Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,785 members, 7,882,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:23 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (823112 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2007
Vitastraka:

Bonuses do amount to free money if the share prices increaser above the split equivalent. Thus if a 10 naira share is split in 2 and each half is now selling for 7 naira, the value of the one share you had before the bonus is now 14 naira

Huh? If the N10 share becomes N14 you are up 40%. If it is split in 2 and gets to N7 (from N5), you are still up 40%. Nothing gained or lost. the only benefit is that Nigerians' (blind) love for "bonuses" will likely precipitate a bull run. In other countries, it's frowned upon because it increases stock volatility. That is why Mr Buffet has NEVER split his company stock. It doesn't add value.

I always hear "Well I bought a stock for N100 and they did a 1-for-1 and now it sells for N100 so I have one free share". If only I had n1k for everytime a co-worker said something like that. I always say "instead of 2 shares worth N100, you'd have 1 share worth N200 and you'd have a lot fewer shareholders which will make bull runs more likely as supply is scarce (see NASCON recently) and make bear runs very rare since there are fewer fickle people to dump shares". Ask yourself how many bear runs you've seen on Nestle. They won't split shares.

Not to talk of people who have waited 2+ years to get the "bonus" certificates.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 9:02pm On Jul 31, 2007
HI ALL
PLS HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE BONUS SHARES TO BE CREDITED INTO ONE'S CSCS ACCOUNT. REPLY NEEDED URGENTLY
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 9:24pm On Jul 31, 2007
Guys, so what's the general consensus about Access? Buy or wait?
What about Fidelity?
Does anyone know anything about BOC Gases and WAMCo?

Thanks!!
smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 10:24pm On Jul 31, 2007
@easimoni

What is your take on Fidelity and Japauloil? To buy on the floor or the IPO? I need not to tell you how much I hate IPO but it wont hurt to listen to advise sha!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 11:14pm On Jul 31, 2007
@ easimoni
Access now, wait for WEMA PO, or Fidelity?

'Preciate
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 11:50pm On Jul 31, 2007
@ Temmie 10
I have about 300k and I am trying to stretch it to fit Dangote Flour ( dont know when it will come out), Access bank ( on now), WEMA PO (coming up soon) and impending Japaul Oil. I am also hearing a lot about Small-cap stocks like Cornerstone insurance, Liz Olofin ( if i can get it) and Livestock feeds. If you were to choose 3 stocks out of all of them to split the money, which would you choose and in what ratio? Thanks man,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 12:00am On Aug 01, 2007
Easimoni i concur,

I think people have forgotten what happened to Access bank before they reconstructured their shares ( price wasn't moving up due to huge numbers of outstanding shares)

Huge numbers of outstanding shares makes price increase difficult.
Low numbers of outstanding shares makes prices increase easier due to low supply than demand.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 12:02am On Aug 01, 2007
HI ALL
PLS HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE BONUS SHARES TO BE CREDITED INTO ONE'S CSCS ACCOUNT. REPLY NEEDED URGENTLY
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:14am On Aug 01, 2007
jehosaphat:

@ Temmie 10
I have about 300k and I am trying to stretch it to fit Dangote Flour ( don't know when it will come out), Access bank ( on now), WEMA PO (coming up soon) and impending Japaul Oil. I am also hearing a lot about Small-cap stocks like Cornerstone insurance, Liz Olofin ( if i can get it) and Livestock feeds. If you were to choose 3 stocks out of all of them to split the money, which would you choose and in what ratio? Thanks man,

If you are trying to grow your stock. The best advise i can give you is concentration. that means concentarte on 1 or 2. concentration grows wealth, diversification preserves it.
About the stocks, my humble opinion is
1.japaul oil (because i believe it has very huge growth prospects and po for non-banks give certificate faster)
2. access (prospectus look very promising)
3. Cornerstone (price right now is good and company is growing pat very well)
4. Wema (good market forces, po coming out, rumour of foreign investor)

i dun know much about liz olofin and livestock. dangote flour too is very unknown as the prospectus is not yet out but i heard its strong, but the question is "is the compan worth 75BN naira?"
i thinkin a year;s time all 4 should have given you at least 60% returns,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 2:02am On Aug 01, 2007
@Temmie 10.

Thanks a bunch. I'll buy some of Access right now and wait for Japaul and Dangote. Judging from DSR and what Ive heard about the market share cornered by Dangote's Flour products, i think I'll wait for that. Whats ur take on Fidelity? Seems to be pulling some bad reviews,
If you dont mind my asking what shares have been your best ( including blue chips and penny stocks)?
Also, should I wait for Dunlop and Ashaka to drop some more before buying? I heard that Michelin has exited the market so I see room for Dunlop to do great things with the right management, Ashaka has a significant market share in the Cement axis so I'll own both that and Obajana and see what happens. What say you boss?
And while I'm asking questions, what else would you recommend as viable "blue chip stocks" ( apart from banking, stocks like May and baker, NBC, construction, transport, energy, Natural gas etc), With the new president doubling as Energy Minister, i expect reasonable progress and well connected energy companies might win big, do you have any in mind?

