Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,576 members, 7,941,177 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 07:29 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (832641 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tellmemore(m): 3:26pm On Jul 19, 2007
With this whole lashing of cashcraft who are currently processing my CSCS which stock broker do I now use for long and short term trade. I don't have 20 MIIIIIILLION to give companies like Zenith to trade. Also I think someone had a CSCS form attachment sometime ago where and who was it? I currently have stock I want to trade so I can get a front seat position for the others coming.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by savie96(m): 4:32pm On Jul 19, 2007
am happy about this forum, a million thanks to Seun and all the contributors.

Actually, I don't  have a good idea about the share/stock business. But hv a great interest in it . Please can someone explain in more details to me as a beginner, how to start? How do I know or calculate my profit in it. What is the minimum and maximum number of shares to buy. or amount someone can start with? How do I know when there is a good offer to invest in? Do they sell and make gain on the shares on daily basis?

Please can someome help me? My personal contact is write2aidee@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 5:07pm On Jul 19, 2007
am happy about this forum, a million thanks to Seun and all the contributors.

Actually, I don't have a good idea about the share/stock business. But hv a great interest in it . Please can someone explain in more details to me as a beginner, how to start? How do I know or calculate my profit in it. What is the minimum and maximum number of shares to buy. or amount someone can start with? How do I know when there is a good offer to invest in? Do they sell and make gain on the shares on daily basis?
Savie96,
I'm also new to stock trading,
I had a lot of questions in mind like everyone new has in a new environment. Most ready made answers can be confusing.
A good way to start finding answers is to look at the stock listing in newspapers and see the performances or lack of it there. And then keep watching with every passing day and note changes, i.e, price fluctuation. Ask yourself questions like, what are the factors that influence the behavior of stocks, why is a company rated higher or lower than another when they are both doing the same business? and if a company in the same business (sector) has risen so high, is it at it's peak? do the ones below have potential to rise and catch up etc
Make no mistake about it, those figures you read in the papers are speaking if you can figure it out what.
Another approach is to read through all of the discussions that have gone on through this thread. It's like reading an FAQ.
I'm sure you will find enough testimonies to fire up your passion.
I am figuring out the language of stock trading quickly, swiftly and intuitively.
And then, you must develop a strategy for investment,i.e, short term, mid term or long term.
And don't make a habit of calling anyone a guru. Judge everyone on the basis of each post. Some gurus sometimes come up with analysis that have more holes than my gran ma's dentition.
Best wishes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 19, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jul 19, 2007
ALSO INCLUDED IN THE ZIP FILE ABOVE IS THE NEW APPLICATION FORM FOR THE GTB GDR OFFER AND THE PARTICULARS OF THE OFFERS

READ THROUGH WELL AND MAKE YOUR DECISIONS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 6:18pm On Jul 19, 2007
EMMAACHILE:

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW IBTC 2ND QTR REPORT

http://www.wikifortio.com/469077/IBTC+Stockwatch+2nd+Quarter+Review+2007.pdf.zip

Thanks cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 9:49pm On Jul 19, 2007
@ ALL,

[b]Foreign investors to inject N13-trn into Nigerian banks[/b]

Foreign investors are set to back up their increasing interest in Nigeria’s banking sector with an injection of N13- trillion ($100-billion) into the sector over the next five years.

Mark Nicholas Cutis, chief investment officer, Shinsei Bank Limited, and Gavin N. Ryan, partner, Wider Europe Capital Management (WECM), disclosed this exclusively to Business Day at a meeting to kick off a training conference on building world-class Nigerian banks. The two are among representatives of various foreign banks like UBS of Switzerland, Nedbank of South Africa and Barclays of London, who are here for the conference.

Source: http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=2645

Was this the reason why some banks are been funny and playing funny now!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lokia(m): 12:24pm On Jul 20, 2007
hello everyone i am new to this site, i have read some of the posting and i am quite impressed keep up the good work.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 12:48pm On Jul 20, 2007
"Now this is what we are talking about"

SEC WARNS FIRMS OVER DELAY OF SHARE CERTIFICATE

Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has[b] threatened to sanction any capital market operator who delays issuance of share certificates of shareholders after the commission[/b] has approved the basis of allotment o any offers. Mr Lanre Oloyi, head of media relations of the capital market regulatory agency, said yesterday that the sanction has become imperative to ensure that investors’ confidence is sustained in the market. Often, some company registrars or even companies that issued shares delay the release of share certificates for several months, thus denying subscribers the opportunity to sell the shares if they wish to. This kind of situation frustrates subscribers especially those who have urgent need to sell and have cash to attend to some other needs. Oloyi said SEC is appealing to all operators responsible for issuance of shares certificate in the market to be alive to their responsibilities so that whatever caused the delay were rectified. Fin. Std., front page

