Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,871 members, 7,883,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 10:20 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (823134 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2007
@ ALL

AS I OPEN MY CRYSTALL BALL I SEE BEFORE ME:

This coming Saturday will make our collective discussion come trough and we forward it down to Frank in Lagos, any body interested can hook me up on 07798830387 and i will compile all the list, TOGETHER WE SHALL RULE OUR FATHERLAND. cool cool cool. we sahll have first class knowledge of what is going on now in Nigeria stocks markets.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:21pm On Jun 22, 2007
dollyp1cute:

@easimoni
They have not sent me any daily update and as yet have not responded to my queries regarding some stock i bought from them.

Dunno if u have online access but their website has not been updated either. They are def having issues.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 2:28pm On Jun 22, 2007
Yes exactly, been checking my account online and no update either.

@All

So I bought some IPO units of oceanic through leads and although i have not got the certificates or allocation yet can i include it in the transfer form to be part of my shares to be transferred.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 4:15pm On Jun 22, 2007
pls,
i ask again who has got their oceanic bank certificates

and who knows for sure if the DG of the stock exchange will be in london tomorrow,

pls, a brother needs this questions ( esp. no2) answered ASAP

pls, pls
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 4:47pm On Jun 22, 2007
@Tmoni
If you are talking about the IPO concluded in April then I think you should be asking that question in September at the least if IBTC's history is anything to go about.

Yes we need to know before wasting precious time going to a no show event.

Bigboy Larry, where did you get your information.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 5:01pm On Jun 22, 2007
i have been to their website and i can see the event will really occur tomorow,
but i have been calling them for the past 15mins and dropped like 2 messages,

would really love to know if the DG would be there and if i can get to meet her,
thats a critical sucess factor for shelling out bout 150 quid for the journey,

pls, i still await anybody that has concrte news on the ARRIVAL of the DG

thanks all
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:04pm On Jun 22, 2007
dollyp1cute:

@easimoni
They have not sent me any daily update and as yet have not responded to my queries regarding some stock i bought from them.

@All
Which bank is FSDH linked to, I want to transfer to them?

FSDH has strong links with UBA
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:15pm On Jun 22, 2007
dollyp1cute:

@All
Which bank is FSDH linked to, I want to transfer to them?

@ dollyp1cute,

I just got the following email from FSDH (not a client but I like their daily reports):

Dear Valued Customers,

Within the FSDH group we are faced with an increased incidence of clients paying cheques/cash into our various bank accounts (at IBTC-Chartered Plc, Skye Bank Plc and GTBank Plc) without informing anyone in the FSDH group of such lodgments. This situation is creating an increase in reconciliation problems.

If you have made such a payment in the past, please contact any member of the FSDH Group with a copy of the relevant bank teller. This will enable us to ensure that your account or investment can be appropriately credited with the proceeds which may still be outstanding.

Going forward, please ensure when you make a payment directly into any of the FSDH Group accounts that;

1. The document/teller you complete at the bank bears the name in which your account/investment is registered with us (rather than the name of the person sent to the bank to make the lodgment) and

2. You contact your counter party in the FSDH Group to advise that the payment has been made and forward a copy of the relevant bank teller.

We would greatly appreciate your compliance with this procedure as it will enable us to serve you, our valued clients, better.

Best Regards.

MANAGEMENT
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:50pm On Jun 22, 2007
@ All,
On page 41 of this thread, I posted an article about the drop of Ashaka Cement and inlcuded a link to a proshare article where some analyst "predicted" (in hindsight) that the downward trend was obvious.

Anyway, I bring it up because Ashaka's FY result was released today and earnings are down 24%. The EPS is now 2.31 and PE is 35. For some reason, the price still rose 5% today. I think that downward trend from 2 weeks ago was due to some insiders privy to the results dumping some shares.

Thank God I bough WAPCO instead, but I'm beginning to doubt the Cement thing. Too many companies!

Does anyone know why Ashaka's earnings dropped and should we be worried about all the Cement companies (esp. with one eye on Obajana)?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:38pm On Jun 22, 2007
Oh, and kudos to you analysts who recommended May & Baker on this and other threads. 108% increase in PAT. (and the price dropped, what's going on in that market?) I'll see if my broker can lay his hands on some.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 10:14pm On Jun 22, 2007
@Tmoni and ALL:

AS I OPEN MY CRYSTALL BALL I SEE:

Dr (Mrs) Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke
Director General-The Nigeria Stock Exchange

Informations emanating from my crystall ball indicating she will be there,so we needs loads of questions to hammer her, if any one has question she will pass down kindly let us know on this thread latest before 10:00am 2morrow. i spoke with ADEBISI and she assured me that she will be there live. cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 10:25am On Jun 23, 2007
@ ALL

