Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,323 members, 7,881,189 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:07 PM

Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) (7429 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / Police Make N.1m From Kano-jigawa Road Checkpoints Daily / Tinted Glass Ban Comes To Lagos Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Jafour: 5:27pm On Sep 21, 2009
[/quote][quote author=Megadeals link=topic=325031.msg4563690#msg4563690 date=1253210364]
Nigerians are unbelievable. I have a car that is currently being held up in Spain, because two out of the four cars in the container were stolen! A price i have to pay because RO-RO is not allowed from Canada and because Nigerians too criminally minded.

These criminal activities affects everyone. It used to be when you meet a foreigner, upon learning your nationality, they will say Oh! you guys are very good soccer players. Now it's simply Ah! you guys are very smart, an euphemism for being a criminal.
I don tire for Nija o jare.

You are damn right on the highlighted. Many nationals including other Africans in the western world think every Nigerian is crimininally minded (smart). The bottom line is that buyers in Nigeria encourage these thieves knowingly or unknowingly. The way buyers negotiate the price of cars on NL  make you wonder if the cars advertised were ever shipped from obodo oyinbo.  Anyone that can click  a mouse on the internet can harass a guess on the price of any vehicle including shipping and even determine the  profit margin of  a car dealer.  Obviously, a buyer knows or seem to know he is buying a stolen car.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by kizi: 5:45pm On Sep 21, 2009
posakosa:

Its kinda new to me too, How would you get a stolen car out of the U.S ? I don't know, doesn't one need to submit the correct papers for it to be shipped, I know people ship cars but that car needs to be cleared appropriately then people put <illlegal items inside the car> I've heard of durgs being shipped but a stolen car, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Can someone explain to me how this is done ?!

Check on this page later in the day you might get one grin grin
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by koolchicco: 6:04pm On Sep 21, 2009
posakosa:

Its kinda new to me too,  [b]How would you get a stolen car out of the U.S ?[/b] I don't know,  doesn't one need to submit the correct papers for it to be shipped,  I know people ship cars but that car needs to be cleared appropriately then people put <illlegal items inside the car> I've heard of durgs being shipped but a stolen car,   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

See ur sand-paper Head!Why u wan know?Abi u wan try? tongue grin
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Sagamite(m): 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2009
I don't understand how this work.

So if a Nigerian has bought a car in good fate and with the right due diligence, they would lose all their money when the car is reclaimed because some government (local or foreign) did not do their job?
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by jaybee3(m): 6:22pm On Sep 21, 2009
Sagamite:

I don't understand how this work.

So if a Nigerian has bought a car in good fate and with the right due diligence, they would lose all their money when the car is reclaimed because some government (local or foreign) did not do their job?
Isn't that what happens in the UK? if you unknowingly buy a stolen car in the Uk, the car gets seized and you loose all your money.
Me thinks 'em guys (Interpol) are really after the big fish not the random stop and search cos if they can go visit Jenju's forecort then be rest assured they are after 'em dodgy dealers with ties to cars coming from North America
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Sagamite(m): 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2009
jay bee:

Isn't that what happens in the UK? if you unknowingly buy a stolen car in the Uk, the car gets seized and you loose all your money.

Is it?

I have never seen or heard it happen. That is just categorically unfair.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by mamagee6(f): 6:40pm On Sep 21, 2009
Good news but why does every good thing have to be done in Abuja? undecided
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by jaybee3(m): 6:41pm On Sep 21, 2009
that's certainly the way it goes down Sag.
buyers have the sole responsibility of doing adequate checks before buying cars.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Megadeals: 6:48pm On Sep 21, 2009
posakosa:

Its kinda new to me too,  How would you get a stolen car out of the U.S ? I don't know,  doesn't one need to submit the correct papers for it to be shipped,  I know people ship cars but that car needs to be cleared appropriately then people put <illlegal items inside the car> I've heard of durgs being shipped but a stolen car,   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

How would you get a stolen car out of the U.S?  If the White House was movable, Nigerians would have attempted to steal it. The question should be how did we get to be so dishonest.

1 Like

Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by ufot(m): 6:51pm On Sep 21, 2009
candylips:

undecided undecided

what so funny about this na??
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by posakosa(m): 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2009
Megadeals:

How would you get a stolen car out of the U.S?  If the White House was movable, Nigerians would have attempted to steal it. The question should be how did we get to be so dishonest.

