Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,829 members, 7,872,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:47 PM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47902 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bmo: 6:28pm On May 28, 2007
whatever, TIMI  IS THE 1ST WA IDOL he has the sweetest and most captivating voice so he deserve it and i know he will make it .
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 8:41pm On May 28, 2007
Voting percentages are in. Timi had 63% of the votes. smiley

I love his new song, cannot stop listening to it. I went to bed singing it and woke up with it in my head. Think I have watched it a dozen times today.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by simstar(f): 9:14pm On May 28, 2007
there's no denying Timi is a great singer!
he is no doubt.
but still(my opinion) i would have prefered it if Oma had won
why?its like this;
if fro example both of them had concerts or better still lets use the shows
with Timi's performance u are sure u r agoing to listen to someone with a good voice sing and thats it, the end!
but with Oma, u get the full package, she has the stage craft, the presence, the aura, lets face it the girl is an entertainer!
thats the difference between Kelly Klarkson and Carrie Underwood. whereas kelly will entertain you with her craft, Carrie is just some one singing with a nice voice.
this is just my opinion though!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:54pm On May 28, 2007
Actually Kelly and Carrie are both great outstanding singers, but neither are the best entertainers. Both Omawumi add Timi are better performers and entertainers than both of them.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by DoubleN(m): 10:02pm On May 28, 2007
Good for Timi he was definitely the best of the pack!Keep the dream alive boy.You have made Nigeria proud.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kewe(f): 11:15pm On May 28, 2007
Double N:

Good for Timi he was definitely the best of the pack!Keep the dream alive boy.You have made Nigeria proud.
yeah im really happy for him. wishing him all the best
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Femex(m): 9:46am On May 29, 2007
Timi won and deservedly so, he's a great singer and electric on stage. Take nothing away from Omawumi, she definitely won't be forgoten in a hurry. The Ekwe song she did, brilliant, absolutely briilliant perfomance. Folks, who is the original singer that song Ekwe, please help me out
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 2:36pm On May 29, 2007
Femex:

Timi won and deservedly so, he's a great singer and electric on stage. Take nothing away from Omawumi, she definitely won't be forgoten in a hurry. The Ekwe song she did, brilliant, absolutely briilliant perfomance. Folks, who is the original singer that song Ekwe, please help me out
Femex, the original singer of Ekwe is Onyeka Onwenu.
BTW, Anyone knows where LawyerChap is? It's unusual of him to keep quiet like this. LAWYERCHAP!!!! Where Art Thou
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by BenDan(f): 3:40pm On May 29, 2007
Timi won by a great majority of votes - 63%. Coming from nowhere with no family to keep down money and vote for him like Temitayo did, it speaks volumes of the guy's craft. Timi's fans have admitted that he has some work to do on his speech, which has nothing to do with his craft by the way.

However, it beats me how Omawumi fans continue to live in denial of the issues being raised here about her lack of identity as an artiste. Who is Omawumi? Her failure to identify herself probaby cost her a whole lot of votes and made Timi a clear winner. If you read through previous posts, you'll find that Timi fans do not say she is not a good performer, entertainer, sexy, learned, etc. Their major problem with her is that she is not defined. We do not know her voice. What does she sound like?

Omawumi will most likely get a record deal and not fade from the scene. So will the likes of Eric, Jodie, Uche, Omodele, etc. But ability to define themselves, I am not talking of genre of music here, I mean their own sound will determine how far they make it in music.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 4:26pm On May 29, 2007
so damn glad timi won.
he deserved it more than omawunmi. she wasn't even in the picture initially.
wow! go timi, goooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE GRAND FINALE SHOULD HAVE BEEN JODIE OR JOAN, WITH TIMI.(i need to get over myself, thats so stale, cheesy)
BUT SO GLAD TIMI WON. I'M IN HEAVEN.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 4:35pm On May 29, 2007
lawyerchap, where art thou?
or are u one of them omawunmi's fan, still grieving and in denial? i hope not. cheesy cheesy cheesy

to all timi haters.
timi won, live with it. cheesy cheesy
as for your certainty that he would make a poor representative for west africa, i say just wait and see. you'll eat your words yet!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 4:44pm On May 29, 2007
@ BenDan.

I agree with your post, distinctive voices in the competition were Joan, Uche, Eric , (even though I don't like his tone of voice), Jerrilyn (help!!!), and Timi , they are very recognisable voices. I could close my eyes and know who was singing.

I cannot say the same for Omawumi and even Jodie. Jodie was very good, and what made her recognisable was her style of singing, repeating certain words, like you.you.you. and a certain way of phrasing, but I am not sure I would know it was her singing immediately.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Gamine(f): 6:01pm On May 29, 2007
Omawumi is my own Idol
i cant get that Bob Marley song outta my head, i evn recorded it

She was definately the best performer,
i didnt evn like her initially but she rose up distinctively

its ok she didnt evn win cos that Price money, NAWA and Picantowhut is that!!