Can somebody shead more light on this info: Skye shelter fund goes public, offers 80 per cent dividend

SKYE Bank Plc has concluded arrangements for the public Offer of N2 billion Skye Shelter Fund (SSF) with a promise of 80 per cent of realised income to be paid out yearly as dividend.
cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 7:10pm On Jun 23, 2007
@ easimoni and Frank

How do i use EPS,DPS,PE and others to determine the value,price,and worthiness of a stock before buying,selling or otherwise.Opinion of all others will be greatly appreciated
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:40pm On Jun 23, 2007
enurayce:

@ easimoni and Frank

How do i use EPS,DPS,PE and others to determine the value,price,and worthiness of a stock before buying,selling or otherwise.Opinion of all others will be greatly appreciated

http://www.investopedia.com/categories/acronyms.asp

Use this link to search for all the terms you mention. Definitions and advice are all there. You should also search for the article on fundamental analysis. It will help you use those ratios to determine current and future values of a share.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ferugio(m): 6:05am On Jun 24, 2007
@bigboylary

[/code] Can somebody shed more light on this info: Skye shelter fund  goes public, offers 80 per cent dividend [code]

Checkout this link for an article about the SSF. It will open on the 28/06 till the 6 Aug. 

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/business/article06.

It sounds juicy based on the article but will dissect the offer as soon as the prospectus is out.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tundysho(m): 2:27pm On Jun 24, 2007
@EASIMONI

I believe easimoni will be in a good position to help out in answering this question,or any other person could pls help

i orderd my stock brocker to help me buy some shares at some specific rates but he he ended buying them a wayt higher cost which has put me int o credit to the tune of almost 70k,pls is there any way i can know the actual price he bought these shares for me, cos on each transactions there is a transaction code.Could there be anyway i could use these codes to check if he actually bought them at the price he said he bought them,cos am having a feeling these people are ripping me off
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 2:46pm On Jun 24, 2007
easimoni:

Oh, and kudos to you analysts who recommended May & Baker on this and other threads. 108% increase in PAT. (and the price dropped, what's going on in that market?) I'll see if my broker can lay his hands on some.

Yes, May and Baker had a 108% increase in PAT but what you did not take into consideration was that they missed their profit and dividend forecast as contained in the PO prospectus. Profit was to be in the N400m range. Dividend was to be 35k

Would advice that you allow the share to bottom out then buy. The prospect looks good for as long as NAFDAC is still in operation. Hopefully by 2008, the benefit of the investment in the Bio Vaccine factory should become evident.

easimoni:

@ All,
On page 41 of this thread, I posted an article about the drop of Ashaka Cement and inlcuded a link to a proshare article where some analyst "predicted" (in hindsight) that the downward trend was obvious.

Anyway, I bring it up because Ashaka's FY result was released today and earnings are down 24%. The EPS is now 2.31 and PE is 35. For some reason, the price still rose 5% today. I think that downward trend from 2 weeks ago was due to some insiders privy to the results dumping some shares.

Thank God I bough WAPCO instead, but I'm beginning to doubt the Cement thing. Too many companies!

Does anyone know why Ashaka's earnings dropped and should we be worried about all the Cement companies (esp. with one eye on Obajana)?

Price rose because of the dividend 150k and 1 for 6 bonus. Ashaka has a lot of cash in its reserves so is able to make dividend paymen t even if it makes a loss. My major concern is lack of any expansion plan. There was talk of a 20% expansion plan. For a while ASHAKA has not being growing its sales. Turnover was only increasing slightly due to price increases. Actually, volumes was on the decline.

WAPCO holds the best value out of all the cement companies. However, with no bonus in sight, I do not expect such huge capital gain. Moreover, WAPCO does not seem to qualify as a stock that the PFA's can invest in.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tundysho(m): 3:51pm On Jun 24, 2007
easimoni i see u re online

easimoni u re realy giving very good and informative advices here,may God reward you ultimately

Just a quick one.u gave a link to someone on this link i.e cashcraft.com. to check price movement of quoted companies over a period.please the prices stated there represent what?.Is it the opening price,average price or closing for price for each particular day.i want to check if my brockers are ripping me or not
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2007
@ tundysho,

the prices on cashcraft are most likely the closing prices. For opening, closing, high and low, try Zenith securities

http://www.zenithsecuritiesng.com/marketanalysis.php

Instead of Gainers/Losers, choose "pricelist" instead. You can look at the day they bought your stock. If they bought above the high for the day, there's your proof. If not, you can't always expect them to buy at the low of the day, you'll just have to live with the price they get your orders.

I wonder whatever happened to TRADE ALERT.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 2:10am On Jun 25, 2007
wanaj0:

Price rose because of the dividend 150k and 1 for 6 bonus. Ashaka has a lot of cash in its reserves so is able to make dividend paymen t even if it makes a loss. My major concern is lack of any expansion plan. There was talk of a 20% expansion plan. For a while ASHAKA has not being growing its sales. Turnover was only increasing slightly due to price increases. Actually, volumes was on the decline.

