Stats: 3,168,817 members, 7,872,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:56 PM

3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested (5441 Views)

More Ex-bank Chiefs Will Be Jailed – Sanusi / Sacked Bank Chiefs Arraigned / Fraud: 22 Bank Chiefs Indicted -sacked 5 Mds Under Surveillance -may Be Arrested (2) (3) (4)

Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by hollandis(f): 7:57am On Aug 19, 2009
aquita:

In as much as I don`t like joining issues with people. I think the likes of hollandis should shut up if they don`t have any positive thing to say. angry
I reiterate,arguing over the internet is as useful as talking to a fenced post.GEDDIT?  
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 19, 2009
hollandis:

Are you sure your sanity is intact?what has GO or COME got to do with this?Has she committed any crime?.Nigeria is a failing state,no thanks to the FG,INEC,ASUU,LEGISLATORS,JUDICIARY and your likes.

You should be more concerned with your own sanity instead of questioning mine.

I was only guessing why brien would trust such a person if not for the fact that most nigerians tend to worship whoever says he/she is a born again or has a good relationship with pastors (not that its a bad idea to have such relationship). But all of a sudden, you jumped in to question my sanity.

She hasn't committed any crime after lending out people's money to their friends and associate?
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by bizbone(f): 8:09am On Aug 19, 2009
nigeria with their series .
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by PAPAMODE(m): 8:26am On Aug 19, 2009
hollandis:

Are you sure your sanity is intact?what has GO or COME got to do with this?Has she committed any crime?.Nigeria is a failing state,no thanks to the FG,INEC,ASUU,LEGISLATORS,JUDICIARY and your likes.
The funny thing I see is when people with little idea of how institutions work make loud comments. If she has not committed a crime why the sudden move to travel.? The normal response will be to wait a while and try to clear your name before jetting out. Truely this may not have much to do with her relationship with Daddy GO but she has a certain standing as one of the most religious bank MDs which places more trust in her than maybe a dazzler or around the town man like Tony Elumelu of UBA.

The crime the MDs committed is mismanagement of resources while painting a rosy picture of good health. Visit the link http://cenbank.org/Out/publications/pressRelease/GOV/2009/ADVERTORIAL2.pdf . which has a summary of the highest debtors to the five banks and you will see a list of who's who in Naija, including our "richest man in Naija". You forget that the MDs are fiddling with shareholders funds and public trust in the financial climate. Would you like us to return to the days of keeping cash underneath our beds or using GMG to move cash from Aba to Lagos when it can be done electronically?

If those guys did not or could not repay their loans, there are documented legal ways to retrieve your funds, did they practise them? Did Access bank not sue AP to cut and did they not get their funds back? If these bigz boys/girlz refuse to pay how would the banks be able to lend funds to others? Yet we complain of the inability of the common man to get loans but how would they when they richest man's company owes over NGN 8 billion to a single bank? the collective debts listed on that paper sums up to over NGN605 billion. If they are shamed into paying up they the economy will start to move in the right direction once, likely to do so I think though in Naija nothing seems to follow normal theory
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by squito2008: 8:33am On Aug 19, 2009
why this efcc no fit leave us, i swear i no like the idea of efcc, na dem dey do and dem dey kill, Bleep efccc jare abi na lie
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by hollandis(f): 8:38am On Aug 19, 2009
davidif:

“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” - Warren Buffet

Finally. These guys were cooking the books like Ken Lay, Jeff Skilling, Bernie Ebbers and Bernard Madoff. They should be given life sentences to set an example and to deter this kind of future behavior. If the ministry of justice or the attorney general let this guys walk away, then this would confirm there incompetence.

