Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,731 members, 7,875,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:52 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (244) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (821856 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 8:03pm On Dec 13, 2007
For me charts give me headaches, I have always been a student of the 'common sense' approach to investing, and trading, I dont want to make the type of issue I had while arguing in a thread in stockmarketnigeriam
.Com, called investing vs trading. And please
dont give me a loan to trade stocks even without charging me interest, I am better making mistakes and learning from it all with my own cash.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2007
pumping777:

The problem is not the funds. My portfolio right now has about 40% in cash. The problem is the risk appetite. I've only started trying it out, so I'm threading with caution.

40% cash   shocked shocked shocked Oh Pleeeaaasseee can I have some  smiley smiley. Anyway you're right though, risk appetite does determine a lot. I myself started in 8/2005, but started using margin about 3months later. The setting was just perfect -- stocks going for prices that I considered a STEAL, naira appreciating against dollar, the economy and NSE with rapidly improving fundamentals . . . Just converting USD to naira, doing absolutely nothing (or maybe putting the money in a fixed deposit acct) and then converting the naira back to USD within about 3 to 4 months would have resulted in a positive margin over the interest rate here. Twas too good to be true, and windywendy just had to get herself summ. . .  grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2007
ckenneths:

For me charts give me headaches, I have always been a student of the 'common sense' approach to investing, and trading, I don't want to make the type of issue I had while arguing in a thread in stockmarketnigeriam
don't give me a loan to trade stocks even without charging me interest, I am better making mistakes and learning from it all with my own cash.

I agree, that debate is best left alone. I'm not against margin trading but I have not gathered enough liver to try it.  embarassed tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:06pm On Dec 13, 2007
ckenneths:

@yodiyokun, volume is everything in the stock market. Some trend watchers pay very firm attention to volume as this has a big story to tell about the availability or otherwise of any particular stock. High volumes suggest availability while low volumes suggest scarcity.
Also a stock that is sparsely available will experience scarcity immediately large volumes are requested. Some traders love this a lot. Used it myself immediately I found out the number of shares that Nig german has. I saw that only about 30 mil units will form the basis for availability since others are held by top directors and institutions.
Hope this helps.

I have a problem with this ! it can be argued either way - high volume traded could mean many people are selling - cos they want to take profit or people ar ebuying because its a good price to enter.

Can we say the turn of the volume treand could mean a reversal in the current price trend? is this the case

Volumes requested is diferent from the volume actually traded. - Please explain how all this works!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:08pm On Dec 13, 2007
easimoni:

Wendy,
My table is from FSDH's report. Just start from Afprint and copy the volumes down. Paste in my worksheet and enjoy! Note there is a formula to sum up total volumes at the bottom of my sheet that some may find useful. The only time you run into problems is when a new stock is introduced (insert column(s) at the right place in my worksheet) or renamed/relocated (Intercontinental WAPIC).

@Easimoni,

I beg which of your worksheets is that?

Where will I copy the volume to? Am I missing something?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:09pm On Dec 13, 2007
windywendy:

40% cash   shocked shocked shocked Oh Pleeeaaasseee can I have some  smiley smiley. Anyway you're right though, risk appetite does determine a lot. I myself started in 8/2005, but started using margin about 3months later. The setting was just perfect -- stocks going for prices that I considered a STEAL, naira appreciating against dollar, the economy and NSE with rapidly improving fundamentals . . . Just converting USD to naira, doing absolutely nothing (or maybe putting the money in a fixed deposit acct) and then converting the naira back to USD within about 3 to 4 months would have resulted in a positive margin over the interest rate here. Twas too good to be true, and windywendy just had to get herself summ. . .  grin

That works if you wish to borrow a small amount from a US bank. If you've built up a portfolio of N100M (not saying I have o!), which bank in the US will lend you/me 12M/100k USD? Would it be woth you while otherwise?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:09pm On Dec 13, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2007
yodiyokun:

I have a problem with this ! it can be argued either way - high volume traded could mean many people are selling - because they want to take profit or people ar ebuying because its a good price to enter.

Can we say the turn of the volume treand could mean a reversal in the current price trend? is this the case

Volumes requested is diferent from the volume actually traded. - Please explain how all this works!