Many thanks,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:07am On Aug 01, 2007
Rob-roy:

@ easimoni
Access now, wait for WEMA PO, or Fidelity?

'Preciate

Access now if you can get it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 2:11am On Aug 01, 2007
@Easimoni,
Temmie 10 has been a wonderful tutor, can u also throw in ur 2 cents on my question concerning guidance in picking stocks? Thanks in advance,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 7:24am On Aug 01, 2007
NBA
does it mean that i can buy fidelity now and sell after the technical suspension because i no it is going to raise after the suspension

@E-jaja , this is a very good and reasonable question , i unknowingly but fortunately grin did this with firstbank , i bought it 39 naira just b4 it was placed on technical suspension and now am all smiles and the price keep appreciating .
what i would like to know if if same would also happen with fidelity bank , also i would like to know when the offer is coming out and other details like when the technical suspension would be lifted .
would like them gurus to contribute to this cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Monalisa2: 8:30am On Aug 01, 2007
Hey Friends,

Am not suppose to do this here, but its urgent.
i need help! i have a test with Oceanic Bank in 3 weeks time.
I hv not done any bank test before. so i want u to pls tell me
what and what i will be expecting, and also other necessary advice.

Thanks i will be waiting.

CC: Seun pls contribute.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jinworm: 9:04am On Aug 01, 2007
pls somebody shld give me an insight on this stock market
of a thing. i need an explicit explanation. i often c it on
papers but cannot comprehend a damn thing about.

some of the terms are brokers,opening @, closes @, and wat hav u.

pls somebody should assist.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chiegemba(f): 9:18am On Aug 01, 2007
@jinworm; am with u 2. Would b more than grateful if any1 could pls enlighten us "jjc" about it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ebos(m): 9:39am On Aug 01, 2007
I just bought first Bank Shares despite that it has closed. They are returning it now. I have a friend who is Stock Broker. N100,000 will give 3,020 shares at N33.00 per share. If you are interested just holla me and I will find out from my friend if he can still sell. First Bank Shares will rise, and it's advisable to invest there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 10:21am On Aug 01, 2007
@ Jehosaphat

We are all learning here o. Thats the purpose of this forum afterall.

i think the choices you are making will definitely make you richer.

Fidelity is not clear cut. For one thing, it is more expensive than Access. It will only be justified if they can expand faster which is very possible. i saw the investment ratios for fidelity yestada and it is not looking too eye catching in comparison to its peers. NOnetheless i have a few holdings i bought at 6 naira and i am HOLDING (jus might buy a few units of the offer too).

Ashaka still has a lot of value. The question now is price. i am carefully watching it too. You can enter now but it is a value stock so you must have at least 1 15-24 months time span i.e. its not the favourite presently.

My best stocks: Try this--Bought prestige insurance a few years ago at 20k, this year its been ranging around N7.5. There is no substitute for long term. This was a pure fluke tho. NO analysis.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hola2ng(m): 10:27am On Aug 01, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kabirat(f): 11:21am On Aug 01, 2007
Greetings to all!

I am a beginner in this ramification and would like ur advices on which stock i can invest in, either primary or secondary market.

Thank you for your contributions.

Peace smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ebos(m): 11:27am On Aug 01, 2007
@kabirat, I repeat, just bought first Bank Shares despite that it has closed. They are returning it now. I have a friend who is Stock Broker. N100,000 will give 3,020 shares at N33.00 per share. If you are interested just holla me and I will find out from my friend if he can still sell. First Bank Shares will rise, and it's advisable to invest there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 11:58am On Aug 01, 2007
Temmie10:

@ Jehosaphat

We are all learning here o. Thats the purpose of this forum afterall.

i think the choices you are making will definitely make you richer.

Fidelity is not clear cut. For one thing, it is more expensive than Access. It will only be justified if they can expand faster which is very possible. i saw the investment ratios for fidelity yestada and it is not looking too eye catching in comparison to its peers. NOnetheless i have a few holdings i bought at 6 naira and i am HOLDING (jus might buy a few units of the offer too).

Ashaka still has a lot of value. The question now is price. i am carefully watching it too. You can enter now but it is a value stock so you must have at least 1 15-24 months time span i.e. its not the favourite presently.