Madoff was charged for the following crimes -
different categories of  fraud(like 4 of them)
money laundering,
false statements,
perjury,
false filings,
theft
He faces 150 years in prison and restitution

Please can you mention any crime Cecilia committed ?
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by teeewai(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2009
this is no news in nigeria, we all get hyped up in any scandal like this and before you say jack the case is lying peacefully in the bin, have u all forgotten HALLIBURTON case,talk of any scandal in nigeria, fani kayodes daylight robbery in that moribund ministry, bode george in NPA,

u guyz dont get it, laws are made for the common ones in nigeria not those people up there,

ma heart weeps for nigeria, but i believe that a day is coming when equality, justice will be the order of the day, when GOD will help change our mindset in nigeria

a piece of me
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by MrCrackles(m): 8:42am On Aug 19, 2009
This is great news. . .
But where the fuc.k is Cecilia Ibru running to? shocked
Looks like she is definitely dodgy. . .
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 19, 2009
teeewai:

this is no news in nigeria, we all get hyped up in any scandal like this and before you say jack the case is lying peacefully in the bin, have u all forgotten HALLIBURTON case,talk of any scandal in nigeria, fani kayodes daylight robbery in that moribund ministry, bode george in NPA,

u guyz dont get it, laws are made for the common ones in nigeria not those people up there,

ma heart weeps for nigeria, but i believe that a day is coming when equality, justice will be the order of the day, when GOD will help change our mindset in nigeria

a piece of me

true talk,

but i pray God would just intervene just lyk the days of Abacha, hope they all rot in jail
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Concept(m): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2009
They have started another comedy show. For where? First class citizen? Do not forget, all animals are not equal in our own dear country. It has always been like this, the result is no result.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Remii(m): 8:48am On Aug 19, 2009
@hollandis, please read this, again,

yes, hollandis, betrayal of trust is crime against humanity innocent people who have kept their hard earn money with them or bought shares in these companies based on figures they display and promises given now are let down. Last year alone, most pension funds lost about 30 - 40 % in value which means people might retire to nothing after contributing some percentages of their salaries into those funds for so many years. The realities of present situation is scary.

If you kept your money with someone under agreement and he misused the money. If he is unable to pay you back would you just walk away or you would call the police, has he committed any crime?
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by inspiragh(m): 8:49am On Aug 19, 2009
Movies like this never end. We see the begining and we might never know how it ended. The president might grant them amnesty, I'm sure Nollywood is shooting another drama now, NIGERIA, what a 1daful nation
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by hollandis(f): 8:53am On Aug 19, 2009
PAPAMODE:

The funny thing I see is when people with little idea of how institutions work make loud comments. If she has not committed a crime why the sudden move to travel.? The normal response will be to wait a while and try to clear your name before jetting out. Truely this may not have much to do with her relationship with Daddy GO but she has a certain standing as one of the most religious bank MDs which places more trust in her than maybe a dazzler or around the town man like Tony Elumelu of UBA.

The crime the MDs committed is mismanagement of resources while painting a rosy picture of good health. Visit the link http://cenbank.org/Out/publications/pressRelease/GOV/2009/ADVERTORIAL2.pdf. which has a summary of the highest debtors to the five banks and you will see a list of who's who in Naija, including our "richest man in Naija". You forget that the MDs are fiddling with shareholders funds and public trust in the financial climate. Would you like us to return to the days of keeping cash underneath our beds or using GMG to move cash from Aba to Lagos when it can be done electronically?

If those guys did not or could not repay their loans, there are documented legal ways to retrieve your funds, did they practise them? Did Access bank not sue AP to cut and did they not get their funds back? If these bigz boys/girlz refuse to pay how would the banks be able to lend funds to others? Yet we complain of the inability of the common man to get loans but how would they when they richest man's company owes over NGN 8 billion to a single bank? the collective debts listed on that paper sums up to over NGN605 billion. If they are shamed into paying up they the economy will start to move in the right direction once, likely to do so I think though in Naija nothing seems to follow normal theory

So how does your purported repatoire of banking norms explain your grouse with Ibru?I went through your boring write up,I still can't find one single crime .Go siddon for one place
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by call4shola(m): 9:00am On Aug 19, 2009
Lets be objective in our comments pls, these pple are innocent until proven guilty, God helps Nigeria, embarassed embarassed undecided
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by JamesG: 9:01am On Aug 19, 2009
Oceanic bank was the Ibru family personal piggy bank - the kids and their spouses, their friends all took huge loans out of this bank, and launder through the same. I have a personal knowledge of this - unfortunately she'll never see the inside of a court room, let alone a cell.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by hollandis(f): 9:07am On Aug 19, 2009
Remii:

@hollandis, please read this, again,

yes, hollandis, betrayal of trust is crime against humanity innocent people who have kept their hard earn money with them or bought shares in these companies based on figures they display and promises given now are let down. Last year alone, most pension funds lost about 30 - 40 % in value which means people might retire to nothing after contributing some percentages of their salaries into those funds for so many years. The realities of present situation is scary.