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2007
Good one , do u have any link to the news please ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 2:58pm On Jul 20, 2007
Nope you have to get the newspaper (financial standard front page)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 3:03pm On Jul 20, 2007
well i wont comment on this news untill i read it .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2007
egoldman:

well i wont comment on this news untill i read it .
Well i will put you out of your misery egoldman, enjoy ----------------->http://www.financialstandardnews.com/news_page.asp?id=24
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2007
@Roughcut, thanks I was only sent just a snippet of the news but talking of corruption and the shambles

"He said the commission would not tolerate any sharp practices in the capital market, adding that Sec had recently sanctioned some operators who defrauded investors in the market.
Oloyi said the commission did not think such issues should be brought to the notice of members of the public because of the sensitive nature of the capital market and the need to sustain investors’ interest in the market, especially now that it (stock market) has begun to attract foreign investors"

Well at least we are trying to put our house in order.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:48pm On Jul 20, 2007
well as long the errant capital market operator(s) have been sanctioned and everyone who may be tempted knows that SEC will not hesitate to weild the big stick. I think the SEC has handled the anomaly as correctly as possibe since we dont want our foreign investors to get the jitters
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 3:56pm On Jul 20, 2007
Now guys something that has been a worry for a while now, it looks to me like coming to the capital market to raise funds  has more or less become the exclusive preserve of these megabanks because of the mouth-watering profits they are declaring and the fat dividend warrants they are sending through the post to investors this has made it virtually impossible for other companies in other sectors of the economy to raise funds in the primary or secondary markets. Already the MAN have started complaining and dont forget that the economy also needs the other sectors of the economy to develop this can only happen if they can raise needed capitalt from the capital market

Or sholud we move this discourse to another thread? Let me have your contributions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 5:52pm On Jul 20, 2007
if i remember basic investment descions,

i was taught that it is cheaper for organisations to procure funds through debt than equity,although its more risk added to the shareholders

with the recapitalisation, other sectors of the economy can go about borrowing money to serve their expansion needs and shore up their working capital, e.g is the 2billion pound "share buy back" that is recently in the works for BT (BRITISH TELECOM).

These other sectors also do not have to grapple with the issuance of new stock, advertisement et al. , it could be a silent background collateral and loan process

hope i make some sense,

PS-- on www.punchng.com today, the stock price for ACCESS bank is lower than the suspension rate of N19.32,
is there anything in the works?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 9:56am On Jul 21, 2007
@Tmoni nope not really.

I understand the bit about debt rather than equity though.

Where did you get the info on BT sharebuy back.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bioye(m): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2007

@bioye
If you were me, where would you go?

@Iwerebor
Hmm.  At the moment, the only help I can offer includes the following:
1.  Visit the following pages on this thread where some stockbrokers have been suggested: page 11, page 20, and page 39

2.  Personally, I used Afrinvest (formerly Sectrust) with a lot of satisfaction.  I registered with them 2 years ago.  Then they required N500,000 to open an account but the guy I spoke with was nice enough to allow something lesser.  They are highly professional and I would advise you call(01-2701680-cool or email(sales@afrinvestwa.com) them for more enquiry.  Their website is http://www.afrinvestwa.com

3.  If you have the time, you could check out Stockbroker websites for more information at Nigerian Stockbrokers and Stockbrokers in Nigeria
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 22, 2007
INSURANCE STOCK TO WATCH

Standard Alliance to operate as one-stop financial supermarket

Standard Alliance Insurance plc says the company has created six subsidiaries that will transform the underwriting firm into a one-stop financial supermarket.
This development is in line with the company’s post-consolidation blue-print and plans to ensure enhanced market share and profitability.
Analysts opine that Standard Alliance has good standing in the insurance sector in Non- life and Life insurance businesses (evidenced by its acquisition of Standard Life Assurance). Industry experts also speculate that the company’s income stream will continue to increase. This is expected as the company plays a dominant role as an insurer to companies in the oil and gas industry. The Federal Government regulation of increased local content from five per cent to 40 per cent presents a good opportunity for the company. Standard Alliance has also recently signed a contract with the NNPC to provide insurance services. Market speculation has it that the company is in talks with a foreign investor that will provide capital to enable the company take advantage of emerging opportunities.
The firm has since received two licenses from the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), now under the trade names SA Insuraance, for the general business and SA Life, for the life insurance business. Other subsidiaries in the Standard Alliance Group include SA Money, an investment and capital management company, SA Mortgage, which will provide various financial services to support the mortgage industry, SA Property, to handle property management and SA Pensions, expected to operate pension management transactions.
"We are offering high quality service delivery that will be difficult for any indigenous competitor to beat. The company places high premium on its human capital development and has consistently organised training for its workforce locally and internationally, leveraging on its foreign technical partnerships with the target of increasing its staffing to about 5,000 field officers, who will take insurance to the door-step of ordinary Nigerians through its 21 business offices and 90 outlets nationwide while opening regional offices in the far North and down Southern Nigeria," he said.
Following the consolidation exercise, Standard Alliance Insurance plc is now backed by Shareholders funds in excess of N5.4-billion, and has in the last 10 years grown its in its gross premium by 1,200 percent, total asset by 1,678 percent and shareholders funds by 1,489 percent respectively.
In a bid to straighten its operational capacity and as a key player in the emerging insurance circle, the company approved by the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), acquired the life portfolio of Gateway Assurance Company Limited and has also gone ahead to fully acquire Perpetual Assurance Company Limited prior to the end of the recapitalization exercise. The company is still talking with a number of Nigerian insurance companies for possible acquisition.
The company expanded its business beyond the shores of Nigeria by taking over 3 Ghanaian companies and a strategic alliance with NBC Holdings, a leading pension funds administration company in South Africa- with over 17-billion Rand (about N350-billion under management).
Standard Alliance recently won the 29th edition of the Presidential Merit Award of the Nigerian Stock Exchange and was rated "A" with 147 percent international solvency ratio by the international financial institutions assessor-Global Credit Rating(GCR) for assessment.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:03am On Jul 23, 2007
Tmoni:

