Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,128 members, 7,939,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 07:59 AM

Who Is Jesus Christ? - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is Jesus Christ? (11156 Views)

Is Jesus Really God? / Is Jesus Relevant In Our Day? / Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 13, 2009
@Abuzola,i told you his blind init?let him continue ranting as usual,man of grace
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by noetic2: 6:38pm On Sep 13, 2009
Abuzola:

You lied, it is you who will be in hell, why not read the next verse, verse 18 says those who believe will be saved and it is you (noetic) that will rest in it forever

those who believe would be saved from hell fire grin grin why did allah put them there in the first place? why did allah not just take them to paradise?
allah is a demonic fraud. . , .why put someone in hell to save them later

uplawal:

@Abuzola,i told you his blind init?let him continue ranting as usual,man of grace

have u ever made an intelligent contribution on this forum?
I understand that u love islam because of ur lover boy. . . . .time will tell. . . .when he starts marrying his other wives grin grin
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by dwonder(m): 1:04am On Sep 15, 2009
Was Jesus Also Called God?

Although Jesus never claimed to be God, as Jehovah’s appointed ruler he is identified in Isaiah’s prophecy by the terms “Mighty God” and “Prince of Peace.” Isaiah’s prophecy adds: “To the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end.” (Isaiah 9:6, 7) So, as the “Prince”—the son of the Great King, Jehovah—Jesus will serve as Ruler of the heavenly government of “God Almighty.”—Exodus 6:3.

Yet, a person may ask, ‘In what sense is Jesus a “Mighty God,” and didn’t the apostle John say that Jesus is himself God?’ In the King James version of the Bible, John 1:1 reads: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Some argue that this means that “the Word,” who was born on earth as the baby Jesus, is Almighty God himself. Is this true?

If this verse were interpreted to mean Jesus was himself God Almighty, it would contradict the preceding statement, “the Word was with God.” Someone who is “with” another person cannot be the same as that other person. Many Bible translations thus draw a distinction, making clear that the Word was not God Almighty. For example, a sampling of Bible translations say the following: “The Word was a God,” “a god was the Word,” and “the Word was divine.”

Bible verses that in the Greek language have a construction similar to that of John 1:1 use the expression “a god.” For example, when referring to Herod Agrippa I, the crowds shouted: ‘It is a god speaking.’ And when Paul survived a bite by a poisonous snake, the people said: “He is a god.” (Acts 12:22; 28:3-6) It is in harmony with both Greek grammar and Bible teaching to speak of the Word as, not God, but “a god.”—John 1:1.

Consider how John identified “the Word” in the first chapter of his Gospel. “The Word became flesh and resided among us,” he wrote, “and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs [not to God but] to an only-begotten son from a father.” So “the Word,” who became flesh, lived on the earth as the man Jesus and was seen by people. Therefore, he could not have been Almighty God, regarding whom John says: “No man has seen God at any time.”—John 1:14, 18.

‘Why, then,’ one may ask, ‘did Thomas exclaim when seeing the resurrected Jesus, “My Lord and my God!”?’ As already noted, Jesus is a god in the sense of being divine, but he is not the Father. Jesus had just told Mary Magdalene: “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.” Remember, too, why John wrote his Gospel. Three verses after the account about Thomas, John explained that he wrote so that people “may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God”—not that he is God.—John 20:17, 28, 31.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by dwonder(m): 1:07am On Sep 15, 2009
I and the Father Are One”

The churches often cite John 10:30 to try to support the Trinity, although no mention is made of any third person in that verse. There Jesus said: “I and the Father are one.” But did Jesus mean that he was God Almighty himself, just in a different form? No, that could not be since Jesus always said that he was God’s Son, inferior to Him and in subjection to Him. What, then, did Jesus mean at John 10:30?

Jesus meant that he was one in thought and purpose with his Father. This can be seen at John 17:21, 22, where Jesus prayed to God that his disciples “may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us . . . that they may be one just as we are one.” Was Jesus praying that all his disciples would become one person? No, he was praying that they would be in unity, of the same mind and purpose, just as Jesus and God were.

