Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,365 members, 7,888,177 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:04 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (329) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (823997 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Safive: 3:19pm On Jan 15, 2008
Hi Chrisg

Investment in shares is all about risk taking with safety levels. The volatity in the capital market has paid so many investors recently. For short and medium term profit taking your best bet is the secondary market. Even long term, secondary market might be better considering the waves of return of moneys after a long time due to po oversubscription. If you are buying small volumes per slot and you'r ready for long term them pursue the primary market. Take like 5,000 units of Zenith Bank per slot till you are filled. Sky bank also looks fair.

In the secondary market you can close down on Diamond bank, FCMB, UBA and first bank. If you follow earlier thread you might decide to close your bank account and use all for deap capital for a short run.

Wishing you the best
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 3:19pm On Jan 15, 2008
i personally am not going for fidelity now cuz there are better opportunities coming up a la oceanic (not quite there yet though).
fidelity is weak compared to others in their sector. having said that, i bought a small amount of their P.O, waiting to see if i'm allocated any and will probably dispose of it asap unless something drastic happens.

hope this helps. don't lose money if u can avoid it. this is my story of a small but noteworthy error by buying the P.O

it won't happen again if i have anything to say about it.  cheesy  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 3:29pm On Jan 15, 2008
no_shaking:

UNIC Q3 Result just out! Market opened late because oga patapata dey brief stock brokers etc all morning!

UNIC INSURANCE PLC

NINE MONTHS RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 30-09-2007
2007 2006 %CHANGE
TURNOVER N1.389b N1.568b (11.41)
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N332.440m N338.226m (1.71)
TAXATION (N50.587m) (N31.384m)
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N281.853m N306.842m (8.14)

@Wanajo
sorry to tackle you like this, but can you defend UNIC. you always had you doubts about the insurance industry though!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 3:47pm On Jan 15, 2008
crazyT:

@AKTOPGUN

Special prayer for Tobechukwu

Lord Jesus Christ, Good Shepherd of the sheep, you gather the lambs in your arms and carry them in your bosom:
We commend to your loving care this child Tobechukwu. Relieve his pain, guard him from all danger, restore to him your gifts of gladness and strength, and raise him up to a life of service to you. In Jesus mighty name we pray. Amen

AMEN
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:54pm On Jan 15, 2008
kpineo:

@Wanajo
sorry to tackle you like this, but can you defend UNIC. you always had you doubts about the insurance industry though!

Why should I defend UNIC. I've told you people that there are many things that are not in the public domain as far as insurance stocks are concerned.

On UNIC, while not privy to the details, it may actually be an EXCELLENT result. I know that UNIC was to excise their General Insurance. If that has happened it means that the 2007 result is just for the LIfe business as compared to 2006 which was for both LIFE and NON LIFE. Need confirmation on this though. But with turnover and PAT below 2006 level, that will be my guess.

Me, I know that the insurance companies are not well regulated so a lot of abracadabra is taking place!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2008
@wanajo
serious abracadabra. SIDDON LOOK is the approach for now.
If your initial thoughts are correct then it would be an excellent result, but i don't think the NSE has such depth to understand those kind of issues and react swiftly.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 4:04pm On Jan 15, 2008
@aktopgun, doctors practice medicine, all "we" know is medicine, but God is the true Healer, Here's a prayer

Dear Lord Jesus: Thank you for Your announcement that You are the Lord, our Healer. Tobechukwu, he was given as a gift from you to "praise You" ALL the days of his life. When Jesus suffered on the cross, was bruised, beaten and torn, any possible sicknesses were laid on Him so that Tobe could be free. He was healed even before I knew I was going to receive your gift! Christ redeemed us from the curse, so in the name of Jesus, I forbid any sickness or disease to come upon his body. Every germ and virus that touches it dies instantly in the mighty name of Jesus. Every part of his body functions to the perfection to when you o God created it to function.
We thank you God that you are with us now
AMEN
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:13pm On Jan 15, 2008
Naijadr:

@aktopgun, doctors practice medicine, all "we" know is medicine, but God is the true Healer, Here's a prayer

Dear Lord Jesus: Thank you for Your announcement that You are the Lord, our Healer. Tobechukwu, he was given as a gift from you to "praise You" ALL the days of his life. When Jesus suffered on the cross, was bruised, beaten and torn, any possible sicknesses were laid on Him so that Tobe could be free. He was healed even before I knew I was going to receive your gift! Christ redeemed us from the curse, so in the name of Jesus, I forbid any sickness or disease to come upon his body. Every germ and virus that touches it dies instantly in the mighty name of Jesus. Every part of his body functions to the perfection to when you o God created it to function.
AMEN

AMEN.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by weebee(f): 4:14pm On Jan 15, 2008
Naijadr:

AMEN
Amen! It is well with Tobechukwu in Jesus name.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 4:18pm On Jan 15, 2008
Insurance has began to frighten me, first it was the news of some share added to cornerstone to make it bloated out of value, then this from UNIC?

I think I better start shedding weight there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mishooo(m): 4:21pm On Jan 15, 2008
Pls what about their recapitalization palaver ?? Hope those guys are not losing our money?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:22pm On Jan 15, 2008
invisible!:

Insurance has began to frighten me, first it was the news of some share added to cornerstone to make it bloated out of value, then this from UNIC?

