Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,869 members, 7,899,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 07:26 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (826344 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 2:16pm On Mar 05, 2008
outlaws:

cool

Is kind of hard to make good money with stock if you don’t have good money 

The problem is not about good money but the fact that you are busy doing something no matter how little like what Napoleon Hill says:         

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 2:17pm On Mar 05, 2008
Please AKT and Roughcutgold,

Where is Guarantee heading to? It closed at  N40 today.

Topgun biko, shine your candle there. Someone said it will be gaining N2 more but it has surpassed that.
Make I hold on or take my small profit?
Una do well
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 2:18pm On Mar 05, 2008
@crazyt
both are candidates esp given the current movement of transexpr,
it would have been better to see where it settles,
i think it still has some more weight to shed
but if u get liver:hop on.
No fundamentals for both companies though.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:21pm On Mar 05, 2008
mecatchcha:

@Mr. Risky,

Just bought them all few weeks back. Had the intention of doing CICO/20% profit, then bail out. They are all at a loss now.

Well if you have sustained a loss no point selling then you are better off waiting! Pls read my post again i assumed you have made a profit on those stocks since you didnt mention the entry price.

I dont know about the insurance stocks you bought though but for the other stocks you will just have to wait it out!

Refer to my earlier post again!
RoughCut:

UBA -Hold in the medium term even if you take profit now i'm assuming you are up on this one . Good for medium-long term No shaking on that one

Diamond bank-Been marching time for a while now so you can offload and go for Oceanic and/or Skye if you can get it for medium term Oceanic is ok at current price but don't forget its got about 19B shares listed.

Japaul Oil-Fundamentals shot to pieces PE around 70 not what i want to get into now. I bought the stock shed loads of it last year and i'm out of that one now. The only reason i can think of an upside for this one is the rumour of bonus because FYE is March but that would be suicidal considering the fact they will be listing the billions of shares from the PO and the supplementary listing to absorb the over-subscription instead of returning money. If you have made a profit i think you need to dump this one!

As per insurance its a minefield but UNIC is looking attractive though

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:27pm On Mar 05, 2008
faketan:

Please AKT and Roughcutgold,

Where is Guarantee heading to? It closed at N40 today.

Topgun biko, shine your candle there. Someone said it will be gaining N2 more but it has surpassed that.
Make I hold on or take my small profit?
Una do well

No need to shine candle on this one grin grin grin grin grin. FYE is February and there's strong rumour of bonus and dividend. They gave a 1 for 4 and dividend of 50K last financial year.

So the market is pricing in a repeat performance and there's no reason not to. I should have got in on the action when it was around ~N32 but analysis paralysis paralysed me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 2:28pm On Mar 05, 2008
Temmie10:

@roughcut n crazyt
i hail o,

@tommyt
what is 1000 units?, 5000 naira?
there is nothing ok about that abeg. after a while peeps will only be putting 500 naira in public offers for fear of return money.

my brother wating man go do now
the fear of over subscription is the beginning of knowledge now o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 2:36pm On Mar 05, 2008
RoughCut:

No need to shine candle on this one grin grin grin grin grin. FYE is February and there's strong rumour of bonus and dividend. They gave a 1 for 4 and dividend of 50K last financial year.

So the market is pricing in a repeat performance and there's no reason not to. I should have got in on the action when it was around ~N32 but analysis paralysis paralysed me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Thanks a lot.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 2:40pm On Mar 05, 2008
@All

Costain has now become serious blood money o the thing dey fear me well well !

In between the time marshall wanaj0 mentioned John Holt last week i think and today the thing don do  about 25% Hmnn this will be the fastest RO-RO for me i'm jumping ship by Friday grin grin grin grin grin

I no sabi wetin dey push am o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 2:46pm On Mar 05, 2008
now that transcorp is off TS, THE VOLUME SOLD IS LOWER THAN WHAT IT USED TO BE DURING THE TS.