Volumes and price by themselves don't really tell the whole story. You have to look at both to get an idea what could be happening in the market. High vols plus increasing prices could mean the shares are being gobbled up. You then need to do your legwork to find out what's happening for real perhaps put that phone call thru to your broker, could be a core investor in the works or something  smiley. For me, the trend is what counts, as it may be fatal to act on a one-off instance.

But I'm still curios about Fatherof2's reference to the market having its own personality . . . Fatherof2, can you pls explain further?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:12pm On Dec 13, 2007
easimoni:

That works if you wish to borrow a small amount from a US bank. If you've built up a portfolio of N100M (not saying I have o!), which bank in the US will lend you/me 12M/100k USD? Would it be woth you while otherwise?

YOu are right - I think the issue is how much are you currently commanding in your portfolio.

If you have 100M - hypothetically (I no know book o), borrowing 100K USD wont do much .

But if you have only 1M naira in your portofolio borrowing 100K usd - goes a long way to improve your bottom line.

My point being - there are levels and there are levels
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2007
yodiyokun:

I have a problem with this ! it can be argued either way - high volume traded could mean many people are selling - because they want to take profit or people ar ebuying because its a good price to enter.

Actually, let me give one example.

Very High Volume and 5% gain in price will normally translate to a bull run.
Very High Volume and 5% drop in price will normally translate to a bear run.

These are very simple scenarios. It does not require any chart. Now factor in the trading pattern over the last few days and you'll be amazed at the trend that can come to light.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:15pm On Dec 13, 2007
easimoni:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=31554.msg1767212#msg1767212

Yodi,
click the link

I already downloaded the volume - thanks

I thot you meant another spreadsheet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:15pm On Dec 13, 2007
easimoni:

Get a credit card with a good sized limit, and fixed APR.

BTW, thanks for the hints on updating the volumes spreadsheet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 8:20pm On Dec 13, 2007
@yodiyokun, you are peharps right in stating ther that it works both ways sometimes, especially when demands wants to meet supply, volume will become higher. But that is the place where trend watcher kick in, you see the volume has told them a story. They will interprete what the volume says, I never said volumes should be used without reading what it means.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2007
@yodiyokun, you are peharps right in stating ther that it works both ways sometimes, especially when demands wants to meet supply, volume will become higher. But that is the place where trend watcher kick in, you see the volume has told them a story. They will interprete what the volume says, I never said volumes should be used without reading what it means.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:23pm On Dec 13, 2007
ckenneths:

For me charts give me headaches, I have always been a student of the 'common sense' approach to investing, and trading, I don't want to make the type of issue I had while arguing in a thread in stockmarketnigeriam
don't give me a loan to trade stocks even without charging me interest, I am better making mistakes and learning from it all with my own cash.

Remember I was a ardent believer in long term investing  

Level don change o.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:23pm On Dec 13, 2007
@ckenneths, which day you come land here? what a surprise  grin grin You don fashi your good ol townsmen for the other place? cheesy Anyway you're very welcome. Your views are highly appreciated!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:24pm On Dec 13, 2007
windywendy:

Get a credit card with a good sized limit, and fixed APR.

BTW, thanks for the hints on updating the volumes spreadsheet.

@Easimoni ,

For those established here - some have as much as 500K USD available to them on credit - this is unsecured oo.

When some banks will just keep upping your limit every 3 months. All this oyinbo they want people to eat gbese till they quench.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:26pm On Dec 13, 2007
pumping777:

Remember I was a ardent believer in long term investing  

Level don change o.

Ah Pumping, did you say "was"? Abeg don't give up on long term investing oh. That's where the real money is my opinion though. Abi how many of the forbes 400 billionaires are short term investors? At least we know that the #2 on the list is a long term investor  smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:28pm On Dec 13, 2007
windywendy:

Ah Pumping, did you say "was"? Abeg don't give up on long term investing oh. That's where the real money is my opinion though. Abi how many of the forbes 400 billionaires are short term investors? At least we know that the #2 on the list is a long term investor smiley

I think what Mr pumping is saying is that - he is trying short term to see how it goes - I trust him he will not abandon long term investing.