If you kept your money with someone under agreement and he misused the money. If he is unable to pay you back would you just walk away or you would call the police, has he committed any crime?

In as much as I like you write up.I am standing from an objective point of view.If I may ask ,whose hope has she betrayed?Please what evidence can you give that she toyed with your(depositors) money?Apart from the Tier 2 capital deficiency that forms the fulcrum of "stupid sanusi" axe(which all banks are guilty of),what crime has this woman committed?Please I want clear evidences
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by hollandis(f): 9:17am On Aug 19, 2009
nuzo:

You should be more concerned with your own sanity instead of questioning mine.

I was only guessing why brien would trust such a person if not for the fact that most nigerians tend to worship whoever says he/she is a born again or has a good relationship with pastors (not that its a bad idea to have such relationship). But all of a sudden, you jumped in to question my sanity.

She hasn't committed any crime after lending out people's money to their friends and associate?

I apologize for insulting you,but I didn't mean it that way.I am just wondering what is wrong with borrowing from a bank?Please you cannot afford to destroy her by stigmatizing her with guilty offences unless proven otherwise in a court.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by hollandis(f): 9:21am On Aug 19, 2009
call4shola:

Lets be objective in our comments pls, these pple are innocent until proven guilty, God helps Nigeria, embarassed embarassed undecided
Thanks for the summary wink
This woman is entitled to a fair hearing for crying out loud.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Stanley700(m): 9:31am On Aug 19, 2009
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Stanley700(m): 9:41am On Aug 19, 2009
kissEarly this year former CBN Governor Soludo gave Nigerians the assurance, that all is well with the banks. He said that, Nigerian banks are in a position to bail out the country from any financial stress. Soludo should also be called for questioning by the EFCC.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 19, 2009
In my own arrogant opinion, i think Efcc should go after those people who collected and are living large on the loan. i know one or two of some of the compannies listed in the cbn publicatn where junior level staff drive official camry 08 cars, i did not even know their company was operating on loan, i wonder why they cant buy kias, no wonder they are having non performing loans, lol
and i think the crimes of the boss of the banks may be book falsifying i.e. declaring fake profit , jus like the case of pamalat SpA in Italy,
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by aquita(m): 10:02am On Aug 19, 2009
None of the sacked bank M.Ds has been convicted of any crime; they were only invited for questioning. If any of them is tried and proven guilty, he or she should be jailed. we need to avoid a situation whereby banks will collpase and workers will lose their jobs, depositors will lose their money and shareholders will lose their investments.

@ hollandis, are you related to Cecilia Ibru in any way?
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by naso2(m): 10:08am On Aug 19, 2009
dis drama don  take over from amnesty and MEND wahala, after sometime dem go use boko aram wahala in lagos or other cities in the south to cover it. The way government being dey do gra gra about halliburton people  suppose don dey serve for prison  now. But all na lie. The more you look the less you see.

All of dem go settle themselves jare.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by jaybee3(m): 10:23am On Aug 19, 2009
@papamode

It will take a monumental cleansing (older corrupt generation extinction) before naij can move forward. The names on the list explains why naij keeps moving backward. These are the same people celebrated left and right in naij.
Take Arisekola Alao as example. A man not servicing a loan in the tune of 5bn is still worshiped like a king in IB.
And not to forget Dr or Prof Nduruike or whatever her name is owing in excess of 35BN and she is meant to be director of Stock Exchange or something like that. What strikes ma chord is all the money she borrowed was used in procuring failed transcorp's shares but then again she could be just a scape goat used as front for Mr Big (OBJ).

