Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,881 members, 7,976,281 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 01:10 AM

Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? (3434 Views)

Men That Do House Chores For Their Wives (Photos) / "I Am Too Beautiful To Do House Chores" - Nigerian Woman. See Reactions / Is It Right To Share House Chores Between Husband And Wife? Bamisepeters' Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 7:50am On Apr 04, 2016
A friend was telling me how a family use to pay their kids for doing house chores.
I asked him why it's so, he said the mum said she doesn't see any wrong in it.
That instead of paying others or house help to do the job she will rather pay her kids to do it, according to her some parents pay their children allowance but she likes paying hers for job done in the home instead.
That she is also using it to discourage laziness. My question is do you support it? Will it not make the kids to be to conscious of money or spoil them? What if some circumstances makes it difficult for the parent not to pay promptly, will the kids still be motivated to do the chores? What's your take, will you pay your kids to do chores or not?
Let's hear your opinion.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by byvan03: 7:56am On Apr 04, 2016
Why will I pay my kids to do house chores? It's inappropriate, you clean up where you live, that is basic orientation in letting them know their obligations around the house. I share the chores and leave the age appropriate portions for them while I do the rest.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 7:59am On Apr 04, 2016
byvan03:
Why will I pay my kids to do house chores? It's inappropriate, you clean up where you live, that is basic orientation in letting them know their obligations around the house. I share the chores and leave the age appropriate portions for them while I do the rest.

That's how I see it to too, I am not quite comfortable with the idea.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Cutehector(m): 7:59am On Apr 04, 2016
Well, in another point of view, I'd encourage it... since it makes them to understand the values of money.. and to discourage laziness and the thought of things being handed down to them for free

But in another case, why give money to dem when they are my kids? They ought to know what their role is in the family... as long as I pay their school fees, cloth and feed them, they ought to reciprocate that kind gesture by doing chores at home...

But if you ask me abt my opinion on that specifically, i'd say it should only be done when the children are very matured enough.. 18 yrs above

3 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by bigabbey: 8:02am On Apr 04, 2016
Another form of child abuse.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 8:03am On Apr 04, 2016
I even asked him he said the parents also monitor them. Besides they hardly spend money without the consent of the parents, they have been doing it so.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Winneygirl(f): 8:23am On Apr 04, 2016
For house chores? No.
But you could help them get small after schools jobs or jobs when they are on holiday where they can earn wages.

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by goodnews201668: 8:36am On Apr 04, 2016
bigabbey:
Another form of child abuse.

How do you mean?

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2016
Oh dear!

I am glad i am from another generation, there are many things happening now that I feel confused. embarassed sad

Being paid to keep the space you use clean? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by goodnews201668: 8:37am On Apr 04, 2016
I am totally against it, but on a more serious note.
What of paying allowances? Maybe I'll still prefer paying to get job done in the home.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 8:43am On Apr 04, 2016
edwife:
Oh dear!

I am glad i am from another generation, there are many things happening now that I feel confused. embarassed sad

Being paid to keep the space you use clean? undecided

Is it strange?
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 8:53am On Apr 04, 2016
ableguy:

Is it strange?

Very strange and opening doors to laziness.So what will be the motivation when they leave home? How will they cope staying with room mates or flat mates when they are adults?

The only time i was paid was when i was 15 years old. I worked in my mum's restaurant during the holidays and that has helped me a lot in life.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:01am On Apr 04, 2016
All this end time mother's giving end time training sef undecided

How can you pay YOUR CHILD MONEY for performing HIS RESPONSIBILITIES IN HIS HOUSE?like are you serious ? undecided

He eats in my house with the Money I EARNED,that same money puts food on the table and pays the bills and he thinks he doesn't have complementary RESPONSIBILITIES.life IS give and take.

I pay your school fees,feed you,cloth you give you emotional support and you think I should pay for YOU For performing your duties and expectations.smh undecided

The day YO don't have money to give let's see how clean the house will be

*in yandy's voice * this is ridiculous

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 9:10am On Apr 04, 2016
edwife:

Very strange and opening doors to laziness.So what will be the motivation when they leave home? How will they cope staying with room mates or flat mates when they are adults?

The only time i was paid was when i was 15 years old. I worked in my mum's restaurant during the holidays and that has helped me a lot in life.

I see it that way too, the mum is always traveling. She has spent most of her life in USA. Maybe that's where she got the idea.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 9:11am On Apr 04, 2016
nothing really... I've to admit, did that for a long time coz I read it on different parenting blog as a great way to encourage children to start doing chores from early stages of life. (Rewards)

I still did that to ingrain chore doing into them until they're 6, then changed its cause & we call it 'pocket money' (weekly) which every child is entitled to.