I think I better start shedding weight there.

Who don get todays result abeg.

Expect more abracadabra from the insurance companies. NEM will be the most surprising!!!!!!!! I think WAPIC to me is teh best out there for now. All the others ahve many things to hide!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 4:23pm On Jan 15, 2008
phew I almost bought UNIC end of Dec, but really this isnt good at least for now. The insurance sector is like a cascade, if UNIC falls, the rest of them all fall down together, lets see how low the prices will go,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 4:24pm On Jan 15, 2008
the best insurance on your investment for now, is to stay out of insurance coys,
untill the air is quite clear.

anybody seen todays result?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:28pm On Jan 15, 2008
mishooo:

Please what about their recapitalization palaver ?? Hope those guys are not losing our money?

The insurance companies had not received the Recap monies by the end of Q-3. The Recap monies came around November, December but the end of Q-3 for the insurance companies is end of September.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2008
hbrednic:

the best insurance on your investment for now, is to stay out of insurance coys,
untill the air is quite clear.

anybody seen todays result?

Naijadr:

phew I almost bought UNIC end of Dec, but really this isnt good at least for now. The insurance sector is like a cascade, if UNIC falls, the rest of them all fall down together, lets see how low the prices will go,

You people are funny!!!!! Well, I have UNIC. Bought the IPO at 1.10 so no shaking.

However, people need to understand how the insurance business works!!!! A single claim can wipe off the whole profit.

That said, for UNIC in particular, I assume that the Non LIFE part is not included. Having a drop in turnover is a bit strange. UNIC still appears to be more transparent than the other insurance companies.

BTW, hope people are aware that NGC is seriously exposed to UNIC!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:33pm On Jan 15, 2008
Naijadr,

How u dey?. Any news from UBA Stockbrokers ?. I sent a mail to their MD (Haruna Jalo-Waziri) this morning, I believe things will change for the better very soon because I was informed that a lot of their customers are complaining about their services. Yet to hear from Vetiva.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:36pm On Jan 15, 2008
@ all is deap a gud buy at the current price?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 4:39pm On Jan 15, 2008
enurayce:

@ all is deap a good buy at the current price?

what price?
have you seen todays price?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:40pm On Jan 15, 2008
@ All,

INSURANCE STOCKS- No go area for now until the coast is clear and if you want to go there, apply the HIT and RUN method or CICO.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2008
wanaj0:

You people are funny!!!!! Well, I have UNIC. Bought the IPO at 1.10 so no shaking.

However, people need to understand how the insurance business works!!!! A single claim can wipe off the whole profit.

That said, for UNIC in particular, I assume that the Non LIFE part is not included. Having a drop in turnover is a bit strange. UNIC still appears to be more transparent than the other insurance companies.

BTW, hope people are aware that NGC is seriously exposed to UNIC!!!!

Yup here in the US insurance business is risky business, but I still like UNIC, and thanks to you I sold part of my NGC last week smiley
NGC is heavily invested in UNIC but I still dont see how UNIC results will cause NGC to fall lower than N24, but if it does, I wont be mad at all! grin

@tonyjon, still havent received confirmation for shares I sent purchase mandate for last tuesday sef, the ting don tire me
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2008
Ve visited most sites but no prices, abi them no trade today?
Maybe the market lost so much that everone went home angry refusing to post prices?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2008
@ fatherof2
When is  the best time to enter oceanic?Besides are there any available deals beta than oceanic b4 the ideal time comes?How long do u estimate this current insurance BULL?Any good deals u will recommend?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:45pm On Jan 15, 2008
@Naijadr,

Did you send it through your rep or straight to the brokers?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 4:47pm On Jan 15, 2008
invisible!:

Maybe the market lost so much that everone went home angry refusing to post prices?
grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 4:49pm On Jan 15, 2008
Today is at 4.63kobo @Deap

Is it okay to buy at less than 5naira?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2008
Today it is at 4.63kobo @Deap

Is it okay to buy at less than 5naira?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2008
invisible!:

Brokers on the floor of NSE held a meeting this morning and trading started very late. So, price list will be out later in the day.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2008
tonyjon:

@Naijadr,

Did you send it through your rep or straight to the brokers?.

Both, had 1 purchase through brokers, they didnt respond, I sent a reminder, got only a "Received" from them. They didnt deem it worthy to even construct a full sentence.
I sent a sale order through rep, still nothing, even just emailed him a reminder
Wish I had signed up for CSCS online service a long time ago, at least I would know whats going on, oh well at this point its either BGL (they are trying to negotiate the lower minimum for me) or Vetiva for me. Vetiva emailed me back this morning.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ola007(m): 4:52pm On Jan 15, 2008
invisible!:

I wonder o. abi na public holiday?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 4:55pm On Jan 15, 2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by 4wheel: 5:05pm On Jan 15, 2008
hispy99:

Price is out, check this link

http://www.trw-stockbrokers.com/services.aspx

I could only see the yesterday results on the page you quoted. I guess those of today are still pending as earlier stated by guys.

(1) (2) (3) ... (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.