Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,849 members, 7,872,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:39 PM

Twitter Website Shut After Attack - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Twitter Website Shut After Attack (634 Views)

Internet To Be Shut Down Worldwide / Google To Shut Down Its Orkut Social Network Today / [How To]Backup And Download Data From Orkut Before Its Shut Down By Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Twitter Website Shut After Attack by PHP4(m): 4:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
Micro-blogging service Twitter was taken offline in what the company believes was a co-ordinated attack.

The popular site has been subject to a so-called denial-of-service attack, according to the firm's official blog.

Denial-of-service attacks take various forms but often involve a company's servers being flooded with data in an effort to disable them.

The outage began Thursday morning but the geographic scale of the attack is still not known.

"On this otherwise happy Thursday morning, Twitter is the target of a denial of service attack," said company co-founder Biz Stone on the company's blog.

"Attacks such as this are malicious efforts orchestrated to disrupt and make unavailable services such as online banks, credit card payment gateways, and in this case, Twitter for intended customers or users."

The service was restored shortly after the blog post, but the company's status page suggests that the site is "continuing to defend against and recover from this attack".

A ComScore study suggests the site had around 45 million users worldwide as of June 2009.

However, as many users interact with the service through mobile phones or third-party software, the actual number of users is likely to be higher.

Source: BBC Website
Re: Twitter Website Shut After Attack by Cactus(m): 3:03pm On Aug 07, 2009
I hate twitter

The same people on facebook, myspace and other social networking sites will be on twitter. When is it enough?

Hope by some weird thing happening it shuts down.
Re: Twitter Website Shut After Attack by yawatide(f): 4:27pm On Aug 07, 2009
LOL Cactus,

I have told everyone that unless you are someone worthy of being followed, it is the ultimate case of joblessness grin

Unless I have something to promote, business-wise, twitter no go ever smell me. I mean, I believe the most popular twitter is a dog or cat if I am not mistaken. That just about sums it up tongue

(1) (Reply)

What Should I Do With My Domain Name? / Settings Required / Website Review For Improvement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.