No, I still ask the same question ? How does one get an illegal car of the U.S. ?! Since 9/11 it has become quite difficult to move illegal items/or a big fish like a car <just like that > , it might just be a scheme by the Nigerian police/military to take what does not belong to them ?!

kizi:

Check on this page later in the day you might get one  grin grin

I would really like to know.

koolchicco:

See your sand-paper Head!Why u wan know?Abi u wan try? tongue grin

Yes now, ahn, money is a good thing.  grin  cool
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by GeorgeD1(m): 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2009
Megadeals:

are you saying you are dishonest? grin
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Megadeals: 7:07pm On Sep 21, 2009
George_D:

are you saying you are dishonest? grin

No Sir, I am not dishonest. You probably know what I'm talking about but just trying to be "Smart"

1 Like

Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by GeorgeD1(m): 7:22pm On Sep 21, 2009
but you just said you were dishonest when you were wondering how you became dishonest like this?
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by posakosa(m): 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2009
pls its ok ehn, we should not be fighting, wink

can we get back to the topic at hand, anyone know how to get a stolen car out of the US ?
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by GeorgeD1(m): 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2009
are you advocating stealing here?
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by posakosa(m): 7:31pm On Sep 21, 2009
No, I am critiquing the logic behind the post.

How does one get an illegal car of the U.S. ?! Since 9/11 it has become quite difficult to move illegal items/or a big fish like a car <just like that > ,

Is this just a scheme by the Nigerian police/military to take what does not belong to them ?!
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by GeorgeD1(m): 7:33pm On Sep 21, 2009
most probably just a stunt by those potbellied hoods in black.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by posakosa(m): 7:34pm On Sep 21, 2009
yea could be.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Pittbaby(f): 7:48pm On Sep 21, 2009
hmmm i wonder if carfax shows if a car has been stolen
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by steroid: 7:56pm On Sep 21, 2009
Make dem no waste time, if dey wan see the thing wey dem dey find, make dem go Ladipo and Trinity spare parts markets.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Igwe9(m): 8:01pm On Sep 21, 2009
Pittbaby:

hmmm i wonder if carfax shows if a car has been stolen

Yes, Carfax or Autocheck does show that.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:06pm On Sep 21, 2009
they certainly do-for sure.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by basmong: 8:55pm On Sep 21, 2009
Our mumu neva do. Why we d run away frm oda presidos? Ask turai? Sorry Y'. Our primary 6 police wetin b dier work?
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by HajiaTanko: 9:34pm On Sep 21, 2009
All this unwarranted brouhaha over NPF like we all don't know the real situation on ground.

I have to say it's a welcomed development though.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by jingoma(m): 10:50pm On Sep 21, 2009
Its Naija OH, Dont be surprised if those people are thieves themselves. They will impound legit vehicles under false claims that it was stolen!, WAIT so are they going to return the cars back overseas?? .NO!!  They are either going to sell them to the "Oga's" for a cheap price or sell them in the open market and share the proceeds. (SMH) If they are really looking for thieves tell them to check all the VIP vehicles in Abuja, They will  find PLENTY! masqueraded as Government officials. But then that depends on IF this thread is true in the first place "Its Naija OH!
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by oge4real(f): 10:54pm On Sep 21, 2009
This is a welcome news, but I think they should have done this at the ports and borders to limit the burden of loss to the importers and not to innocent buyers.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by davidif: 12:50am On Sep 22, 2009
why Abuja of all places? They will recover a bunch if they do set up check points in Lagos.

adex, you are right jare.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by shoggy24(m): 12:51am On Sep 22, 2009
oge4real:

This is a welcome news, but I think they should have done this at the ports and borders to limit the burden of loss to the importers and not to innocent buyers.
Abi!! you would think that would have being the smarter move.

Like Posa has being asking, i am also curious on how you can actually export a stolen car out of the US. Maybe it would have being easier back in those days but the security is tighter and it is a lot harder.
I hope the owner of the seized cars are asking for proof that their car is actually stolen.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Fhemmmy: 1:37am On Sep 22, 2009
I wish Nigerians can use all the brain to develop things and not just use it to destroy the name, Nigeria.
The security is tighter, however, only at the airport.
The stolen cars are not just from the USA, but from almost anywhere in the world.
They are stealing rides from Nija to sell in Cotonue, so what else is new.

Demand pushes supplies
Some buyers make some ridiculous demands that gives market to these kinda nonsense, and i think it is time for Nigerian govt to do something.
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by naijaking1: 3:49am On Sep 22, 2009
Who's surprised about stolen cars in Nigeria?
How else do you explain somebody selling 2008 Honda Pilot exl(about $45,000) for 2.5 million naira in Nigeria?
Re: Interpol/Nigeria Police Setup Checkpoints In Abuja (Is Lagos next?) by Megadeals: 4:48am On Sep 22, 2009
George_D:

but you just said you were dishonest when you were wondering how you became dishonest like this?

I can see that figure of speech is not one of your strong points. Maybe you should go back to school and get some education. Omo ole.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) / Chinese Tech Giant Tencent Buys $1.7 Billion Worth Of Tesla Shares / Toyota Camry Pencil (1997) Consumes Fuel A Lot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.