As for Timi,
No one in my house liked him and we are all Female,
he has a diction problem
he makes singing look reli hard, his face is terribly squashed when he sings
he cant sing well enough
he had the worst performance ever *just giv me the night/Light*
But
HE Won, he def needs the price mo,
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by BenDan(f): 9:21pm On May 29, 2007
@ Gamine
Timi's fans are not excited about the prize money or car. They are really excited about the Sony BMG deal. It gives this amazingly talented artiste a credible platform to launch his career. It is an artiste's dream come true.

Either you love Timi or you leave him. Manufacturing weaknesses that - I most point out - have nothing to do with his craft is kind of pointless at this time. Africa has choosen him as their Idol. Period! Timi's fans love him just the way he is.

Timi is a humble, respectful, kind, gentle, and Christian young man. Character speaks for something. He has his whole life ahead of him and the whole world to conquer. No amount of hating will take that away from him.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chukky76(m): 10:20pm On May 29, 2007
There say its the poor man who says meat and eggs are bad 4d heart. What u call consistency on timis part was a severe lacking in talent so stop trying to euphemize it. It was a talent hunt. A voyage of discovery. Its expected that any true talent should go thru a range of genres and show versatility in most to be truly worthy of being called talented. Timi was consistently cowardly, sticking to a genre that worked for him, scared to stray from dat genre lest we discover the limitations of his talent. Oma on the other hand pushed and stretched her talent to its breaking point. And it never broke. Timi will get boring by his 5th song. But i can only imagine how versatile an oma album would be. So stop spouting that consistency crap. Oma was a consistently surprising and unpredictable performer with a whole range of vocal skills. The perfect entertainer. Timi was consistently unimaginative and sometimes boring. There was nothing to look forward to. And its versatility like omas that has kept artistes like madnona ahead of d game. I give timi 1year 2hold ur attention with his music. But with oma it would av been different. Timi is good, but oma is a better artist than timi will ever dream of being.I just wish sony gets to sign both of them and give them d same resources. Studio time and marketing promotion. Do you really believe timi will be more successful than oma? In your dreams. And u guys timi won so stop ur bias. I can n i will recognize omas voice anytime of d week n twice on sunday. D fact than u recognize busta rhymes faster than u recognize pink doesnt make busta a better artiste. Oma performed 2 c. aguilera tracks. And a bob marley. And she nailed them. What r u guys talking about. U guys dont know wat musical talent is. At a job interview r u taken because u r only intelligent? No. Its a range of abilities that sets u apart from d nerd with no people skills. N dats what timi is. A musical nerd with no other talent but a gruff singing voice suited to just one genre of music and absolutely no people or presentation skills. No beef. Just d truth. Timi cant represent d way oma would av. N we all know dis. Lawyerchap is my brother and i guess he is still stunned that africa chose predictable n safe over unpredictable and daring.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kaydee(m): 1:11am On May 30, 2007
simstar:

there's no denying Timi is a great singer!
he is no doubt.
but still(my opinion) i would have prefered it if Oma had won
why?its like this;
if fro example both of them had concerts or better still lets use the shows
with Timi's performance u are sure you're agoing to listen to someone with a good voice sing and thats it, the end!
but with Oma, u get the full package, she has the stage craft, the presence, the aura, lets face it the girl is an entertainer!
thats the difference between Kelly Klarkson and Carrie Underwood. whereas kelly will entertain you with her craft, Carrie is just some one singing with a nice voice.
this is just my opinion though!

Na lie! Timi is far ahead,Timi's got both and better.The only thing she can do more than Timi is mimic any artiste.She's been watching Musicals since birth.Nollywood will be good for her too cos she can copy.

@ Chukky

She be ur girlfriend? She's a jack of all.She tried but Timi is unique in whatever he does.Did u hear their personal song? I think Timi was born to sing.She's versatile is what they say but she does everything like the original singer.It's obvious u've been watching Timi with ur eyes open and ears closed.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 6:15am On May 30, 2007
Huh Timi deserves it oh.Ha i wish him well in his career.Wetin im win sef?