CBN needs to confiscate all 'em thief's properties if they are to be taking serious.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by dfanthom(m): 10:27am On Aug 19, 2009
they should be held for questioning & thorough investigation. i hope the powers that be don't introduce this 'RULE OF LAW' slogan otherwise the whole episode will turn out to be one of those 'as usual' brow-raising events that soon dies off a natural death.
the debtors should hurriedly pay off in the shortest possible time otherwise their assets are confiscated & tehy are thrown to jail shocked

i hope this reform chain reacts & ricochets into the political & moral conscience of the nation so that the much desired change we seek comes home to roost! cool
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 19, 2009
well, in Nigeria, debtors go free, after so many series of court cases and ajjournement , that may last several years, a chinese company was even given loan undecided the guy must be somewhere in faraway china enjoying his money grin
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Nezan(m): 11:04am On Aug 19, 2009
Lets assume they are innocent until proven guilty.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by Memunah(f): 11:11am On Aug 19, 2009
i love what d lamido guy is doing,just hope he isnt doing the initial gra gra,read in guardian newspaper today that Intercontinental bank former CEO is taking CBN for court for sacking him.waiting to c how this whole drama wil end
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by sweetpain: 11:12am On Aug 19, 2009
Arresting the bank chiefs is one thing, the seriousness of the offence and the weight of evidence is another. Which is why these agencies (CBN,EFCC) have to be on the offensive and let the people know otherwise it will further fuel speculation of a hidden agenda which will harm the affected banks even more.

I have seen people question the logic of the CBN taking these steps (sacking CEOs) even though a complete audit of the banks have not been done yet. This is actually quite strategic.

I think the whole Idea is to make example that will sink using the more visible personalities. Other CEOs will be working day and night now to retrieve such funds. This will reduce the amount required by the govt to intervene while achieving the same objective in the long run.

Memunah:

i love what d lamido guy is doing,just hope he isnt doing the initial gra gra,read in guardian newspaper today that Intercontinental bank former CEO is taking CBN for court for sacking him.waiting to c how this whole drama wil end

Gra gra is all it is. If he dares go to court all the stinking details will come out in the open. Intercontinental shares wont be worth the paper it is written on. He knows he stands to lose more than any one else.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by oshkosh(m): 11:21am On Aug 19, 2009
The CBN failed in it's supervisory and regulatory responsibilitie. These banks did what they did because the regulatory frameworks were non-existent. The CBN should shoulder much, if not all, of the blame.

I don't support these individuals being harrassed, unless malpractice or fraud can be proven. CBN should take it's regulatory and supervisory responsibilities more seriously.

Weak institutions is the bane of our society. Police, Legislature,  Law etc etc. Financial services is no exception.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by bayourgold: 11:25am On Aug 19, 2009
Well , i taught that the Re capitalization that Soludo did was to make our Banks strong but after few months he  left the office . What are we experiencing today , in a nut shell our economy is not safe and our banks on the verge of collapse,who will help us ? God abi.
Re: 3 Of The 5 Bank Chiefs Arrested by proudly9ja(m): 11:42am On Aug 19, 2009
I have a few questions for Nairalanders, the FG of Nigeria and the CBN gov

1. In the list of debtors, the GO of RCCG was not mentioned neither was RCCG itself mentioned. How come some nairalanders still deem it right to flaunt the name of the GO?

2. The CBN gov himself announced that he is yet to finish the audit. He says there are still 11 banks yet to be audited. Why the rush to prosecute these 5 banks and hence, cause panic among investors and depositors in these banks if you've only completed audit on 14 of the 25 banks we have in Nigeria?

3. Its ironical that while the bank CEOs are being 'dealt' with, the debtors who have put them into trouble are gallivanting around. Even though I have no knowledge of how these things work, I expect that by now, the properties of Dangote, etc would have been seized until the debt or a substantial part of it is repaid. It is also Ironical that another debtor like Ibori is the presiden't right hand man.

My Conclusion:

This is just another soap opera. Unless Lamido has a personal axe to grind, I do believe he is only wasting his time. It will end up like others and swept under the carpet. Quote me: In a few weeks time, the courts will restore these CEOs back to their posts and it will be business as usual.
No be Naija?

What New CJN Has Done In Less Than 24hrs Will Shock You / Nigerian Super Tucano Aircraft Undergoing Painting In Nevada, US / Fear Of Defeat: Sanwo-olu Invites Igbos To A Dinner - Photos

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68