Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,689 members, 7,918,172 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 01:39 AM

Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 (728 Views)

"Incredible Things Jonathan Did In Office" - Osinbajo / Jonathan Did Nothing For Igbos – Amaechi Explodes / Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by Tiskified(m): 6:35am On Apr 08, 2016
Onetime Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has said governors were the reason former President, Goodluck Jonathan could not save for the future.
Okonjo-Iweala in an interview with an International Magazine, Le Monde said “some economists are very concerned for Nigeria, which could greatly suffer from the fall in oil prices. Others say the contrary, that its economy is strong enough to turn the corner.

“Both are right. But one thing saddens me. When I was finance minister the first time, the volatility of oil prices, and therefore state resources, cost at least three points of growth in the country.
“We then established a stabilisation mechanism and opened an account for the oil surplus, which posted up to $22 billion. In 2008, when prices fell from 148 to $38 a barrel, no one had heard of Nigeria because the country was able to tap into this fund. And that, I am very proud [of].

“When I returned to the department in 2011, there remained only $4 billion on this account while the price of oil was very high! I tried again to put money aside. The president agreed, but the governors did not accept.

“I suffered a lot of attacks from them and now that the country would really need this account, these same people accuse me of not having saved. If Nigeria had been more careful, we would not be here today. It hurts me. We have the mechanism, we had the experience, but we were prevented to act.”

Source: DAILYPOST
http://dailypost.ng/2016/04/07/why-jonathan-did-not-save-okonjo-iweala/
Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by a2personal2013: 6:41am On Apr 08, 2016
Oya, where is Adams Oshomoile ? Over to you

1 Like

Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by MRSALT: 6:42am On Apr 08, 2016
Yes I think I remember when some journalists from Lagos were asking why we should save when we had many things that could be done with money. Tha Nation and Punch newspapers were saying that Okonjo Iweala was saving money in switz Bank when we could invest such money in Agriculture. Oshiomole also said something similar to that.
Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by lordcornel(m): 6:49am On Apr 08, 2016
You and the president agreed, the governors did not.. So you both did what?
I thought he was the president....
Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by Kayendy(m): 6:59am On Apr 08, 2016
Under jonathan., we had a president with sense but no will to act but now we have a president without sense but with a will act..
Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:11am On Apr 08, 2016
Sooner or later, we will know the full truth!!
Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by chernest2002: 8:21am On Apr 08, 2016
The earlier we tap some knowledge from ngozi the better for us, we can't have experts and give them bad name only to be struggling with this akawo finance minister .
Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by funlord(m): 8:28am On Apr 08, 2016

Supreme _stupidity made only in nigeria! Where a "president and a finance minister" go dey fear to act in the best interests of their country because of the dry raking and misguided interests of a bunch of "governors?"

Na wa oh!

1 Like

Re: Why Jonathan Did Not Save – Okonjo-iweala By Seun Opejobi On April 7, 2016 by hucienda: 8:36am On Apr 08, 2016
When this woman was insisting then on saving for the rainy day in a Sovereign Wealth Fund, the Amaechi, Adams et al gang were in total opposition.

Now the same Amaechi APC gang are asking why didn't save?

Do they think nigerians choose to have selective amnesia like the APC specializes in?

Same issue with the fuel subsidy. They were in opposition to it then. Look at the mess of a scarcity we're in. Now they're in support.

(1) (Reply)

Saraki’s Trial: Oyegun Has Vindicated Me – Timi frank / Ipads shooting movies In Sambisa forest with Boko Haram / My Bank Account Details Would Be Published Before I Leave Office - Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.