Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,495 members, 7,885,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 11:21 PM

How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. (22166 Views)

Trailer Load Of Tramadol And Other Drugs Seized By Customs Officials. Photos / Nigerians Dig Out Buried Frozen Chicken Seized By Customs / Four Bullet-proof Vehicles Hidden In A House In Ikoyi Seized By Customs. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Jay542(m): 3:01pm On Jun 18, 2016
madridguy:
Be a gentleman and honour their invitation. Police is your friend.

they're not anybody friend oo. The guy will bail his phone i can assure you of that. And he will pay counter fee for them taking care of the phone. The NPF/SARS are thieves.! My own story iss worse sef. But story for another time.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Jay542(m): 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2016
madridguy:
Be a gentleman and honour their invitation. Police is your friend.

they're not anybody friend oo. The guy will bail his phone i can assure you of that. And he will pay counter fee for them taking care of the phone. The NPF/SARS are thieves.! My own encounter iss worse sef. But story for another time.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by poseidon12: 3:03pm On Jun 18, 2016
SolaceAndexIII:

I saw one of the Policemen, he said I should go and bring money to bail the phone....he does not know I was there to see the DPO.

If you can get another phone that can record your discussion with them, use it to record the demand for money. Then report to the DPO. If they deny, play the recording. If the DPO does not treat the case well, go to the Area Commander. Always go to the station with somebody.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by ewosk: 3:05pm On Jun 18, 2016
dgr8truth:
I thought of opening a thread, to complain about the, extra judicial killings, harassment, oppression, and intimidation of the police in warri, effurun and udu.

What the op narrated is exactly what they do. They stop you, ask you to bring out your phone and the receipt. If the receipt of the phone is not on you sorry that is the end of the phone same thing with laptops and other electronics gadgets.

The nigerian police are actually our worse enemy. I was arrested about two years by men of the nigerian police by 7pm in a market, my offence according to them was buying cow meat by 7pm, a young man I met in the cell was arrested for illegal standing.

The term for my estate that year na "Wandering" them dey kidnap people from 7pm upward that time especially for December.... When you reach station... dem go tag you say they caught you wandering....Dem arrest my church member that time with Emu bread and milk wen milee send am...

NPF have a lot of crooks....if you see kpor kpor na to bail out....
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
OP hope you are okay?? Come back and tel us how things went

PS: I think you should remove your number

1 Like

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by mikeuz(m): 3:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
I recall a day a friend spent a night with me, around 10pm a call came that is wife has been taken to the hospital, she was in labor, we rushed out to get a cab or keke, we waited outside but couldn't see any, by 11pm, I was shocked when my friend said "please let's go back if we don't now, police will come here to rob us or kidnap us.This happened at ovie palace rd warri.Have been out of warri for about a year, and I just couldn't understand how my friend could make such decision; I asked why the decision, and he replied "I have people with my wife, and she will be fine, I will see her in the morning, but if police meet us here, I won't see her tonight or in the morning and the money I will use for hospital bill, will be use to bail me and much more".

The police are your friend indeed.
Police and FRSC are terrible in warri

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Laid2001: 3:51pm On Jun 18, 2016
DEY DON BAB THE OP OO
I hope police are still friendly with him oo.