if i remember basic investment descions,

i was taught that it is cheaper for organisations to procure funds through debt than equity,although its more risk added to the shareholders

with the recapitalisation, other sectors of the economy can go about borrowing money to serve their expansion needs and shore up their working capital, e.g is the 2billion pound "share buy back" that is recently in the works for BT (BRITISH TELECOM).

These other sectors also do not have to grapple with the issuance of new stock, advertisement et al. , it could be a silent background collateral and loan process

hope i make some sense,

PS-- on www.punchng.com today, the stock price for ACCESS bank is lower than the suspension rate of N19.32,
is there anything in the works?

In a stable interest rate environment that might be an option the moment inflation rate rises that is the interest rate gone up but does it make sense for a company to borrow billions of naira from the banking system when for a small equity and in most cases the authorised share capital of these companies are not fully subscribed they can riase the billions needed have you thought of how much proportion of their operating profit will be used to service these debts and you agree with me that does not look good for the balance sheet either!

Access share price has been adjusted for dividend payment of 40 kobo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 8:49am On Jul 23, 2007
hey guys, which stock is hot presently?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 9:04am On Jul 23, 2007
Hey house, Access bank PO is out at 14.9. For me the decision to invest is not as easy as buying the PO of First Bank. Though the offer is at a discount of 21%, I personally have some issues. However, I would think it's better to study the prospectus first, before making further comments.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by atilla(m): 2:10pm On Jul 23, 2007
Yeah access bank is out as of today.

Minimum shares you can purchase is 1000 a@ 14.90 = N14,900
you can purchase more in multiples of 100.

Please contact me on adepemiatilade@citiinvestcap.com if you want to buy shares.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ccaramel(f): 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2007
Is any options trader in the house? Or does anybody have info on stock options in Nigeria? Thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2007
ccaramel:

Is any options trader in the house? Or does anybody have info on stock options in Nigeria? Thx
The Nigerian market does not have options trading for now. The only form of derivative trading done for now is the trading in rights amd real estate investment trusts ( which Skye bank is pioneering
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 6:22am On Jul 24, 2007
@roughcut and dollyp1cute

guess, theres a flip side to everything,

thanks for the info on the dividend adjustment,

do u guys sincerly think there will be a bull run when the technical suspension is lifted off ACCESS BANK?
HONEST ANS PLS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Mu(m): 9:33am On Jul 24, 2007
Yes.

I seriously think that the pattern for Access Bank will be similar to that of Oceanic. A great deal of buy pressure will come from our brothers (and sisters) purchasing (penny stocks) with the $. I gather that Access is facilitating payments using VISA debit/credit cards. A few of my peeps in Yankee have already started calling me to ask whether they should buy. That happened for FirstBank and Transcorp. Shows me which companies are advertising abroad.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 10:46am On Jul 24, 2007
@All
Does anyone have any idea when First Bank's technical suspension will be lifted?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:44pm On Jul 24, 2007
@ Tmoni,
THERE WILL BE A BULL RUN! Access has been on bid for the last 2 weeks: more buyers than sellers. This inspite of the coming PO. No brainer that there'll be a bull run.

@ Iwerebor, First bank should take a while. Oceanic and UBA got lifted ~2 months after the offers closed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:07pm On Jul 24, 2007
@ oneshola1,

did your other account get blocked by Mr Osewa or are you plugging your (still awful) website hoping no one notices your name change?

Leave us alone!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijaking1: 4:42pm On Jul 24, 2007
@easimoni, et al

Do you know when the UBA cetificates will be out? and First bank too?

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.