Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,665 members, 7,889,170 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 02:00 AM

Is God All There Is? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God All There Is? (632 Views)

There Are No Men Of God: All We Have Is Men Of Thieves / Is God All Merciful? If He Is All Merciful, Is He All Powerful? / With God All Things Are Possible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is God All There Is? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:00am On May 31, 2016
While I still consider myself a theist, I leave my mind open to wonder and questions on the validity of my beliefs and beliefs of others around me. Probably because I know that none of us really has the answers and we can only find out for sure after we pass on (I guess). Who knows, my belief system can change based on the strength of my convictions at any point in time. This will be a prologue to all the questions I will be asking here on this thread. Just needed to get that out of the way first.

So, we theists have God as the furthest point of existence. But what if we are wrong. What if there are other equally great or greater "gods"? What if we are just playthings in the hands of this our particular God that he doesn't share with the others if there are?

For analogy, consider this. Imagine a hamster in a cage in a young man's room. For the sake of this analogy, this hamster is capable of rational or semi-rational thought. Now, also imagine that none of the other housemates is allowed into the young man's room (like a rent situation where everybody has their rooms and nobody is allowed into anybody else's room except with their Express's permission). All the hamster sees is the room around his cage (the universe) and the young man that owns him and takes care of him (God). Does this not leave open the possibility that:

1) There are other rooms in the house (other universes beyond our scope and vision)
2) Other housemates in the house (other "gods" with more or less equal power as the one we know and respectful of boundaries so they don't interfere)
3) Other hamsters in other cages in other rooms who are also oblivious to the existence of the hamster the analogy

Consider that since the young man that owns him is the only person he sees and the only person that takes care of him and moves things in,out of and around the room, he would naturally consider the young man to
1) Be the only young man (God) in existence
2) Be the most powerful (since there is nobody else in sight to compare him with except those he lets into the room and even then, they are under his jurisdiction because they are in his room)

This is just the start of a thought process. What do you think - rationally?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is God All There Is? by Leopantro: 6:47pm On Jun 02, 2016
Wonderful analogy. Really thought provoking
Re: Is God All There Is? by donnffd(m): 8:55pm On Jun 02, 2016
Its a valid question but what you are asking in layman terms is , where did God come from?
Re: Is God All There Is? by nuwell(m): 7:52pm On Jun 03, 2016
A few clarifications first please...

Your analogy assumes that that hamster was not bought but begotten in captivity, right?

And if that were the case, that it was born without knowledge of its mother at least, and never received nourishment from her or otherwise interacted with her, for however brief a time?

Or that it's first moment of awareness was of its keeper?

Or that it had never witnessed its owner open the door to that room in leaving or arriving, and hence thus been inspired BY THE OWNER'S ACTIONS, with knowledge of an alternate reality - that is, of other rooms and occupants?

Now, if all that could be explained, and indeed the hamster's entire existence is centered around his knowledge of and relationship with its keeper, what other reality could it imagine?

Of course, it could see the room and realize that it was restricted by a cage, but that would be the extent of its imagination, assuming as we rationalized earlier, that it had never seen the door to that room opened.

I see that the hamster could only dream of and desire things that the keeper/owner permitted it to see or to know. It could not claim sole responsibility for its own ingenuity.

Just musing too. Wotcha think?

(1) (Reply)

What Is True Prayer? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 07/07/16 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.