You have to do your chores Abeg. We all have a part to play in a family.

Edwife , looong time grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 9:12am On Apr 04, 2016
Sambarry,easy oh grin
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by lilmax(m): 9:13am On Apr 04, 2016
Smh vigorously

We are really in for it
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 9:13am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
All this end time mother's giving end time training sef undecided

How can you pay YOUR CHILD MONEY for performing HIS RESPONSIBILITIES IN HIS HOUSE?like are you serious ? undecided

He eats in my house with the Money I EARNED,that same money puts food on the table and pays the bills and he thinks he doesn't have complementary RESPONSIBILITIES.life IS give and take.

I pay your school fees,feed you,cloth you give you emotional support and you think I should pay for YOU For performing your duties and expectations.smh undecided

The day YO don't have money to give let's see how clean the house will be

*in yandy's voice * this is ridiculous

But she justifies her action, saying most parents give allowance but she rather pay for job done to motivate them.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 9:16am On Apr 04, 2016
ableguy:

I see it that way too, the mum is always traveling. She has spent most of her life in USA. Maybe that's where she got the idea.

So to be clear , were you rewarded for chores? Are you condemning your mom's parenting skill?

If you do, no do whahala

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 9:19am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:
nothing really... I've to admit, did that for a long time coz I read it on different parenting blog as a great way to encourage children to start doing chores from early stages of life. (Rewards)

I still did that to ingrain chore doing into them until they're 6, then changed its cause & we call it 'pocket money' (weekly) which every child is entitled to.

How about just telling them to do chores because it's a way of life? When you use something,you clean after yourself. smiley

Pocket money is different from getting paid to clean after yourself. Otherwise we should also pay them for doing homework, going to school and sleeping. gringrin

I am good, yeah you have been MIA lately.You good? smiley

3 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:21am On Apr 04, 2016
ableguy:

But she justifies her action, saying most parents give allowance but she rather pay for job done to motivate them.
the question you should ask yourself especially if you are in a zoo like country called Nigeria where nothing is predictable. Assuming mummy hasn't been paid salary for Lik 4 months.how does she pay her children? This kids are still young and impressionable.of course they'll be like mummy hasn't paid us for cleanning the house this week so I'm not going to wash the dishes,empty the thrash,clean the zinc,wash the bathrooms and toilet, tidy up the rooms.I'll just leave the home messed up.

You have already giving them entitlement mentality that why you read of a 30something grown a55 adult still living with his mummy and beating up the mother because the mother didn't prepare his food like we read on nl

This is where it starts from.kontinu spoiling them rotten.they will soon disgrace you

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:23am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

mayb when theyre all grown up and leave your house you will keep paying them for washing their clothes, cleaning their fridge,washing their car and arranging the cloths. Ogedenbaje lo elonpo

1 Like

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 9:27am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
the question you should ask yourself especially OF you are in a zoo like country called Nigeria where nothing is predictable. Assuming mummy hasn't been paid salary for Lik 4 months.how does she pay her children? This kids are still young and impressionable.of course they'll be like mummy hasn't paid us for cleansing the house this week so I'm not going to wash the dishes,empty the thrash,clean the zinc,wash the bathrooms and toilet, tidy up the rooms.I'll just leave the home messed up.

You have already giving them entitlement mentality that why you read of a 30something grown a55 adult still living with his mummy and beating up the mother because the mother didn't prepare his food like we read on nl

This is where it starts from.kontinu spoiling them rotten.they will soon disgrace you

You make me laugh, mum didn't raise us that way. In fact you dare not leave the house unkempt, she doesn't even need to remind us of what to do because if you fail to do so. Hmmmm u go hear nwiiiiii grin
SAMBARRY:
the question you should ask yourself especially OF you are in a zoo like country called Nigeria where nothing is predictable. Assuming mummy hasn't been paid salary for Lik 4 months.how does she pay her children? This kids are still young and impressionable.of course they'll be like mummy hasn't paid us for cleansing the house this week so I'm not going to wash the dishes,empty the thrash,clean the zinc,wash the bathrooms and toilet, tidy up the rooms.I'll just leave the home messed up.

You make me laugh, mum didn't raise us that way. In fact you dare not leave the house unkempt, she doesn't even need to remind us of what to do because if you fail to do so. Hmmmm u go hear nwiiiiii.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:30am On Apr 04, 2016
Take 5.This is the first time I'm seeing you being real.This your post isn't the usual fantasy island,castle in the air post.This is Nigeria and we're training kids on how to survive in a harsh Nigerian environment or anywhere at all where there's no daddy or mummy to pay them to do what they are supposed to do

You need to listen to lagbaja music titled "akebaje" that song adressed end time mothers
edwife:

How about just telling them to do chores because it's a way of life? When you use something,you clean after yourself. smiley

Pocket money is different from getting paid to clean after yourself. Otherwise we should also pay them for doing homework, going to school and sleeping. gringrin

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by ableguy(m): 9:30am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:

So to be clear , were you rewarded for chores? Are you condemning your mom's parenting skill?

