Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,992 members, 7,873,195 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:41 AM

Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? (982 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by naliakar: 10:56am On Aug 31, 2009
Whenever I introduce myself to foreigners that I am Nigerian, they almost all invariably follow up with a question whether or not I am Igbo. This pattern is so consistent that I am tempted to ask Nairalanders why Igbo is the default identificational marker for a Nigerian to most non Nigerians.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by zmurda(m): 11:33am On Aug 31, 2009
where?
it certainly has ne'er happened to me. they tend to want to know which part of Nigeria I am from. Most tend to know loads of people from Lagos, not one has ever mentioned being Igbo
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by redsun(m): 12:35pm On Aug 31, 2009
naliakar:

Whenever I introduce myself to foreigners that I am Nigerian, they almost all invariably follow up with a question whether or not I am Igbo. This pattern is so consistent that I am tempted to ask Nairalanders why Igbo is the default identificational marker for a Nigerian to most non Nigerians.
You are probably light in complexion.They tend to associate light skin nigerian with the igbos.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2009
@POSTER

U prolly need to see a psychoanalyst. Megalomania coupled with ethnocentricism is a clinical condition.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by naliakar: 1:18pm On Aug 31, 2009
redsun:

You are probably light in complexion.They tend to associate light skin nigerian with the igbos.

Could be a coincidence considering that there are as many light skinned Yorubas and Hausas etc.
Xavier.:

@POSTER

U prolly need to see a psychoanalyst. Megalomania coupled with ethnocentricism is a clinical condition.

Well might be a solution but one only tangential to the question. Probably it is all due to the fact that most well known Nigerians are of Igbo descent and have left  indelible Igbo marks on political as well as cultural discourses. Look at it this way, the world knows more about Achebe and his world than they do about Soyinka despite the laters's Nobel prize. Talk of Nigerian soccer and the first names that come to mind past and present are Igbo. Not because there are none from elsewhere, but because there is just a dominant and staying mien in anything Igbo. This in spite of Yoruba's or Hausa's numerical stregth here and in the diaspora.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 31, 2009
Knew that was where u were heading. Pls see a pychologist as soon as possible.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nchara: 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2009
Indeed, Achebe may be more popular globally than Soyinka, but that is at their personal levels. So please drop this Igbo=Nigeria shit. It just does not fit in. BTW, it is not in the best interest of the Igbo that they will be the default face of Nigeria. This will mean that all the Nigerian criminals strutting foreign lands + our incompetent leaders back home, are seen as Igbo by default
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by sjeezy8: 1:52pm On Aug 31, 2009
naliakar:

Could be a coincidence considering that there are as many light skinned Yorubas and Hausas etc.
Well might be a solution but one only tangential to the question. Probably it is all due to the fact that most well known Nigerians are of Igbo descent and have left indelible Igbo marks on political as well as cultural discourses. Look at it this way, the world knows more about Achebe and his world than they do about Soyinka despite the laters's Nobel prize. Talk of Nigerian soccer and the first names that come to mind past and present are Igbo. Not because there are none from elsewhere, but because there is just a dominant and staying mien in anything Igbo. This in spite of Yoruba's or Hausa's numerical stregth here and in the diaspora.

lol when was achebe more globally known than Soyinka?

lol funny guy

incase you didn't know all in the government are from all tribes and the most abroad are either Yoruba or Igbo so of course it is reasonable for people to think igbo or Yoruba. Nigerians PERIOD are seen as the same there isn't any tribe that is full of angels. Its about time Naija folks drop this tribe shit cause when a Nigerian is published in the news abroad they dont say " an igbo Nigerian man" or "a Yoruba Nigerian man" THEY SAY NIGERIAN MAN, NIGERIA, OR NIGERIANS

@post not sure where you live . But in MD or London, New york the first tribe i hear is Yoruba
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nchara: 2:08pm On Aug 31, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol when was achebe more globally known than Soyinka?

lol funny guy

incase you didn't know all in the government are from all tribes and the most abroad are either Yoruba or Igbo so of course it is reasonable for people to think igbo or Yoruba. Nigerians PERIOD are seen as the same there isn't any tribe that is full of angels. Its about time Naija folks drop this tribe shit cause when a Nigerian is published in the news abroad they dont say " an igbo Nigerian man" or "a Yoruba Nigerian man" THEY SAY NIGERIAN MAN, NIGERIA, OR NIGERIANS

@post not sure where you live . But in MD or London, New york the first tribe i hear is Yoruba
Read ma post careful. I believe no tribe is the default face of Nigeria and it is actually a disadvantage to be so for a thoroughly corrupt and run-down Nigeria. Regarding Achebe and Soyinka, Achebe's books are translated and read in over fifty languages. Soyinka's are not, probably only in Yoruba. Even Things Fall Apart has a Yoruba version. That makes Achebe more popular.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nchara: 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2009
Nobel price does not exactly mean global popularity. It is an elitist thing.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by sjeezy8: 2:12pm On Aug 31, 2009
it wasn't directed towrds you i mistakenly quoted you

but yes understood Achebe is known for being more of an Igbo, Soyinka is known for being a Nigerian.
Great writer Achebe and thats what hes known for but Soyinka is overwhemingly known for his activism through out Africa and the world
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by vigasimple(m): 3:40pm On Aug 31, 2009
naliakar:

Well might be a solution but one only tangential to the question. Probably it is all due to the fact that most well known Nigerians are of Igbo descent and have left  indelible Igbo marks on political as well as cultural discourses. Look at it this way, the world knows more about Achebe and his world than they do about Soyinka despite the laters's Nobel prize. Talk of Nigerian soccer and the first names that come to mind past and present are Igbo. Not because there are none from elsewhere, but because there is just a dominant and staying mien in anything Igbo. This in spite of Yoruba's or Hausa's numerical stregth here and in the diaspora.

That is the MAIN Nigerian problem right there ( ATTEMPTED DOMINATION OF ONE TRIBE OVER THE OTHER) we have had civil war from that and the whole argument is still going on.

In my own view NO TRIBE OR ETHNIC should attempt to feel superior or try to dominate any other. and in any event all this 'superior' thing is relative and sometimes overblown out of proportions. In some areas, one tribe my be better than the other and vice versa BUT to then think your tribe is better than others in a country like Nigeria is showing the seed of discontent. We have a very brutal civil war already, and we certainly do not need another.

God bless the people of Nigeria.

Apart from attempted tribal dominance, our other major problem before we get to any other problem is, FAILURE OF LEADERSHIP, then closely follow by CORRUPTION,  POWER and other INFRASTRUCTURES.  EDUCATION, and
HEALTH FACILITIES, in that order
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by tpia5: 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2009
OP

nothing to do with your appearance, right?

You're Tanzanian but people always mistake you for Igbo, abi.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nobody: 1:50am On Sep 01, 2009
E ma tan ara yin je. . . Igbo ko, Gidigbo ni! grin
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by chiogo(f): 2:02am On Sep 01, 2009
It depends on where you live in the States. some places such as Texas have lots of Nigerians, Igbos there probably live in a specific city, mostly.
I had a teacher who transferred from TX to here and when I told him I was Nigerian, he asked if I was Igbo. According to him, there are lots of Igbos there. So, yea, it mostly has to do with your location.

And when did this turn to another war? Just for the record anyway, Chinua Achebe is more universally known. His books are read in schools here so that's my take on that.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by zmurda(m): 10:26am On Sep 01, 2009
I think I hear more Yoruba spoken than Igbo. Is it that most Naija in diaspora passed through Lagos at one point.

We jokingly say Yoruba is the second Naija language after the Pidgin English. I even picked up a few words of Yoruba even though I never used to speak!
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by mattfeuter(m): 11:12am On Sep 01, 2009
Nchara:

Read ma post careful. I believe no tribe is the default face of Nigeria and it is actually a disadvantage to be so for a thoroughly corrupt and run-down Nigeria. Regarding Achebe and Soyinka, Achebe's books are translated and read in over fifty languages. Soyinka's are not, probably only in Yoruba. Even Things Fall Apart has a Yoruba version. That makes Achebe more popular.

Sharaaaaap dere!!! wat abt d Igbo Guys Duping pple all over d world? now u come here and talk abt Achebe being popular, better dont start any Tribal war cuz i ll lay down d differences 4 u easily,
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Bialegend(m): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2009
naliakar:

Well might be a solution but one only tangential to the question. Probably it is all due to the fact that most well known Nigerians are of Igbo descent and have left indelible Igbo marks on political as well as cultural discourses. Look at it this way, the world knows more about Achebe and his world than they do about Soyinka despite the laters's Nobel prize. Talk of Nigerian soccer and the first names that come to mind past and present are Igbo. Not because there are none from elsewhere, but because there is just a dominant and staying mien in anything Igbo. This in spite of Yoruba's or Hausa's numerical stregth here and in the diaspora.
Yoruba and awusa numerical strength here and in diaspora? In your own imagination? especially the awusas? Amazing.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
Bialegend:

Yoruba and awusa numerical strength here and in diaspora? In your own imagination? especially the awusas? Amazing.
Lunatic. . .
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by kadman(m): 5:10pm On Sep 01, 2009
jassie:

E ma tan ara yin je. . . Igbo ko, Gidigbo ni! grin

W O R D !
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by chic2pimp(m): 11:20pm On Sep 01, 2009
z-murda:

where?
it certainly has ne'er happened to me
. they tend to want to know which part of Nigeria I am from. Most tend to know loads of people from Lagos, not one has ever mentioned being Igbo
It has never happened to me or any one I know too.undecided undecided undecided . I bet this thread would soon follow the usual tribalistic pattern.
Re: Why Is Being Nigerian Equated To Being Igbo? by Chief66: 5:31am On Sep 02, 2009
Pls i will like u to give me some lucky numbers to play today pls

(1) (Reply)

Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) / Anyone Going To Nigeria From The Uk? Pls Help / Nigerian Court Guard Jailed For Stealing From Barristers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.