his father has his eyes on 3 lions shirt fr his son just wanna use SE as a backup

It could be but till then we can only go by what he says. We can't call Iorfa Sr a liar until the NFF moves to call Dominic and he refuses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2017
Na wa ooooo... leave these guys and lady (plus other ghost mode ladies and guys) for just a couple of hours and on returning , they have ghosted pass four or five pages already!!!!! angry angry

Una be Bolt's relatives?? angry

Wetin sef? haba!!! This Race to Page 1000 is real oooo.... Chaaiiiii... I pray I will be there to mark page 1000 biko... I refuse to be left behind!!!! angry

Anyway, Good to know Iheanacho is digging it really good in camp with MuaZam.... Hahahahahahahahaha... MuaZam is a super talent that needs no much talk... his style of play right from the U-17s before the MRI happened have been Behind and magical... I am so happy Rohr's local eyes fished him out.... lad is too good to be ignored for long. hehehehehe.... Alhassan Ibrahim Abdullahi... Aka MuaZam... hehehehee... abeg keep it up biko... never doubted your talents man. wink smiley

Henry The Onyekuru... lol.... stubborn wey too like goals grin

So I read that the trio of Onyekuru, Alhassan MuaZam, and Iheanacho combined to devastating effects in training... could that be our starting front line tomorrow? hmmm... time will tell.... wink

#RaceToPage1000...... 25 pages to go lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:43pm On May 25, 2017
Corsica Coach – Nigeria Have Some Of The Best Emerging Talents In The World

Coach of the Corsica national team Jean-Michel Cavalli has hailed the quality of players in the camp of tomorrow’s friendly opponent the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Speaking at the pre match conference Cavalli rated the players in the Nigerian team as some of the best talents in the world at the moment, and also players who are the future of football in Africa.

The coach who presently handles Algerian side MC Oran said he know tomorrow’s clash won’t be an easy ride for his lads due to the quality in the team of Nigeria lead by coach Gernot Rohr.

” Nigeria are one of the most interesting team to watch in Africa at the moment . They have some of the best emerging talents in the world, which will make tomorrow’s game a classic”, the 57 year old said.

” It’s a privilege to play Nigeria. It’ll be a good game. Nigeria will reveal our competitive levels tomorrow”.

His captain and goalkeeper Nicolas Penneteau also echoed the manager’s thought in telling fans of both teams to expect a cracker, which he hopes will also help improve as a player.

” I’m happy to wear the Corsica colours for the second time, hoping to have a good game against Nigeria “, he said.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/25/corsica-coach-nigeria-have-some-of-the-best-emerging-talents-in-the-world/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:46pm On May 25, 2017
Victor Osimhen Benched As Wolfsburg Secure First Leg Advantage In Play-Offs

The recent run of games enjoyed by Victor Osimhen in the first team of Wolfsburg has been halted as Wolfsburg picked up a slim 1-0 win over Eintracht Braunschweig in the first leg of the Bundesliga Relegation /Promotion play-offs.

18 year old Osimhen made his first team debut against Borrusia Monchenglabach on the 13th of May, and was also introduced in their last game of the season against Hamburg, which they lost 1-2.

The loss to Hamburg saw them drop into the promotion/relegation play-offs, which made Osimhen to pull out of the Super Eagles upcoming friendly games against Corsica and Togo.

However he failed to add to the total of 45 minutes he has seen in the Bundesliga this season, as he was left on the bench in the game decided by a well taken penalty from Mario Gomes.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/25/victor-osimhen-benched-as-wolfsburg-secure-first-leg-advantage-in-play-offs/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:53pm On May 25, 2017
Details Of Eagles Practice Match- Onyekuru, Mu’azam & Iheanacho Combine To Devastating Effect

The Super Eagles of Nigeria had their second training session ahead of tomorrow’s friendly against Corsica in Ajaccio, France.
Coach Gernot Rohr split the 16 players in camp into two teams of 8 each in the session that lasted close a little above one hour around 8am Nigerian time.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa was in goal for the team that has William Troost-Ekong, Tyrone Ebuehi, Uche Agbo, Mikel Agu, Kelechi Iheanacho, Alhassan Ibrahim (Mu’azam) and Henry Onyekuru.

The other team had Dele Alampasu in goal with Shehu Abdullahi, Sikiru Olatubosun, Stephen Odey, Ahmed Musa, Elderson Echiejile,Oghenekaro Etebo and Chidozie Awaziem completing the 8 man team.