The same idea is expressed at 1 Corinthians 1:10, where Paul states that Christians ‘should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among them, but that they should be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.’ So when Jesus said that he and his Father were one, he did not mean that they were the same person, just as when he said that his disciples should become one he did not mean that they were the same person.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by dwonder(m): 1:11am On Sep 15, 2009
Not Equal to God

Another scripture the churches use is John 5:18. It says that the Jews wanted to kill Jesus because “he was also calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God.” Who was saying that Jesus was making himself equal to God? Not Jesus. He clears this up in the very next verse (19) by stating: “The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing.” So Jesus did not claim that he was almighty God or equal to Him. He was showing the Jews that they were mistaken, that he was not God, but that he was the Son of God, and as God’s spokesman, he could not act on his own initiative. Can we imagine the almighty God of the universe saying that he could do nothing of his own initiative? So the Jews made a charge, and Jesus refuted it.

Thus, from the testimony of God in his own inspired Word, from the testimony of Jesus, and from the testimony of the disciples of Jesus, the overwhelming evidence clearly shows that almighty God and Jesus Christ are two separate personalities, Father and Son. That evidence also clearly shows that the holy spirit is not the third person of any Trinity but God’s active force. It is futile to take scriptures out of context or to try twisting them to support the Trinity. Any such scriptures must be harmonized with the rest of the Bible’s clear testimony.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 1:12am On Sep 15, 2009
dwonder you are flatly wrong . . . each time Christ refered to Himself as the "Son of God" we take it to literarily mean a "son" or one lower than the father . . . but the jews of those days UNDERSTOOD it to mean EQUAL with God . . . read here -

John 5:17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 1:14am On Sep 15, 2009
dwonder:

Not Equal to God

Another scripture the churches use is John 5:18. It says that the Jews wanted to kill Jesus because “he was also calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God.” Who was saying that Jesus was making himself equal to God? Not Jesus. He clears this up in the very next verse (19) by stating: “The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing.” So Jesus did not claim that he was almighty God or equal to Him. He was showing the Jews that they were mistaken, that he was not God, but that he was the Son of God, and as God’s spokesman, he could not act on his own initiative. Can we imagine the almighty God of the universe saying that he could do nothing of his own initiative? So the Jews made a charge, and Jesus refuted it.

Thus, from the testimony of God in his own inspired Word, from the testimony of Jesus, and from the testimony of the disciples of Jesus, the overwhelming evidence clearly shows that almighty God and Jesus Christ are two separate personalities, Father and Son. That evidence also clearly shows that the holy spirit is not the third person of any Trinity but God’s active force. It is futile to take scriptures out of context or to try twisting them to support the Trinity. Any such scriptures must be harmonized with the rest of the Bible’s clear testimony.

that is flatly a lie . . . the jews sought to kill Jesus for making Himself equal with God, if truly Christ had "cleared this up" in verse 19:

1. Why did the jews still persist in wanting to kill Him?

2. We dont see anywhere that the jews agreed that this had been explained to them.

Why did Christ tell Phillip that if he had seen Him he had seen the Father? Was the Father also on earth at the same time?
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 5:04am On Sep 15, 2009
@dwind, thanks for that brillian post.

@Noetic- there is a hadith explains that verse better, it is going to be above hell, God will save the muslim to crosss it and make unbelievers fall in it and reside there forever, i keep showing the hadith and you turn a blind eye everyday. Nawa 4u o
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by kolaxy(m): 5:28am On Sep 15, 2009
@dwonder,

Thanx 4 that question you asked about the 'word' been with God.I believed you understand what 'word' means. Now,my question is this:
Is/are the word(s) that comes out of your mouth part of who you are or not?

If you can honestly answer the question, then you are of the light and not of darkness.Take care wink
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by dadde(m): 10:40am On Sep 15, 2009
The simple reason y all the slaves of allah will not accept the deity of jesus is that,mo has not wired them to think 4 themselves.mo only thought them violence and sex. All muslims are wired to stand against whatever christ is.

the words of the cross is foolishnes to those that are perishing.