Wan Love Bro
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 6:22am On May 30, 2007
Ha Timi killed it oh.Hes last performance na die
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chukky76(m): 7:01am On May 30, 2007
KAYDEE

i never said that timi can't sing. it becomes clear to bme that you read with your eyes closed and your brains shut off. i have admitted severally that timi is a good singer, just one with not a very broad vocal range.

and u guys please shut the hell up with this consistency crap.
you say omawunmi was mimicking, if the competition wasnt about mimicking and seeing how well you can perform the works of other artistes then there would have told them to perform only their songs throughout the competition. or there would have told them tho perform only one song which fits their voice and their style and then the whole nigeria can vote.

what the f**k do you people think was the essence of bringing them out week after week? you think it was to hear them sing the same song or same style of songs week in and week out? it was to test their vocal abilities under varying conditions and across genres. u guys are so stupid you can't even realise that. or was timi not copying phil collins and michael bolton and luther vandross when he performed their songs? because he was bad at copying  not much else u people scream consistency. negating the very essence of the talent hunt

timis vocal talent and strength is seriously lacking, limited to only slow, nasal sounding songs. THATS THE TRUTH.

oma showed true talent and vocal versatility in all her songs, making each one her own. she had only one bad performance which was her mary j blidge, which wasnt so bad considering there had 1 week to prepare for 2 songs. but timi had almost three lacklustre appearances, singing the same type of songs week in week out with the only variation or attempt at spice being the cheap theatrics of pulling a girl from the crowd or his downright stupid running off the stage.

kaydee i used to have a high impression of your taste in music, but i guess i was way off. way way off.

for the avoidance of doubt. timi is a good singer, no doubt. but oma is way better.

damn what are we saying, timi can't even sing half as much as JArry the ghana boy, AND YOU ALL KNOW THIS. he sang only one song in top 24 but we were all blown away.

if the judges were going to choose without audience voting, timi would not have smelled top five. it would have been joan jodie, jarry, eric and omawunmi. i can assure u.

well like i said in my previous post for a competition where jarry was voted off because he didnt have fans, and jodie and joan were voted off before jerrylyn and temitayo , then i don't really expect much.

I ONLY WISH WE COULD GET UNOFFICIAL OFF THE RECORD REMARKS FROM THE THREE JUDGES AND THE SONY BMG GUY. OMA WOULD DEFINITELY BE THEIR FAV. I GUARANTEE YOU

THE ONLY REASON TIMI WON WAS BECOS LIKE WE ALL KNOW , THE MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT GOOD MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE. AND THAT MAJORITY VOTED FOR TIMI. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

timi won because he had the general population of mediocre music listeners behind him, while oma had only the few connoiseuers of music behind her. OMA WAS OUT VOTED, NOT OUT PERFORMED
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Modups1(f): 8:47am On May 30, 2007
no b small thing oh! all dis hating cos timi won
lets not b sour losers now cos some of us did not vote well when it mattered.
please free timi oh shocked

meanwhile, kia motors could have done better dan dat picanto
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ne4real(f): 9:13am On May 30, 2007
when Timi was declared the idols WA winner, i near screamed my brains off. i'm so happy he won.

Omawomi also did well

Both of them deserved 2 win.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ne4real(f): 9:18am On May 30, 2007
Yeah. Idols shoul d have done better than picanto. Can u imagine d stress they went 2ru, only 2 be given a cheap picanto? d winner desevered better than that.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by BenDan(f): 5:33pm On May 30, 2007
Omawumi fans have only themselves to blame for not installing their Idol using their votes. Com'on 63% to 37% is a bloody trashing. Everyone had between 8:00 pm on May 21 till noon on May 26 to choose their Idol. Timi's fans did what they had to do. Omawumi fans kept on hating on Timi. And Timi won. End of story. No need to hate on Timi.

Timi is the best Idol this continent has ever seen. He is the greatest thing to come out of Nigeria musically. He is phenomenal. He is unique in his singing. His excellence of delivery is undeniable. Think about a recipe made of Seal, Lemar, Lionel Richie, Luther Vandross, Michael Bolton, Donny Hathaway, Bo Bice, Clay Aiken , that is Timi. Timi will take over the world. Watch out!

All Timi's fans out there, send an email to timisfan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and join an online community of his fans.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 30, 2007
uhmmnnnn, well with all ur comments and criticisms,d fact still remains dat d best person for the position won,why cnt we jst be happy for him and pray dat he will be successful in all his endeavours.All d contestants are wonderful but Timi came out to be d first among his equals and am happy for him.Lets thank God for his life and wish him all the best in life.cheers pals.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by raya2j(f): 7:02pm On May 30, 2007
chukky 77

theres great gain in having a  unique voice. that was wat helped timi through. i am really happy he won.  cheesy even most if not all  successful singers have unique voices to set them apart from the crowd. well talking about our nigeria singers like KSA, Oneka Owenu all have their God given Voices. Pple like Barry white, Lionel Riche, mariam makeba all have vocies to distinguish them.

Timi has this soul searching voice and passion when he sings, he sings from his heart and not his head like omawumi, i would have even prefered Jodie to omawumi as the top two.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by raya2j(f): 7:03pm On May 30, 2007
chukky 77

theres great gain in having a  unique voice. that was wat helped timi through. i am really happy he won.  cheesy even most if not all  successful singers have unique voices to set them apart from the crowd. well talking about our nigeria singers like KSA, Oneka Owenu all have their God given Voices. Pple like Barry white, Lionel Riche, mariam makeba all have vocies to distinguish them.

