Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,990 members, 7,919,160 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 10:45 PM

**********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** (1557 Views)

Large Farmland For Lease In Ogun State. 35 Mins From Ofada. / If You Still Don't Have A Farmland With This, Then It's Your Fault!!! / 50 Acres Farmland For Sale In Ido Local Govt Oyo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

**********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by jam04(m): 9:34am On May 25, 2016
I wonder how far should a farmland be to the city..i had this thinking because it seem funny how some potential farmers think a 3 hours drive from their home in Lekki/ajah to their farm in Ogun state on a tarred road is far. I do beat my chest and tell anyone to go ask around and compare our price with any other farmland in ogun state, especially obafemi-owode, ado-odo ota and ifo local governments which are close to Lagos and Abeokuta.
we need to put a lot of things into consideration when choosing a farmland location, most important among this is a government free land. no body no matter how highly place can win Government over their land. others include:

Cost: A farmland should be reasonably cheap

Location: Your farmland should have good accessible road network. This is to enable smooth movement of your farm produce to market.it should also be sited not too far from where you live, this is so because of emergency or unplanned visits. a 3 to 4 hour drive is not much atall. You should consider how far your farm is to the market, are you ready to pay enduring government and thug fees before you reach the market? you will be shocked at the mountain of taxes and fees collected by federal,state and local government on most of Nigerian roads on farm produce, add this to transport cost and you will be left with little or no profit not to even mention the stress you do go through and God help you if your produce is a perishable one.

Time Lapse: Yes there is a time lapse for every farmland, my fellow farmers understand this better. Every farm has its own expiry date and this is always due to village or community development. As the community develops, resident will start to put pressure on you to move your farm away from their community because of noise or smell or both. In other instance, they will tell you to harvest your crops and start planning on how to cut your acres of land into plots of land so that the community can develop as people want to move into the community and your land has to give way for residential building. do not be surprised stuffs like this happen.

Network and Labour: There are some remote lands where cellular network has not reach. how comfortable will you be if you do not have instant communication access to your farm workers..huh? or are you the type that say...'oh my farm is a plantation farm and i do not need network coverage around there'...wait till the day thieves or natural disaster or pests invade your farm and those around your farm can not reach you early enough to stop further destruction. a wise farmer knows the importance of instant/easy communication. You also need access to laborers and casual staff.

Security: How many farmers have the fund to erect fence round a 50 acres land or even 3 or 5 acres..huh? truth be told most of us leave our farm UN-fenced, we do rather divert the fence fund into farm expansion. So what security there is for such farms without wire or brick fence, the answer is good neighborhood. produce theft thrives in a community where there are no strict laws against theft or a location where your farm is the only one there and the nearest village or farm to your is about 1 hour away. that is your farm is in a solitary environment, even if you fence it will be broken. You need a location where farming activity thrives and community is not far from it, in fact there are some farmlands that circle round host community.

These are some of the factors we consider when we search for farmlands because we are farmers ourselves, so if this kind of land is what you desire then you should know we are the right person to talk to.

Re: **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by thatfolajomi: 7:21am On Jun 03, 2016
Hello Sir jam04,
How do you intend in helping us source for good livestock farming lands not too far from Lagos.

Thanks
Re: **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by jam04(m): 7:50am On Jun 03, 2016
thatfolajomi:
Hello Sir jam04,
How do you intend in helping us source for good livestock farming lands not too far from Lagos.

Thanks
when you say 'far' how do you mean? we need to understand farmlands are to be sited far away from residential/built up areas and areas where residential development wont happen in at least 20 years. any serious farmer seeking for such farmland lands within 200k-250k/per acre price range should not mind distance of about 3hours drive away from their base. wherever you are in Lagos we have farmlands close to you with maximum 3hr drive time for 200,000/acre price range.
you can call for more info:

Penthouse industry limited
olulay @yah oo.com
Re: **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by Twinmama(f): 1:58pm On Jun 06, 2016
Do u have farmlands in Ibadan? If yes where's the location
Re: **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by jam04(m): 11:52pm On Jun 06, 2016
Twinmama:
Do u have farmlands in Ibadan? If yes where's the location

we do not have
Re: **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by jam04(m): 5:50am On Jun 15, 2016
We are learning...
Re: **********how To Choose A Good Farmland******** by jam04(m): 8:31am On Mar 02, 2022
jam04:
I wonder how far should a farmland be to the city..i had this thinking because it seem funny how some potential farmers think a 3 hours drive from their home in Lekki/ajah to their farm in Ogun state on a tarred road is far. I do beat my chest and tell anyone to go ask around and compare our price with any other farmland in ogun state, especially obafemi-owode, ado-odo ota and ifo local governments which are close to Lagos and Abeokuta.
we need to put a lot of things into considerations when choosing a farmland location, most important among this is a government free land. no body no matter how highly place can win Government over their land. others include:

Cost: A farmland should be reasonably cheap

Location: Your farmland should have good accessible road network. This is to enable smooth movement of your farm produce to market.it should also be sited not too far from where you live, this is so because of emergency or unplanned visits. a 3 to 4 hour drive is not much atall. You should consider how far your farm is to the market, are you ready to pay enduring government and thug fees before you reach the market? you will be shocked at the mountain of taxes and fees collected by federal,state and local government on most of Nigerian roads on farm produce, add this to transport cost and you will be left with little or no profit not to even mention the stress you do go through and God help you if your produce is a perishable one.

Time Lapse: Yes there is a time lapse for every farmland, my fellow farmers understand this better. Every farm has its own expiry date and this is always due to village or community development. As the community develops, resident will start to put pressure on you to move your farm away from their community because of noise or smell or both. In other instance, they will tell you to harvest your crops and start planning on how to cut your acres of land into plots of land so that the community can develop as people want to move into the community and your land has to give way for residential building. do not be surprised stuffs like this happen.

Network and Labour: There are some remote lands where cellular network has not reach. how comfortable will you be if you do not have instant communication access to your farm workers..huh? or are you the type that say...'oh my farm is a plantation farm and i do not need network coverage around there'...wait till the day thieves or natural disaster or pests invade your farm and those around your farm can not reach you early enough to stop further destruction. a wise farmer knows the importance of instant/easy communication. You also need access to laborers and casual staff.

Security: How many farmers have the fund to erect fence round a 50 acres land or even 3 or 5 acres..huh? truth be told most of us leave our farm UN-fenced, we do rather divert the fence fund into farm expansion. So what security there is for such farms without wire or brick fence, the answer is good neighborhood. produce theft thrives in a community where there are no strict laws against theft or a location where your farm is the only one there and the nearest village or farm to your is about 1 hour away. that is your farm is in a solitary environment, even if you fence it will be broken. You need a location where farming activity thrives and community is not far from it, in fact there are some farmlands that circle round host community.

These are some of the factors we consider when we search for farmlands because we are farmers ourselves, so if this kind of land is what you desire then you should know we are the right person to talk to.

This is still valid

(1) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Catfish Management / 1500 Stand complete Green House For sale in ibadan. / Benue Sweet Yams.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.