@OP,for u to realy understand who christ realy is, u ve to jettisn all ur original believes, b objective and spiritual. May be u may find answers to pacify your soul.
Remain blessd.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 11:17am On Sep 15, 2009
Jesus never claim to be God, the bible testify to it, John 5:30 jesus said 'i can do nothing on my authority'. So stop deceiving urself
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 12:56am On Sep 16, 2009
noetic2:

those who believe would be saved from hell fire grin grin why did allah put them there in the first place? why did allah not just take them to paradise?
allah is a demonic fraud. . , .why put someone in hell to save them later

have u ever made an intelligent contribution on this forum?
I understand that u love islam because of your lover boy. . . . .time will tell. . . .when he starts marrying his other wives grin grin

Mumu, see who is talking,search ur self av u ever made any intelligent post on the forum as well,all ur post has been rubbish from beginning to end,full of insults and never made sense to anybody probably cos youre still in darkness,maybe when you accept ISLAM it would make sense,and to tell you again UPLAWAL will never revert to ISLAM cos of a guy even if she loves 200%,so i see no reason why that should be your stress,and mind you, me dating a muslim guy has been a wonderful experience,cos they are fit in everything from head to toe,they dnt just behave anyhow like cross worshippers(pretenders)
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by noetic2: 2:37am On Sep 16, 2009
uplawal:

Mumu, see who is talking,search your self av u ever made any intelligent post on the forum as well,all your post has been rubbish from beginning to end,full of insults and never made sense to anybody probably [b]cos youre still in darkness,maybe when you accept ISLAM [/b]it would make sense,and to tell you again UPLAWAL will never revert to ISLAM cos of a guy even if she loves 200%,so i see no reason why that should be your stress,and mind you, me dating a muslim guy has been a wonderful experience,cos they are fit in everything from head to toe,they dnt just behave anyhow like cross worshippers(pretenders)

1. what are the benefits of joining islam? what do I get form allah?

2. I am sure your relationship with that slave of allah is a wonderful one. ,  . . .may it continue to be wonderful when 3 more women come into the picture with several temporary marriages. grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 4:48am On Sep 16, 2009
The benefit is numerous, from how the sperm form to how to bury the dead to Resurrection day, all is in the Quran, we are guided from A to Z and our reward is paradise unlike christianity where common going to church does not exist in the bible talk of being obligatory, fasting is not ordained by God to christian, the funny part is even christmas and christianity is an innovation by constantine and up till today it is absent in the Bible. Haleluyah ! Lmao
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 16, 2009
Abuzola:

The benefit is numerous, from how the sperm form to how to bury the dead to Resurrection day, all is in the Quran, we are guided from A to Z and our reward is paradise unlike christianity where common going to church does not exist in the bible talk of being obligatory, fasting is not ordained by God to christian, the funny part is even christmas and christianity is an innovation by constantine and up till today it is absent in the Bible. Haleluyah ! Lmao

Christ's alleged coming IS NOT THERE.

Ishmael recieving the "covenant" from Abraham IS NOT THERE

Ishmael being the one sacrificed by Abraham IS NOT THERE . . .

What are the "all" that is in the quran?
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2009
@david, i will show you what you thought is absent in the Quran, but on one condition- if i quote them in the Quran you will accept yourself and your pastor as slowpoke the same way you acknowledged being a fool when i quoted the verse stating jesus prayed solat
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 16, 2009
Abuzola:

@david, i will show you what you thought is absent in the Quran, but on one condition- if i quote them in the Quran you will accept yourself and your pastor as slowpoke the same way you acknowledged being a fool when i quoted the verse stating jesus prayed solat

