Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,979 members, 7,873,152 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:52 AM

2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari (471 Views)

Order Of Polls: Jonathan Backs National Assembly, Labels APC A Failure / El-Rufai Dismisses Atiku's Defection: "No Northern Politician Can Defeat Buhari" / Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari by henroe2k2(m): 2:37am On May 31, 2016
ABUJA —One year after he became the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari has said he is still shocked at how former President Goodluck Jonathan conceded defeat in the March 28, 2015, presidential elections and handed over the reins of power to him.

The President said it was such an incredible development that a man who had occupied various political offices as a deputy governor, governor, vice president and president could easily relinquish power to the opposition party, adding that Jonathan had by this gesture, distinguished himself as a generous and gracious man.

Buhari, who gave glowing tribute to his predecessor while hosting State House Correspondents to a luncheon at the new banquet hall of the Presidential Villa yesterday, was offering retrospective highlights of his early days in office after his inauguration.

He said that the last one year had been “a tumultuous year for everyone in the villa'', revealing that it was the congratulatory call from Jonathan made that prompted him to visit the Villa in with former Head of State, Abdusalami Abubakar, for appreciation.

He said: “I will talk about my experience here in Aso Villa. I underrated the influence of the PDP for 16 years, watching from outside as three consecutive governments went by.

“When we came, there were 42 ministries. We cut it to 24. This is where I pay my respect to former President Goodluck Jonathan. This is actually a privileged information for you. He called me at a quarter past five in the evening. He said good evening Your Excellency sir and I said good evening.

‘’He said I have called to congratulate you and have conceded defeat. Of course, there was dead silence on my end because I did not expect it. I was shocked. I did not expect it because after 16 years, the man was a deputy governor, governor, Vice President and was President for six years.

“For him to have conceded defeat even before the result was announced by INEC, was quite generous and gracious of him.

“Abdulsalam recognized the generosity of Jonathan to concede defeat and said we should go and thank him immediately and that was the first time I came here.”

The President stated that reducing the Ministries to 24 from 42 was the best decision to take in the face of the circumstances his government found itself.

“We had to do it on our own we found out that government could not continue with 42 ministers and the paraphernalia of office. So, we cut it down to 24. We had to cut down half the number of permanent secretaries and then do some cross postings”, he said.

On what civil servants did to 2016 Budget
President Buhari, however, regretted that some civil servants within the budgetary system “padded” his first budget for the country.

He said it was a “nasty experience” for him and his Ministers, who spent sleepless nights putting the document together.

He said: “For somebody like me, for the first time I heard what is called padding.

‘’I think we will recover by the fourth quarter of the year. There were very serious development which I never knew about.

“So, really it was a nasty experience for us. It was also a nasty experience for some of the ministers who were never in government. For them to sit down day and night to work. I saw them. Some of them literary lost weight because they were sleeping less and eating less. Working on every kobo to be spent.

“Because we became a mono-economy of oil-rich Nigeria, everybody relied on oil and forgot about solid minerals, agriculture, making and exploring things. We recently just found out that we are poor because we don’t have anything to fall back on. This is the condition we found ourselves and this change mantra had to go through hell up till yesterday.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/2015-polls-jonathan-shocked-conceding-defeat-buhari/
Re: 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari by Dreal11247: 2:51am On May 31, 2016
Necessity is the mother of invention. As oil fails, it's time for diversification.
Re: 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari by chriskosherbal(m): 3:37am On May 31, 2016
He is a gentleman.
Re: 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari by Osehnetworld(m): 4:53am On May 31, 2016
bro u ain't shocked, simply put, u r nt prepared for leadership
Re: 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari by Mynd44: 6:07am On May 31, 2016
Re: 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari by henroe2k2(m): 7:08am On May 31, 2016
Jonathan did what you wouldn't have done ordinarily... Person wey pass person pass am...

(1) (Reply)

Must Read: Reno Omokri Challenge President Buhari, APC, And Nigeria. / Ramadan: Police IG, Arase, Orders Security Checks At Key Places / Ngige's Careless Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.