THIS NSE SELF
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:55pm On Mar 05, 2008
lawalidowu:

now that transcorp is off TS, THE VOLUME SOLD IS LOWER THAN WHAT IT USED TO BE DURING THE TS.

THIS NSE SELF

During TS some folks were buying because they thought the reversal meant a turn-around in the fortune of the company. Someone even said if the stock had not gone on TS, it would have zoomed on to N20. So some people were piling up. Some smart people who realized there was a lot of uncertainity used the opportunity to offload after buying at less than N3 just 2 weeks before.

Well, with the return to the status quo, the positive news that was driving the price north has been reversed. Now, everybody wants to sell but there are no matching buyers. That is why the volume is low.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 3:01pm On Mar 05, 2008
Its like the name of the company has changedoooooo. It is now TRANSCURSE. Ogajuoooooooo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 3:02pm On Mar 05, 2008
@Elder Napolean, Wanajo, Pumpin or anyone, Do you guys know the issuing house for the MTI PP or any stockbroking firm with the prospectus and form? I have not been successful in sourcing for information. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:04pm On Mar 05, 2008
Now that the bears have shown some colour, I hope we can use it to our best advantage.

i know nobody is in a hurry to buy now even though now is looking like the best time to position to buy.

Scan around and start seeing some stocks that have lost more than 20% with some good fundamentals. Don't wait for the stocks to start moving north before you start chasing the train.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lumidii: 3:10pm On Mar 05, 2008
@ Pumping777

Many thanks for the quick response yesterday. You are the MAN. For all interested in MTI, Cordros Capital is one of the brokers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Panadol(m): 3:12pm On Mar 05, 2008
@Pumping,

Where can I get the Stock Screener?

pumping777:

Now that the bears have shown some colour, I hope we can use it to our best advantage.

i know nobody is in a hurry to buy now even though now is looking like the best time to position to buy.

Scan around and start seeing some stocks that have lost more than 20% with some good fundamentals. Don't wait for the stocks to start moving north before you start chasing the train.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 3:14pm On Mar 05, 2008
lumidii:

@ Pumping777

Many thanks for the quick response yesterday. You are the MAN. For all interested in MTI, Cordros Capital is one of the brokers.
Do you haopen to have a soft copy of the prospectus and what the minimum unit is?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Highlander: 3:16pm On Mar 05, 2008
pumping777:

Pumping,
Please oblige us with a few examples (of course I know a couple of stocks that have shed some weight, but good fundamentals na another issue!!!).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lumidii: 3:21pm On Mar 05, 2008
K2:

Do you haopen to have a soft copy of the prospectus and what the minimum unit is?

It is 500,000 units at N2.70 per unit. Only saw the hard-copy, but should have the soft-copy pretty soon. It will be on here soon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:28pm On Mar 05, 2008
mecatchcha:

@Aktopgun @ Windy and @All

Please All,

I have Insurance Stocks and some banks too that's been going down. Am at a loss on all of them. I need your advice. Do you know when they are likely to start gaining blood again? Or do you advice me to sell OFF all and continue ahead.

You see, you cannot sell every stock you have because it is shedding weight. You have to think it out properly. The main reason is that after selling, what is the guarantee that the stock you will buy next will not suffer the same fate?

This is the first question you have to answer. On what basis did you choose the ones that are losing and do you now have a different strategy which you believe will work when making your next choices? If you can answer this positively, then you can go ahead and sell. If not, stay put and watch the market.

UBA and Diamond are not stocks you should be looking at every day for now. They may not be heading north soon but they are not heading permanently south either.

Japaul is a lot more trickier but I predict it will still make a temporary bull run and you can at least minimize your loss. One important info you may want to get about Japaul in their authorized share capital now to see if in fact they can still accommodate a bonus.

Considering the margin between the PO price and the current price, and that fact that the PO shares don't qualify for dividends or bonus there is a perception that the share price will be diluted with a bonus. Frankly, most folks I know were piling up Japaul because of the bonus rumour but the rumour is weaker now because of this PP they were supposed to be doing for those that did not get full allocation.

