Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,767 members, 7,927,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 10:18 AM

Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children (570 Views)

Woman Injured In Taraba Explosion Breastfeeding Her Baby (Photo) / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time / Tips For Having Healthy Sperm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children by Olafeazy(m): 7:36pm On Jun 30, 2016
Feeding a new born with either baby formulas or breastmilk has been the order, but one supercedes the other according to research and thus, the World Health Organisation (WHO), American Accademy of Paediatrics (AAP), Federation International of Gynaecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) and other related bodies have made a position that for optimum health of the baby, there should be EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING FOR 6 MONTHS.

Now, what are the importance of breastfeeding the baby, most especially over giving baby formulas?

1. Digestability: breast milk contains enzymes very compatible with the baby's digestive system, thus giving uptimum bowel movements and good stool formation.

2. Immunity: since the baby's immune system is not optimal yet, breast milk containing antibodies comes to the rescue to help fight infection and keep the baby healthy.

3. Higher IQ for the baby: even though you might not realise this early, but it has been shown in a UNICEF endorsed study that exclusive breastfeeding raises the IQ of a child by about 7points as compared to babies who weren't breastfed.

4. Type 2 diabetes and overweight: diabetes and overweight is a growing health problem and studies have shown that exclusive breastfeeding reduces the risk of developing both diabetes and being overweight at infacy and adolecent ages.

5. Sleep: breastmilk contains the hormone cholecystokinin which helps the baby relax and have a very good sleep after breastfeeding.

6. Reduces the risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): According to a 2008 study submitted to the American Accademy of Paediatrics, there's about 50% reduction in the risk for developing SIDS by children who were exclusively breastfed.

7. Reduced risk of breast cancer development and type 2 diabetes in the mother.

8. Accelerated post-delivery recovery including osteoporosis prevention.

For optimal development of the child, 6 months exclusive breastfeeding should not be taken for granted, it is key to having a very healthy baby. Don't substitute for baby formulas during this period.

Kindly like my page on facebook www.facebook.com/olafeazycom
Re: Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children by youngest85(m): 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
6 months no too much?
My mama gemme dat 4 only 3 months....
No wonder i no gree grow!
Re: Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children by queenoflafia(f): 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
I sucked for 18months
Re: Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children by Olafeazy(m): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2016
youngest85:
6 months no too much?

My mama gemme dat 4 only 3 months....

No wonder i no gree grow!

No it's not much. That's the recommended duration. After 6 months, partial breastfeeding is ok.
Breastfeed your baby well ooooo
Re: Importance Of 6 Months Breastfeeding - Having Healthy Children by Olafeazy(m): 10:00pm On Jul 03, 2016
queenoflafia:
I sucked for 18months
Mama knew what is right! Hope you'll do the same

(1) (Reply)

How To Lose Weight Fast With The Cabbage Soup Diet / Please I Need A Dental Advice / C24/7 | The Next Generation Food Supplement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.