I did not invest in Ashaka, but for those who did, now would be the perfect time to start thinking of selling. For a company that's not expanding and in whose market more competitors with deep pockets are entering (think flour mills and obajana and I also read of a greek company -- don't remember their name now -- thinking of entering that cement manufacturing space), I think their market share is seriously threatened. Unless they have solid plans to expand in the really near future, I expect their performance would deteriorate over the near term. Selling when the price peaks (i.e. before being marked down for bonus and dividend) would be a good deal, as the price rise might continue due to bonus sentiments.

The bonus shares will increase the number of shares outstanding. This means that even if they maintain Profit at the current level, earnings per share would be lower. However in a situation where profit is already dipping, it's an even worse state of affairs. So please get out before you get stuck and start biting your fingers . . . (unless of course the company comes out with some solid plan to stay competitive in the new dispensation)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by otokx(m): 4:01am On Jun 25, 2007
@Tundysho

Which Stock broking firm do you patronize?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:09am On Jun 25, 2007
windywendy:

I did not invest in Ashaka, but for those who did, now would be the perfect time to start thinking of selling. For a company that's not expanding and in whose market more competitors with deep pockets are entering (think flour mills and obajana and I also read of a greek company -- don't remember their name now -- thinking of entering that cement manufacturing space), I think their market share is seriously threatened. Unless they have solid plans to expand in the really near future, I expect their performance would deteriorate over the near term. Selling when the price peaks (i.e. before being marked down for bonus and dividend) would be a good deal, as the price rise might continue due to bonus sentiments.

The bonus shares will increase the number of shares outstanding. This means that even if they maintain Profit at the current level, earnings per share would be lower. However in a situation where profit is already dipping, it's an even worse state of affairs. So please get out before you get stuck and start biting your fingers . . . (unless of course the company comes out with some solid plan to stay competitive in the new dispensation)

Well, there are other alternatives. There are rumours that Lafarge will merge WAPCO and Ashaka together. There are rumours of a 20% expansion plan.

There are two things that still make Ashaka attractive. One is the huge cash reserve. There interest income for 2005 was like N1Bn!!!! That means funds to fund any expansion plan will not be a problem.

Secondly, they seem to ahve the cheapest source of energy in coal. Remember that energy is the greatest cost contributor in cement production.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 3:35pm On Jun 25, 2007
@ wanaj0: are you sure about the merger rumors (anyways, you've said they're rumors . . .). It does sound interesting! So what will the new company be called and which one will remain quoted? Also, is the 20% expansion for the merged company or just for ashaka?

About the cash reserves, N1b does not sound like a lot of money for a very capital intensive business like cement manufacturing. That's less than $8m. Can it really finance any major expansion?

As per the energy source, remember that obajana generates its own source of energy. Is Ashaka's cheaper than obajana's? Also assuming the coal is a cost advantage, then why did profit dip in FY2006 even though turnover increased?

If you have answers to the above questions pls share, i'll also be taking a close look at ashaka to see if it'll make an interesting investment.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 10:26pm On Jun 25, 2007
HI peeps,
Pls i need this info urgently. Is dangote sugar shares certificate out. pls respond
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by senetee(m): 8:49am On Jun 26, 2007
Hey good people,
I have benefitted from this thread immensely, i can only wish you all of Gods blessings for the information you all provide.

On stockbrokers, who is better in terms of customer care, speed of transactions, expertise or any other factor? Lead Capital or Afrinvest. They both want 500k min for brokerage.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:56am On Jun 26, 2007
windywendy:

@ wanaj0: are you sure about the merger rumors (anyways, you've said they're rumors . . .). It does sound interesting! So what will the new company be called and which one will remain quoted? Also, is the 20% expansion for the merged company or just for ashaka?

About the cash reserves, N1b does not sound like a lot of money for a very capital intensive business like cement manufacturing. That's less than $8m. Can it really finance any major expansion?

As per the energy source, remember that obajana generates its own source of energy. Is Ashaka's cheaper than obajana's? Also assuming the coal is a cost advantage, then why did profit dip in FY2006 even though turnover increased?

If you have answers to the above questions please share, i'll also be taking a close look at ashaka to see if it'll make an interesting investment.

Na rumour so you can never be sure. It sounds plausible though. WAPCo is now Lafarge WAPCo. They can do the same with Ashaka and combine their businesses. Then Lafarge will be the one quoted I assume.

Obajana uses gas. Ashaka uses coal. Coal is cheaper than gas.

As per the cash reserves, N1bn was only the interest income!!!!!! At a conservative 10% interest rate that is about N10bn cash!!!!!! That's not small money.