I don't know if CICO always works as get in today get out next week for everybody else. It does not  always work for me that way. See how many extra weeks I had to hold on to my Bank PHB before it finally hit N32. However, it eventually did and even higher.

I picked up IEI to do CICO about 2 weeks ago. One week CICO planned but here I am with it still staring at me in my CSCS account because I did not sell with 7% net gain the first week and now it is in the red. It happens sometimes.

Don't panic when prices fall because they can rise again. Re-assess the situation and see if you have better choices out there to use the money for before you sell.

This will not always help though. I'm sure this strategy would have failed someone with Capoil that was waiting for it to stabilize. Of course, there was substansive news to suggest that this may go on a free fall. In this kind of situation you have to sell at all cost.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:32pm On Mar 05, 2008
RoughCut:

@All

Costain has now become serious blood money o  the thing dey fear me well well !

In between the time marshall wanaj0 mentioned John Holt last week i think and today the thing don do about 25% Hmnn this will be the fastest RO-RO for me i'm jumping ship by Friday grin grin grin grin grin
I no sabi wetin dey push am o!

You are on your own OOOO
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 3:33pm On Mar 05, 2008
lumidii:

It is 500,000 units at N2.70 per unit. Only saw the hard-copy, but should have the soft-copy pretty soon. It will be on here soon.
Thanks man. Will look forward to the soft copy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mecatchcha: 3:38pm On Mar 05, 2008
@RoughCut, Mr. Risky and Pumping777,

Thanks a lot for the great ifo. I feel am a lot relaxed now. Am just a starter that jumped into the NSE without getting to know the basis. I guess am learning now. Actually bought all those stocks without a strategy in mind.

How do I know when a stock is on bid judging from it's volume of sales and the number of deals?

Thanks once again.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:40pm On Mar 05, 2008
Highlander:

Pumping,
Please oblige us with a few examples (of course I know a couple of stocks that have shed some weight, but good fundamentals na another issue!!!).

I have to be fair to myself. I don't have an agbero broker like many of the folks here.

Na real ajebo I get so to announce a stock I want to enter here go hard small unless I have no plans of entering.

Make I finish first before all of you with super man brokers will block my entry with your muscle power.  grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 3:46pm On Mar 05, 2008
@Pumping777

Which one will you go for- Livestock or Transexp hope I no burst your balloon o? grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2008
pumping777:

I have to be fair to myself. I don't have an agbero broker like many of the folks here.

Na real ajebo I get so to announce a stock I want to enter here go hard small unless I have no plans of entering.

Make I finish first before all of you with super man brokers will block my entry with your muscle power.  grin grin

I saw a post that alluded to that but I'm not sure that is what the poster meant.

I think the only time you can use this to tell if a stock is on net bid is if it opened and closed at the highest price of the day and the lowest price of the day is also the highest price of the day. Aktopgun, which candlestick be that sef?

The reverse is the case for net offer.

Some will argue that if the closing price of the day is the same as the highest price of the day, this is sufficient to say the stock is on net bid but I think there are situations in which this will not be true.

A better way is to use the UBA daily stock position that is posted here for us by Naijadr and NBA. Thanks guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Highlander: 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2008
pumping777:

cool cool Fair enough! But give us some idea - and maybe one example, just one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by sweetcheek(f): 3:54pm On Mar 05, 2008
Oga pumping abeg tell us but if u no gree tell, the moment your broker gets your order abeg quick drop the news.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adeyinkat: 4:00pm On Mar 05, 2008
pumping777:

Japaul is a lot more trickier but I predict it will still make a temporary bull run and you can at least minimize your loss. One important info you may want to get about Japaul in their authorized share capital now to see if in fact they can still accommodate a bonus.