@OP Let us know if you are ok please!!. Fellow Nairalander wants to know yuo are ok.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by armadeo(m): 3:55pm On Jun 18, 2016
deandavid:
IT HAPPENS IN WARRI EVERYDAY, BECAUSE OF THE INCREASED CRIME RATE WITH KEKE, POLICE DO ROUTINE CHECKS, THEY EVEN GO THROUGH PHONES, OP, DID YOU SHOW THEM ANY FORM OF ID CARD? I WAS ALSO STOPPED LIKE THAT ON JAKPA ROAD, THEY WASTED MY TIME, ASKED ME FOR ID CARDS, THEY ASKED FOR THE RECEIPT OF THE PHONE, I TOLD THEM I DONT GO AROUND WITH RECEIPT OF MY PHONE, SO THEY ASKED ME TO GO GET MY ID CARD, THE PHONE RECEIPT TO CLEAR MY SELF AT THE EKPAN POLICE STATION, WHICH I DID, THOUGH VERY PAINFUL, I HAD TO GO ALL THE WAY TO OSUBI TO GET MY PARTICULARS AND WENT STRAIGHT TO THE POLICE STATION (ANTI ROBBERY UNIT), SHOWED THEM ALL THEY WANTED, THEY GAVE ME BACK MY PHONE. TILL TODAY THAT POLICE MAN BECOME MY FRIEND, WHENEVER I AM PASSING THROUGH JAPKA ROAD, I JUST HAIL THE MAN "OFFICER HOW FAR NA" HE WONT EVEN BOTHER STOPPING MY KEKE. MIND YOU I NO GIVE ANYBODY KOBO. SO BROS GO COLLECT YOUR PHONE NOTHING DEY HAPPEN, UNLESS YOU TIFF AM OR YOU BUY WITHOUT RECEIPT.

Receipt for phone?

Guy I don't even know how many phones I have used. I have at least 6 junk old phones that were once my pride dumped in a drawer somewhere. Even my current phone I have no idea where the receipt is.

Anyway police cannot take my phone. I will follow them to station make dem call me thief or kidnapper. N.a. lawyer go end case.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by histemple: 5:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
tellwisdom:

You are dull. In a saner clime, police are not allowed to check ur fone. Which skeleton bone you keep inside the fone wey u dey find? sad

People are just ignorant and the police is taking advantage of that.

In Nigeria, the police has no right to touch your phone until he gets an affidavit from the court, and our IGP Solomon Arase has warned the police force to desist from the human right violation.

If this OP files this case in court, the police man may either pay damages or be sacked--------or even both.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by ndornu87(m): 5:04pm On Jun 18, 2016
JBismarck:
OP, if you have no skeleton in your cupboard I see no reason why you didn't oblige them in the first place or why you shouldn't go to their station especially with the current delicate security situation in that part of the country.

Follow police to station? If you no enter cell you must bail out the phone
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by kennykg(m): 5:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
The Nigerian police force is just a body of crap they just should sack all of them, they once arrested my friend just for charging his phone in someones shop along with everyone there except the shop owner by the anti robbery squad.
Detailed they for no good reason an it was on a Friday evening, we couldn't let them spend the night there. ..
So we started pricing bail like meat, they started with 100k for each person ( how much do they even earn) at the end it was 2k that we parted ways with.
More reasons why they never prosper in life when they just want to oppress innocent people... Just a bunch of wasted eggs
Mtchew

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by BumbleDevil: 5:45pm On Jun 18, 2016
JBismarck:

Nope, I was picked more than 3 times at night and didn't argue with them, I got to the station on two of those occasions and didn't pay a dime before I was released. That is Lagos police sha o, I don't know of Warri police.

About 6 years ago, On my way back from work, I was stopped on a bike at about 9pm in front of Obalende Police Barracks and was ordered into their bus. I behaved like a gentleman since I have nothing to hide and entered their bus. All effort to dialogue was ignored and we eventually got to Dolphin Estate Police Post at about 11:30pm after arresting other innocent people going home after the days work.

On arrival at the Police Post, We were told to remove our clothes and write down items on us in a ruled sheet. After this exercise, One Inspector who was in charge of the operation showed up and declared that we were the robbers terrorizing the community infact one police officer who limped as a result of gun shot wound from robbers had threatened to shoot us but for intervention of his colleagues who cautioned him that it was OGA that sent them on our arrest mission. We were all locked up in an overcrowded cell.

Few hours later, they started calling us out one after the other (which I later learnt was based on how much you declared in the register). It didnt get to my turn untill almost 3am and the officer started preaching that it is not good to walk about at night...bla bla bla... he said bail was N3K and I declared N1,800 in the register. I was released with the condition that I should bring the balance of N1,200 at day break. I sat at the counter and made my way home at about 5:30am.