At the end of the game, the team with Onyekuru, Mu’azam and
Iheanacho emerged as winners with the aforementioned trio proving too much too handle for the likes of Awaziem, Echiejile and Abdullahi.

Their combination was laced with the space of Onyekuru, the craft of Mu’azam and the finishing abilities of Iheanacho, although Mu’azam also got on the score sheet with a cheeky goal.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/25/‪details-of-eagles-practice-match-onyekuru-muazam-iheanacho-combine-to-devastating-effect‬/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:05am On May 26, 2017
Woah! have any idea what club he joined?.... I know a little about Budapest sides in Hungary...
sides like Ferencvaros especially come to mind.

I hope he doesn't stay too long in the league shaa... hopes he moves on from there to a better league and side. Lad's talents and potentials are kinda big for hungary in my honest opinion. He deserves better... much better or close to better at least.

tbaba1234:
Terrible news.

Obinna Nwobodo has joined a side in Hungary.

Hungary? Seriously, that is just depressing. Where is the progress from there?

Jos.eph1013, Icon.4s, TheSu.perNerd
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:22am On May 26, 2017
Echiejile : Eagles Won ’ t Underrate Corsica

Super Eagles left-back, Elderson Echiejile, has stated that the Super Eagles will not underrate their Corsica opponents when they clash In an international friendly match at the Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio on Friday.

Echiejile who is expected to captain the side in Friday's encounter in the absence of skipper John Mikel Obi and his assistant Ogenyi Onazi, revealed that Corsica parade good players plying their trade in the French Ligue 1 and they will not be pushovers.

The 29 year old defender who featured for Standard Liege in Belgium and Sport Gijon in Spain this season also added that the Super Eagles are gradually improving under coach Gernot Rohr with the healthy competitions the new player coming in to the squad offer.

"I know a bit about them, when I was here in France. Most of their players play in the Ligue One, so I expect a tough challenge from them. We cannot afford to, and will not underrate them," Elderson told thenff.com

"The team is improving after every game, but there are places in the team the coach thinks need more competition which to me is a welcome development.

"Every good team needs a good backup and I think that is what has informed the reason for the new faces in the team for these friendlies," he opined.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/echiejile-eagles-wont-underrate-corsica/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:28am On May 26, 2017
Sir Legend Tbaba1234..... I just did a quick search and finds that Ujpest is the club.

Well, Ujpest is currently 7th in the 12-team Hungarian Top-flight Division (NB I).

They also have a player called Bardhi who is third top scorer in the League with 12 goals (top scorer has 15).

I think I will start keeping tabs on Hungary now that Obinna Nwobodo is there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:52am On May 26, 2017
Eagles Training – Iheanacho Dazzles, Mu’azam & Mikel Make List Of Top Performers

The class of Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho was very much on show in his first training session with the Super Eagles of Nigeria ahead of their friendly game against Corsica tomorrow.

Iheanacho showed his predatory instincts in the box with his finishing catching the eyes in the 8 -a-side game they played in training, where he ended up on the winning side.

Alhassan Ibrahim continued to wow Gernot Rohr with his performances in training with another star showing today as he combined nicely with Iheanacho in the practice match, with a cheeky finish helping him get among the goals.

FC Porto Mikel Agu provided steel for his team in the midfield especially his performances in duels, but his abilities on the ball and the way he brings others into play was the highlight of his performance.

Although he ended up on the losing side Ogehenekaro Etebo was also very impressive and barring any last minute change could be the Eagles joker against Corsica tomorrow.
Tyrone Ebuehi, William Troost-Ekong and Dele Alampasu complete the list of players who put in a good shift in today’s (yesterday's) training, with the MFM duo of Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatubosun yet to hit their stride in training.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/25/eagles-training-iheanacho-dazzles-muazam-mikel-make-list-of-top-performers/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:00am On May 26, 2017
Henry Onyekuru: A gamble worth taking for Arsenal
By Toby Prince

Nigerian youngster, Henry Onyekuru, has been linked with a handful of top European sides with the latest being Premier League giants, Arsenal. Though a huge gamble due to his inexperience, however, the Belgium-based forward might just turn out to be a hit if he eventually moves to the Emirates.

Arsenal, as we all know, is renowned for spotting and nurturing young talents into world beaters. The Gunners, under the stewardship of Arsene Wenger, has consistently aided the development of young players into rounded talents. It is for this reason that the club is considered one of the safest havens for teenagers, with Onyekuru likely to be the next to join this elite class.

