Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,795 members, 7,875,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 06:12 AM

Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration (21278 Views)

Reno Omokri's Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story Of The Jonathan Years Trends / No One Can Take Nigeria Back To The Jonathan Days After Buhari’s 8 Years- SGF / Avoid The Jonathan Error, Sanusi To Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by jkendy(m): 10:01pm On Apr 15, 2016
This woman is somewhere abroad enjoying fresh air of freedom and respect on her personality and some mofons are busy back here mentioning her prestigious name unnecessary.
Group of jobless e-rat!!

2 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by winterfell007(m): 10:04pm On Apr 15, 2016
i was beginning to wonder. people read with their brains upside down. lack of political will didn't mean Jonathan never wanted to implement it. she meant that the forces surrounding the opposition they faced from the government of the regions. The most important thing is that NOI proposed to restart the savings and presented the propasal to her boss, GEJ who agreed to begin the process. they were vehemently opposed by the Amaechi's governors forum who went as far as getting a court injunction to stop NOI from further depositing monies into an account that is not recognized by law.

Now the question i ask is do u expect a sitting president to defy court orders? If Jonathan had stubbornly went ahead to implement the order. does that speak well of president who expects every other Nigerian to be law abiding.?

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 15, 2016
Too late grin
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by nijanigga: 10:04pm On Apr 15, 2016
Nigeria is bleeped up , I have no hope for you all.some people looked up to this woman as a role model, heard what she just said and you think Nigeria has hope?

1 Like

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by nijanigga: 10:06pm On Apr 15, 2016
winterfell007:
i was beginning to wonder. people read with their brains upside down. lack of political will didn't mean Jonathan never wanted to implement it. she meant that the forces surrounding the opposition they faced from the government of the regions. The most important thing is that NOI proposed to restart the savings and presented the propasal to her boss, GEJ who agreed to begin the process. they were vehemently opposed by the Amaechi's governors forum who went as far as getting a court injunction to stop NOI from further depositing monies into an account that is not recognized by law.

Now the question i ask is do u expect a sitting president to defy court orders? If Jonathan had stubbornly went ahead to implement the order. does that speak well of president who expects every other Nigerian to be law abiding.?
buy yourself some sense.

5 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by winterfell007(m): 10:12pm On Apr 15, 2016
theshadyexpress:

she did not double speak,it was you that just heard what you wished to hear, Every sane mind know who is to blame for lack of savings and if you need a hint just check the zombie cabinet

my brother pls don't bother replying them. they are a lost course. i wonder, if Amaechi and his gang had trust issues Jonathan's regime in safeguarding the monies, why couldn't they have opted for seperate account to be operated by them? we all seem to blame NOI and GEJ no one seems to be blaming the ex governors for their stiff opposition towards that critical issues of national importance.
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by winterfell007(m): 10:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
nijanigga:

buy yourself some sense.

you need the sense far more than i need. nonsense
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by wirinet(m): 10:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
chukwudi44:

NOI and GEJ had the political will to save and actually communicated that to the governors who resisted and led by Amaechi and Fashola went to the supreme court to get an order compelling the FG to share the money.Anyone who still blames GEJ after these disclosures is demented.

I am sorry to say but you guys talk like illiterates, NOI had the political will to save but could not put political structures in place to ensure savings are guaranteed. So you expect NOI to just inform the governors that she wants to save their part of the revenue and she can now start deducting any amount she likes from the federation accounts and she can can spend the money unilaterally and inform the governors later if the ask questions.

If you say Jonathan had the political will to save, did the government attempt to change the laws to ensure savings? Did Jonathan proposed a system of savings acceptable to all stakeholders of the federation accounts? Did Jonathan send an amendment to the constitution to enshrine savings. Did Jonathan lobby the governors, the national assembly and his party on the need to save?

read this from Soludo;

I hereby challenge your attempt to blame others for not saving for the rainy day. It is not a virtue when you are quick to appropriate all the credit when things are going well, but shift the blame when they go wrong. You blame the state governors— who, according to you, have taken the Federal Government to the Supreme Court—not that a Supreme Court judgment forced your hands. For your information, the governors have never agreed to savings and always threatened court action even under Obasanjo. Why did we save under Obasanjo but not under Jonathan? Two keywords explain it: leadership and integrity. Governor Amaechi said the governors insisted on sharing the funds because they found out that you were illegally fiddling with the savings. So, as Nigerians still wonder, if billions of dollars are now ‘missing’ under your nose, why should governors trust you to keep their money? Do the states that have taken the federal government to the Supreme Court and refused to save also include the PDP governors—who are in the majority? If so, then it is fatal: even governors of your own party, PDP, do not trust you to keep their money! Furthermore, did the governors also stop the Federal Government from saving part of its share? If you ran a surplus budget at the Federal level, you would have had credibility to blame others or to say they did not listen to your advice. The key point is that since you were running huge deficits yourself, it was also in your own interest to share the ECA. You did not show leadership or credibility, full stop!