Pls go ahead . . . and pls be reminded that YOU DID NOT QUOTE ANY VERSE showing Christ prayed Solat. All over the bible we have accounts of jews "falling down and worshiping" Jehovah . . . nothing to do with solat.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Henrygirl(f): 9:39pm On Sep 16, 2009
Concerning the question of the triune God, Genesis Chapter 1 verse 26 reveals that it was more than one involved within the Godhead. The words "Let Us make man in Our own image and likeness, " The question to whom does "Us" and "Our" refer? I believe these refer to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Notice it didn't say "I" or "My".
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 11:06pm On Sep 16, 2009
David you are not frank, when you are ready i will answer ur question, do you accept the condition ? Am even somnolented
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 16, 2009
Abuzola:

David you are not frank, when you are ready i will answer your question, do you accept the condition ? Am even somnolented

Stop trying to dodge, i 150% accepted your condition. Now hurry up!
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 11:14pm On Sep 16, 2009
Wallayi am feeling sleepy and already on my bed lets meet tomorrow
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 16, 2009
Abuzola:

Wallayi am feeling sleepy and already on my bed lets meet tomorrow

huh? grin Now you're feeling sleepy? You son of satan you better bring out that quote now or forever remain silent.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 5:10am On Sep 17, 2009
Am now awake, what is ur question, i have to humiliate your pastor
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by dwonder(m): 10:17am On Sep 17, 2009
WHEN the apostle Paul healed a lame man in Lystra, the people shouted: “The gods have become like humans and have come down to us!” Paul they called Hermes, and his companion Barnabas, Zeus. (Acts 14:8-14) In Ephesus the silversmith Demetrius warned that if Paul was allowed to continue to preach, ‘the temple of the great goddess Artemis would be esteemed as nothing.’—Acts 19:24-28.

People in the first century—like many today—worshiped “those who are called ‘gods,’ whether in heaven or on earth.” Paul, in fact, said: “There are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords’.” However, he also explained: “There is actually to us one God the Father,” and “there is one Lord, Jesus Christ.”—1 Corinthians 8:5, 6.

Note the AND that scripture did not say there is one God the father , Jesus.

Although Jesus never claimed to be God, as Jehovah’s appointed ruler he is identified in[b] Isaiah’s prophecy by the terms “Mighty God” and “Prince of Peace.” [/b]Isaiah’s prophecy adds: “To the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end.” (Isaiah 9:6, 7) So, as the “Prince”—the son of the Great King, Jehovah—Jesus will serve as Ruler of the heavenly government of “God Almighty.”—Exodus 6:3.

Yet, a person may ask, ‘In what sense is Jesus a “Mighty God,” and didn’t the apostle John say that Jesus is himself God?’ In the King James version of the Bible, John 1:1 reads: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Some argue that this means that “the Word,” who was born on earth as the baby Jesus, is Almighty God himself. Is this true?

If this verse were interpreted to mean[b] Jesus was himself God Almighty, it would contradict the preceding statement, “the Word was with God.” Someone who is “with” another person cannot be the same as that other person. [/b]Many Bible translations thus draw a distinction, making clear that the Word was not God Almighty. For example, a sampling of Bible translations say the following: “The Word was a God,” “a god was the Word,” and “the Word was divine.”

Bible verses that in the Greek language have a construction similar to that of John 1:1 use the expression “a god.” For example, when referring to Herod Agrippa I, the crowds shouted: ‘It is a god speaking.’ And when Paul survived a bite by a poisonous snake, the people said: “He is a god.” (Acts 12:22; 28:3-6) It is in harmony with both Greek grammar and Bible teaching to speak of the Word as, not God, but “a god.”—John 1:1.

Consider how John identified “the Word” in the first chapter of his Gospel. “The Word became flesh and resided among us,” he wrote, “and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs [not to God but] to an only-begotten son from a father.” So “the Word,” who became flesh, lived on the earth as the man Jesus and was seen by people. Therefore, he could not have been Almighty God, regarding whom John says: “No man has seen God at any time.”—John 1:14, 18.

‘Why, then,’ one may ask, ‘did Thomas exclaim when seeing the resurrected Jesus, “My Lord and my God!”?’ As already noted, Jesus is a god in the sense of being divine, but he is not the Father. Jesus had just told Mary Magdalene: “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God. Remember, too, why John wrote his Gospel. Three verses after the account about Thomas, John explained that he wrote so that people “may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God”—not that he is God.—John 20:17, 28, 31.