Should the Gunners eventually meet his £6.8m buyout clause, Onyekuru will become the third Nigerian after Nwankwo Kanu and Alex Iwobi to play for the club. Just like the former, Onyekuru’s remarkable goalscoring exploits for modest Belgian side, KAS Eupen, was what triggered Arsenal and other sides to come crawling at him.

The 19-year-old finished as the league’s top scorer with an incredible 22 goals and a further nine assists.

It was undoubtedly a breakthrough campaign for the teenager, though he did show promise in 2015/16, netting six times en route to Eupen’s promotion to the top tier.

Born in Onitsha, South-East, Nigeria, Onyekuru was spotted playing in his homeland and brought to the Aspire Academy in Senegal before linking up with Eupen who are owned by the Aspire Zone Foundation, in the summer of 2015. Since then, he has blossomed into one of the hottest properties in Belgium and by extension in the whole of Europe.

Why sign Onyekuru?

Henry Onyekuru has struck 25 goals in all competitions for Eupen

Henry Onyekuru might not be your ideal Arsenal signing; the high-profile buy many Gunners may have been clamouring for. However, what is crystal clear is that his addition will strengthen Wenger’s squad. For a team heavily reliant on Alexis Sanchez for goals, the arrival of another consistent goal poacher will more than lighten the workload on the Chilean. That’s if the latter indeed stays beyond the current campaign.

Just like Sanchez, Onyekuru has single-handedly shouldered the goalscoring burden of his team, which probably would have been relegated without him. In fact, the Nigerian was responsible for more than one-third of the goals scored by Eupen – highlighting his relevance to the side. In the event of Sanchez’s imminent departure from the Emirates, the 19-year-old could just be that player to deliver the goods for the Gunners in the future.

And interestingly, Arsenal doesn’t have to go through much duress in order to sign him. First, his £6.8m is very much affordable by the Gunners, besides, Onyekuru himself fantasises about playing for the club. He admitted in 2016: “I’m a huge Arsenal fan, Thierry Henry is my idol. Now I’m a professional footballer, I try to copy him as much as possible. ”

So what does Henry Onyekuru bring to the fore?

Onyekuru’s biggest asset is obviously his finishing. The young Nigerian, who only turned pro in 2015, flaunts a terrific return of around 30 strikes in just 60 games for Eupen.

Although there’s much more to his game aside from his incredible eyes for goal. Onyekuru, who is adept at playing anywhere in attack, possess blistering pace, superb skills, and movement – similar to that of his idol, Henry. His low centre of gravity (5ft 9in) enables him to change direction rapidly with a good close control. Perhaps, it has to do with the fact that he runs and dribbles with a straight stance, not hunching.

How he compares to Arsenal’s forwards

Using goals as the major metric, then Onyekuru is only second to Sanchez who notched five(or six) more than the Nigerian in all competitions. Aside the Chilean, Onyekuru found the back of the net more times than the club’s other marksmen. His style of play is a blend of Theo Walcott’s pace and Mesut Ozil’s sleekness coupled with a finishing touch similar to that of Sanchez.

Source: http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/2017/05/25/henry-onyekuru-a-gamble-worth-taking-by-arsenal/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:06am On May 26, 2017
Coach Of South Africa Picks Out Three “Dangermen” In The Nigerian Team SA Must Stop

Newly appointed coach of the Bafana Bafana of South Africa says beating Nigeria in Uyo when they clash on the 10th of June in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers is possible.

The coach who realised a squad of 25 players for the tie insist he has a squad mixed with youth and experience who will be able to get a positive result against Nigeria.

” We are not scared of Nigeria, we just need to be at our best to stop them from causing us trouble. Everybody knows about the quality of Victor Moses, Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi, they are by far the three men who can do damages for Nigeria “, Baxter said.

“We have also looked at aerial strength and tried to spread that well throughout the team; it means if we can have good preparation before we go, then we have a squad that is capable of giving Nigeria a good game.”

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/25/coach-of-south-africa-picks-out-three-dangermen-in-the-nigerian-team-sa-must-stop/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:09am On May 26, 2017
Kayode Scores 17th League Goal As Austria Vienna Lose To Champions

Olarenwaju Kayode netted his 17th goal in the Bundesliga in Austria Vienna's 3-2 loss to Salzburg at the Ernst-Happel-Stadion on Thursday evening.

The Nigeria international scored a second goal for the capital team to give them a 2-0 lead after 29 minutes, but the champions fought back to level the match before getting the winner in the 66th minute.

In the race for the top scorer award, Kayode is topping the goal charts as nearest challenger Deni Alar fired blanks in
Sturm Graz's 2-1 win versus Admira Moedling.