When I went back with my Dad and our family lawyer, all the people arrested with me who couldnt secure their bail before 8am were taken to court as criminal suspect and eventually reprimanded in Ikoyi Prison.

@OP, you are very right not to follow them. That will be the last thing I will ever do again.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by AKMoney1(m): 6:19pm On Jun 18, 2016
Oga seun abeg help call op oooo, it's already 6pm. The guy dey station since ooo grin cheesy
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Ghost01(m): 6:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
Suffered a similar fate this afternoon in the hands of one Bala Danjuma, a police officer, between Okene and Lokoja en route to Zaria. I had to part with N1000 after he had poked my right eye and threatened to break my leg after I confronted him as to why I will be travelling around with the receipt of a laptop I've been using since 2012. I have already obtained the phone number of the police commissioner in Kogi State. I will report the said policeman to everyone who cares to listen.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Franklindinho1: 6:49pm On Jun 18, 2016
Like play like play Op is no where to be found. shocked
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Naijageak(m): 6:58pm On Jun 18, 2016
the issue of police intimidation and harassment Nigerian citizens is something that needs national discussion. its a known fact that the police always do this that's why people don't like going to station with police.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by zeedof(m): 7:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
JBismarck:
OP, if you have no skeleton in your cupboard I see no reason why you didn't oblige them in the first place or why you shouldn't go to their station especially with the current delicate security situation in that part of the country.

I actually wanted talking to your sense that you're senseless but am not the type. What if they are not real police? At least we have heard about soka at Ibadan and how some people got there. Also it is very wrong for police officer to do such at operation by asking for passenger phone, it has been condemn by the IgP. If I were the one I will do the same but go to the station next day with ten lawyers because I must charge them to court for damages.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by JuanDeDios: 7:55pm On Jun 18, 2016
everydayperson:

Man.. you need to wake up from that purposeless dream of yours quick -- Unfortunately when you are dealing with patently illiterate and massively dubious Policemen - you can only carry along a lawyer and a group of people.. preferably in a bus carrying an NGO logo.

1: They will accuse you of running away from the scene of a robbery where you dropped your phone
2: They will use your phone to send text messages and make calls to robbery/kidnap syndicates to rope you in.
3: They will simply throw you behind the counter, strip you down to your dingaling and have cell mates beat the shiii out of you. you could even die in the cell
4:They demand a bail of N25,000 - N30,000 but usually will take N10k

The Nigerian Police.. both the educated and the illiterate ones... are just the same only one looks stupid and evil, and the other one looks smart and evil.

THE POLICE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.. their prostituting daughters are grin grin grin

Lol. You bad o!
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by gallantsoldiers(m): 8:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
IT VARIES.

AND IT ALSO APPLIED TO US,

D MILITARY.

SOME ARE GOOD,

AND SOME ARE BAD.

SORRY OP.

GET A GOOD LAWYER AND SUE THEM.

UR PHONE WILL BE BACK!

WITH MONEY FOR DAMAGES AND DELAYED AND ALSO DENIAL BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES WHICH YOU MISS DURING D TYM UR PHONE IS ILLEGALLY HOLD HOSTAGE BY THEM.

DONT WORRY.

EVERYTHING WILL BE BETTER SOON.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by benswagtt(m): 8:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
Jailerrr:
Na your type police de mess up, why not obey the last order, bcz say na police ba, if na soldier now you for waste one mins? or if na for obodo oyibo you for don begin enter motor before they enter tell you to,sit down there no go call your phone back..
are u a police?
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Petroking: 8:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
Do u really expect anyone to answer your question. Do u know what happens when your phone is collected and you are asked to enter the police vehicle. Whether guilty or not. It's totally wrong. Just pray u don't get treated in such way and u end up suffering for what u don't know

JBismarck:

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by streetzdreamz(m): 9:01pm On Jun 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Well, there's as such as a crime of lottering here grin
lmao,arrested for loitering they'd say huh??bross i cant laugh abeg.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Stevosty: 9:15pm On Jun 18, 2016
Phone receipt? Hey, where I do buy phones here in Lagos, slot to be precise, their reciept goes blank within a week of purchase.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by SenatorJames(m): 9:42pm On Jun 18, 2016
Go and meet them, they may have repented before tomorrow morning
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
A soldier would never harass you unless you give him cause to.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by OgaTheTop2: 11:56pm On Jun 18, 2016
So, where's the Op?
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by ErasmusCOMP: 12:15am On Jun 19, 2016
The Nigerian police surprised me on one occasion.
I took a medication that made me drowsy that day. While getting close to my house around 7:30 pm, I discovered my second phone is gone. Not sure where I lost it... (Iyana Ipaja, Agege, Ojuelegba, Ikeja)... I decided to forget it. But on a second thought, I called my phone. The man who picked the call invited me to a police station the next day to claim the phone.

Hehehehehe! How my phone take waka reach that place. I was convinced naija police no be my friend.
The next morning saw me informing friends to 'come and bail' me should I become unreachable on phone...

... Thanks to those cops after customs compound along Bank Anthony Way Ikeja (what's that their name again... something like 'works and transport department' )
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by predatorX: 1:34am On Jun 19, 2016
obiekunie1:

[size=13pt]SEE DIS ONE TALKING OF RIGHTS IN NIGERIA!! shocked shocked

WELL LATER WHEN E DON HAPPEN TO THE OP YOU COME TELL ME IF A DEAD MAN HAS ANY RIGHT! cheesy

SEBI U SABI RIGHT BA? OYA READ DIS QUOTE:[/size]

[size=14pt]IF ONLY YOU UNDERSTAND THE HIDDEN MESSAGE IN THE QUOTED COMMENT. I CAN BET YOU THE PERSON THAT TYPED THAT COMMENT IS A POLICE OFFICER! HE JUST SENT A MESSAGE FOR THE IMMEDIATE ARREST OF THE OP!

ITS ALMOST 3PM AND WE HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE OP! GBEGE! lipsrsealed undecided[/size]

You need to grow up, seriously.

You just dey rant anyhow. Where person leg long reach, na dia another person hand just dey start.
Y'all just wanna bully the Op into admitting defeat but you can't break his will that easily.
I better remain jobless and have my dignity than become a policeman

As for naija police, na Anenih and Osunbor and Shina Rambo shall you encounter every day, as long as you continue to oppress the innocent masses.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by predatorX: 1:40am On Jun 19, 2016
benswagtt:
are u a police?

The lady no get shame. You no sabi that woman wey dey harass those Danfo drivers for Ojuelegba, na she dey code for NL.

All her talk na station talk, no sense in them. God help Nigeria.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by VajanahDischaj(f): 1:45am On Jun 19, 2016
lekjons:
try to check their names(written on their chest) next-time..

it'll go a long way in implicating them online..
good thing you didn't follow them, i have feeling things might have gone worse had it been you did..

on a second thought, they might be kidnappers.. one have to be very careful
I concur!!or worse, they could set up this young man and he'd find himself in SARS torture dungeon for months.
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by dayleke: 4:47am On Jun 19, 2016
Biko!!!!!
Where's the OP?
He hasn't made another comment since o......
Re: How I Was Harassed And My Phone Seized By The Police Yesterday. by kingthreat(m): 5:15am On Jun 19, 2016
ufinity:
if you jam some police ehn, you must go and call that person that you claimed to have in house of assembly.. Some police men na deaf and dumb, dem no dey hear word.

It is illegal to check people's phones.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake Doctor Arrested For Stitching Woman's Womb & Urinary Tract Together In Ondo / Gunmen Attack Delta Police Station, Kill Two / EndSARS: Hakeem Odumosu Meet Protesters, Promise To Follow IGP's Directives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.