When Peter carried the good news about Jesus to Cornelius, there was a further opportunity to reveal the Trinity doctrine. What happened? Peter explained that Jesus is “Lord of all.” But he went on to explain that this lordship came from a higher source. Jesus was “the One decreed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.” After Jesus’ resurrection, his Father “granted him [gave him permission] to become manifest” to his followers. And the holy spirit? It does appear in this conversation but not as the third person of a Trinity. Rather, “God anointed [Jesus] with holy spirit and power.” Thus, the holy spirit, far from being a person, is shown to be something impersonal, like the “power” also mentioned in that verse. (Acts 10:36, 38, 40, 42) Check the Bible carefully, and you will find further evidence that the holy spirit is not a personality but an active force that can fill people, impel them, cause them to be aglow, and be poured out upon them.

Finally, the apostle Paul had a fine opportunity to explain the Trinity—if it had been true doctrine—when he was preaching to the Athenians. In his talk, he referred to their altar “To an Unknown God” and said: “What you are unknowingly giving godly devotion to, this I am publishing to you.” Did he publish a Trinity? No. He described the “God that made the world and all the things in it, being, as this One is, Lord of heaven and earth.” But what of Jesus? “[God] has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed.” (Acts 17:23, 24, 31) No hint of a Trinity there!

In fact, Paul explained something about God’s purposes that makes it impossible that Jesus and his Father are equal parts of a Trinity. He wrote: “God ‘subjected all things under his [Jesus’] feet.’ But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him. But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.” (1 Corinthians 15:27, 28) Thus, God will still be over all, including Jesus.

@Davidlan
Have you not heard people say boy is his is father! That doesn't mean the  boy is both son and father but that the son has same qualities and features like the father. e.g Adenuga's son Paddy Adenuga can boastfully tell you that when you have seen him you have seen his father. Is it the same as saying that Paddy Adenuga is the father.

I'm writing this for those who want to examine the concept of trinity with an open mind with the believe that it can be flawed and not for those who will not change there stance even if Jesus comes from Heaven to proof that he takes orders from his father which definitely does not make he lower that he should be.

Peace
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 17, 2009
Abuzola:

Am now awake, what is your question, i have to humiliate your pastor

What absolute nonsense. grin

You said this:

Abuzola:

In response to this:

davidylan:

Christ's alleged coming IS NOT THERE.

Ishmael recieving the "covenant" from Abraham IS NOT THERE

Ishmael being the one sacrificed by Abraham IS NOT THERE . . .

What are the "all" that is in the quran?

What are you waiting for Abuzola? grin
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 12:32am On Sep 18, 2009
About the coming of jesus:- Quran 43:61 'and jesus son of mary shall be a known sign for the coming hour (i.e day of judgement). Therefore have no doubt concerning it'

'verily, we have sent the revealation to you (O muhammad), as We sent the revealation to noah and the prophets after him. We also sent the revealation to Abraham, 'ishmael', issac, jacob ,,,' Quran 4:163.

Lets see was it isaac or ishmael that wanted to be sacrifice.

Quran 37:100-102 'My Lord ! Grant me offspring from the righteous' so We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing son (Ishmael, being the first born, and when he was old enough to walk with him, he said 'o my son ! I have seen in a dream that i am slaughtering you, so what do you think ? He said 'o my father ! Do that which you are commanded, inshallah you shall find me of the patient'

down to verse 112 God bless Abraham with isaac for carrying out his command, verse 112 says 'AND WE GAVE HIM THE GLAD TIDING OF ISAAC, A PROPHET FROM THE RIGHTEOUS'
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 12:39am On Sep 18, 2009
Abuzola:

About the coming of jesus:- Quran 43:61 'and jesus son of mary shall be a known sign for the coming hour (i.e day of judgement). Therefore have no doubt concerning it'

That is a LIE because that phrase was not a part of the original words of Mohammad, they were added by deceitful men like you struggling to force biblical prophecies into islam . . . read Pickthall's version . . .