My best stocks: Try this--Bought prestige insurance a few years ago at 20k, this year its been ranging around N7.5. There is no substitute for long term. This was a pure fluke tho. NO analysis.

we are in a bull run so people can ride the tide and throw fundamentals to the wind. If not, fidelity will not be on my buy list.

On Ashaka, Ashaka is doing like a badly managed company. Huge cash reserves but no expansion plan. They are really a small cement company producing less than 1m tonnes. They've grown turnover based on increase in price. With Obajana and BCC entering Ashaka's catchment area then things will become a lot more difficult! WAPCO currently has more value. For risk takers, go for Ashaka.

On Dangote flour, sorry Flour Mills is the leader in that sector. Competition in the flour business is huge. So I don't expect it to be a success like DSR. Even then, DSR has only returned about 120% since November. If you bought Oceanic then on the floor, you will be talking about a better return. There is a lot of hype around teh Dangote business

BCC and NAHCO are stocks that have done extrordinarily well in recent times. Both have returned over 1,000% in the past 24 months!

Until you see the prospectus, you cannot say whether any PO is a good buy or not. One major advantage of a PO is the opportunity to BUY large units in good companies. Also, you don't pay the transaction charges.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dearstan(m): 12:01pm On Aug 01, 2007
can anyone here tell me why intercontinental bank is yet to send out certificates for its last ipo? Also can i know when oceanic, first bank would also send out their certificates.  And i would also like to know the current value of GTbanks GDR on the london stock exchange. i felt it was a rip-off,  because it was sold at $12.75  and i heard it was listed on the market as $11.20. can someone pls confirm that,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:06pm On Aug 01, 2007
@ wanajo, havent seen u on the stockmarket naija forum in a while!!! would u rather get japaul now on the floor or wait for the p.o., i expect a bull run once the suspension is lifted.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 12:11pm On Aug 01, 2007
ebos:

I just bought first Bank Shares despite that it has closed. They are returning it now. I have a friend who is Stock Broker. N100,000 will give 3,020 shares at N33.00 per share. If you are interested just holla me and I will find out from my friend if he can still sell. First Bank Shares will rise, and it's advisable to invest there.
Sir could i know how to get in touch with you about this i actually just sent you a mail now
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by swiftycool(m): 12:28pm On Aug 01, 2007
Hi everyone, ill like to start trading on my stocks. i have been buying mostly IPOs in very large quantities
in mostly outstanding companies which have been doing well till date since the past 3 years
but i havent gotten most of my certificates yet,  Pls help me out with this questions

1. If  i  employ a broker can he help me retrieve these certs from ipos
2. what are the requirements i need to meet to employ a broker.
3 Can i recieve dividends even when i havnt a stock broker
4.Which is better to trade in generally, the secondry, or primary market and why
5. what is technical suspension

Hope 2 hear 4rm u guys soon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mcfranc(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2007
penny stocks
Can anybody tell me which penny stock that is worth investing in?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cutebabe: 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2007
jinworm:

please somebody shld give me an insight on this stock market
of a thing. i need an explicit explanation. i often c it on
papers but cannot comprehend a damn thing about.

some of the terms are brokers,opening @, closes @, and what hav u.

please somebody should assist.

chiegemba:

@jinworm; am with you to. Would b more than grateful if anyone could please enlighten us "jjc" about it.

@jinworm and chiegemba
TRY READING GOING THROUGH THIS THREAD FROM START TO FINISH I AM SURE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW IS ALREADY ON THERE, INFACT YOU CAN BECOME A GURU JUST BY DOING THAT grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nossycheek(f): 3:28pm On Aug 01, 2007
from ebos

How is this possible
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nossycheek(f): 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2007
NBA
Yes through cross trading. I bought a few before the technical suspension for the same speculative reason.

My broker doesn't seem to be able to get me shares when they are on technical suspension. Should I try another broker?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ebos(m): 3:52pm On Aug 01, 2007
nossycheek:

from ebos
How is this possible

You know, I'm not a Broker but I know everything about Share, the dealers like Bull, Bear and Stag, and that is all I know and nothing more. My friend is a Broker and a close Brother of mine works in the Stock Exchange. This my friend called and encouraged me to buy First Bank Shares, according to him they have not returned all the forms filled by the Investors. What he did was to get a form which I filled, and I saw many other forms filled by so many Investors and were ready for returning. This was just recently, many weeks after it has been closed. I then paid my money into his account. He's a trusted friend - 99% trust I have in him. That's the possibility.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aikyg(m): 5:10pm On Aug 01, 2007
I think anybody who wants to feel the trends in the Naija stock Exchange should take a look at http://www.smartinvestorafrica.com
The owner is Mr Afam Edozie; the MTN guy. The interesting thing is that he left MTN to start Smart Investor. What does that tell you? Investing in stocks, mutual funds, real estates and the like is the next best thing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.