This season, the 24-year-old has plundered a career-high 24 goals in all competitions, with five of the strikes coming in the Europa League.

He was omitted from Nigeria's training camp in Corsica because the league won't conclude until Sunday, May 28.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23180
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:15am On May 26, 2017
MFM Coach Ilechukwu : We ’ ll Excel In NPFL Without Odey , Olatunbosun
By Izuchukwu Okosi

Mountain of Fire and Miracles FC coach Fidelis Ilechukwu is in confident mood ahead of his team’s week 21 away game in the Nigeria Professional Football league against Niger Tornadoes on Sunday and insists his team will strive to get a decent result in Minna without Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatunbosun, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The MFM players along with Akwa United’s Alhassan Ibrahim and FC Ifeanyiubah keeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa made the Super Eagles’ list for the friendly matches against Corsica and Togo.

“Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatunbosun are very important players to the team no doubt. Everybody sees what they bring to this team but at the same time we will do our best without them,” Ilechukwu told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“The boys are honouring a national call and I believe that their experience with the players from Europe will be worthwhile.

“Niger Tornadoes will not be easy I know but we want to give them a difficult time right in their own backyard. There are no promises to our fans but personally a win away from home will be great.”

MFM are second in the NPFL table with 34 points from 20 games while Tornadoes are in eighth place with 30 points after 20 league matches.

MFM will also play against FC IfeanyiUbah (home, June 4), Lobi Stars (away, June 7) while Odey, NPFL top scorer with 14 goals, and Olatunbosun are away on national duty.

The home game against Shooting Stars FC of Ibadan on June 11, a day after the 2019 African Cup of Nations qualifer against South Africa, may come a bit early for Odey and Olatunbosun if they make the cut for the crucial game.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mfm-coach-ilechukwu-well-cope-npfl-without-odey-olatunbosun/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:25am On May 26, 2017
‘We won’t fail Corsica test’
by Humphrey Njoku 25 May 2017, 15:23

Ikechukwu Ezenwa © Shengolpixs

Super Eagles goalkeeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa has promised a great game against the French Island of Corsica.

The three-time African champions will confront the Islanders in Friday’s international friendly clash at the Stade Francois Coty, Ajaccio.

Ezenwa said his teammates are in high spirit to give their very best performance against the Corsica senior team.

“Training has been largely fun for the entire players, every single person right here is quite ready for the friendly clash against the Corsica senior team.

“We are in good spirit to give good account of ourselves in the encounter, I think Nigerians should expect a great game from us tomorrow (Friday),” said the FC IfeanyiUbah shot stopper to supersport.com.

Ezenwa said he has been role modelling the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) newcomers, Ibrahim Alhassan, Sikiru Olatunbosun and Stephen Odey to be good performers in the game.

“Yes, we have been talking about the match and the need to perform for the sake of the domestic league.

“I’m quite confident none of them will disappoint given the opportunity to play any role in the game,” said the former Sunshine Stars goalie.

Eagles will later test their strength in a build-up clash against the Hawks of Togo in readiness for its Africa Cup of Nations clash against the South African opposite, Bafana Bafana on June 10 at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170525/We_wont_fail_Corsica_test
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:29am On May 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

We are on the cusp of a new era. Even foreigners are beginning to feel the tremors (let me borrow Chrismario's word). The Coach of Corsica said as much too. So if the parents of these boys are blind, na dem sabi. Maybe they need a Dibia to sound it into them. We need all our talents - home grown, foreign born, all. Let's approach, persuade, entice and encourage everyone but who want do yanga, we free am.

This football thing is a tide. One time (as in contemporary times)it was France 98-02, then Spain 2008-2014, currently Germany. It looks like ours has come. Incidentally it has coincided with the auspicious arrival of Rohr to help us manage our usual incompetence small. And then the deal signed by NFF with Aiteo to take care of the bills of our Coaches. Who knows what the soccer gods have decreed. But the omens look good.

Chriskels says hi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:34am On May 26, 2017
Corsican Association Offers Children Free Tickets To Watch & Welcome Super Eagles Stars

The Corsica Federation, Ligue Corse de Football, have offered free tickets to children up to twelve years old living in the Island to watch Friday's friendly between Corsica and Nigeria.

The Squadra Corsa association presided by Dédé Discala says he wants to give an opportunity to the children and their companion to see the big names on the Nigerian team, including Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho and Leicester City striker Ahmed Musa.

''We want them to share this moment and that it remains a beautiful memory for them," Dédé Discala was quoted as saying by Corse Matin .