And lo! verily there is knowledge of the Hour. So doubt ye not concerning it, but follow me. This is the right path.

How does this compare with the one you have above?

Abuzola:

'verily, we have sent the revealation to you (O muhammad), as We sent the revealation to noah and the prophets after him. We also sent the revealation to Abraham, 'ishmael', issac, jacob ,,,' Quran 4:163.

The jews do not recognise this sender.

Abuzola:

Lets see was it isaac or ishmael that wanted to be sacrifice.

Quran 37:100-102 'My Lord ! Grant me offspring from the righteous' so We gave him the glad tidings of a forbearing son (Ishmael, being the first born, and when he was old enough to walk with him, he said 'o my son ! I have seen in a dream that i am slaughtering you, so what do you think ? He said 'o my father ! Do that which you are commanded, inshallah you shall find me of the patient'

down to verse 112 God bless Abraham with isaac for carrying out his command, verse 112 says 'AND WE GAVE HIM THE GLAD TIDING OF ISAAC, A PROPHET FROM THE RIGHTEOUS'

This is frankly disingenuous lying even for a muslim.

Quran 37:100 DID NOT MAKE MENTION OF WHICH SON WAS SACRIFICED . . . look at the way the writer has phrased that verse to read what was not there . . . the original verse didnt mention a name but the translator has added "ishmael being the first born" himself to burnish this islamic lie.

Note how odd this makes verse 112, if indeed it was Abraham AND ISHMAEL who carried out allah's alleged command, why did God bless Abraham AND ISAAC? Where was the blessing for Ishmael?
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 12:54am On Sep 18, 2009
@david, there is hadith by ibn Abbas that explain that verse as a proof that jesus is coming back, you are free to reject or deny my answer and that can't make you to fool others, you can only fool yourself. Mind you your denial doesn't stop you and ur pastor from being slowpoke
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by DeepSight(m): 5:16pm On Sep 19, 2009
Dwonder, you make absolute sense, and i know your words to be true, but i fear the Christian (Dogma) Soldiers Noetic and Davidylan are lost beyond grasp: They may not even be aware that the Trinity doctrine was only inculcated at the Council of Nicea, an event the then Pope refused to attend because he disagreed with the dogma being introduced.

They will doubtless also deny that there have been corruptions within biblical text in this regard.

I was initially very impressed that they could defend their positions, but i have since become disillusioned, looks like they might be just another pair of fanatics unwilling to be rational: just the same thing they accuse the muslims of!

Sorry, guys, didn't mean to hurt, just being frank with you.
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by Abuzola(m): 6:43pm On Sep 19, 2009
Lol i dey feel you man
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:00pm On Sep 19, 2009
@dwonder,

Click on this weblink and discover the answers to all your objections and misconceptions that you have made and you will come to the conclusion that Jesus is God http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8449/jwsrefut.html
Re: Who Is Jesus Christ? by noetic2: 10:42pm On Sep 19, 2009
dwonder:

WHEN the apostle Paul healed a lame man in Lystra, the people shouted: “The gods have become like humans and have come down to us!” Paul they called Hermes, and his companion Barnabas, Zeus. (Acts 14:8-14) In Ephesus the silversmith Demetrius warned that if Paul was allowed to continue to preach, ‘the temple of the great goddess Artemis would be esteemed as nothing.’—Acts 19:24-28.

People in the first century—like many today—worshiped “those who are called ‘gods,’ whether in heaven or on earth.” Paul, in fact, said: “There are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords’.” However, he also explained: “There is actually to us one God the Father,” and “there is one Lord, Jesus Christ.”—1 Corinthians 8:5, 6.

Note the AND that scripture did not say there is one God the father , Jesus.