When you have deep pockets - you can only do so much trading!!! grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2007
yodiyokun:

@Easimoni ,

For those established here - some have as much as 500K USD available to them on credit - this is unsecured oo.

When some banks will just keep upping your limit every 3 months. All this oyinbo they want people to eat gbese till they quench.

$500K unsecured credit from which bank in the US?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ckenneths(m): 8:30pm On Dec 13, 2007
@windy wendy and all, I am still begging to perch with you people for this great forum. I only hope una go accept me here. As for SMN, I will still retain an active presence there, I love those people there.

I am loyal to you all, fro easimoni to frankiriri to pumping777 to father of 2 to everybody.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:31pm On Dec 13, 2007
windywendy:

Ah Pumping, did you say "was"? Abeg don't give up on long term investing oh. That's where the real money is my opinion though. Abi how many of the forbes 400 billionaires are short term investors? At least we know that the #2 on the list is a long term investor  smiley

In fact you are very right but not about the deep pockets part

I use good PO/IPO opportunities to take care of my long term investing while I see how this momentum based trading goes. My limit remains that I won't buy a stock without good fundamentals. I don't care about any momentum then. It means I will miss out on some juicy opportunities but no problem. I need to preserve my funds.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:33pm On Dec 13, 2007
ckenneths:

@windy wendy and all, I am still begging to perch with you people for this great forum. I only hope una go accept me here. As for SMN, I will still retain an active presence there, I love those people there.

I am loyal to you all, fro easimoni to frankiriri to pumping777 to father of 2 to everybody.

I'm with you in surfacing at both forums. The folks here too like book  grin grin grin Na so so chart and numbers grin

If no be SMN, I for still dey beg for Aiico and Costain prospectus till now. God bless Apache!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:39pm On Dec 13, 2007
pumping777:

Actually, let me give one example.

Very High Volume and 5% gain in price will normally translate to a bull run.
Very High Volume and 5% drop in price will normally translate to a bear run.

These are very simple scenarios. It does not require any chart. Now factor in the trading pattern over the last few days and you'll be amazed at the trend that can come to light.

I think this guy pumping has his body in the US and his soul in the NSE.
You're studying the NSE book on your own and getting it.
I heard you say you were lurking for beta glass the other day.I laughed.If you had struck on the Thursday/friday days i told you about,you would have been 10% richer today.Now look two weeks back from 7th when Beta glass hit its last low,it was a friday again.Now this is were volume (trading wise comes in for me).Its RISKY though but forget that i've talked about 25% many a time.I usually use N6m or a little less to get 10% in one week and after my broker commission,i end up with N360,000 in 1 week.
@Windywendy

I'm really impressed with your bravery oh for a lady.You're my second sister after yodiyokun.
NSE has habits and these old habits just don't stop.We human beings behave continuosly in particular ways and patterns by which we can be easily identified.
I'll explain some things later in future sessions.Examples will pop up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2007
FatherOF2:

I think this guy pumping has his body in the US and his soul in the NSE.
You're studying the NSE book on your own and getting it.
I heard you say you were lurking for beta glass the other day.I laughed.If you had struck on the Thursday/friday days i told you about,you would have been 10% richer today.Now look two weeks back from 7th when Beta glass hit its last low,it was a friday again.Now this is were volume (trading wise comes in for me).Its RISKY though but forget that i've talked about 25% many a time.I usually use N6m or a little less to get 10% in one week and after my broker commission,i end up with N360,000 in 1 week.
@Windywendy

I'm really impressed with your bravery oh for a lady.You're my second sister after yodiyokun.
NSE has habits and these old habits just don't stop.We human beings behave continuosly in particular ways and patterns by which we can be easily identified.
I'll explain some things later in future sessions.Examples will pop up.

Trust that I already told my broker that my trades can only be executed on Thursay or Friday Just joking but frankly I've stopped trading outside this window.

I think you have access to my portfolio grin. My Beta Glass is looking at me with 10% interest. However, caution got the best of me. I only bought 50k units sad sad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2007
pumping777:

$500K unsecured credit from which bank in the US?

Cool it down ooo!!.

I did not say 1 bank - did I? Remember when you are married and both are working is another ball game from single person ooo.

