Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,417 members, 7,881,527 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:25 PM

Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari (679 Views)

Jonathan Congratulates Ghana President Mahama For Conceding Defeat / Buhari’s N10trillion Loan Request: My Colleagues Shocked Me – Ndume / 2015 POLLS: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Defeat — Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by djlawex02(m): 3:29am On May 31, 2016
resident Muhammadu Buhari on Monday said he never expected that former President Goodluck Jonathan would concede defeat so easily after the March 2015 presidential election. He said it was unbelievable that Jonathan, who had spent 16 years in public offices ranging from deputy governor and state governor to being vice-president and president, could throw in the towel like that. Buhari spoke while hosting State House correspondents to a lunch at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, as part of the activities marking his one year in office. He said, “This is where I pay my
respect to former President Goodluck Jonathan. This is actually privileged information for you. “He called me at a quarter-past- five in the evening. He said, ‘Good evening, Your Excellency,
sir’ and I said, ‘Good evening.’ He said, ‘I have called to congratulate you that I have conceded defeat.’ “Of course, there was dead silence on my end because I did not expect it. I was shocked. “I did not expect it because after 16 years; the man was a deputy governor, governor, vice- president and was president for six years. “For him to have conceded defeat even before the result was announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission, I think it was quite generous and gracious of him. “Gen. Abdulsalami recognised the generosity of Jonathan to concede defeat and said we should go and thank him immediately and that was the first time I came here.” Buhari recalled that it was the former military leader, Abdusalami Abubakar, who suggested the setting up of transition committees because that was the way he did when he wanted to hand over to former President Olusegun Obasanjo in 1999. Buhari regretted that while Jonathan was not opposed to the idea at the beginning, he was later prevailed upon by his ministers not to do so. He said their argument was that the former President would have
handed over government to him (Buhari) before his inauguration. Watching from outside government, Buhari said he underrated the influence of the Peoples Democratic Party’s 16 years in power. Buhari recalled that he reduced the number of ministries from 42 to 24 and reduced the number of permanent secretaries. He regretted that some permanent secretaries were used to the past arrangement, hence they saw the All Progressives Congress’ campaign promises as rubbish. He said things became more difficult during budget preparation as some government officials padded the document. The President, however, expressed the hope that the nation would recover from the setback by the fourth quarter of the year. Buhari said, “The permanent secretaries that were there for the past five to seven years, the only thing that they know is how things were done in the previous
years. “Whatever we did in the campaign, to them, we were saying rubbish and that made it very difficult for us. “Things were even more difficult during the budget, which you all know about. For somebody like me, for the first time I heard what is called padding. “So, really, it was a nasty experience for us. It was also a nasty experience for some of the ministers who were never in government, for them to sit down day and night to work. I saw some of them literarily lost weight because they were sleeping less and eating less, working on every kobo to be spent. “Because we had become a mono-economy, everybody relied on oil and forgot about solid minerals, agriculture, making and exploring things. We recently just found out that we are poor because we don’t have anything to fall back to.”
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by djlawex02(m): 3:30am On May 31, 2016
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by chriskosherbal(m): 3:34am On May 31, 2016
I just believe former preside Good luck Jonathan is an example of a complete gentleman.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by cckris: 3:49am On May 31, 2016
Maj Gen Liar Buhari.

1st time he heard about padding. . .Is corruption a new word?

There was CORRUPTION in1978, when Buhari as Minister of Petroleum, placed Nigeria's $2.4 billion at the Midlands Bank, London, in account that didn't belong to Nigeria. Senator Olusola Saraki investigated & reported back to the Senate in 1983, after which Buhari toppled the democratically elected Government.
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by Solowande(m): 4:00am On May 31, 2016
I'm just thinking, if it's bubu at lose to oga jona, will he call to congratulate him and conceded easy? GEJ my hero
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by greatgod2012(f): 4:20am On May 31, 2016
PMB sir, if the table was turned around, will you have done what GEJ did

That is to tell you that you don't judge a book by it's cover!!!

GEJ becomes an hero for that singular act.

I suggest you follow his footstep come 2019.
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by Osehnetworld(m): 4:25am On May 31, 2016
dear sir, Dnt b sceptical wit the truth, simply own up DT u were 'nt prepared for national leadership buh for a national bloodbath
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by KPhantom(m): 4:35am On May 31, 2016
You think he'd be sensless like you in ur previous election when you unleashed mayhem. GEJ we miss you.
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by ayemerbarth: 5:01am On May 31, 2016
And the noise continues. If you were shocked by GEJ's act, it then means you ll not do same if you were in the shoes he never had.
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by kossyablaze(m): 5:25am On May 31, 2016
Mtchew
Re: Jonathan Shocked Me By Conceding Easily, Says Buhari by Mynd44: 6:19am On May 31, 2016

(1)

8 Soldiers Feared Dead, As Militants Attack Gunboats In Onitsha / Breakdown Of Recovered Loot / PHOTOS: Ajimobi,el-rufai,aregbesola,SHettima At Launch Of Free Lunch For Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.