You see, madman iweala is just throwing excuses around for her incompetence.

10 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 15, 2016
R.etardness re-defined! Obj was in charge, ineffectual bufoon was'nt!

2 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by InvertedHammer: 10:21pm On Apr 15, 2016
/
Jonathan was a mistake. He was never ambitious nor prepared to become a President. Obasanjo looked for unassuming stooges after failing the 3rd Term bid and found the puppets in sickly Yar'Adua and shadowy Jonathan.

Just like a bad product marketted so well that it got good reviews,gullible Nigerians fell for the antics of paid PR firms who sold Jonathan as a breathe of fresh air. From Immigration scandal to Oduah and co. scandals, Jonathan remained aloof as every politician became a merchant of loot. Nemo dat quod non habet. People clamoured for leadership qualities that Jonathan did not possess. In comparing Jonathan's cluelessness to Buhari's aloofness, Nigerians tend to forget that bad leadership in any form will never lead to greatness. Jonathan was a mess. Buhari is not any better. What went wrong? Most people are not concerned with the answers to this puzzle. They still erroneously believe that it is about PDP or APC. In choosing between Jonathan and Buhari, Nigerians wanted to make a choice for the lesser of two evils. Glaring fact remains that they were both bad products.

A popular adages says, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". What will the person who coined the dictum think of Nigerians who have been fooled multiple times and continue to manifest willingness to be fooled more?
\

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by obailala(m): 10:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
masterblogger:
This is a counter thread. Here is the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/3048820/nigerias-problem-lack-save-under

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1133688053348124&id=204329982950607&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6273830349039039477%3Amf_story_key.-2233196737761881421&__tn__=%2As
A very very lame attempt at exonerating GEJ. Accusing APC governors of being responsible for GEJ being unable to save has to be the lamest attempt at exonerating GEJ and playing a blame game.

If as commander-in-chief, APC governors can tell or control GEJ to squander Nigeria's savings, the this speaks volumes of the unsuitability and incompetence of GEJ as a leader; this allegation even further indicts Jonathan.

Now to deflate this folly of an excuse, as at the time in question, there were far more (over 22) PDP governors and all governors manipulated GEJ and retrieved their states' share of the funds. How this automatically becomes 'APC' governors is mind boggling and plain stupidd.

Secondly, the reason why pressure was mounted on GEJ to release the money is because GEJ was illegally dipping his hands into the collective funds without informing the governors. So the governors simply lost confidence in GEJ for holding their money, hence they requested it be given to them.

Thirdly, the money in question was over $20billion. The national sharing formula gives about 52% of these funds to the FG. So if the states decided to pull off their 48%, can some of you desperate PDP smart-asses kindly explain to us if APC governors also used some form of juju to charm GEJ into squandering the over $10billion which was the FG's share?

Finally and in conclusion, NOI was spot on with her statement, it was in black and white, it was something we all knew and it doesnt take more than basic elementary education to discern this. When this same ECA pot was introduced under OBJ, the governors fought and fought OBJ and even took him to court for being a dictator. Similarly, the governors also fought and fought Yaradua and also took him to court to break the pot and share the money, but OBJ and Yaradua wouldnt budge because they had the political will to save and they understood what it meant to stand-your-ground as a leader in a chaotic country like Nigeria. GEJ eventually gets in and shares the money (only 48% gone) and he then proceeds to squander the remaining 52% on God knows what. And today, some desperate jobbers are trying to tell us it was APC governors who jazzed GEJ. Ekpas!
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by pheliciti: 10:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
theshadyexpress:

let me lecture you on how government works just incase youre ignorant

The FG's share of federal revenue has been provided for in the Appropriation act as a source of finance for the budget, the executive dare not use a dime of that money for another purpose other than what is stated in the appropriation act cos that in itself is an impeachable offence, the best bet was to source for savings from the ECA as it is monies yet to be shared and so hasn't made its way into the FG purse. does this mean the money will be spent by the FG without the consent of states by the fg? definitely no, what it means is that all excess monies will be saved in trust for all tiers of govt until such a time when there is a cash crunch and the monies will be shared with amongst all tiers with the already existing sharing formula

and if i may ask why didnt APC states also save their share too or were they not in govt during those times too?
stop been ignorant it wont make you appear wise
You really are ignorant! Its so shocking people would comment on issues of which they have no knowledge. Isn't it paradoxical that the more knowledge is available at you fingertips, the more ignorant people are- and they demonstrate that ignorance so shamelessly and arrogantly. Just a little research on your phone will teach you the link between revenue, appropriation and expenditure in govt.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by shamecurls(m): 10:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
NOI just cushioning the collateral damage she spewed about the GEJ administration which can never alter her fact that stated that "The GEJ administration lacked the will to save"

4 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by ElCapone(m): 10:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
theshadyexpress:

The question is what is buhari's economic policy cos the last time i checked even the femi adeshina does not have an answer to this
itz ur hero noi is talking abt, she told us they squanderd our money nd refusd to save and nw we are in desperate timez, so maybe if ur clueless hero had done some little saving then we wld have been in da shade during dis rainy season. Dont expect bubu to start plucking money from treez.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by Ibime(m): 10:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
theshadyexpress:

she did not double speak,it was you that just heard what you wished to hear, Every sane mind know who is to blame for lack of savings and if you need a hint just check the zombie cabinet

And you heard what you wanted to hear.

I was following developments in January 2010 when Jonathan used the ECA to bribe Governors to solidify his power base.

Once he opened the honey pot, the bears knew he was a weak President and held him to ransom over the ECA for the rest of his tenure.

It all started with a bribe.

Why didn't the Governors hold OBJ to ransom over the ECA.

A weak President ransomed the future of this country for his personal progress and una dey hear dey yarn opaks. No be today Governors dey disturb OBJ to share that account with them. Jonathan was the first to do it willingly.

If there was any will to save in that reprobate thief, why didn't he save the FG portion of the ECA?

The ECA should hold $180bln in savings today based on official NNPC stats.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by Churchillumoren: 10:40pm On Apr 15, 2016
aieromon:

Charles Soludo, February 2015

God bless d fellow who reproduced this from Soludo...same issues I raised today when some nearly butchered me..just hope citizens would always look beyond party and address issues irrespective of who is involved

2 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by agabaI23(m): 10:41pm On Apr 15, 2016
aieromon:

Charles Soludo, February 2015
So whatever Amaechi says is the truth?
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by ElCapone(m): 10:44pm On Apr 15, 2016
winterfell007:

my brother pls don't bother replying them. they are a lost course. i wonder, if Amaechi and his gang had trust issues Jonathan's regime in safeguarding the monies, why couldn't they have opted for seperate account to be operated by them? we all seem to blame NOI and GEJ no one seems to be blaming the ex governors for their stiff opposition towards that critical issues of national importance.
hahahahahaha so he left da fate of nigerianz in da handz of some governorz. And nw u expect us to blame da ex governorz, my question is who was da c in c as at den? So u mean as critical as da art of saving was, he cldnt make a stand bt had to leave da decision to some governorz, no wonder he is called da ineffectual babboon. He shld plz take responsibility since he was @ da helm of affairz and we dont want listen to lame excuses, just like bubu wld b made to take responsibility 4 his actionz and inactionz.
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by ElCapone(m): 10:47pm On Apr 15, 2016
wirinet:

I am sorry to say but you guys talk like illiterates, NOI had the political will to save but could not put political structures in place to ensure savings are guaranteed. So you expect NOI to just inform the governors that she wants to save their part of the revenue and she can now start deducting any amount she likes from the federation accounts and she can can spend the money unilaterally and inform the governors later if the ask questions.

If you say Jonathan had the political will to save, did the government attempt to change the laws to ensure savings? Did Jonathan proposed a system of savings acceptable to all stakeholders of the federation accounts? Did Jonathan send an amendment to the constitution to enshrine savings. Did Jonathan lobby the governors, the national assembly and his party on the need to save?

read this from Soludo;

You see, madman iweala is just throwing excuses around for her incompetence.
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by gretblue: 10:48pm On Apr 15, 2016
seunmsg:

You don't have to insult me before making your points. Keep the discussion civil and answer my question.