An average person I have met since my short time here has as many as 3-5 credit cards

at least 1 amex, 1 mastercard and 1 Visa.

Then there is line of credit and you can have unsecured line of credit as much as 100k - depends on your relationship with your bank and whether you have other investment vehicles with them

When you combine all the credit limits of both partners and line of credit - bam -----

Remember - the key word established. I have learnt that everything is strategy.

I have also met people here that have lived here for 3 years without a credit history - they do not understand what other peoples money can do? They are afraid of credit card spending and interest.They just allow their savings of 20k lie in the bank for nothing

I only buy what I want to buy - no temptation can catch me as far as I know the purpose for me having credit - chikena.

Except you have a credit history Bank no send you!.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pangolo: 8:47pm On Dec 13, 2007
Nairalanders!!
I am unveiling a secret member who has been responsible for all the secret stock movement we have been complaining about. Take a look at this
I usually use N6m or a little less to get 10% in one week and after my broker commission,i end up with N360,000 in 1 week shocked shocked shocked
. This man has POCKETS grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:50pm On Dec 13, 2007
pangolo:

Nairalanders!!
I am unveiling a secret member who has been responsible for all the secret stock movement we have been complaining about. Take a look at this . This man has POCKETS grin

Seriously - the man just installed VSAT na yam- I beg leave tory ojare.

But this NSE sha don make billionaires - my time is coming who no know go know
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 8:56pm On Dec 13, 2007
ckenneths:

i imagine you have a low risk appetite but like WW wrote it is VERY REWARDING. I only started investing from last december but i read Other Peoples Money by one of Robert Kiyosaki's advisor and that did it for me. It is simply INCREDIBLE the multiplier effect that leverage has. I started using leverage lately and the reward is Huge .Right now i source capital continiously to invest. At the moment am a highly funded investor . Your cash is got a limit , but OPM IS LIMITLESS.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:58pm On Dec 13, 2007
@fatherof 2

Please whats your email - I have an issue to discuss brother to sister?? and no I dont have N285 to borrow you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:00pm On Dec 13, 2007
yodiyokun:

Cool it down ooo!!.

I did not say 1 bank - did I? Remember when you are married and both are working is another ball game from single person ooo.

An average person I have met since my short time here has as many as 3-5 credit cards

at least 1 amex, 1 mastercard and 1 Visa.

Then there is line of credit and you can have unsecured line of credit as much as 100k - depends on your relationship with your bank and whether you have other investment vehicles with them

When you combine all the credit limits of both partners and line of credit - bam -----

Remember - the key word established. I have learnt that everything is strategy.

I have also met people here that have lived here for 3 years without a credit history - they do not understand what other peoples money can do? They are afraid of credit card spending and interest.They just allow their savings of 20k lie in the bank for nothing

I only buy what I want to buy - no temptation can catch me as far as I know the purpose for me having credit - chikena.

Except you have a credit history Bank no send you!.

I've lived for fairly long periods (working for the same company for 8 years)  in the UK, Ireland, Germany and now in the US and I have impeccable credit all over. In the UK alone, I have credit cards with total credit limits over £100K (2 cards alone make up almost £50K). If I combine the credit on the cards I have in these 4 locations, I'll be looking at over $500K. Do you expect me to cash this out and go stock trading in Nigeria??  

What will happen to my credit here if this go wrong CCJ Bankruptcy??

My point is this. If you have $500K line of credit, please don't take it all. Maybe take 10%. Caution. Oyinbo credit is very much tied to time. If you payment is late by one day, na wahala. It is called irreparable damage.

I'm just saying it is not as simple has you have put it.

If you want to proceed this way, you have to device a better way of taking advantage of the credit system.

In my own case, I sold one of my properties in Ireland (After 200% appreciation Ireland good o) and moved the funds to Naija this year. No headaches. No sweating.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 9:03pm On Dec 13, 2007
pumping777:

In fact you are very right but not about the deep pockets part

I use good PO/IPO opportunities to take care of my long term investing while I see how this momentum based trading goes. My limit remains that I won't buy a stock without good fundamentals. I don't care about any momentum then. It means I will miss out on some juicy opportunities but no problem. I need to preserve my funds.

You just expressed my use of Public offers. couldnt have put it better .

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.