Not seeing there full report so cannot explain why the profit dropped. A number of things can be responsible. Pension fund liability? Deferred tax payment? Major capital investment for expansion etc. So until the details are out, it will be too early to make a final call.

What I know however is that in terms of competition, Ashaka is not well placed due to limited capacity.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 1:51pm On Jun 26, 2007
wanaj0:

Na rumour so you can never be sure. It sounds plausible though. WAPCo is now Lafarge WAPCo. They can do the same with Ashaka and combine their businesses. Then Lafarge will be the one quoted I assume.

Obajana uses gas. Ashaka uses coal. Coal is cheaper than gas.

As per the cash reserves, N1bn was only the interest income!!!!!! At a conservative 10% interest rate that is about N10bn cash!!!!!! That's not small money.

Not seeing there full report so cannot explain why the profit dropped. A number of things can be responsible. Pension fund liability? Deferred tax payment? Major capital investment for expansion etc. So until the details are out, it will be too early to make a final call.

What I know however is that in terms of competition, Ashaka is not well placed due to limited capacity.

Thanks Wanaj0, this is good info. You're right, N10b cash is a lot of money. One wonders however why they would be sitting on that kind of money instead of putting it to work for them, especially with a lot of competition entering their space.

Didn't know that wapco is now Lafarge wapco.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ribaman(m): 2:16pm On Jun 26, 2007
@ All the Gurus
I don't trust my brokerage firm {which is no news to a lot of us here, I suppose sad }, they sold a few items for me recently. I am incapable of doing accurate maths myself { I now see why I should have listened to my Maths teacher years ago cry }, but have the sneaky feeling that the figures don't add up.
Pls can any one help with the following

10k units of FBN stock sold @ 40.40 on the 25/05/2007
9k units of Ashaka stock sold @ 80.5 on the 31/05/2007
20k of Ecobank stock sold @ 8.47 on the 31/05/2007

The question here is what would have been the individual balance for each of the stocks after deduction of all sundry fees? I might look stupid because of this post, but I need to be reassured else the firm and myself might be visiting the SEC/ NSE disciplinary commitees embarassed.

Kind thanks, in anticipation, to all who offer me their help
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:27pm On Jun 26, 2007
windywendy:

Thanks Wanaj0, this is good info. You're right, N10b cash is a lot of money. One wonders however why they would be sitting on that kind of money instead of putting it to work for them, especially with a lot of competition entering their space.

Didn't know that wapco is now Lafarge wapco.

There was actually a time that Ashaka declared dividend of 232k per share. The explanation then was because of the huge reserves and devaluation of Naira may erode the value. CAP PLC also paid special dvidend this year of 200k per share.

My beef with Ashaka is always why don't you use the money for expansion instead of putting it in intesret bearing account. You hardly hear ashaking doing any offer just because of this huge reserve. I know at a point they drew down on the reserve for e new kiln or something of that nature.

http://www.lafargewapco.com/

That shows you the change by Wapco. No website yet for Ashaka.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 9:27pm On Jun 26, 2007
This are the latest news about these 2 company, don't know if its of use to any one of you.

MAY & BAKER NIGERIA PLC: The Audited results for the year ended 31st December 2006 show Turnover of
N2.25billion compared with N1.99billion in 2005. Profits after tax stood at N211.47million as against the
N101.76Million in 2005 translating to 107.8% increase. A dividend of N0.30/share was recommended by the Directors. The Closure date of Register for members is 24th July 2007. While payment date would be reported later.

ASHAKA CEM PLC: The year ended December 31, 2006, Audited results for Ashaka Cement Plc show a Turnover of N16.77billion compared with N15.82billion in 2005. N3.38billion was declared as Profit After Tax as against N4.43billion in 2005. A dividend of N1.50kobo per share and a bonus of 1 for 6 were recommended by the Directors. This translates to over 17% returns on investment at share price of N80.92 as at close price on Friday, 22nd June, 2006. The Closure date of Register of members is 23rd July 2007, while payment date is 9th August 2007.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oyibommm: 10:28pm On Jun 26, 2007
any news on sterling bank , hear some major international bank is looking at moping up some of their stock on the trading floor ?? plus their mid year results coming out should take this stock up to N13-15 ??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 11:24pm On Jun 26, 2007
WEMA Bank shares kept flunctuating from one fig to the other.

May be in 5 years it might clock 200+

And as for the people who has sold  their DangSugar you must be dancing by now. Due to the present state of the economy their market is drifting slowly.

I believe it will improve soon.

What do you guys think about this new new new?

FOOTWEAR
FOOTWEAR 0.86 0.04 0.86 0.86 39,483
LENNARDS 0.61 0 0.61 0.61 2,683

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.