Timi has this soul searching voice and passion when he sings, he sings from his heart and not his head like omawumi, i would have even prefered Jodie to omawumi as the top two.

i really thank God he won and soooooooooooooooooo happy for him
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Ollie39: 7:22pm On May 30, 2007
Wow!! Good luck to him, he really earned it.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kaydee(m): 8:06pm On May 30, 2007
chukky76:

KAYDEE

i never said that timi can't sing. it becomes clear to bme that you read with your eyes closed and your brains shut off. i have admitted severally that timi is a good singer, just one with not a very broad vocal range.

and u guys please shut the hell up with this consistency crap.
you say omawunmi was mimicking, if the competition wasnt about mimicking and seeing how well you can perform the works of other artistes then there would have told them to perform only their songs throughout the competition. or there would have told them tho perform only one song which fits their voice and their style and then the whole nigeria can vote.

what the f**k do you people think was the essence of bringing them out week after week? you think it was to hear them sing the same song or same style of songs week in and week out? it was to test their vocal abilities under varying conditions and across genres. u guys are so stupid you can't even realise that. or was timi not copying phil collins and michael bolton and luther vandross when he performed their songs? because he was bad at copying not much else u people scream consistency. negating the very essence of the talent hunt

timis vocal talent and strength is seriously lacking, limited to only slow, nasal sounding songs. THATS THE TRUTH.

oma showed true talent and vocal versatility in all her songs, making each one her own. she had only one bad performance which was her mary j blidge, which wasnt so bad considering there had 1 week to prepare for 2 songs. but timi had almost three lacklustre appearances, singing the same type of songs week in week out with the only variation or attempt at spice being the cheap theatrics of pulling a girl from the crowd or his downright stupid running off the stage.

kaydee i used to have a high impression of your taste in music, but i guess i was way off. way way off.

for the avoidance of doubt. timi is a good singer, no doubt. but oma is way better.

damn what are we saying, timi can't even sing half as much as JArry the ghana boy, AND YOU ALL KNOW THIS. he sang only one song in top 24 but we were all blown away.

if the judges were going to choose without audience voting, timi would not have smelled top five. it would have been joan jodie, jarry, eric and omawunmi. i can assure u.

well like i said in my previous post for a competition where jarry was voted off because he didnt have fans, and jodie and joan were voted off before jerrylyn and temitayo , then i don't really expect much.

I ONLY WISH WE COULD GET UNOFFICIAL OFF THE RECORD REMARKS FROM THE THREE JUDGES AND THE SONY BMG GUY. OMA WOULD DEFINITELY BE THEIR FAV. I GUARANTEE YOU

THE ONLY REASON TIMI WON WAS BECOS LIKE WE ALL KNOW , THE MAJORITY OF NIGERIANS DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT GOOD MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE. AND THAT MAJORITY VOTED FOR TIMI. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

timi won because he had the general population of mediocre music listeners behind him, while oma had only the few connoiseuers of music behind her. OMA WAS OUT VOTED, NOT OUT PERFORMED

LMAO!!!!! U such a cry baby and a bad loser.Mediocre what?You've got compulsive disorder.I can say Nigerians don't know anything bout what real Hip-Hop is but they know Timi can sing.It's obvious U've not been watching American idol.You fell for all the sexy moves and not her voice coz Jodie's got a better voice.No hype,Timi's talent made way for him.He's just good.He didn't take shots at anyone to get there and he's from a very humble background.About the Top 5,Joan and Jodie were better singers than Omawunmi and the judges keep praising Omawunmi for taking over since Jodie left.You got ERIC in ur top 5?Lol Now i know Ur knowledge of Music ain't broad and general.Stick to Hip-Hop dude.It's obvious you just hatin. Look at their personal songs,na wetin u 4 dey hear be that? Rubbish!

@ raya2j
It's like u read my mind
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Mustay(m): 1:41am On May 31, 2007
I tell that guy that time say timi don win, he was asking me 4 source. Source ko, destination ni.
Muma g- a truly african musician and now another niger deltan- timi!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 2:32am On May 31, 2007
lol
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tng(f): 4:35pm On May 31, 2007
I guess everyone has an opinion on who they think should have won. So all timi fans quit calling people with differing opinion haters cos there is nothing to hate on.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Modups1(f): 10:57am On Jun 01, 2007
tng, noted! wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply)

Raymond Akaolisa 'DJ Raw' Is Dead - His Last Message To Friends Will Shock You / Top 20 Biggest And Most Popular Songs In Nigeria 2016 / Tonto Dike - Hi & Itz Ova

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.