Under OBJ, who gave the needed political will to save when governors of that era also opposed saving vehemently?
He will never be ready to give a reasonable reply to your finding. Asap, stealing is not a corruption to them.Every penny and Kobo must be shared and looted.Even Abacha looted fund was re -looted under their hero.

1 Like

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by eyesofgod: 10:49pm On Apr 15, 2016
chukwudi44:

NOI and GEJ had the political will to save and actually communicated that to the governors who resisted and led by Amaechi and Fashola went to the supreme court to get an order compelling the FG to share the money.Anyone who still blames GEJ after these disclosures is demented.

An epistle from the demented Chokwudi44!

2 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by OBAGADAFFI: 10:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
winterfell007:

The issue is not defying courts order.

NOI clearly states that that they could save under OBJ, but the political will was not there under GEJ.

Questions are.

What happened to the FGN share of the ECA.
What happened to our foreign reserves under GEJ.

GEJ hard the opportunity to save, but he lacks the political will to do it.

5 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by Juanapeters21: 10:52pm On Apr 15, 2016
hmmm foul play who told you.....
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by Ayatullah(m): 10:56pm On Apr 15, 2016
I seriously believe madam Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is free because she is cooperating with PMB government and leaking some facts about the "Ineffectual Buffon" to PMB. That's what gave her a soft landing, and I believe OBJ is behind the deal.

Madam Ngozi, can go ahead and deny what she said so loud and clear that is her business, we already know the truth.

We even thank God the Buffon did not save, because the savings could have ended up in Sambo Dasuki's ATM Machine for distribution to PDP Big Rats.

3 Likes

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by omolola15(m): 10:57pm On Apr 15, 2016
jojomario:
@op, how much dem pay u?
. I beg sell this your space give me. E get wetin i wan put there.

I note that when I assumed office as Governor of CBN, the stock of foreign reserves was $10 billion. The average monthly oil price during my 60 months in office was $59, but foreign reserve reached the all-time peak of $62 billion (and despite paying $12 billion for external debt, and losing over $15 billion during the unprecedented global financial and economic crisis) I left behind $45 billion. Recall also that our exchange rate continuously appreciated during this period and was at N117 to the dollar before the global crisis and we deliberately allowed it to depreciate in order to preserve our reserves. My calculation is that if the economy was better managed, our foreign reserves should have been between $102 –$118 billion and exchange rate around N112 before the fall in oil prices. As of now, the reserves should be around $90 billion and exchange rate no higher than N125 per dollar.

Soludo Jan 26 2015.

How much jona leave for foreign reserve when he commot.
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by canalily(m): 10:58pm On Apr 15, 2016
But indicated himundecided
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by 18wheeler: 10:59pm On Apr 15, 2016
masterblogger:
Ye shall know the truth.

Please for those of you who always develop passion for calling GEJ names please kindly know that it was not easy for GEJ. GEJ was the only 'complete civilian' that ever ruled Nigeria, from a minority, even in his state he is also from a minority. He has more experience in governance than any president we ever had (having served in state and federal level for years). He gave Nigeria his very best. No fuel queue, prompt payment of salary, created lots of jobs from the federal universities, sure p, youwin, Gis, converted our COE to federal, light was not this skeptic, travelled less, freedom of speech, no political murder or arrest etc.

The man is angel.

Every leader has its lapses. Buhari though has good intention for Nigeria, he also has his own challenges. Let's support them
I liked your post for the last three sentences. And I like you for that.
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by masterblogger(m): 11:00pm On Apr 15, 2016
jojomario:
@op, how much dem pay u?
Meaning? If you don't have anything to say please just go to bed.
#ihatenoise
Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by masterblogger(m): 11:01pm On Apr 15, 2016
18wheeler:

I liked your post for the last three sentences. And I like you for that.

Thanks. You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Low Savings: Okonjo-iweala Did Not Indict The Jonathan Administration by baby124: 11:06pm On Apr 15, 2016
If no be GEJ wey lack the will to save. So who come lack am? We the ordinary Nigerians? Madam NOI has been itching to be released from the shackles of association with the past government. She typed without thinking properly of the implications. She typed the truth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Deletion Of Section 84(12): Malami Effects Judgement In Line With The Law / Aregbesola Inspects Ongoing Projects In Osun State / Ado Doguwa Pays Solidarity Visit On Tinubu In Abuja, Says He Remains In APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.