Although Jesus never claimed to be God, as Jehovah’s appointed ruler he is identified in[b] Isaiah’s prophecy by the terms “Mighty God” and “Prince of Peace.” [/b]Isaiah’s prophecy adds: “To the abundance of the princely rule and to peace there will be no end.” (Isaiah 9:6, 7) So, as the “Prince”—the son of the Great King, Jehovah—Jesus will serve as Ruler of the heavenly government of “God Almighty.”—Exodus 6:3.

If this verse were interpreted to mean[b] Jesus was himself God Almighty, it would contradict the preceding statement, “the Word was with God.” Someone who is “with” another person cannot be the same as that other person. [/b]Many Bible translations thus draw a distinction, making clear that the Word was not God Almighty. For example, a sampling of Bible translations say the following: “The Word was a God,” “a god was the Word,” and “the Word was divine.”

Bible verses that in the Greek language have a construction similar to that of John 1:1 use the expression “a god.” For example, when referring to Herod Agrippa I, the crowds shouted: ‘It is a god speaking.’ And when Paul survived a bite by a poisonous snake, the people said: “He is a god.” (Acts 12:22; 28:3-6) It is in harmony with both Greek grammar and Bible teaching to speak of the Word as, not God, but “a god.”—John 1:1.

‘Why, then,’ one may ask, ‘did Thomas exclaim when seeing the resurrected Jesus, “My Lord and my God!”?’ As already noted, Jesus is a god in the sense of being divine, but he is not the Father. Jesus had just told Mary Magdalene: “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God. Remember, too, why John wrote his Gospel. Three verses after the account about Thomas, John explained that he wrote so that people “may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God”—not that he is God.—John 20:17, 28, 31.

When Peter carried the good news about Jesus to Cornelius, there was a further opportunity to reveal the Trinity doctrine. What happened? Peter explained that Jesus is “Lord of all.” But he went on to explain that this lordship came from a higher source. Jesus was “the One decreed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.” After Jesus’ resurrection, his Father “granted him [gave him permission] to become manifest” to his followers. And the holy spirit? It does appear in this conversation but not as the third person of a Trinity. Rather, “God anointed [Jesus] with holy spirit and power.” Thus, the holy spirit, far from being a person, is shown to be something impersonal, like the “power” also mentioned in that verse. (Acts 10:36, 38, 40, 42) Check the Bible carefully, and you will find further evidence that the holy spirit is not a personality but an active force that can fill people, impel them, cause them to be aglow, and be poured out upon them.

Finally, the apostle Paul had a fine opportunity to explain the Trinity—if it had been true doctrine—when he was preaching to the Athenians. In his talk, he referred to their altar “To an Unknown God” and said: “What you are unknowingly giving godly devotion to, this I am publishing to you.” Did he publish a Trinity? No. He described the “God that made the world and all the things in it, being, as this One is, Lord of heaven and earth.” But what of Jesus? “[God] has set a day in which he purposes to judge the inhabited earth in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed.” (Acts 17:23, 24, 31) No hint of a Trinity there!

In fact, Paul explained something about God’s purposes that makes it impossible that Jesus and his Father are equal parts of a Trinity. He wrote: “God ‘subjected all things under his [Jesus’] feet.’ But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him. But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.” (1 Corinthians 15:27, 28) Thus, God will still be over all, including Jesus.

@Davidlan
Have you not heard people say boy is his is father! That doesn't mean the  boy is both son and father but that the son has same qualities and features like the father. e.g Adenuga's son Paddy Adenuga can boastfully tell you that when you have seen him you have seen his father. Is it the same as saying that Paddy Adenuga is the father.

I'm writing this for those who want to examine the concept of trinity with an open mind with the believe that it can be flawed and not for those who will not change there stance even if Jesus comes from Heaven to proof that he takes orders from his father which definitely does not make he lower that he should be.

Peace

you discarded the verses that state that Jesus is God. . .and picked others to arrive arrive at ur preconceived notion.
No. . .ur analysis was NOT rich neither was it inspiring.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13)

Did You Know Japan Bans Islam And ALL Muslims? / Fear Not, Your Saviour Is Here!! - Joseph Prince / Shocking Messages To Pastors From Those Who Saw Heaven/hell And Came Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.