Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,889 members, 7,915,561 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 06:55 AM

Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) (997 Views)

My Funny Jjc Experience In Canada........ / Driving From Lagos To Abuja / Accommodation In The Washington Dc Area For Newcomer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by VAbound: 9:39pm On Jul 08, 2010
Hello my peeps,
I am about going to the states. I will be there for a very long time (2yrs plus). I want to know wat i need to drive in the US.
Can i just go with an international drivers licence
What is the process for getting car insurance
Thanks people.
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by naijadiva2(f): 9:50pm On Jul 08, 2010
im not sure abt international drivers license, they may and may not let u use it or u might have to get a US license.

as for car insurance, its mandatory. there are different companies that u can call up and get a approx rate and from there choose the insurance plan that best suits your need and that is affordable.
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by oyewolejos(m): 10:15pm On Jul 08, 2010
naija_diva:

im not sure abt international drivers license, they may and may not let u use it or u might have to get a US license.

as for car insurance, its mandatory. there are different companies that u can call up and get a approx rate and from there choose the insurance plan that best suits your need and that is affordable.
About Driving, every state has different laws about driving.Like here in California u can drive for 3 months with International Driver's license written in English then u can also apply for a California State license if u are legal immigrant.Though most state doesn't recognise International driving license from Nigeria cos they know that even a blind man can get a Drivers License in Nigeria so is better u stay off driving till u get your State Driver's license.
On insurance u dont need to pay much.Just approach a family or friend to add your car on their insurance so by the end of the month u gonna be paying them like $50 which is better off since u are a new driver here.
But if u find the Full coverage insurance advisable then u can approach insurance companies for quotes.
Full coverage is advisable if u own a very expensive car.But if your car is just an average car thenit makes economical sense
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by VAbound: 10:22pm On Jul 08, 2010
Thanks naijadiva and oyewolejos,
very helpful,
@oyewolejos,
i am legal grin grin
wat documents do i need to apply for the state drivers licence
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by jonyjay(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2010
@poster. Oyewolejos has said it all. contact the DMV of your state and find out what they require to drive in US, the law varies depend on the state.
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by VAbound: 10:58pm On Jul 08, 2010
@johnjay,
are you sayin if i get the licence from the state i plan to reside, i cant drive interstate? OR?
Pls all in the states, enlighten me
Thanks
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by oyewolejos(m): 11:19pm On Jul 08, 2010
VAbound:

@johnjay,
are you sayin if i get the licence from the state i plan to reside, i cant drive interstate? OR?
Pls all in the states, enlighten me
Thanks
If u have a state driver's license u can drive in the whole US and sometimes in Canada.But if u want to change your former state license to the new state just go to their DMV and pay for change of License.In this case u dont have to take the driving test all over again.
Any license issued in any state here is valid throughout the US and in Canada.
Contact your local DMV for case by case information
Cheers
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by VAbound: 12:04am On Jul 09, 2010
@oyewolejos
thanks bro
nice work u r doin here
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by omega25red(m): 2:47pm On Jul 09, 2010
to add to the already valuable info that has been posted here

For example NY: you will have to meet what they call a points system to be able to get a drivers licence meaning multiple documents

travel documents like passport or alien registration cards are like maybe 4 points in a 7 point system and you will also need thigs like social security card and maybe birth certificate to meet all the points. After that chances are you will be asked to apply for a learners permit and be made to also take a road test.
To register a car you will need insurance or if you are driving your family or whom evers car they dont have to but it's good to add you to the list of drivers on their insurance. If you get a lincense, you can drive in all states including the u.s virgin islands some parts of canada and some parts of mexico and some other south american countries.

if you move to a different state and you want to change your license to that states license you will need a renters lease or something proving that you are a resident of that state.
Re: Driving In The US For Newcomer(JJC) by coolier(f): 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2010
If you're a tourist in US you can drive with your[b] Nigeria's drivers licence[/b] although a lot of people don't know this. And if legally migrating to US you can also use it for I think 6months to 1year because Nigeria is party to the UN Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943).

oyewolejos:

Though most state doesn't recognise International driving license

Weird but true, they do not recognize International drivers licence but they all recognize Nigeria's drivers(driving) licence.

(1) (Reply)

Enjoy South Africa Now / Mauritus Infos / A Nairalander Trip To PH!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.