Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,932 members, 7,946,037 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 11:36 AM

What Is This World Turning Into? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is This World Turning Into? (1342 Views)

Can U Imagine What This World Is Turning Into? / Don't Know What My Life Is Turning Into! / Is Life Real, Or Just A Dream? What If This World Is Just An Illusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is This World Turning Into? by feelgood(m): 6:08pm On Nov 20, 2006
WHAT IS THIS WORLD TURNING INTO?

The story is told of a wealthy businessman who was riding in his limousine when he saw two men eating grass by the roadside. He immediately ordered his driver to stop and he got out to enquire.

“Why are you eating grass?” he asked one of the men. “We don’t have money for food,” replied the poor fellow. “Oh! Come along with me then”. “But, Sir, I have a wife and two children.” “Bring them along. No problems”

As soon as the other man noticed that his fellow countryman was to be favoured, he quickly asked. “How about me, Sir? Can I also come with you?” “Oh, Sure!” “But I have a wife and three children” answered the second man. “Ah, Bring them along too” replied the wealthy businessman.

The two families went into the limousine and once underway, one of the poor fellows thankfully said, “Sir, you are very kind. Thank you for taking all of us with you. May God bless you, Sir….” The wealthy businessman then replied, “My pleasure, the grass at my backyard is about four feet tall. So, you’ll have enough to eat.”

Hmm! A joke? No! This is exactly what our world has become. Many wealthy people really find it difficult to truly assist the poor. Whenever they manage to do so, it is always with a view to keeping the poor in perpetual poverty and slavery. Little wonder the gap between the rich and the poor keeps widening. May God deliver us from poverty and grant us true riches in Christ Jesus. Amen!

Have a blessed week.
Re: What Is This World Turning Into? by Damsal(f): 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2006
I find it quite wrong that you should jump into the conclusion that rich people should be the ones to shoulder poor people, i think it's quite an an amount of pressure for you to place on them. Just as i find it wrong for someone to say that richer countries (eg. America) should be the ones to help poorer continents, these big countries are in the position to and can assist them but it is not their duty to assume such a position.

By the way how many poor people have you helped today.
Re: What Is This World Turning Into? by Drusilla(f): 11:02pm On Nov 21, 2006
Damsel,

Obviously your not an American.

Americans naturally feel they have a duty to poorer people and countries.

Didn't you see when President Bush promised 15 million in aid to the tsunami victims and Americans went off about his stinginess and he quickly changed that to 350 million and more now I believe. We actually had helicopters and food in quicker to the Tsunami victims than the victims in our own country during Katrina.

I always wonder why people want to be the spokesperson championing the richest and most powerful government in the world. To protect the richest and most powerful from having to help with it's cash and support -- the poorest.

America has a duty and she recognizes it. At least the people do. GW had to be rebuked.
Re: What Is This World Turning Into? by Damsal(f): 10:28pm On Nov 23, 2006
Drusilla
if Americans believe that that is their duty then i'm absolutely fine by that, i personally feel it's also my duty as an African. I just don't believe a person should point it out to another as to being their duty unless they wish so. eg. Nigerians shouting at Americans and telling them it's their duty to provided for them. If they don't wish to do so you can't inpose it on them, if they have a guilty conscience that alone should do it.

and i am not being a spokes person i just don't believe you can inpose a duty on a person. I can't induce someone to give me money, as it would not come from the depth of their heart.
Re: What Is This World Turning Into? by feelgood(m): 8:14am On Nov 24, 2006
Dear Damsal, you apparently didn't get the import of the story.
1. The poor people did not ask the rich man for help. He offered and they were grateful for the same.
2.There was no imposition on the rich to help and that was not implied in the story
3. Rather than truly help, he wanted to use them to achieve a selfish purpose. He should have let them be.

And that's the problem all over. The poor you will always have in the world. Extending a helping hand to them
to alleviate thier poverty when it is in your power to do so is not only a gracious and rewarding act, but indirectly
the helper is assured of his peace.

We are not all equally endowed with various gifts and graces in life and using the same to complement and assist
one another is a good thing.

But then how many poor people have I helped today? I'll disappoint you by not answering the same. However, I come
from a culture where sharing with the less privileged is taken for granted - and while I recognise that modernity encourages
individualism/hero worship, I choose to hold on to the faith and practice of my fathers in this particular aspect and really
encourage my children to imbibe the same. Additionally, whatever I have (wisdom, knowledge, comfort, family, friends,etc), I
have received from the God of all goodness and I feel it a priviledge to share the same with others - more especially as I
do not consider myself better than these 'poor' folks.

Anyway, I remain grateful for your post. Still shows it's different strokes for different folks - just in case I was beginning to forget.

Be cool

(1) (Reply)

On Conversion To A Religion (christianity Or I-slam) / First Fruit, First Fraud!! / Attention Winners Chapel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.