"Around the flags of Corsica and Nigeria, it seemed interesting to us to send the message of a welcoming island with children , social categories and very different origins.

''That is what it is to live together and it is very important for us.''

The children will welcome the two national teams to the pitch before joining the spectators to watch the game, which begins at 2000 hours.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23172
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:46am On May 26, 2017
Official : Millwall Thrashing Out New Deal With Former Dream Team VI Target

Fred Onyedimma

Newly promoted EFL Championship side Millwall have published their retained and released list following the conclusion of the 2016-2017 season.

The London club have stated via their official website that they are negotiating with Fred Onyedinma over a new deal.

Born in Lagos before relocating to the United Kingdom, the midfielder has spent the entirety of his career with the Lions, rising through the ranks before making his competitive debut against Southend United three years ago.

Queens Park Rangers, Watford and Hull City are aware of the situation of Onyedinma and prepared to swoop for the talented Nigerian if he doesn't extend his stay at The Den.

The 20-year-old was invited to the Nigerian Olympic National Team for a training camp in December 2014.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : millwallfc.co.uk

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23174
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:51am On May 26, 2017
Stuart Baxter says he has a Man Utd scout watching Nigeria v Togo and filing a game report for him ahead of the Bafana game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:42am On May 26, 2017
Best video of Onyekuru out there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yal9Imn2ttg

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:24am On May 26, 2017
Interesting..... and the man utd scout will also be there for man utd scouting business as usual naa.... abi?

hmmm.... seems like this scout is a friend of Baxter orrrr.... well, I dont know... paid guy (working two ways), Friend, whatever....

But this is no different from how Leekens of Algeria studied our team so deeply prior to their 3-1 bashing at our hands... so talk is cheap... it's matchday action that speaks and decides it all.

So let him keep talking.... wink

tbaba1234:
Stuart Baxter says he has a Man Utd scout watching Nigeria v Togo and filing a game report for him ahead of the Bafana game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:29am On May 26, 2017
#OpponentsWatch #Afcon2019QualifiersCountdown
....................................................................................................

Super Eagles fans

Baxter unveils loaded squad for Eagles
by Andrew Randa

South Africa coach Stuart Baxter has named 25 players for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Nigeria on June 10 at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo.

The squad consists of 5 players from overseas and 20 players from the South Africa Premier Soccer League (PSL).

The newly appointed coach who is making his first squad announcement kept faith with majority of the squad that played in the friendlies against Guinea-Bissau and Angola.

Baxter has recalled goalkeeper Ronwen Williams, while Bongani Zulu, Tokelo Rantie and Aubrey Ngoma are also included.

Regulars that made Baxter’s first squad announcement include Itumeleng Khune, Rivaldo Coetzee, Keegan Dolly, Dean Furman, Andile Jali and Kermit Erasmus.

South Africa will look to do one over the Super Eagles with whom they haven’t had much success against. The Bafana Bafana have faced Nigeria 12 times and have lost seven of those and drawn four.

The solitary win over Nigeria came in Baxter’s first stint with the team in 2004 in an international friendly at Ellis Park.

The squad

GOALKEEPERS: Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Darren Keet (BidVest Wits), Ronwen Williams (SuperSport United)

DEFENDERS: Ramahlwe Mphahlele (Kaizer Chiefs), Rivaldo Coetzee (Ajax Cape Town), Thulani Hlatshwayo (BidVest Wits), Erick Mathoho (Kaizer Chiefs), Lorenzo Gordinho (Kaizer Chiefs), Abbubaker Mobara (Orlando Pirates), Tebogo Langerman (Mamelodi Sundowns), Sifiso Hlanti (BidVest Wits)

MIDFIELDERS: Hlompho Kekana (Mamelodi Sundowns), Keagan Dolly (Montpellier, France), Andile Jali (KV Oostende FC, Belgium), Kamohelo Mokotjo (FC Twente, Netherlands), Dean Furman (SuperSport United), Themba Zwane (Mamelodi Sundowns), Bongani Zungu (Vitoria Guimares, Portugal), Aubrey Ngoma (Cape Town City FC)

STRIKERS: Sibusiso Vilakazi (Mamelodi Sundowns), Percy Tau (Mamelodi Sundowns), Lebohang Manyama (Cape Town City FC), Tokelo Rantie (Genclerbirligi FC, Turkey), Thamsanqa Gabuza (Orlando Pirates), Kermit Erasmus (Lens, France)

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170526/Baxter_unveils_loaded_squad_for_Eagles

(1) (2) (3) ... (973) (974) (975) (976) (977) (978) (979) ... (16431) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.