Considering the margin between the PO price and the current price, and that fact that the PO shares don't qualify for dividends or bonus there is a perception that the share price will be diluted with a bonus. Frankly, most folks I know were piling up Japaul because of the bonus rumour but the rumour is weaker now because of this PP they were supposed to be doing for those that did not get full allocation

Oga Pumping,
Kindly shed more light on the bolded portion. Is Japaul doing a PP for those that don't have 100% allocation? How will this pan out!
Thanks for a prompt response! wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:06pm On Mar 05, 2008
crazyT:

@Pumping777

Which one will you go for- Livestock or Transexp hope I no burst your balloon o? grin

Live kini?  grin If you saw my post yesterday, I adviced someone that wanted to jump on the livestock train to stay clear because profit takers will strike around N10 and we have seen it already today. Livestock does not have poor fundamentals. In my own book, it does not have any fundamentals at all.

Transexpr needs to shed some more but it is definitely in the radar. I predicted early February that this stock can make about 100% if you are ready to wait at least a year.

What did I know though. It decided to made almost 100% in about a month. I definitely did not see this. I think this was due to the desperation of people to get on board thereby squeezing out the 100% in a month!! Wetin go come remain to chop  

pumping777:

As someone don post photo quiz. make I post my own brain teaser jo.

One company dey for NSE with capitalization less than N1B.

I come hear say the capitalization go move reach around N4B by year end. About N1B will come from rights issue and the balance should come from capital appreciation.

So if I do the numbers, that could mean 100% appreciation.

I beg una, which stock fit be this? smiley smiley smiley

If you get am, come believe, make u grab a copy at a shop near you. No CICO for this one o.

[/quote]
Quote from: Mr. Risky on February 01, 2008, 11:01 PM
TRANSNATIONWIDE EXPRESS  
[quote]

pumping777:

smiley cheesy grin

Smile, Smiler, Smilest!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 4:06pm On Mar 05, 2008
@HOUSE I HAIL O

Highlander:

cool cool Fair enough! But give us some idea - and maybe one example, just one.

Na wa o  grin, you are reminding me of one film I watched "owo baba ijebu" just give me one number make I pam am.

NSE is not too big now how difficult will it be to filter for stocks that have dropped 20% recently even if you shine eye well them don mention tire for some previous pages  grin

On GTB, e be like say the 1 for 4 bonus get fuel sha, finally my sister will gree me rest, the girl don dey hala me for the so called fantastic return I promised after encouraging her to invest in NSE and GTB in particular.

@Pumping, can you elaborate on cut off date, if I sell immediately bonus or woreva date don close, dem go still credit with bonus ko.

@Wanjao, I see as you just shenk me for my agbero broker request, no shakin, hol yourself because ajebo get days wey butter dey run out  tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 4:11pm On Mar 05, 2008
Na wah, I just returned from Nigeria, managed to retrieve my oceanic certs. When I got there, I was told all certs had been sent out, SEC had come round  the week before and asked that they post everything out. Went to my post office box (conveniently opposite the Registrars on Awolowo road) and found a slip to call at the counter. Eventually collected all 300,000kg of my oceanic loot  kiss

Opened a second account with Vetiva, I was impressed by their profesionalism. As for IBTC, my broker sent someone to inform me she was "busy on the phone" and whether someone else could help. No problem there anyway, as I'd already made up my mind to move 50% of my portfolio to Vetiva.   tongue

ATM's dey work for Naija true true oo! Generally, I think Naija's looking promising,  loads and loads of opportunities to pile up the dosh. Naija is the only place I've been where a  standard hotel room cost $400.00 per / night. As for me, another couple of years and I'm outta here, go make myself some seriousss dosh in Naija. cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 4:18pm On Mar 05, 2008
ITS IS OFFICIAL

CASHCRAFT DON MAD

MY DIAMOND THAT WAS IN THE GREEN YESTERDAY SHOW IT IS -41.34%
IF TO SAY I NO KNOW SAY E NO DEY DO PASS +/- 5% NA SO I FOR JUST DIE LIKE DAT.

AWON WERE.

AND MY BROKER DEY TRY O!

(1) (2) (3) ... (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.