If you do, no do whahala

My dear nobody paid us ooo, if care is not taken we will pay for doing our chores. grin
Ewuro4:

If you do, no do whahala

My dear nobody paid us ooo, if care is not taken we will pay for doing our chores.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 04, 2016
As kids, myself and my sisters WERE rewarded with treats for doing jobs round the house, especially for chores which were more meant for grown-ups. These rewards were sometimes candy or cookies, then as we got older, we were rewarded with real money.

Prior to this, we still performed our chores without fail, we were brought up to do so. Receiving token payments wasn't an incentive, it was preparing for financial responsibility.

My mom taught us at an early age how to save money, we kept a record of how much we'd earned, and our mom banked the money as we earned it. We were always able to ask for "drawings", and always knew how much we had at any given time. In our mid-teens, we had our own bank accounts, and knew the value of money, and how to handle it.

Myself and my wife have started the same practice with our eldest child.

It may NOT work for others, but it certainly worked for myself and my siblings. And it's working for our kids now.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:33am On Apr 04, 2016
ableguy:

You make me laugh, mum didn't raise us that way. In fact you dare not leave the house unkempt, she doesn't even need to remind us of what to do because if you fail to do so. Hmmmm u go hear nwiiiiii grin
You make me laugh, mum didn't raise us that way. In fact you dare not leave the house unkempt, she doesn't even need to remind us of what to do because if you fail to do so. Hmmmm u go hear nwiiiiii.
so why is the op now asking whether its ok to pay them for doing house chores.

No problem na.they should come and collect money from me for washing their pants or shaving their armpits.shiorrrr.oshiii nle pako
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by edwife(f): 9:36am On Apr 04, 2016
SAMBARRY:
Take 5.This is the first time I'm seeing you being real.This your post isn't the usual fantasy island,castle in the air post.This is Nigeria and we're training kids on how to survive in a harsh Nigerian environment or anywhere at all where there's no daddy or mummy to pay them to do what they are supposed to do

You need to listen to lagbaja music titled "akebaje" that song adressed end time mothers

You must be joking right? And you are real because? cheesy

I am very real darling and only post stuff I know or do not just under the influence or for validation. We are all different and have different upbringing.

Do me a favour, what do you define as being real or fantasy island? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:37am On Apr 04, 2016
Ewuro4:
Sambarry,easy oh grin
all this end time mother's dey vex me grin

I dey wait for wura make she grows fast con tell me mummy I can't wash the pots because you've not paid me grin

This is Nigeria o.I no dey for all this sme sme oyinbo style.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 9:43am On Apr 04, 2016
edwife:

Different strokes my dear smiley

As a renowned Helicopter parent(kids call me that undecided) , I did what I had to do at the time. (I used to find it intrusive, utterly offensive & annoying , when other parents tell you how to raise your kids right, especially when noone is perturbed) , I saw it as a phase which was fun IMO. Kids used their savings on vacations and all that.

But you're right in your submission though. They must understand the essence of responsibility. Really , who wants to raise a couch potato brat considering the present world where accountability supasses everything else?

I'm great sweetheart, hope all is good in your end? smiley
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by Ewuro4: 9:47am On Apr 04, 2016
ableguy:

My dear nobody paid us ooo, if care is not taken we will pay for doing our chores. grin

My dear nobody paid us ooo, if care is not taken we will pay for doing our chores.

Hehe grin grin my bad, I thought you were referring to your mom.
Re: Do You Support Parents Paying Their Children To Do House Chores? by SAMBARRY: 9:52am On Apr 04, 2016
edwife:

You must be joking right? And you are real because? cheesy

I am very real darling and only post stuff I know or do not just under the influence or for validation. We are all different and have different upbringing.

Do me a favour, what do you define as being real or fantasy island? smiley
remember that time there was a thread that had to do with a woman who left her tesident country to do owanmbe in Nigeria and then left her 10 and 13 year old kids. You were part of the people saying that child abuse.it's This it's that. You nor see were parents they leave Theo children for house with heaps OF clothes to wash and it must be spread on the wire before their arrival. Is that not building castle in the air by saying it's child abuse to leave children at home and go out as if it's not a common occurrence in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

He Walked Out On Me / House Clearance Sales.in Port Harcourt (OLX) / Appreciation Post.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.